Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By batkevin74
No Caption Provided

CRANK’EM OUT!

It’s awesome and practical advice from Savage Dragon writer and artist Erik Larsen who has been putting out issues on a regular basis since 1993. It’s now 2015 (at the time of writing this).

So welcome to the CRANK verse. The idea is to put out one issue in this universe per week. Every Thursday (or for you people on the other side of the planet Wednesday).

______________________________Basics of the universe______________________________________

It’s 2012.

US President: Stephen Keeling. Republican.

British PM: Nicholas Tyne. Conservative

Super powers: Began emerging in 1988. One of the first was Gunship, a Superman-esque hero, who is still around.

Alien races: Do exist but not known to the wider human public.

To avoid copyright infringement on real world products just alter them ie: Tweeter, Facedbooks, Pepsea, ZNN etc

I’m going to write Gunship and anyone else who wants to join, go ahead. There will be no PM but there will be a weekly deadline.

Why?

One day I want to do this for a living, for money. If I start treating this like a professional then maybe, just maybe I will be. The guy who wrote The Martian, now a movie starring Matt Damon, started by writing a chapter at a time and putting it on his website because he was fascinated about the idea of HOW a person would survive on Mars. E.L James of 50 Shades of Grey fame started out writing slash-esque fan fiction. Orson Scott Card of Ender’s Game wrote ff based in an Isaac Asimov universe. NEIL GAIMAN writes fan fiction and he did the Sandman!

So if you want to join it’s pretty simple: write a chapter and get it posted before the Thursday/Wednesday deadline. You want to write more; fine! But each week on that day it’s a new chapter. Continuity between titles is like current continuity, not that important but if some semblance of order could be maintained that’d be great.

I look forward to you reading, and hopefully writing along with me.

* Issue One of Gunship is here http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/crank-gunship-1-1715186/

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Hmm if I wasn't so overly invested I would join...

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Join now, join later, just read, totally ignore, its all fine

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By ImpurestCheese
TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So we can write about anyone and anything in this universe?

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll give it a shot.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Yup, only rules are that each week you have a new title by the Wed/Thurs deadline. Pump out more if you want but each week on that day is a new title

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1091

@batkevin74: Yipes, weekly deadlines again. <grimaces> I'll probably watch this one (need to finish the bits I've already started), but yeah, that advice from Larsen was spot on great.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: deadlines are just goals or targets or quotas or inspiration or dangled carrot. Like your rent or phone bill it's due on a certain day, why shouldn't some writing be done the same way.

And thanks for the article btw, without it there'd be no crank :)

SirJewKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This looks like something I'd do. I'm VERY interested, but I'm not quite sure if I'll join just yet.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Don't thank me- thank Erik Larsen! ;)

I get the deadline thing- I just know I burned out on the weekly deadlines before, when we were trying to do both Writers Guild and CCC on a weekly basis. That was killer...for me anyways. Some of you are absolute writing machines.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: I'll send him a thank you tweet

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For anyone interested, here's the Erik Larsen post that inspired Batkevin' to start Crank:

My best advice to anybody who wants to break into comics is to produce comics. Just start cranking them out. Put them up online.

If you're "just a writer" then write a handful of imaginary books, month after month. Create characters--or just pretend to write the f***ing X-Men. Write full scripts. Post one every Monday. Get cranking. Get in motion.

If you're an artist--improvise. But crank them out!

A big part of it is simply figuring out "can I do this?" So--try. Do you have that many great ideas? Show me. And by "show me" I mean "DON'T show ME." I mean show yourself--prove it to yourself.

It doesn't matter if anybody sees them. Post them in Facebook if you must. Post them elsewhere. Start a blog. It's not even about getting seen--it's about getting that rhythm. It's an exercise to see if you can do it.

We all have to work through the bad sh*t to get to the good sh*t. There are kinks to be worked out and it won't happen watching TV.

I wrote and drew almost 70 full comics, many as long as 100 pages, before anything saw print. When I broke in I was already a vet. It just helped.

Every comic I've ever done starts with me saying, "how the hell am I going to DO this? It's impossible!" That feeling never goes away. You just have to do it.

He posted it on Facebook on September 15th, 2015- curse-word censoring was done by me to conform to site guidelines. Great advice, whether you do Crank or not. (no, not do crank- Crank. Don't do drugs, kids. Drugs are bad.)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By batkevin74
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers