Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

Part 1: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/crank-gunship-1-1715186/#3

Part 2: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/crank-gunship-2-1715546/#8

Part 3: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/crank-gunship-3-1715975/#6

No Caption Provided

“This is the Bahamas! You have no authority here!” yelled Long Island, his hands powering up with frost as he bobbed up and down on the deck of the trawler.

“When you’re smuggling drugs and people from Cuba to the United States via here, yes I do.” Gunship replied as he hovered above. “The ATF, the FBI and…” A blast of arctic frost smashed into his head as Long Island opened fire.

“Get us out of here!” he yelled to the crew as he continued to blast Gunship. The metallic hero plunged into the water and vanished. “Where is he?”

Tense moments passed as Long Island and his cronies looked around for where Gunship had gone.

“Is he dead?”

Almost on cue, Gunship exploded up through the trawler like a missile causing a fatal leak to the vessel. A hole in each of his palms opened up and he opened fire on the panicked crew; the distinct thud-thud-thud of his gun arms sending them running like rats. Long Island made a shield which prevented him being hit but it was cracking rapidly under the heavy fire as the ship beneath his feet was enveloped by the sea

“AMERICAN SCUM!” Long Island roared as his shield shattered and he returned fire. For a few moments the two attacks countered each other before the superior firepower of Gunship knocked Long Island off his feet and into the water. Gunship flew to him and held his head under the water. Long Island struggled for breath in the vice-like grip but was easily overpowered.

“Don’t worry,” eased Gunship “I’m not actually going to let you drown. You’re just easier to handle when you’re unconscious.”

US President Stephen Keeling looked at the images of Gunship holding Long Island under the water. “Is he killing him? Am I watching a murder?”

“No, sir,” replied Irene Dmenchech, the head of the NSA. “He is…forcibly rendering unconscious a known felon.”

“Forcibly rendering?” Keeling looked up from the pictures. “It looks like he’s trying to kill him. But what would I know; I’ve only been President for a month. So what do we do?”

“Do sir?”

Keeling stood up and gazed out the window to the lawn. “You’re showing me these for a reason.”

“Yes sir. But you don’t have to DO anything. Gunship of the Panopticons was acting on a tip coming for an inter-agency sting. Two tonnes of cocaine lies at the bottom of the sea, twenty one people arrested including Long Island, and one hundred Cubans returned back to Havana.”

“Castro won’t like that,” Keeling said quietly. It went quiet for a while before he spoke again. “Irene…”

“Yes Mr President.”

“Do we…how shall I put this,” Keeling returned to the desk and tapped the photos. “Is there a plan for when one of these…people, go off the deep end?”

“Yes sir there is.”

“I’d like to see them, know what our options are. That will be all.”

Irene nodded “Yes Mr President.”

Gunship and Captain Scorpian flew across the sky as they chased the setting sun.

“So they don’t want me to join because of my doppelganger?”

Gunship nodded. “Something about numbers and popularity. They all voted against your inclusion because evil you, which isn’t you, would make us look bad.”

“It’s understandable,” Scorpian shrugged. “Back in my dimension if you asked to join my team I’d be dubious also. But how much more do I have to do?”

“I don’t know Captain. But I will keep pushing.”

Captain Scorpian smiled. “Thank you Gunship…is that your name? It feels strange that you know my name and I call you by your codename.”

“Ship is fine,” He said with a smile. “Now to answer your questions about Canada…”

“Didn’t you rob this place last year?” asked Blue Bobcat from his perch on the roof of the Institute Of Art in Chicago. “And didn’t I kick your teeth in?”

“BLUE BOBCAT!” screamed Rat el Snake as his beady eyes locked onto his nemesis.

No Caption Provided

“That’s my name and my Tweeter handle!” Bobcat flipped into the air and landed delicately in front of the rat/snake hybrid man. “Ready to dance?”

“Save some for me Bob,” laughed Stunning Girl as she arrived on the scene.

“STUNNING GIRL!” rasped Rat el Snake.

“I think you’ll find Rat el Snake,” said a voice from the billowing cloud thick purple smoke that solidified into Shadowave. “That you’re surrounded.”

“I’d suggest you surrender before Gunship gets here,” said Tigarayan as she assumed a defensive pose. Rat el Snake hiss-squealed as he did circles, contemplating his options before dropping the painting under his arm and placing his hands over his head.

“Good monster,” chuckled Bobcat as he brought out some heavy duty hand cuffs. “But if you want to resist.”

“Oh look who finally decided to grace us with his presence,” mocked Blue Bobcat as Gunship entered High Point.

“If the four of you couldn’t catch Rat el Snake then you don’t belong on this team,” Gunship replied as he took his seat. “I had a more pressing matter.”

“One of these days,” Bobcat waved his fist at the metallic man.

“How about tomorrow?” Gunship said as he checked his terminal. “I have a school visit in the morning and I’m free the rest of the day. Would you like to have a shot Stephen?”

“Call me by my name again Ship,” growled Bobcat “And see what happens?”

“Could you two just stop?” asked Shadowave as he billowed up from column of thick purple smoke and solidified. “As the chairperson of the Panopticons and as your friend, stop, please! This bickering and sniping is childish. Especially from you Gunship. I almost expect it from Blue Bobcat…”

“HEY!”

“Oh don’t act all wounded and surprised Stephen,” Shadowave remarked. “For the rest of the month, which is only nine more days, you two will start acting like team mates on the elite team we are. You don’t have to like each other, that’d be a miracle, but you do have to work alongside each other. If you can’t, well then I’ll have to take steps.”

“Are you threatening me?” Gunship asked staring straight at him.

“No, I’m warning you,” Shadowave said firmly. “Threats are for bad villains and dictatorships.”

To be continued same time, if not sooner, next week.....see you there!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1091

#2  Edited By cbishop

@batkevin74: Okay, I have a few problems with this one:

• Going by the ice powers, I'm assuming Long Island is named after Long Island Iced Tea. I looked it up on Google just to make sure I wasn't talking out the wrong hole (and found an interesting detail)...

The Long Island Iced Tea appears in literature as early as 1961. Alternatively, a slightly different drink is claimed to have been invented in the 1920s during Prohibition, by an "Old Man Bishop" in a local community named Long Island in Kingsport, Tennessee.

:) So anyway, it's an American drink, but he's yelling "American scum," like he's not American? Why would a non-American call himself Long Island? Actually, why would anyone call themselves that?

• In your Crank-verse, supers have been around since 1988, and the President doesn't know about the contingencies for rogue superhumans? Like nuclear contingencies, this is something that would have come up publicly by now, and would have been discussed ad nauseam in various media. I think that not only would the President know, but the public would know that there are contingencies in place. In fact, we Americans have a tendency to dig too danged much sometimes, so the plans would probably be public knowledge so even the supers would know what they're up against. <sigh>
  • The 4 Pan's for Rat el Snake (funny) seemed a bit overkill. But meh.
  • Gunship knew Scorpian's real name, but would tell Scorpian his? Trust issue, sure, but d-bag move! lol (Not really a story problem though)
  • Also, the more I think about that, voting Captain Scorpian onto the team would be a security risk- the evil version could impersonate him at any time and infiltrate the team when the good version isn't around.

Still liking it. Looking forward to the next one. On to read Imp's chapter.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop said:

So anyway, it's an American drink, but he's yelling "American scum," like he's not American? Why would a non-American call himself Long Island? Actually, why would anyone call themselves that?

Why does anyone call themselves anything, because often it sounds cool to them. Especially non-English speakers. Also HE may not have named himself, like Superman was named by Lois Lane, Strong Guy took his from a dumb reporter question etc. Also I didn't really describe Long Island very well in hindsight

• In your Crank-verse, supers have been around since 1988, and the President doesn't know about the contingencies for rogue superhumans? Like nuclear contingencies, this is something that would have come up publicly by now, and would have been discussed ad nauseam in various media. I think that not only would the President know, but the public would know that there are contingencies in place. In fact, we Americans have a tendency to dig too danged much sometimes, so the plans would probably be public knowledge so even the supers would know what they're up against. <sigh>

Keeling has only been President for a month. He got sworn in on Jan 20th and there's a whole bunch of useless hand shaking, applause accepting, promise re-promising, slogan yelling, party appointing, people meeting and phone calls from around the world wishing congratulations he has to do. He probably knows there are plans, hence his tentative asking Irene if there were plans. It's like asking Pandora if she has a box, which will inevitably lead to you asking her to open it

• The 4 Pan's for Rat el Snake (funny) seemed a bit overkill. But meh.

Yeah but that's something the JLA never do. I'd honestly love to see Riddler running out a bank to smack bang into Aquaman and then get surrounded by the rest of the JLA, all his lovely riddles for naught. The Avengers did it a bit when Cage, Wolverine and Spider-Woman beat up the Wrecker and did it stupidly back during the Busiek era when 22 Avengers couldn't stop Whirlwind!

Thanks for the feedback. Off to write more for my self imposed deadline

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@batkevin74: Rat-el-Snake now that's hilarious. Nice cool out to Long Island in the Bahamas, although the powers didn't make too much sense but hey what evs. Also feeling sorry for Captain Scorpion, but I understand why he can't be on the team.

Nothing can hold the Whirlwind!! Nothing!!!
Nothing can hold the Whirlwind!! Nothing!!!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Gonna see if someone can draw Rat el Snake, a little Arabic/Hispanic rat-snake. Might go to Fiverr

Long Island gets his name from the drink as @cbishop correctly guessed

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@batkevin74: Boo, I thought it was Long Island, Bremuda

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ImpurestCheese
batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Well go see part 5 to see how right you are...or not :)

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/crank-gunship-5-1717055/

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1091

@impurestcheese: Long Island gets his name from the drink as @cbishop correctly guessed

@batkevin74: Boo, I thought it was Long Island, Bremuda

In this case, Imp', it was knowing a couple of non-CV details about Batkevin' that led me to the right answer. That, and I have a thing for drink names. ;)

@batkevin': Twenty-four years after the first super shows up, the President would not tentatively ask anything- it would be common knowledge that contingencies are in place. He might ask to see the plans, but he'd know plans exist. <shrugs> But meh, minor detail in a great story. Reading part 5 in a bit.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So far I would probably say my favourite character is either Captain Scorpian or Blue Bobcat. Somewhat undecided.

Really good series so far. I really liked seeing the border politics for superheroes in this universe. No idea why. Also liked seeing President Keeling.

I think this series should really just be renamed to "The Panopticons" since they're pretty much the stars of the show. But whatever. Title doesn't affect a thing.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Damn, Kevin these Gunships are freaking awesome. Really liking Blue, Ship, and Remus.

That talk show interview was pretty funny. Gunship is a Dick. I love it :-)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardiandevil83: Yeah he's a bit of a d!ck but mainly because he's been around so long and so good at what he does.

@tommythehitman: I thought about renaming it too then it probably wouldn't have turned into this.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped