Character Creation Contest #60- Space Horror

This topic is locked from further discussion.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By stumpy49er

For this contest I want to celebrate one of my favorite genres. Horror in Space. I love the Alien movie franchise and the Deadspace video game series, so I'd love to add some fan fic to the genre.

No Caption Provided

For this contest I want you to create an original character in a space horror story. The character can be the monster itself or it could be the hero or villain of the story.

As for the universe, it can be an original space horror universe or you can use an already existing one, like Alien, Deadspace, Planet of the Vampires, Critters 4, etc. Or you could use an existing sci/fi world like Star Trek or Star Wars and put some horror elements into it. Nazi zombies in Star Trek: Next Generation or Werewolves vs. Jedi. Whatever you want, as long as it's space and horror.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No word limit.

Deadline is in two weeks. May 7th at 11:59 pm Pacific time zone.

Write something scary.

Have fun!

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ooh! Interesting!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

Coolio

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1068

I'll have to give it a think, but I'm pretty sure I can come up with something.

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There once was azombie who lived on the moon. How he got their, nobody knew.

But he soon made his presents knwon when he ate neil armstrong and buzz aldren.

Michaerl Collins, the poor chap left in the space ship above the moon could only watch; along with the billions at home with the event boradcast live into every corner of the globe.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

Interesting

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've tried writing something for this three times; each time coming up with bugger all! Proving to be quite a challenge

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Well here's my entry, hope you guys enjoy :-)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Sun Dragon of Achnor

“Welcome to Königsberg Orbital Station,” A human female voice stated over the PA system as the group of tourists descended from the boarding ramp of the shuttle and headed towards customs and immigration, “brought to you be Gothenburg Computing and Cyber Security. Gothenburg, we keep the stars connected.” It added, as the last passenger, a female figure dressed in a thermal jumpsuit, mag-boots and a bulky wrist mounted data processor stumbled down the boarding ramp, a silver and red cane feeling the ground in-front of her. After a short wait in the queue, she finally made it to customs and slowly turned herself to face the excise officer. Looking up from his papers, the officer jumped slightly when he saw the grey scaled face topped with indigo down and a pair of long feathers, not to mention the bulging faded yellow eyes that stared blankly at him.

“Papers please” He grumbled as he gestured for the woman to present her documentation for inspection. Checking the large leg pocket, the woman began to panic as she couldn’t find what she was looking for. “Look viper,” He spat, “you need your papers ready immediately, didn’t you read the signs on the way in?” He snorted as he ran down the passenger manifest of the recently arrived shuttle and stopped on the only name not marked as ‘cleared’ by the security AI.

“I’m sorry, I have a copy stored on my data processor.” The woman replied in a hissing accented voice, as she ran her bony black nailed fingers along the buttons on-top of the computer, the sensors strapped to her digits reading the braille on the keys. “Look, here they are,” She added as she pressed a trio of keys revealing an electronic copy of her passport, movement details and permission to travel.”

“Hydrus Kyra-Brown.” The customs officer sneered. “A viper with a permit to travel.” He hissed in a voice that matched that of the woman he was speaking to. “And a seal from the Colonial Department of Tourism to go travelling before attending University on Terra!” He spat in an unpleasant voice, as he eyed Hyrdus’s stick. “May I ask why you’re here at Königsberg Orbital Station?” He asked, as he deliberately ignored the details listed by the ‘Permit to Travel through Terran Colonial Space’.

“I’m here to see the ‘Sun Dragon of Achnor.” Hydrus told him, only to realise the damming mistake she had made in that statement. While not totally blind, her third eye could determine the difference between light and dark, her ability to see anything more than that was non-existent. What she had meant to say was experience the Sun Dragon of Achnor, and while blind she knew that the customs official was rubbing his hands in glee at that cock-up.

“You are registered as blind.” The customs officer grunted. “You have permission to be here, but I’m going to need you to surrender that cane for the duration of your stay, you see it could be used as an offensive weapon.” He added, as he placed a button on the desk, activating a pair of mechanical manipulators that snatched Hydrus’s cane away.

“But I need that!” Hydrus gasped, as she checked the damage to the braille reading sensors on her fingers. “How am I meant to get around?!”

“Use the handrails.” The customs officer snorted. “If you have a problem with that ‘viper’ go and see the Office of Disabled Relations.” He added, as he went back to whatever he had been doing before. Feeling for the handrail, Hydrus walked down a corridor away from Customs, anger and confusion swirling round her mind.

Despite the general unhelpfulness, the term ‘Viper’ really got under her skin, due to its use as a derogatory term for all members of her species, the Kandagare, whenever they came into contact with humans. The Kandagare had a word for humans that was foul themselves, Desk’ill Mes, which translated into Terran Trade Tongue as ‘the killers of children’, something Hydras had been told by her mother never to say, since humans were well known for their easy to insult natures. The reason for this dislike, not to mention the origin for the insult, came from events almost fifty years prior, when the Kandagare has elected in an outward facing government that wanted to reclaim the mining rights to the moons orbiting their planets, rights that humanity had claimed ten years previous despite the presence of the native population in orbit, albeit only in small number. After the elections humanity had acted aggressively, and had sent so called ‘Peace Keepers’ to remove what they saw as an oppressive government using orbital bombardment and artillery strikes, something that had led to casualties on both the civilian and military Kandagare population.

Reaching the end of the handrail, Hydrus heard a whirring sound and turned to face the sound. While it was possible that it was a servo-droid, the accompanying heavy footed stomp suggested a cyborg, or someone with a mechanical foot. Bravely she cleared her throat before asking, “Excuse me can you shoe me to the Office of Disabled Relations please?”

The cyborg stopped before replying, “There is no Office of Disabled Relations here, or on any station. And by that I mean that any rep, or security officer should attend to the needs of a disabled visitor or staff member.” She stated, as she looked Hydrus up and down, the servos in her mechanical leg and arm clicking as the internal clock counted down to some unknown event. “My name is Veronica, I’m the station’s Coolant Control Engineer, I can’t help you at the moment Miss, but once the Sun Dragon Event is over, I can see to it that you get help. If you keep going another few meters you’ll reach the observation deck, I’ll come find you there in about half an hour.”

“Thank you.” Hydrus replied as Veronica started clicking and whirring towards the nearest lift down to the station’s lower levels. Staggering forward, Hydrus walked through an automatic door into a room that smelt and sounded like it was inhabited by a lot of people. Judging from what she’d heard about the Sun Dragon of Achnor, she wasn’t surprised that so many visitors had come to see the giant solar flare erupt from the surface of the star. Standing behind a bank of chairs, Hydrus could here faint tribal sounding music ring through the chamber in a tongue she didn’t recognise. It wasn’t her kind of music, she preferred some of the old Terran songs, and was currently listening to the exploits of the band Monkees vs Beatles whilst in transit, or when she had spare time on her hands.

“The Sun Dragon will erupt in five, four, three, two, and one!” The same mechanical voice announced over the PA system as a wave of warmth enveloped the station, one that caused a euphoric tingling sensation to run through Hydrus’s body. “The Sun Dragon of Achnor brought to you by Gothenburg Computing and Cyber Security. Gothenburg, we keep the stars con…” Before the computer could finish a scream sounded and Hydrus could feel more and more heat flood into the chamber, not to mention the rush as people ran out of the room. Turning away from the observation room, she was jostled to the floor by the crush of fleeing humans. Trying to get to her feet, Hydrus saw a light so bright it silhouetted everything around it, including the security team that had just arrived. Stepping forward the light reached out to one of the guards and with a bright flare of light and heat incinerated the man, before casting his body aside. Screaming and shooting the other guards backpedalled, the glowing orb of light following them, the smell of burning flesh filling the corridor.

Taking two deep breaths before gagging, Hydrus got to her feet using the handrail and unzipped the thermal jumpsuit she was wearing. Being cold blooded her species needed additional heat protection when in space, but now she was too hot from whatever had come aboard. Stumbling along the corridor, Hydrus’s first instinct was to get to the shuttle and escape, but as she reached customs she heard the roar of the transport leaving and felt the rumble of the bay-doors opening. In a last ditch effort to escape she screamed, “I’m still here, you’ve left me behind! I’m still here, please!!”

“Who is that?” A voice asked over the PA system.

“Ve…Veronica? We met outside the observation room?”

“You’re that blind ‘Viper’.” Veronica gasped. “Where are you?”

“It’s Hydrus, and I’m in Customs.” Hydrus replied. “There is something here, something that burns people.”

“Okay Hydrus listen, there is an elevator in a room just off customs. Call it and come down to maintenance, I’ll meet you there.” Veronica replied. “You have a processor right, give me the connect code, and I’ll talk you through anything that you need help with.” She added.

“It’s 5B99-SPT-08(KAS NET).” Hydrus told her as she felt for any-kind of door that would lead to the elevator bay, eventually stumbling through and over to a panel with a single button, its braille translation reading as ‘down’. Pressing the button, Hydrus felt a wave of heat run through her body, and started jabbing the button faster as fingers of light began to peek round the edge of the door. Pinging on arrival she fell into the lift, before pulling herself up as the orb of light stood in the doorway of the room. Running her hands across the buttons, the sensors connected to her fingers didn’t have enough time to translate the meaning of the braille, and her own flesh was too insensitive to make out the entirety of the symbols. “Which button, which button?!” Hydrus screamed as a wave of heat and light strode across the room towards her.

“Bottom row, centre button.” Veronica replied, her words guiding Hydrus to her target just as the burning figure reached the doors of the lift, a whip like tendril reaching out and wrapping around Hydrus’s arm, excruciating heat coursing through her body for three long seconds until, with a ping the doors of the lift closed, cutting off the source of the heat with a scream that sounded like metal rubbing against metal. Gripping her burnt arm, Hydrus slumped to the floor and groaned in pain as the lift descended before coming to a stop with a ping, and the sound of clicking and whirring sounded as Veronica walked in and helped her up.

It was cold where Veronica was working, even with the thermal jumpsuit covering Hydrus’s body, but she reasoned that it was better than being burnt alive.

“Okay, I just received an executive order from the Gothenburg CEOs.” Veronica sighed. “They want the station purged and ready to re-open for visitors tomorrow. I told them to go screw themselves, but they were right, the station needs to be purged of whatever that thing is.” She added, as she placed something cold and mechanical in Hydrus’s hand. “That’s my spare crutch, it’s been immobilized so you should be able to walk with it.”

“Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it. Never expected that losing an arm and leg to an IED in the Let’hiss Valley would end up helping someone fifty years later.” She added. “I’m going to flood the entire station with the coolant supply, see if we can freeze whatever this thing is.” She continued, as one of the computers chimed that it had found something.

“What’s happening?” Hydrus asked as she ran her hand down the crutch.

“Computer has been running facial recognition on whatever that thing is.” Veronica explained. “It got a match in the ‘culture and xenoanthropology database’ with Flasrag the Achnorite God of Immolation. Apparently his followers would sacrifice small numbers of their own people to him, once a year…” She stopped as she looked at the humanoid figure wreathed in flame and with six black gem like eyes embedded in its face, whip like tendrils of flame sprouting from its back, “…Oh for the love of, they played a traditional Achnorite summoning chant in the observation chamber prior to the Sun Dragon’s eruption. Management summoned this thing, and everyone on board was a sacrifice.”

“How did the Achnorite’s stop him?” Hydrus asked.

“They didn’t, he’s a God, they basically locked him in a room and he burnt everything inside and then left.” Veronica replied. “He leaves when we leave.”

“So let’s leave then!” Hydrus snapped. “He goes away when we leave the station right?” She asked as the computer chimed again, the AI dragging up an internal feed of the shuttle craft, burnt bodies littering the cabin.

“No, he doesn’t.” Veronica replied, as she got to her feet. “We can vent the coolant from any terminal using my access card, including the ones by the escape pods. I need you to keep the pod from launching until I’m inside, since it will automatically eject when I activate the command. Can you do that?”

“I think so.” Hydrus replied.

The lift ride back to the top floor grew more uncomfortable with every floor it passed as the heat rose. Veronica had grabbed a portable refrigeration pistol, designed to keep deliveries cool, on the way out, but both she and Hydrus doubted how much good it would do if Flasrag attacked them.

“I’m sorry you lost so much on my planet.” Hydrus stated quietly as the doors pinged open.

“I’m sorry I was rude to you earlier, it was uncalled for.” Veronica replied, as the pair of them left the lift and headed for the aft launch bays. Reaching the pods unchallenged, Hydrus walked over to the nearest pod and climbed in, before feeling around on the control panel for a level marked as ‘Manual Override’ in braille. “This won’t take long.” Veronica stated, as opened the access panel across the room and stabbed the access card into the security reader.

“Veronica behind you!!” Hydrus yelled as a glowing substance dripped from the vent above the room. Typing a quick command into the console, Veronica turned and drew the pistol just as the glowing substance solidified into the inhuman form of Flasrag, his glowing form in between Veronica and the escape pod. Opening fire Veronica released a volley of frozen gas at the god as he advanced on her, his scream of pain echoing through the station at the exposure to the sheer cold of the pistol forcing him back out of the room.

“It worked, a few more seconds.” Veronica announced as she typed a final command into the terminal. “In twenty seconds the entire station’s environment drops to a few degrees above absolute zero.” She added, unaware of the melting wall behind her until a glowing hand grabbed her by the neck, flames running down her body.

“Veronica!!” Hydrus yelled.

“Release the lever!!” Veronica screamed seconds before her body was burnt beyond recognition. Following her orders Hydrus waited for the pod to disengage, only for the entire mechanism to shut down, a warning flashing on screen that the release clamps had become fused to the station. Crawling out of the pod, Hydrus felt a sudden wave of cold wash through her body as thick steam vented form the pipes of the station.

Hydrus’s thermal jumpsuit had been working overtime just to get her to the observation chamber, the warmest part of the station, the heat from the star Achnor keeping the worst effect of the cold at bay. Clutching the crutch and the refrigeration pistol, she slumped down in-front of the window in a vain attempt to survive.

“Play the ‘Sun Song’.” She whispered, as her she typed something into her wrist mounted computer, her body shivering uncontrollably from the cold.

“Here comes the sun (doo doo doo doo)” The singer sung, as Hydrus saw a glowing figure standing in the doorway to the observation chamber, its fire dying down from the excessive cold.

“Here comes the sun, and I say it's all right.” Hydrus raised the pistol and took a shot, unaware of the warning message stating that the gun was out of coolant. Reaching down Flasrag picked her up by the head, intense pain radiating down her body for what seemed like an age before eventually both the music and the pain stopped.

Flickering for a few seconds Flasrag looked out at the sun before exploding into ash. As he left the PA system crackled to life. “Gothenburg Computing and Cyber Security thanks you for visiting Königsberg Orbital Station, please come again. And remember Gothenburg keeps the stars connected.”

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is all my brain could conjure up for this...

__

No Caption Provided

Medical Log: Stardate 7410.3

Medical Ensign Yashima Lane recording on behalf of Doctor Leonard McCoy, who has been taken ill due to a strange parasitic growth that has attached itself to his facial and neck region. Attempts to remove it have proven unsuccessful. The parasite doesn’t seem to be harming him. Further tests and analysis to be taken; results copied to Captain Kirk’s personal journal as per his request.

__

Captain’s Log: Stardate 7410.31. My, good friend and the ships doctor, Bones McCoy has been infected, if you will, after beaming down to investigate planet Yeldir with an away crew. Some strange creature, similar to a spider or scorpion, has almost grafted itself to his face. Medical is doing all they can, Mr Spock is also advising. I have Lieutenant Uhura scanning the Starfleet data base for any similar creatures.

__

No Caption Provided

Communications Officer Uhura, Nyota file directive to Kirk, James T Captain about Exomoon LV-426. Status: Unread

__

Internal video recording, “This is Tactical Officer Chaim Henrikson to all crew! All personnel are to move in an orderly fashi…what the hell is that?!?”

__

Emergency Beacon

This is Engineering Assistant Harold Wise of the USS Enterprise sending out an emergency klaxon to any nearby Starfleet ships, DO NOT BOARD THE USS ENTERPRISE!

An alien lifeform was brought on board after an away team excursion to the planet Yeldir. It has since mutated, grown and multiplied into several large insectoid creatures. Disruptors have no effect upon them. I am going to attempt to overload the dilithium core of the Enterprise as per Captain Kirk’s final orders. If that fails and I am killed DO NOT BOARD THIS SHIP.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop@tommythehitman@blueecho@waezi2

About 2 days left to enter a story.

I'm not sure if I'll get one in on time. I have an idea rolling around in my head but I'm really procrastinating on it. When I first had the idea for this contest a few months ago I was deep into playing Alien: Isolation (great space horror game). Now I'm just feeling unmotivated.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: I'm playing through Alien: Isolation at the moment. Currently trying to flush 'Penelope' (the Xenomorph) out of the airlock.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Nice. It gets even better after that. For awhile my strategy was to hide for as long as I could in lockers and under desks. Finally I realized the only way to beat the game was to nut up and go for my goal. Died a lot but eventually you progress.

Also, there were times the Alien would appear in front of me and I would back up enough that eventually I could hide in a corner or under a table and the Alien would walk by me. More often though, it would spot me and kill me.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: Yeah I've been taking a pro-active response in regards to her. I suspect that there may be two more Xenos crawling around because I saw two corpses with extreme thoratic trauma in San Christobel.

It mostly comes at night...mostly.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@stumpy49er: As do I. My fiance and I are both big Alien fans, we already have tickets for Alien Covenant booked for next Saturday. ?

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By TommytheHitman

@stumpy49er: I have two ideas currently.

One being Dead Space.

The other being original.

However, the dead line is snuck up on me, and in all honesty I'm prioritising the Moon Knight series I'm currently writing... which you can find on this very forum!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: Yeah, I have an idea, but I don't know if I'll get it done in time.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Ah you'll make it, I feel it in my marrow. ?

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it over yet?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: 11:59pm Pacific means there's still 2 hours, 9 minutes left.

@stumpy49er: Not gonna make it, man. Sorry.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By stumpy49er

Zappo the Space Clown jumped up and down on the holo-screen. His nose was unusually long, he had silver makeup around his eyes and yellow makeup over the rest of his face. He was bald and wore a mini, silver pierrot hat.

Honk! Honk! "Hey kids! You know what time it is?" he squealed, while he was joined by a group of kids dressed as little, green men. "It's the Zappo musical jamboree hour."

"Turn it off!" Danny yelled. "He scares me."

"Oh, stop being a little baby." His sister demanded. She was a year older than him at eight, so she felt the need to boss him around. "He's just a man dressed like a clown."

"Don't pick on me, Melissa," Danny argued back. "Mom, tell Mel to turn off the creepy clown show."

"You kids need to stop arguing or your dad will turn this space station wagon around and fly us all the way back to Mars." Mom said.

"Listen to your mother, kids." Dad said as he flew the space station wagon with the window down, an arm propped on the side and a Turner D. Century cigarette hanging out of his mouth. A force field protected him from being sucked into the cold vacuum of space.

Dad was making good speed on the space highway and he didn't want any distractions. He passed by a beautiful, blonde in a top down space Corvette. She winked at him.

"Heh heh. It's good to be a Martian, I tell yah Martha," he said to his wife. "Nothing like going on a space-cation with the fam."

Martha laughed. "Oh Don. You're such a romantic."

"Looks like this is our exit." Dad said as he drove off onto an unmarked exit ramp.

"I don't see this on the holo-map, dear." Mom said. "Are you sure this is the way to Jupiter City?"

"Oh, I know a good short cut when I see it, Martha." Don said.

They drove for a few hours on the space road. No other space cars were in sight. At one point a clunking sound began in the engine. Don had to pull over to the side of the road.

He rolled up the windows and put on his space suit in case anything happened to the force field surrounding the space station wagon. Opening the hood he whistled. "Looks like we're going to need a tow shuttle."

He call a tow shuttle from their car holo-radio. The shuttle company said they'd be there in thirty minutes.

Five minutes later a large, rusty shuttle truck pulled up behind them.

Don got out and jetted over to the shuttle. "Boy, you guys are fast. I just called.."

His words stopped there.

Martha looked back. "I wonder what's taking so long." Then she screamed as Don's body jetted by. His head was gone. Martha climbed in the back and hugged Melissa and Danny who began crying.

Honk! Honk! came over the holo-radio.

Then a squeal. "Hey kids, do you know what time it is?"

Zappo the Space Clown, who was not wearing a space suit in the cold vacuum of space, appeared in the back window of the space station wagon.

He was holding Don's head and was surrounded by children in little, green men costumes.

"It's time to die!"

Danny woke up and screamed. He looked around the space station wagon. His sister was watching a holo-tape while his dad drove and his mom looked bored.

"Bad dreams again, Danny?" Mom asked.

The End

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: It's alright. I felt the same way.

I didn't write the story that was in my head. I just threw together this little, space americana, horror tale last minute. It's kind of rushed. Just figured I'd put something on here.

Couldn't quite figure out how I wanted my original tale to go and I just wasn't motivated to sit down and write it.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By batkevin74

So nearly done

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers