Character Creation Contest #49

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

We done?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So we're done :)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: o.O Um...no. Deadline is 11:59pm New York time. I'm working on mine now- last minute as usual. ;)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: So I distract you for four hours, making you miss the deadline and laugh like a maniac

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: You could try, but I'm moving along pretty well. Save it for #50- you're going to need it. ;^D

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#57  Edited By wildvine

@cbishop:

Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers

BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS

BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS

BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: you say that, but you've just had a birthday so the old fingers and the fuzzy brain are sapping your typing strength

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

@cbishop:

Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers Boogers

BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS BOOGERS

Some of your best work. Just add in a Public Domain character at the start or end and you've got a distraction AND and entry

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

said:

@cbishop:

The Heap

Some of your best work. Just add in a Public Domain character at the start or end and you've got a distraction AND and entry

There

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By BlueEcho

@Abishai100: I am not sure if batkevin needs to be the dark horse in order to beat me, I have never posted here for a contest before.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@blueecho: Well, this is my first time on this contest board too. I thought your piece was arguably very strong, so I suggested batkevin74 may be the dark-horse, but I was speaking only conversationally. I won't decide until I vote at midnight (in case people make changes to their pieces close to the deadline).

I'm watching Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives on my laptop.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By cbishop

Family Affair (Try to Keep It Straight)

El Dorado- home of The Color Guard

Silver Streak whooshed into a kitchen and back, distributing beers to all nine players around the table, and popping the top off of one for himself.

"It's really a great honor to have you for our poker night, sir," said a blushing Golden Girl.

Her boyfriend, Golden Lad, nodded in agreement. "Yeah, you've got to be the greatest hero of World War Two!" he declared with a slight British accent.

"Oh, I didn't do that much for the war. Really," insisted the aging superhero.

"Are you kidding me?" balked Golden Arrow. "The Allies might have lost if it weren't for Super-American, sir!"

Super-American smiled slightly, taking off his winged helmet, and revealing a full head of white hair. "No, son, that's not true at all," he said as he pulled slightly on one of the cards in his hands, then pushed it back into row with the others. "The Allies' win was ancient knowledge to us. The only reason I came from the future was to inspire them to do what they were meant to. I merely gave hope at a bleak time. To be truthful, I tried to make my contributions as minimal as possible so as not to alter history. Sure, I threw a Panzer or downed a Zero here and there, but nothing the historical records didn't note as defeated anyway. I'm just glad to have helped."

"How much did you alter history when you helped make him," purred the violet-haired woman with the cat-like eyes.

"Tigress!" blustered Amazing Man as he traded two cards to White Panther, who was the dealer.

"Ha!" laughed Super-American. "Actually, I'm afraid my boy here is the reason I can't go back to the future. Saving his mother changed quite a bit as it turned out. The Purple Plague didn't kill her, so the Golden Knight didn't kill him. So Golden Knight didn't go to--"

The hero's story was interrupted by loud gasps from Tigress and Golden Girl, and Golden Arrow choking on his beer. The others at the table stared in stunned silence. Finally, a horrified Tigress exchanged glances with Amazing Man, trying to get words out, but failing. Then she stared at his father for long moments before saying, "Did... did you say 'The Purple Plague,' sir?" She was almost crying as she said it.

"Well...yes," said American, a look of concern on his face as he put his cards face down on the table. "Whatever's the matter, young lady?"

Her lip quivered slightly, but with her voice shaking, she managed, "The P-Purple Pl-Plague is m-my f-father."

"Your father was a villain?" asked Super-American in surprise.

"Dad!" barked Amazing Man.

Tears welling up in her eyes, begging for it not to be so, she pleaded, "H-he killed your wife?" Turning to Amazing Man, she was nearly frantic. "Your mother?!"

"And Golden Knight killed her father?" asked Golden Girl. "My father did that?"

"Our father," corrected Golden Arrow.

"So you two are siblings," said Super-American with a nod. "And you, Golden Lad? Another brother?"

"Oh, no sir, I'm the boyfriend," he said, his British accent becoming more pronounced. "I got my powers from Golden Girl when she saved me from The Green Dragon, back when he fought The Black Dragon over London. I helped in the fight, and we've been together ever since." He smiled at Golden Girl, but it faded quickly when he saw the concern still on her face.

"I see," said Super-American. "So The Color Guard is a family affair then?"

"With the emphasis on 'affair,' I'm afraid," said a raven-haired looker.

"Sis, come on," said White Panther.

Super-American laughed. "And 'sis,' is it? Whose children are you?"

White Panther smiled with embarrassment as he looked at his cards, then folded his hand. "Most of our parents were members of The Rainbow Bridge Club back in the day. We're son and daughter of White Indian and The Black Cat, who also used to be a villain. When she got together with dad, she changed sides and names, becoming Black Angel."

Super-American nodded. "I knew them well. Good people."

"I took my mom's name of 'Black Cat' when I first joined The Color Guard," said the sister.

"Which got my attention, because Black Cat was my mom, from when she was still a villain."

"Ah," said the older hero, "that explains 'Tigress' then."

"It's Purple Tigress actually," she said respectfully. "He never became a hero, but he was still my dad."

"My dear, that seems truly hard to believe," he said with a warming smile. "I knew your father too- he was a terror to fight."

"You would've believed it when she came at us guns blazing," said White Panther, making Tigress wince. He winked at her. "She came in all, 'Who are you to have my mother's name,' and bam! Pow! We had a fight on our hands!" he laughed.

"I was out for blood," confessed Tigress. Pointing at her half-sister, she said, "until she took off her mask." Faltering a bit, she said, "She looks so much like mom."

"She told me so too- said I was beautiful- which is how I got my new name," she said with a soft smile. "If 'Black Cat' was going to cause her pain, I didn't want that, so I took a name inspired by my new sister- 'Black Beauty.' That's been my name ever since, and we invited her to be on the team. That's how the daughter of two supervillains got to be on the team."

"Well, I didn't accept right away," said Tigress bashfully.

"Yeah," laughed Golden Arrow. "She came at us a few more times before coming around. Took Amazing Man joining us to change her mind. She had a bit of a crush as it turned out." The group laughed good-naturedly.

"I've been meaning to ask how that happened," Super-American said to his son. "You don't have a color in your name."

It was Amazing Man's turn to blush. "Oh, that was the press' doing. When I first fought alongside the group, a reporter dubbed me The Green Ghost after seeing me turn to green mist. Before I knew it, the team voted and invited me to join. I straightened 'em out on the name, but it took the press a bit to let it go."

"Okay," said Super-American. "And you two are dating, I take it?"

Amazing Man smiled sheepishly, and protested, "Daaad."

Purple Tigress laughed, "Yes sir, we are. I hope you don't mind."

"On the contrary," he said. "I approve wholeheartedly! This one needs someone to keep him in line," he said, elbowing his son lightly. The team laughed again.

"How come you never joined The RBC?" asked Purple Tigress.

Super-American smiled. "Long story. Mostly because there was no color in my name." The team laughed. "So then, I know you're The Woman in Red," he said pointing across the table, "And you're Red Rocket. Related?"

"Brother and sister," confirmed The Woman in Red. "Our parents were Red Torpedo and Scarlet Phantom."

"Keeping the family to one color theme," snickered Red Rocket.

"Yes," Super-American chuckled. "That's quite a car you drive by the way. Got the old man's penchant for tinkering, I see? Your father and Golden Knight built El Dorado, y'know."

"With a little help from my mom," added Silver Streak.

"Our mom," said Golden Girl.

American laughed with disbelief. "Now wait-a-minute. You're all sister and brothers?" he asked, pointing at Golden Girl, Golden Arrow and Silver Streak.

Golden Arrow was sipping on his beer when asked. He stopped, and pointing the bottle towards Silver Streak, he said, "Oh, no- we're not related at all." Super-American looked confused. "Golden Girl and I are only half-brother and sister. My father was Golden Archer--"

"--Who became Golden Knight later. Right," said Super-American.

"My mom was Green Sorceress," finished Arrow. "I was 'Bronze Man' so as to not get confused with Golden Girl and Golden Lad, but then 'Bronze Terror' came on the scene and killed mom. I didn't want the name association, or the reminder, so... 'Golden Arrow,' after dad."

Super-American looked a bit sad at that. "I was truly sorry to hear about her death. You have my condolences, young man."

Arrow nodded, and took another pull on his beer.

"And my mom was Silver Knight," said Silver Streak, "but from when she was the villain Madame Strange."

"When she got together with my dad, she became a good guy, and they changed their names to Golden Knight and Silver Knight," added Golden Girl.

Looking at Silver Streak, Super-American said thoughtfully, "Your father... Madame Strange was married. So was he--"

"--Doc Strange. Yes sir, both were villains. Similar to Tigress, I was pissed that mom moved on to a team of heroes, and came gunning for Golden Girl. The team beat me, and she welcomed me with open arms." He looked at the table. "I just broke. Family was all I wanted, so when they offered for me to join, I accepted immediately."

"So you two must be glad to have him around as well," Super-American said to Red Rocket and his sister.

"How do you mean?" asked The Woman in Red.

He was slightly taken aback. "Oh. You've never made the connection?" The group looked confused. "My dear, 'Doc' Strange is Tom Strange."

Woman in Red still looked confused, but said, "Well, 'Tom' is our dad's name, but--"

"--Our last name is Redd," finished her brother.

The old man raised his eyebrows. "Well, he changed his name, but I assure you: Doc Strange became a hero too, because he was Red Torpedo." The Woman in Red fell back in her seat, exchanging shocked looks with Silver Streak and Red Rocket. "He and Golden Knight fought bitterly the last time Doc Strange got out of jail. He created the Red Torpedo identity so as not to violate his parole. He just wanted to see his son. When your mom realized what was happening, she stopped them from fighting, and convinced Knight to keep the secret. So they told the press that the fight was a test for their newest recruit, and they introduced Red Torpedo to the world. He met Scarlet Phantom when she joined the team, and yes, they clicked at first because of their matching color schemes." He shrugged. "The rest is history."

"Holy cow," said a young man laying a gun in the middle of the table. "You guys are closer knit than you thought."

"And you are?" asked Super-American.

"Oh, Gunmaster," he said, reaching across the table to shake the hero's hand. "Woman in Red's boyfriend. Not a member- just associate."

"You're going to have to become Blademaster if you keep betting your weapons, young man," scolded American.

Gunmaster winced. "Yeah... I was hoping we were just betting for fun?"

Half the group rolled their eyes and handed him back his weapons. He looked to The Woman in Red, and she said, "Oh, I'm not giving you back anything." Gunmaster's mouth fell open. "I won 'em fair and square. I got invisibility from my mom, but guns are my thing too. I like these," she said firmly. The group was quiet. Then she smirked, and with a wink she said, "But we might be able to work something out." The group chuckled, then laughed as Gunmaster's face lit up.

Super-American looked across the table, and said, "Well, that leaves you, young lady. I know it's 'Blue' something, because most of your costume is that color, but I apologize- I've forgotten the rest. Begins with an 'L' I think."

The girl held her thumb and forefinger apart a few inches beside her, arched her eyebrow, and let blue electricity jump between them as a reminder.

"'Bluuuue... Lightning?" he asked hopefully.

"It's 'Blue Lady,' actually," she said with a smile.

"And who are your parents?" he asked, taking a pull on his own beer.

"Well, it took me awhile to find out," she confessed. "I'm adopted, and they wouldn't tell me. I finally got mad and threatened someone with a little electroshock therapy--" She stopped when Super-American looked at her disapprovingly. She hunched in her chair a little, and said, "I'm not proud of it." Then straightening back up, she very quickly added, "But it did work! They told me who my mom was, and I knew she was Green Sorceress' sister, so I tracked down Golden Arrow, and--"

"--Green Sorceress," said Super-American, looking just as shocked as Purple Tigress had. "Blue Bolt was your mother?" he asked, his hand shaking as he set down his beer.

"Dad? Are you okay?" asked Amazing Man.

Not answering, he asked Blue Lady, "Who was your father?"

"I... I don't know," she answered. "My adoptive parents didn't know, and neither did the orphanage. I was about to say- I tracked down Golden Arrow to see if he would know, but he had a different father. I never did find out."

Super-American sat in stunned silence. Then very quietly, he said, "A 'family affair,' indeed."

"Dad?" asked Amazing Man.

He turned to his son with wide, haunted eyes.

"Dad? What's wrong?"

"Your mother," he started. "She died when you were born."

Amazing Man started to look deeply concerned. "Yeah, dad, I know," he said gently.

Turning to Blue Lady, Super-American said, "Would you take off your mask, please?"

The room was very quiet. Blue Lady didn't know what to say. After a few long moments, she reached up with both hands, and slowly removed her mask.

The old man gasped. "You... you look so much like her," he said, putting a shaking hand up to his mouth. "They--" his voice broke with a sob. "They told me you died with her."

"What are you saying?" she said angrily.

"Dad, what are you saying?" Amazing Man asked in confusion.

Turning back to his son, hand still over his mouth, he lowered it slowly and said, "You didn't know her, but Blue Bolt was your mother. You had a twin sister that didn't..." Looking back at Blue Lady, he corrected himself, "that they said didn't make it." The group was stunned once again. "My dear girl..." he reached a shaking hand across the table, and haltingly, she reached out and took it. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know."

She half-smiled, still not knowing exactly how to react.

Going from shock to anger, Super-American added, "I don't know why they told me you had died, but I will find out. That I promise you."

"We'll find out," added Amazing Man, just as somberly. When Blue Lady looked to him, his face changed with realization, and he shouted, "Holy crud! I have a sister!" He turned to mist and flowed across the table, solidifying beside her and giving her a hug. She was shocked for a moment, but then hugged him back.

"We're going to need more beers," said Silver Streak, and before anyone could answer, he was back handing them out. Popping the top on everyone's beers at super speed, he raised his bottle, and said, "A toast! To family!"

"To family!" shouted the group, raising their bottles, and clinking them all around. Then they all sat down and threw their cards in.

White Panther passed the deck to Red Rocket, who started dealing and said, "Well, it seems we all need to get to know each other even better. So Super-American, what about that long story of why you never joined The RBC?"

"Ah," said Super-American. He took a long pull on his beer, set it down, turned it in his fingers a few times, and then said, "That's been a closely guarded secret." The group waited silently, and he finally sighed. "Well, the truth is I couldn't join The RBC, because it might have messed up history too badly. Once I met and saved Blue Bolt? And then fell in love with her? There was no way I could join."

"But it would have messed up history too badly before you met her?" asked Purple Tigress, her feline irises shining as she tilted her head.

"Yes," said Super-American, taking a deep breath. "My history. You see, Golden Knight and Silver Knight are my great-great-great grandfather and grandmother, several times removed."

The group gasped.

"That..." started Golden Girl. "That means..." she shook her head in disbelief.

"Yes," said Super-American. "My family line comes through you. You're my ancestor as well."

"Oh-ho, wowww!" shouted White Panther, throwing his cards on the table. Laughing he said, "Just... wow!"

Pointing to Amazing Man, Super-American said, "And his. And hers," he said pointing at Blue Lady. "None of us could even exist without you."

"And you saved Blue Bolt," said Golden Girl, "which saved Purple Plague, which kept Golden Knight from going to jail, which allowed me and Tigress to be born..." she shook her head with the implications.

Realizing where it was going, Golden Arrrow laughed and said, "Which means they couldn't exist without you!"

"WOW!" shouted White Panther.

Golden Girl looked at Super-American, clearly reeling from this information, and although her mouth moved trying to form words, she found herself speechless. He nodded at her, answering her unvoiced question. She shook her head slowly, backing up in her chair a little, and then she fainted.

"Golden Girl!" shouted Golden Lad, catching her before she fell over. Setting her up in the chair and patting her face lightly, he said, "Golden Girl! Golden Girl!" Then realizing something, he looked at Super-American, and asked, "Wait-a-minute. Does that mean...? Am I...?"

Super-American winced and nodded. "Great-great-great--"

Golden Lad passed out.

"WOW!" shouted White Panther.

Red Rocket fell back in his chair and stretched his arms up with a cheer of "Woooo! Best. Poker night. Ever!" and laughed with the rest of the team.

Note for the curious: this is revamping 25+ Public Domain character names from the name up:

1. Amazing Man (Green Ghost)
  2. Black Angel (Black Cat I)
  3. Black Beauty (Black Cat II)
  4. Black Dragon, The
  5. Blue Bolt
  6. Blue Lady
  7. Bronze Terror, The
  8. Golden Arrow (Bronze Man)
  9. Golden Lad
  10. Golden Girl
  11. Golden Knight (Golden Archer)
  12. Green Dragon, The
  13. Green Sorceress
  14. Gunmaster
  15. Purple Plague
  16. Purple Tigress
  17. Red Rocket
  18. Red Torpedo (Tom/Doc Strange/Redd*)
  19. Scarlet Phantom
  20. Silver Knight (Madame Strange)
  21. Silver Streak
  22. Super-American
  23. White Indian
  24. White Panther
  25. Woman in Red
*Tom Redd, The Color Guard and The Rainbow Bridge Club are the only original names in all of this.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And that's time, folks! I'll see if I can get the voting thread up before bed. If not, I'll do it tomorrow night.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b9eaaf41cf6
deactivated-57b9eaaf41cf6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Oh goddammit just as I was...... sigh

There is a next time anyway

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points