Character Creation Contest #4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#151  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

@cbishop said:

Oh, speaking of "update" <looks at you expectantly>

@wildvine said:

Forget that Holmes. I plan to post shortly.

<exultant joy> <tear> <programming DVR> <making no sense> <stop reading and post already> :}

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#152  Edited By wildvine

@cbishop said:

<exultant joy> <tear> <programming DVR> <making no sense> <stop reading and post already> :}

Fair warning. You might not like this one.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

@cbishop said:

Fair warning. You might not like this one.

I'll be the judge of that, but duly warned.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By Pyrogram

@wildvine said:

@cbishop said:

Tease!

More like an update.

@Pyrogram said:

@wildvine: GIMME DAT PIECE!

That you Cap? : P

Thought we were over this :(

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By wildvine

@Pyrogram said:

Thought we were over this :(

You said it. : P

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Pyrogram

@wildvine:

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By cbishop

@cbishop said:

@wildvine said:

@cbishop said:

Oh, speaking of "update" <looks at you expectantly>

@wildvine said:

Forget that Holmes. I plan to post shortly.

<taps foot> You and I have a very different definition of "shortly."

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By wildvine

@cbishop said:

Sorry.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

@cbishop said:

Sorry.

Less sorry, more posty, girly!

I mean, um, <shrugs> whatever. You'll post it when you post it. No big deal.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By wildvine

Disclaimer: I had a different ending planned. I really did. But this was a short story that wanted to be a novella, and i couldn't bear to edit it it. Hence the ending.

This is a story that has been told and retold. And with each telling it changes. Perhaps it is fitting that Robert of the hood has become legend. Notoriety is not something he ever sought, though it found him. And so in my last days i sit here to record for future generations the real story. The one that started all the stories. the birth of the legend....

Robert of Hoods Kneels quietly on his elevated perch. Arrow notched and bow string taunt. He would only get one shot at this. And it was not an easy shot in well light, let alone in shadow.

"Help! Someone help me!" Mary screamed as she runs semi-blind through the forest, keeping to the path more from memory then sight. Her lines were rehearsed but the panic was real. The ravenous Noble behind her certainly wasn't playing. If she slipped or if Robert missed there would be no help for her.

'If he must miss, let him hit me' She prayed silently. She had heard tales of what the Noble did when enraged. And it would be quite enraged if it realized it was being led to a trap.

Robert sits at the ready, blinking sweat from his eye. Willing his tired arm not to tremble. Any second now....

Mary rushes into the clearing and immediately dives to the ground. A bee buzzes past her ear. No, not a bee, otherwise she would be dead.

Robert's arrow flies straight and true, finding its way into the demons dead heart. "AAAAAAARRRRRRHHHHH" The Noble Blood roars as its body erupts in a hot red flame. The flames of Hell, Friar Tuck believed. The demon was quickly reduced to ash and bone.

"Alright, that infernal noise will alert any Noble in the area, so we need to break camp post haste". Robert calls down to his companion John Little.

"Aye mister Locke, and a foine bit of shooting i might add". Robert couldn't see John, but knew from experience he was giving the thumb of approval. A silly gesture he had came up with and was convinced it would catch on if repeated enough.

'John and his ideas'. Robert shook his head to himself. Where did he get such notions?

"Cutting it a bit close Mr Locke. Any closer an i would need another earring" Mary huffed, angrily.

"As if you needed another" Robert replied dryly. She wore three rings in each ear. Another in her nose, and another in her lip. There where rumors of others, but a gentleman did not entertain such thoughts. Around the camp she was known ironically as 'Maid Mary'.

Despite her unladylike nature, or perhaps because of it, she had proven quite useful. As an information collector and as bait. She was also a capable fighter.

"Learned anything of interest tonight?" Robert asked as they walk back to the camp.

"Learned something very interesting, though i'll need a bit of rope--"

"About the Nobles, woman!" Robert cuts her off. She did love to play her games.

"Ah, well yes actually, though its not as interesting......"

"Well?" He asks, becoming exasperated.

"I learned if you cut off the head the body will flounder". She smirks.

At first he assumes that is another lewd comment. Then it sinks home."You mean....?"

"Correct. Kill the first and the rest will follow" She says very slowly as if speaking to an idiot.

"Any word on where to find this head?"

"Oh yes. The demon lord is expected at castle Nottingham in three moons for a costume ball in his honor. One Lord Vlad Tepes"

"Tell me Maid Mary, do you have a dress in your wardrobe?"

Three moons later....

"I don't like this" John Little commented uneasily.

"Grow up you baby. The demons ash covers our living scent". Mary whispers fiercely. She was nervous herself, and him being nervous was making her more nervous.

Their mission was to mingle with the Nobles and find Vlad.

"Here, have some virgin blood. Aged 27 years" A Noble sniffs the wineglass with pleasure, and hands another glass to Mary.

"Only the best for the lord eh?" She takes a sip.

"What else?" The Noble licks lips with a black tongue.

"Indeed". She gently leads John away before he could turn green.

"You, ulp" He gags quietly "You drank blood".

"I've drank worse". She replied cryptically.

Other merry men were dressed as jesters, and were acting as servers.

"Fellow Nobles" A vampire clinks one long nail against a wineglass. "Our lord and master, Vlad of Tepes"

At first there is nothing to see. Then a mist cloud drifts in through an open window and swirls about before solidifying into a giant bat creature which spreads its eight foot wing span theatrically. "Good ev'ning my children" It grins before melting into a more human form, the wings becoming a flowing cape. The ears remain pointed.

It seems recon was a bit unnecessary after all.....

"I have heard the cry of you all. This, Robert of the hood, has been hunting us and encouraging human rebellion? I intend to feast on him for many days. But... i suspect he is closer then you all know. A sheep among wolves". His meets Mary's gaze and beckons her with one finger. "You can mask you scent, but not your heartbeat. You soul is a filthy thing human. Do you think it will go up at your passing? Give yourself to me and live forever as one of my brides".

"Nooo!" John Little charges the Demon lord, only to be swatted carelessly aside like a fly.

"Up here demon" Robert calls from the elevated walk way, letting fly a burning arrow.

Vlad catches the arrow with one hand and casts Mary away with the other. "I'm afraid you'll need to do better then this Mr Hood". He gloats before the arrow explodes in his face. A gray cloud enveloping him.

Robert grabs a chandelier rope and swings himself down at the demon lord....

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By wildvine

done.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#162  Edited By batkevin74

@wildvine: Very cool, nice work

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By wildvine

@batkevin74 said:

@wildvine: Very cool, nice work

You humble me sir.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine: For the 1,000 word limit, I think the arrow should have found its mark. You could always write the novella later. I think you're skirting the "don't call him Robin Hood" rule here, but I love the crossover with Dracula. Definitely better than Dracula vs King Arthur. I'm not sure about the Mary character, but she works for what's needed in this story. The thumbs up thing was funny.

I definitely love this idea. What made you think I wouldn't like it?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Pyrogram

@wildvine: Its different, The writing is really well done, the story is a little, not sure.. I just did not get it the first read through.

Robert of the Hood? haha.

Mr_Stagger_Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#166  Edited By Mr_Stagger_Lee

@wildvine: Nice job with the writing. Absolutely no idea what its about but I wish I could write dialogue like that.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Pyrogram

I will have my done in the next day or two. I think.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine:

@Pyrogram said:

@wildvine: Its different, The writing is really well done, the story is a little, not sure.. I just did not get it the first read through.

@WhiteSGPlayer said:

@wildvine: Nice job with the writing. Absolutely no idea what its about but I wish I could write dialogue like that.

I can see where you didn't get it at first. You're kind of left wondering what just happened with the noble chasing Mary at the beginning, but once Vlad of Tepes (aka Vlad Tepes, aka Vlad the Impaler, aka Dracula) was introduced, that should have tied it all together. Dracula had started a vampire clan among the nobles, and they were feeding on the commoners. Robin H...uh...Robert of the Hood was out to kill them. Gotta admit: wooden shaft arrows are a good way to kill vampires... as long as they don't catch the arrow like Dracula did.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By cbishop

@Pyrogram said:

Good! Looking forward to it. I think. ;)

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Pyrogram

@cbishop: I understood it in the end, so :D

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By wildvine

@cbishop said:

@wildvine: For the 1,000 word limit, I think the arrow should have found its mark. You could always write the novella later.

Well, the arrow was never gonna hit him. See, in my mind the story went on for another 200 words or so and i had a real ending which ties everything together. But once i realized i was over the count (after 50 odd words mind you) i went back over the story to make cuts and....i just couldn't. I butchered the Tarzan story with edits and i couldn't do that again. Plus, i left all my stories on cliff hangers so far, so i'm keeping with the theme, albeit accidentally this time.....

I think you're skirting the "don't call him Robin Hood" rule here, but I love the crossover with Dracula.

Yeah, i did play it close. Also, when i had the idea down for vampires, well who else was it gonna be? : P

I have no idea where the thumbs up joke came from. And i though you wouldn't like the Mary character. Originally she was nameless bait woman, then she took on her own life. The idea was she is a gypsy, though i'm not sure that came across.

WhiteSGPlayer said:

Nice job with the writing. Absolutely no idea what its about but I wish I could write dialogue like that.

Thank you. I've been told i write strong dialogue.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Pyrogram

@wildvine: Quote all but me :( Im hated. Jokin :P

Hopefully.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By wildvine

@Pyrogram said:

Its different,

Different is good.

The writing is really well done, the story is a little, not sure..

Thank you...?

I just did not get it the first read through.

Oh. Yeah i can see that.

Thank you. There was a back story to the title but, word count ya know?

Step on it. Double time. When I get a story done first it means your way late. Cause i am lazy. : P

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Pyrogram

@wildvine: If your Lazy, what does that make me 0_0 , I will double time this stuff.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By wildvine

@Pyrogram said:

@wildvine: If your Lazy, what does that make me 0_0 , I will double time this stuff.

My point good sir.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

@cbishop said:

@wildvine: For the 1,000 word limit, I think the arrow should have found its mark. You could always write the novella later.

Well, the arrow was never gonna hit him. See, in my mind the story went on for another 200 words or so and i had a real ending which ties everything together. But once i realized i was over the count (after 50 odd words mind you) i went back over the story to make cuts and....i just couldn't. I butchered the Tarzan story with edits and i couldn't do that again. Plus, i left all my stories on cliff hangers so far, so i'm keeping with the theme, albeit accidentally this time.....

That's kind of my point. Previous stories ended on cliffhangers because of the shorter word limits to those contests. You had a good ending point for this story, and let it slide. That's why I was saying: you could have ended it one way for the contest, and another way for the longer piece. Btw, it worked for the Tarzan story - I couldn't tell there had been cuts to that story. ;)

@wildvine said:

@cbishop said:

I think you're skirting the "don't call him Robin Hood" rule here, but I love the crossover with Dracula.

Yeah, i did play it close. Also, when i had the idea down for vampires, well who else was it gonna be? : P

I have no idea where the thumbs up joke came from. And i though you wouldn't like the Mary character. Originally she was nameless bait woman, then she took on her own life. The idea was she is a gypsy, though i'm not sure that came across.

Like I said, the Mary character worked for what you were writing. In truth, I'm not that fond of her, but only because I have a deep fondness for the Robin Hood story (altho', curiously, in the version of Robin Hood I have, Marian never enters the story). The character you wrote was well done, and fleshed out pretty well. I wouldn't have thought of her as Marian, but that's what she is in this story, and it works.

The thing about public domain characters is that they're going to be changed somehow. That's just a given. Scraping away the noble/ ladylike veneer to show something more human underneath is not uncommon, and it's useful for making your reader think that there is instantly much more to this character than they thought they knew. You did a great job with that (but no, I didn't get that she was a gypsy - just that she was more directly involved with the merry men in this story, than in other versions).

Once again, really nice piece.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By wildvine

Less then one day left.....

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By wildvine

@cbishop said:

That's kind of my point. Previous stories ended on cliffhangers because of the shorter word limits to those contests. You had a good ending point for this story, and let it slide. That's why I was saying: you could have ended it one way for the contest, and another way for the longer piece. Btw, it worked for the Tarzan story - I couldn't tell there had been cuts to that story. ;)

But really i couldn't. I love what i wrote. And i did look back for cuts to make. I really did. But...I couldn't find anything i could cut out. Maybe if i were a better writer....(shrug)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

@cbishop said:

But really i couldn't. I love what i wrote. And i did look back for cuts to make. I really did. But...I couldn't find anything i could cut out. Maybe if i were a better writer....(shrug)

Pft, you're an excellent writer. You're just stuck on the idea of that longer story you have in mind. Think of it this way: if this were going to be published in a magazine, and the editor told you that there's a 1,000 word limit, and it has to have an ending, you would find a way to end it. You might not be as happy with it, but you would do it. The magazine's readers, who have no idea of the longer story you have in mind, would be none the wiser.

But that's just hypothesizing. The scene you've got works.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Pyrogram

I may not do one this competition. I honestly cannot sit down and write it, Give it tomorrow and then I will see ( I can usually do a good story in 1 hour if needed like the last competition ) , well its game on for the rest of you and me for the next one.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By cbishop

@Pyrogram said:

I may not do one this competition. I honestly cannot sit down and write it, Give it tomorrow and then I will see ( I can usually do a good story in 1 hour if needed like the last competition ) , well its game on for the rest of you and me for the next one.

Unacceptable! Write yer piece durnit! ;}

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By wildvine

@Pyrogram said:

Yeah, you don't want to be out done by me do you?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

@Pyrogram said:

It does seem a trifle convenient to bow out at this point. Whatever happened to defending the title? tsk.

Mattersuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#184  Edited By Mattersuit

@wildvine said:

@Pyrogram said:

Outdone by you?

No Caption Provided
wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By wildvine

@Mattersuit said:

Outdone by you?

You? Again? I think i have a stalker....

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Pyrogram

@wildvine: @Mattersuit: :(

@cbishop: Its on. I will have it done in the next 1-2 hours.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By wildvine

Aye, defend ya title lad.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

Aye, defend ya title lad.

What she said.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Pyrogram

@cbishop: @wildvine:

Competition ends midnight tomorrow, and I am 40% done on mine now. Gona eat and come back.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By cbishop

@Pyrogram said:

Competition ends midnight tomorrow, and I am 40% done on mine now. Gona eat and come back.

Food? FOOD?! Who eats at a time like this? This is writing, man! WRITIINNNNNNG!

um...<ahem>...I mean, uh, enjoy your meal. We'll be here waiting patiently. And by "we," I of course mean me and my other personalities. That's: normal me, barbarian writer me, and a few others.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Pyrogram

@cbishop: I hope the barbarian you don't steal my food. I'm done so you will have to gut me, so, back to writing :D

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By wildvine

@cbishop said:

@Pyrogram said:

What happened to the starving artist? : P

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Pyrogram

@wildvine: Extract time.

I'm a little stuck so just pasting this as a time killer.

"Shuffling forward every step I heard the crowd murmuring about the fate that awaited me, I began to walk forward, the rope that bound my hands together was tight, I could feel my pulse in my wrists...."

Meh...

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

@cbishop said:

@Pyrogram said:

What happened to the starving artist? : P

Clearly, this is the my-constitution-is-too-delicate-I-must-eat-now-and-finish-writing-later artist. We should cut him some slack. Or a slice of cake. I dunno.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By wildvine

@cbishop said:

Clearly, this is the my-constitution-is-too-delicate-I-must-eat-now-and-finish-writing-later artist. We should cut him some slack. Or a slice of cake. I dunno.

Lemon crunch?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Pyrogram

@cbishop: Are you suffering from any head aches? back-pains or green blood in urine recently? I think you have something called madness.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By cbishop

@Pyrogram said:

@wildvine: Extract time.

I'm a little stuck so just pasting this as a time killer.

"Shuffling forward every step I heard the crowd murmuring about the fate that awaited me, I began to walk forward, the rope that bound my hands together was tight, I could feel my pulse in my wrists...."

Meh...

Well... O.o At least you haven't exceeded the word limit. lol

No, seriously, if you're stuck, sometimes the only thing you can do is write something else. You know you need an archer, bow and arrow in your story. Maybe start there and work your way back to the character's awaiting fate. Then, once you are there, you can go with that, or retool it to start at the above point. :)

WRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE LAD! WRITE BEFORE BARTH THE BARD-BARIAN WRITER GUTS YA FOR YOUR SANDWICH! YARRR!

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By wildvine

@Pyrogram said:

@cbishop: Are you suffering from any head aches? back-pains or green blood in urine recently? I think you have something called madness.

I have all that, but your not a doctor so i can't really trust your advice.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

@cbishop said:

Lemon crunch?

Nay! The likes of lemon crunch are for the mighty bard-barian hordes that write first and eat later! Not this pansy penman who thinks of his blood sugar before his plot! ...I, on the other hand, finished my entry long ago. Please pass the lemon crunch. Thank you.

@Pyrogram said:

Back pains sometimes, and the headaches stay at bay as long as the voices talk to me in whispers. Green blood in the urine is only for those "eat first, write later" types. YARRRRR! THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD! OR THE FORK! YARRRR!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine said:

@Pyrogram said:

I have all that, but your not a doctor so i can't really trust your advice.

That jar of urine you keep on top of the fridge doesn't count. It's not yours, and it wasn't green when you first put it there.