Cassandra Cain Reimagined: Ch 3

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

So everyone knows, chapters one and two are both on the original thread. @cbishop was good enough to suggest there that multiple threads make for more attention grabbing, which is only logical so I'm running with it :)

A quick synopsis, Cassandra is back in Gotham and the story begins amidst the old arc involving Bruce imprisoned for the death of Vesper Fairchild, his potential flame, murdered in Wayne Manor. Cassandra has not yet caught up with Lady Shiva and won't pursue telepathy to cure her communication disability as a twist in this reimagining, the former will come but I'm retconning the latter. It's more interesting to me if she toughs her way through it, I think she's more interesting for it. We'll see though :) Stay tuned to this thread for Chapter 3. Barbara Gordon and Cassie have met with Oliver Queen to secure funding for Cassie's dojo, and she's still mulling over what she's actually going to teach. Noone's forgotten about Bruce, but Cassie isn't the detective her mentors are and can't quite get a grip on where to start. What'll come next, hrm?

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JamieWolfe7
No Caption Provided

The boxing ring was in surprisingly decent shape for having been abandoned. Cass slapped her hands on it and dust exploded, sending her reeling much to Babs' delight. The locker room wasn't half bad either. Some would need repairs, one whole stand was rusted and would just need to be replaced but she counted it a bonus on the whole. There was even a desk in the manager's office, much to Barbara's approval.

The next morning, Barbara shows up to check on the small vigilante. Just as she expected, she had been there cleaning all night long. Babs shakes her head, her lips curled in a wry grin as she notes the cleanness of the floor and bags of trash in the corner. Cassie is a ball of energy, she thinks as she watches her scrub graffiti off of a wall.

"You might appreciate that Ollie sent us a money card to hire people for that!" Babs announces. Cass pauses to look at her with what she swore was incredulity before asking,"Will other people clean right?"

Barbara throws her hands up as she says,"You don't have to do everything yourself just because you have something. This is a family thing, yes you should be proud of it, but don't forget it can be fun too!"

Cassie exhales a bit as she stops what she's doing and nods in agreement with Barbara. She drops into a flatfooted squat then, her elbows rested on her knees as she says,"Bruce."

Barbara nods a bit as she steps forward one, then moves to look to the rest of the place. She's taking in what all Cass got accomplished in the night."You did a lot. I still think that if a rich guy wants to spend money on you you should let him." She laughs at that, Cassie even spares a little grin, though her mind doesn't pull from the subject at hand.

"In all seriousness though, we've been distracted enough. We need to tend to Bruce, you're right. Everyone else is. Knightfall protocol was initiated last night, his place is secure. We need to look into who stirred the pot." Barbara's tone is serious, she folds her arms as Cass looks up at her with an expression of agreement. She asks then,"Knightfall?" "It just means everything in the cave is secured really well." Cass nods a little at that simplified explanation. She isn't really concerned with details, and Barbara knows that.

Barbara hmms to herself as she remembers something, holding up a finger in an 'ah-ha!' gestures,"We'll start with your idea for the time being. Be ready this evening, no more delays and make sure you get some rest, ok? I'm putting my foot up your butt." Cassandra raises her brows at Babs, not sure what she's talking about other than they're going on patrol tonight. After a moment she smiles though, she knows she needs to get in the saddle again.

That day, Cass relented and let Barbara hire a small crew to clean up the gym. She was pleasantly surprised to note that he had figured in enough to order some equipment too. He was really pulling out all the stops. Barbara decided she would quit making all the calls with this, she'd noticed early on that Cassie was letting her figure everything out.

"All right, you've got to cough up some suggestions too," Babs said, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose as she eyes the smaller girl. Cassie is squatted in a backwards facing chair, staring down the eyepad as she shrugs helplessly. "I don't know!" She protests, her muscular arms dangling down the back of the chair.

"Well, we've got a thousand to spend up front on equipment. That isn't much for training gear, just so you know. You know you're going to need equipment for the students to borrow until they can get their own, you're going to need at least two different bags, the speedbag that we have looks like a stiff wind could blow it down, and you'll need a weight set for people here to work out rather than train. That should narrow it down plenty so let's start with the gear. You wanted to teach kendo, the equipment for you and two students alone eats up about half of our startup allowance...actually a little more." She boggles a little at that revelation, Cassie furrows her brows too. "Why?" She asks. She hadn't been allowed the luxury of padding when she learned it, so couldn't understand the huge figure. "Well, most of it's padding. The bokkens and bamboo swords aren't terrible, but the wrist guards, helmets, and padding are out of sight..." She sighs at that as Cassie puts her hands to her cheeks, sliding her fingers into her hair to grab handfuls in frustration. Babs just shakes her head,"I told you a thousand isn't much, I guess Oliver just wants to teach us something here." Cassie moans then replies,"Hate Oliver."

Barbara laughs a little, then suggests,"Lets look at sparring gear."

They would spend the next couple hours making progress with their shopping. Eventually though, Barbara would make her go get some sleep for the evening before heading out herself. She felt she was making progress, she knew Cassie was too. This would be good for her, teach a bit about life.

The life Cassie wanted for herself came with its own problems, but it was worth living. That was an issue she knew she still had. Convincing herself to go on was sometimes problematic, and Barbara could see that. She knew Oliver could too, and she had no doubt that others could as well.

She couldn't imagine what it was like for her. Going through life as a pariah, being born to a man like David Cain who wanted only to raise a better killer and a family that was happy to help him get just that was the stuff of nightmares. Her mother was an unknown, probably dead but noone knew for sure. If she wasn't, Barbara hoped in a small way that Cassie never found her. The only reason she could imagine for her to still be alive was if she had been a part of it all along.

No Caption Provided

Thinking about these things only guaranteed that it was her turn to not sleep today. Cassie deserved a better lot in life than she had gotten, and she would help her get it. Laying there in her bed staring at the ceiling, she thought about her years as Oracle. How at first she thought her life had ended with the Joker's bullet in all but actuality. In a small way, she reckoned she understood Cassandra. For a brief moment, she had hoped the clown would finish the job. Then she had realized that people could still count on her, still looked out for her. She needed to make Cassandra understand that, really understand that.

Loading Video...

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@jamiewolfe7: Hmm I wonder how long it takes someone to hire Firefly to burn down the place?