Bruce part 1

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By joshmightbe

(This is my own version of Batman, set in the same universe as my Clark stories Clark Library )

Gotham City, 1988

Thomas and Martha Wayne rushed Bruce to get him dressed. He thought they were being a bit annoying tonight but unbeknownst to him, his father was feeling guilty over being forced to miss his birthday party a few weeks ago and had found a way to make it up to him. He found a theater in down town Gotham that played classic movies, it was showing a personal favorite of Bruce and Thomas. The Mark of Zorro, Bruce had burned out the vhs copy from watching it so often but had never seen it on the big screen.

It was in a rough part of town so the Wayne's hurried Bruce so they could be on the way home before it got too late. He had finally gotten ready and ushered into the car with visions of another society function where he'd be expected to play nice with a room full of rich brats he hated. He was ten years old but Martha would often state, "He's ten going on forty" because of his demeanor.

He cheered up the second he saw the theater marque, "Zorro?"

Thomas smiled and nodded, "We're going to see it how we were meant to tonight."

Martha sighed, "Joy." She wasn't a fan.

As they left they noticed there car had yet to return so Thomas headed to the nearest pay phone. Alfred the family butler informed, "The driver had a minor traffic accident, so I'm afraid he won't be able to come. I will have another car sent promptly."

Thomas shrugged, "Don't worry about it, we'll grab a cab."

"Very well sir."

The theater wasn't on a busy street so Thomas figured it'd be quite some time before a cab came by, "Come on Martha, we'll cut down this alley. Be home in no time."

She was weary of it, she read the sign aloud, "Cryme alley? That's almost asking for trouble."

Thomas chuckled, "Don't be so worried."

Bruce walked along between his parents pretending to be swinging a sword as a man walked up to Thomas, He pulled a gun, "Wallet,now. And tell your old lady to hand over the jewelry and the purse."

Thomas put out his hands, "Anything you want, just want to get my son home."

He handed the man his wallet and Martha handed over her purse and a necklace, "The ring too, lady."

She looked down, "Its my wedding ring."

The man grabbed her hand so Thomas moved in to stop him. The gun went off twice and Thomas and Martha Wayne fell down. Bruce looked to the mugger who looked almost as shocked as Bruce. He ran off leaving behind what he intended to steal. Bruce fell to his knees and began to cry.

Alfred entered the GCPD precinct building and saw Bruce sitting with an officer holding his father's wallet. The officer stood, "You Pennyworth?"

Alfred nodded, "How is he?"

"He's shaken up pretty bad. Can't blame him. It seems to be a mugging gone wrong. we'll need to bring the boy back in to ID the guy when we get him but a nights sleep will do him good."

Alfred sighed, "Understood, may I take him home?"

The officer nodded and Alfred beckoned Bruce over. He walked silently to the car and said nothing on the ride home.

Bruce spent the better part of three days in his room, leaving only to use the bathroom. Alfred decided it was time for him to come out. He marched up to the door and announced, "Dinner."

Bruce spoke through the door, "Bring it up here."

"I will not, you will come eat at the table or you will go hungry."

Alfred waited for a moment then the door swung open. Bruce marched past him in pajamas he'd been wearing since the night he came home from the police station and headed for the stairs. Alfred shook his head, "Its a start."

A few days later the police called Bruce in, a rookie cop named Harvey Bullock led him and Alfred into the room, "Got a who's who of gutter trash for ya."

Alfred glared, Bullock shrugged it off. The detective inside introduced him to a woman, "This is Dr. Leslie Thompkins, she helps out with cases dealing with children."

She shook Alfred's hand and looked down to Bruce, "I knew your parents, they deserved better."

He didn't respond, instead he looked past her. He glared at one of the men in the line up. She turned and asked, "Do you see the man?"

He nodded, "Number three."

The detective looked down, "You sure."

Bruce narrowed his eyes and nodded. Dr. Thompkins looked worried by Bruce's expression and handed Alfred a card, "You may want to consider bringing him to my office."

The detective looked back, "That's Joe Chill, he's in and out of here about twice a week."

Bruce still glared, "Hope he rots."

As they walked out Bullock was talking to the detective, "What kind of prick kills a kid's folks in front of him. Somebody ought-ta put the fear of god in these punks."

The detective pours a cup of coffee, "Just have that kid glare at'em, that'll do it."

As they got home Alfred looked to the maid, "Have dinner ready within the hour. Master Bruce has had a long day."

She nodded, he then looked to Bruce, "Just want to change, I'll be down for dinner. And I'll be back at school on Monday."

Alfred was glad to hear this but the look Bruce held bothered him. The maid came up, "I'm sure he'll feel better once he gets back to his friends."

Alfred nodded, "I hope you're right."

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By joshmightbe
kfhrfdu_89_76k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

New details. Nice.

Alfreds reaction is pretty strange though. As if he wouldn`t mourn, himself. Well, he has a good reaosn, probably.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: I was trying to give the impression Alfred was just putting up a brave face so he could focus on Bruce. I'm not always great with subtlety.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1092

Looking forward to this, Josh', but I've got to put it on the back burner for a bit. I've still got to catch up on Clark, Legendary and Border Worlds! :}

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Not a problem, just letting you know this is here

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kfhrfdu_89_76k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Cool. You should point it out more clearly in a future chapter.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: Ill see what I can do. I might not show the immediate reaction but you will definitely see the effect on him.

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bumped

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Pretty good. Kinda rushed, but I know you wanted to get over the origin everyone knows by heart to get to the real story.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Yeah, I really had nothing to add to the story of Bruce's parents dying that hasn't been covered a thousand times before by way better writers than me but it still had to be mentioned.

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cbishop

The falling pearls have been part of that murder for so long. Interesting choice not to add them. Nice touch on Bruce getting to identify Chill, but it seems like that would have gone a long way towards his personal healing- kind of counterproductive to the character. Of course, in this case, it won't help, but just saying. Added to my FF Long Box. :)

P.S. Weren't there cell phones in 1988? Seems like the Waynes would have had one, rather than needing a pay phone. It wouldn't help them die as they must for the origin, but that's the kind of problems you have to fix when you update for something more modern. <shrugs> Duddn't matta.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@joshmightbe: Wow I actually recognised some of the names in this. A nice start to Bruce.