Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Oscuro

Downtime

Downtime

It's dark outside, the stars each holding their place in the sky, for the time being. Most of England is asleep in bed. But this isn't like most places in England, it's MI 13. MI 13 being a special intelligence agency tasked with locating and eliminating "weird happenings" within the United Kingdom. Days and night routinely blur together, sleep being a luxury to those who worked for the clandestine operation.

MI 13 is headquartered in The Shard, a 95 story skyscraper located in London. The observation deck atop The Shard, is empty, except for one tall, dark individual. His name is Eric Brooks, but he's better known as Blade. Born to a mother bitten by a vampire during childbirth, he received all the strengths and none of the weaknesses of vampires, save for bloodlust. Taught in the ways of the hunter, his name is feared throughout the shadow world as the legendary Daywalker. He looks down to the bright lights of London as he smokes a small, hand rolled cigar.

His lover and fellow MI 13 agent (as well as pseudo-vampire) Jacqueline Falsworth, aka Spitfire, walks up beside him and leans against the metal rail. She brushes her long, blonde hair away from her face, her blue eyes shining in the dim glow of the cigar. She glances down at the cigar in his hand. Her face scrunches up with a slightly annoyed expression.

Spitfire: Smoking again?

Blade takes another pull on the cigar and then exhales. He turns to face her with a smirk.

Blade: This is a special Chinese herb. Helps me fight the thirst and it calms my nerves.

Spitfire: Uh huh and when are you ever nervous?

Blade: You make me nervous...sometimes.

Spitfire blushes, but the darkness of the night makes it impossible to see. She nudges him with her elbow, hardly able to contain the smile on her face. She steps in front of Blade and places her arms around his neck, going up on her tip toes to compensate for the difference in height.

Spitfire: Hmmm. I wonder how I could possibly make you nervous.

She plants a kiss on his neck and then another before dropping back down to normal. She smacks him on the arm as the annoyed look returns.

Spitfire: Give me a kiss

Blade: (in a faux Cockney accent) Apologies milady.

Spitfire: Very funny.

Spitfire hits him a little harder than the first time as she lifts her head up. The two share a kiss, before a beeping sound coming from his pants pocket interrupts the mood. Spitfire gives a knowing look and sighs.

Spitfire: Duty calls.

Blade: Guess I'll finish smoking this on the way downstairs.

Blade checks his PDA to be briefed on the fly. The message is short and to the point.

Double homicide. Assist London police in the investigation. Possible ritual murder.

The duo suit up before working their way to the sub levels of the building. Blade wears his typical black form fitting shirt with black tactical pants and boots. He also has a chest holster which is pulled down and towards his lower rib cage on his left side. Knife sheaths attach at the right shoulder and in the back at the waistline of the holster. Spitfire dons her friction resistant yellow costume and matching red mask, boots and gloves.

Now dressed for the mission, the two head towards the armory so that the hunter can outfit himself with various types of edged weapons, firearms and explosive ordnance. A slenderly built man in his early forties with brown hair and brown eyes is tinkering in the experimental weapons lab. He is the MI 13's quartermaster and head of R&D, O. He glances up from his work for a moment and takes notice of the two heroes walking past.

O: Blade, Spitfire! Do you have a moment?

They quickly double back and enter the lab where he is waiting. He pushes his glasses up the bridge of his nose and beckons them over to the table where he's standing.

Blade: What do you have O?

O: Our department has been working tirelessly to produce improved tactical armor for our agents in the field. This is trial number 11. Would you do the honors?

O gestures towards the adjacent room, where a vest has been placed over a torso made from ballistics gel.

Blade: As soon as we get back. Shouldn't be too long

O gives them both a nod and gets back to his work.

Spitfire: Our R&D department has been beyond impressive lately. O said they've been also working on a new weapons system.

Blade: Yeah, I've been working closely with him. The prototype should be ready soon. Government funding actually being put to good use for once.

The two make a quick stop so Blade can get a few weapons. Blade grabs his custom revolver, dubbed Ogun's Hammer. The revolver is capable of firing shotgun shells, rifles shells as well as .45 rounds. In addition to the revolver, he grabs two trench knives, whose composition is an alloy of steel and adamantine. Now with everything in order, they are briefed via PDA about the mission. They head to the garage and hop in an armored SUV and head off.

They are arrive to a large section of the block they parked on cordoned off with police tape and barricades. As they approach an officer eyes Blade nervously. The lead detective waves them Blade and Spitfire past the barricade to the crime scene.

Detective: Thank you both for coming. I'm Detective Miller.

Blade shakes his hand and steps past to get an up close look at the grisly scene.

Spitfire: Pleasure to meet you Detective Miller, given the circumstances. Is there any CCTV footage of what happened?

Miller: Yes our boys have it right here. Would he like to see it?

Spitfire: He'll view it when he's done looking over the area.

Miller: Ok so here we are, about 4:15, nice and quiet. A random pedestrian here and there. Now, fast forward a minute or two. See that?

Spitfire: Aston Martin Vanquish. In this area? A bit out of place I'd say.

Miller: Now there's someone walking down the street and naturally the car catches their eye. Now right there, you see the driver has their attention.

The two stumble backwards away from the car as blood splatters over the pavement. A man exits the vehicle, impeccably dressed in a black three piece suit and bowler hat. In one hand is a cane, in the other a handgun. He stands over his two victims and empties his weapon. The murderer places the gun inside a handkerchief and sit it atop the roof of his luxury car. In one smooth motion, he draws a sword from the cane and decapitates both corpses. They pause the video as Blade walks over to Spitfire and Miller with a grim expression on his face.

Blade: Left a business card. The ink has his blood in it.

Miller: How do you know that?

Spitfire: Just trust him on that detective.

They take a moment to look at the card, which reads:

The Gentleman Killer

Man about town, Soldier of Fortune, Accomplished composer

Serious Business Inquiries Only

Spitfire: So we have a killer who fancies himself as some sort of James Bond meets Jack the Ripper. Not to mention he's carrying around business cards. We've seen stranger things though.

Blade: As gruesome as this crime is, it doesn't really fall under the typical criteria requiring our involvement.

A look of incredulity sweeps over Miller and Spitfire's faces. Blade raises his hand to assuage their fears of his seemingly apathetic approach to the situation.

Blade: We'll assist as best we can. I assume you've identified the victims.

Miller: Yes, Dina Ward and Casper Burress. We haven't informed any immediate family yet. What a sick son of a bitch.

Spitfire: Just go about the investigation as you would any other time Detective. Whatever it takes. We will let you know if we find anything.

Miller: Right then. Thank you both.

Detective Miller shakes their hands and walks off to report to his superiors. Blade begins to turn away when he pauses momentarily.

Blade: Bodybag or cuffs?

Miller. Cuffs, unfortunately.

The two heroes walk back to their SUV and drive off.

Spitfire: I'm glad you didn't brush this case off. I was a little worried for a second.

Blade: You should know me better than that, but honestly this isn't our line of work. Murder is a police matter.

Spitfire: I understand that there always seems to be some demon trying to conquer our dimension or some vampire apocalypse looming. At the end of the day it's all about saving people though.

Blade: Well now they'll owe me a favor for this. So let's find this asshole and bring him in.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@oscuro: I like the story- although not sure what "pseudo-vampire" is. Is it like Morbius? Not a fan of script style though, and since you provided narration between speaking bits, you may as well have gone full prose with this. On the other hand, I should really develop a script style- I just haaaaate it. lol

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@cbishop: Her vampirism is kind of unique and I probably should have given a more thorough explanation. As for the script style, I just write that way to make it easier for myself and it makes it easier to know who is talking without the "Blade said" "she said" "Miller responded". I'm weird lol. I definitely appreciate the input though :)