Black Savage

PrinceMarvel_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I'm working on a family of African-American superheroes inspired by Black Lightning.

The main character, the dad, has powers inspired by, Gladiator, Amazing-Man, Doc Savage and Lothar.

I'm thinking about calling the character Black Savage in reference to Doc Savage. But, I am unsure of this, because I don't want to use the name if it would be considered an insult to the African-American community.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@PrinceMarvel_: Is it really even a question? Of course it would be insulting. I see how you got to the name, but it's not a good choice.

PrinceMarvel_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm doing sort of an inversion of the Black Best Friend trope, with the exception that the story is more about the black best friend than the actual hero.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlackBestFriend

I'm also considering making him John Henry's son from American folk tales with his powers having given him immortality, or longevity.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PrinceMarvel_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next thing.

I have three for sure characters in the dad, the mom (a martial artists who chooses to rely on her skills more than technology) and the oldest son (a bad-ass normal who uses technology to help his parents). I'm going to add at least one super-powered daughter, but I'm considering adding more children to the story, each with an elemental power, which would bring the total up six kids, or even eight if I add in light and shadow powers. While I know there are several families with lots of children, would this be too much for a story?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PrinceMarvel_: It depends on how well you can write it. You're talking about a team with a family dynamic. If you can make that work, great. If not, it'll get muddled up. My question is about the variety of powers. Where are all the different powers coming from in this family? Are they inherited family traits? Like in Dynamo 5, they were the five illegitimate children of Captain Dynamo, and each of them inherited one of his superpowers. Are they mutants? Given powers by a magical touch or special device? Six to eight kids with different powers begs questions.

PrinceMarvel_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, I'm considering going back down to just two children, and using chess pieces for code names.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jexsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jexsu

@PrinceMarvel_: Doesn't matter what you call 'em, because it's your character and creation. You're in control. Black Savage seems fine, and it doesn't sound insulting considering there are a few characters called Black something when their skin is black. Now, if the character was named Black something because of their skin color, then I can see how it could be insulting. But meh. Now, if others are bothered by it, ignore 'em.