Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LeonardoTMNT

Other Chapters, 

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/batmandc-chapters/617654/#1

The Detective Prince

Chapter 47

A Night at the Theater

After all the circles and turns it had finally come to an end. The grip to the sides of his coat strengthened, glaring over at him in disgust.

"We'll aren't you going to say something," Dick asked. "You must have a reason why you killed him, right?"

He was surrounded from all sides, there was no way out, and he knew it. He could only think of one thing to do. Out of desperation he tossed the coat onto the ground to reveal a butcher knife strapped upon his belt.

"Don't do anything you'll regret, it's over." Juzo said.

"That's where you're wrong," Fredreck spat with the swing of the knife. "I'm leaving, and I'm taking her as my hostage!"

He darted toward Eri who froze in place, everything seemingly going blank within that one second.

"Gotta get to her, and fast!" Kogoro thought.

By the time he took his first step it was already to late, everyone watching in shock as Fredreck's body glided to the ground. Dick stood over him, looking directly over at Ninzaburo who hurried over.

"I gave him a strike to his lower neck, he should be ok," Dick stated. "You can check his pulse if you don't believe me."

Ninzaburo did just that, leaning down in the process. Kogoro stood a few feet away, his eyes still wide from what he had seen.

"He was at least twenty feet away, how did he get there before me?" Kogoro muttered to himself.

He checked for a pulse, looking over at Inspector Megure after doing so.

"He's ok, just unconscious." Ninzaburo informed.

"Good, now let's take him down to the station," Juzo said. "The sooner he's there the better, we've had enough drama as it is."

He felt a hand touch down onto his left shoulder, turning around to see the accepting smile on her face.

"Thank you," Eri thanked. "I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't intervened."

"Anytime, I'm just glad no one else was hurt." Dick said.

"How were you able to take him down like that," Eri asked. "I remember seeing him running toward me, then you were there."

"I guess my former time as a police officer has its benefits," Dick replied. "That coupled in with a little reaction time would explain."

The two of them looked to the left to see Kogoro slowly approaching.

"Are you ok?" Kogoro asked.

"I'm fine," Eri replied. "Good thing someone was looking out for me."

"Hey, hold on a minute," Kogoro said noticing a shift in her tone. "I was going to jump in, Grayson here just managed to get there before I could."

"Is that so," Eri said. "Because if I can recall you were standing stiff from my view."

"That's not true!" Kogoro stomped.

"Let's just drop it, you're already causing a scene as it is." Eri said looking away.

Kogoro muttered something as he looked into the opposite direction. Dick took a step back, looking from one to the other.

"Why do I get the feeling I just walked in between something." Dick thought with a smile coming onto his face.

The entrance doors flew open as someone ran in, grabbing everyones attention. Two police officers followed shortly after.

"Sorry Inspector, he managed to get past us." One of the officers informed.

"Wait a minute, haven't I seen you before," Juzo asked. "You look familiar."

"That's Tim, you probably met him when we were at that party a few weeks ago," Kogoro said walking over. "What are you doing here?"

"There's actually someone I'm supposed to meet," Tim replied. "And when I saw what was going on from outside I came in to make sure everything was ok."

"Who are you supposed to be meeting with?" Kogoro asked.

"That would be me." Dick answered joining them.

"You two know each other?" Kogoro questioned.

"Of course we do, we're brothers," Tim informed. "He flew down from Gotham nearly a week ago to come see how I'm doing."

"I guess it's a small world as they say."

"Eri," Tim said recognizing the sound of her voice. "Didn't expect to see you here."

"Today's been filled with the unexpected," Eri said. "So what are you doing here, did the two of you plan on watching the cook out?"

"A cook out," Tim questioned. "There was going to be a cook out here?"

"That is until the murder occurred." Eri confirmed.

Ninzaburo made his way over with Kaimeil walking at his side.

"Megure now that everything has been cleared, will it be ok for us to start releasing everyone?" Ninzaburo asked.

"I have to get to that meeting Fredreck was supposed to attend," Kaimeil stated. "If I don't go now I'm not sure I'll be able to make it on time."

"You're free to go," Juzo said. "Everyone is for that matter, this case has been closed."

"I guess we'll be leaving as well," Dick said. "It was a pleasure working with you and your unit Megure, maybe I'll see you around some time."

"I'd like that," Juzo said. "And if you happen to see him, give Kudo my best."

Dick nodded.

"Will do," Dick said with a turn. "Come on Tim, I'm sure there's plenty of other places we can go to talk."

"Later Eri, to you as well Kogoro," Tim said before following after him. "Who knows, maybe we'll bump into each other again soon."

She watched as the two of them walked out, a smile sliding across her lips.

"I look forward to that." Eri thought.

He kicked the ball along as he walked, feeling the breeze as a speeding car past by. He kicked the ball into his arms once reaching the stairwell

"Home sweet home." Conan said before making his way up.

Once arriving into the room he closed the door behind him. Conan looked across the room to see the TV had been left on. He walked over to check the news listings which were flying in every second.

"Doesn't look like there's anything to alarming to see," Conan thought as the highlights of a car chase were shown. "I should probably give Dick a call, who knows how that case may have turned out."

He tossed the ball into one of the corners, feeling the relief on his shoulders after removing his bag.

"There you are."

Conan spun around to see Ran step out of her room.

"Where have you been," Ran asked. "I was almost sure you would get here before I did."

"I was at Agasa's," Conan replied. "He showed me a little something on his computer."

"Were your friends there with you?"

"They actually went home right after school," Conan replied. "So it was only Agasa, Haibara, and myself."

"You can turn the channel if you want, my show doesn't come on for another two hours."

"That's ok, there's nothing on that interests me at the moment." Conan said.

"Guess that makes the two of us." Ran said while reaching for the remote.

She shut the TV off before walking back into her room. Conan did the same, dragging his bag along as he opened the door to his room. He dropped his bag onto the bed once in, pulling his phone out after doing so.

"Now to see how things are going at that restaurant."

He had finally decided on a pair, looking them over one last time before taking them up to the register. After paying he walked out past the sliding doors at the front of the store.

"Now where did he run off to?"

He turned to his left to see him standing under a tree with his phone by his ear. He walked over to join him in that next second.

"Great timing," Dick said removing the phone from his ear. "Just finished."

"Who was that you were talking with?" Tim asked.

"It was Conan," Dick replied. "He wanted to know what happened in regards to the murder of Mr. Renin."

"So I see you got the chance to meet detective Mouri," Tim said. "How was it working with him?"

"I enjoyed it," Dick replied. "Not just just him, but with everyone involved in the case."

"I thought you might."

"So what's in the bag?" Dick asked looking down at his side.

"Just a pair of shoes for gym class," Tim replied. "The ones I've been using are a little worn out, and since there's a school cross meeting this Friday I decided to buy a new pair."

"What kind of meeting." Dick asked.

"Track and field is what I signed up for," Tim replied. "Of course that's not all that will be held."

"That would explain the shoes."

"You said you wanted to talk to me about Salvonte," Tim reminded. "I'm ready to hear what you had in mind."

"Here's the deal," Dick began. "I want you to go and talk with him again, but this time keep anything business related out of the discussion."

"Why," Tim questioned. "Isn't that the point of me going to see him?"

"True, but that's not how we're going to play this," Dick said. "All you need to do is find out a little more about him, maybe even tell him some stuff about yourself he might not know."

"So, you want me to raise the comfort level between us?"

"You hit it right on the money," Dick confirmed. "And with time maybe he'll see you as more than just a friend, someone he could do business with."

"Giving us just that much more room to feel around."

"You catch on fast." Dick said not surprised in the least.

"It's a risky move," Tim said. "But we are running low on options as it is, not to mention not knowing when this merger is supposed to occur."

"Bruce has come up empty just as we have," Dick informed. "This might be our only way in."

"As much as I am against this idea, he might just be right."

The day had come and gone, the night bringing a clouded sky. He glimpsed over at the clock upon his desk which ticked past nine, feeling the urge to close his eyes. A knock could be heard from the other side of the door, snapping him out of his little doze.

"It's unlocked, you can come right on in."

The door slowly opened in the next few moments.

"It's been a couple days now," Ginzo said walking in. "We have everything set up just as planned, yet Kaitou Kid has chosen not to show up."

"And why do you think that is?" Juzo asked.

This left him a little lost for words.

"I don't know," Ginzo finally replied. "There's something different about him."

"You mean the fact he's resulted to more lethal measures?"

"Even before that," Ginzo said. "For the past few months he hasn't been the same, I'm starting to get the feeling he's planning something, something we won't be expecting."

"Well if he's not going to take the bait, then how do you propose we catch him?"

"I'm still working on it," Ginzo replied. "But rest assured we will catch him."

"Let's try and make it soon rather than later."

"No worries Inspector Megure," Ginzo stated. "I'll have this wrapped up before the end of the week."

With that Ginzo headed out the door. This left Megure in the silence of the room like he had been for the previous hour. He began sorting out the papers that laid upon his desk, looking toward the door once more to hear someone approaching.

"What now?"

The door flew open to reveal Officer Takagi who quickly made his way over to the desk.

"You wanted to see me?"

"Who told you that?" Juzo asked.

The door slammed shut from behind, causing the two of them to look in that direction.

"Oh, it's just you," Juzo said sitting up from the chair. "I take it you're the one who orchestrated this little meeting?"

"Correct you are Inspector," Red Robin said stepping away from the door. "How much have you been able to gain from that last killing, any possible locations you think the culprit will strike next?"

"I was hoping you would have a possible lead," Juzo said. "There's not much we've been able to come up with from what we have."

"That's the way they want it," Red Robin said. "This whole thing seems to be a game to them."

"If this is truly a game, wouldn't they leave something behind," Wataru questioned. "Something to keep us guessing?"

"The clues lie within the deaths themselves," Red Robin pointed out. "I've been giving some thought to the latest killing."

"And what have you been able to come up with?" Juzo asked.

"According to the report given, the latest police officer was killed via drowning," Red Robin began. "This is an eye opener considering the change in tactic."

"But there was still a cut on the body," Wataru said. "Why cut someone if they're already dead?"

"Simple," Red Robin replied. "To represent a landmark, the culprit intentionally did this to give us a clue as to where they will strike next."

"Please explain," Juzo said. "I'm not so sure I follow?"

"There's a water park that opens up this weekend down town," Red Robin informed. "The way our last victim was killed coupled in with that slash mark upon his chest might be pointing to that very location."

"Great work," Juzo commented. "I'll have my men on the look out."

"I wouldn't jump the gun just yet."

"What do you mean?" Wataru asked.

"That only answers part of the riddle," Red Robin replied. "I've yet to find out what the number nine represents."

"I thought you said it had something to do with a countdown." Juzo stated.

"As a whole, yes," Red Robin said. "I also believe that each number individually left behind at each scene represents something, maybe even a hint to the next murder to occur."

"We're currently at nine," Wataru said. "What do you think will happen if we reach zero?"

"The finale," Red Robin replied. "And I don't plan on us reaching that point."

"I don't like the sound of that." Wataru thought.

He made his way over to the window, stopping before reaching it to glimpse back at the two.

"I think we should find a more discreet place to meet from here on out," Red Robin said. "This way we can avoid any possible run ins with anyone walking throughout the station."

"Good idea." Juzo said in agreement.

"I'll let you know when I come up with a location," Red Robin said turning for the window. "Not to mention, there's someone I want you both to meet."

"Someone you want us to meet?" Wataru questioned.

"Until next time." Red Robin said before jumping out of the window.

"I wonder what that was about." Juzo said.

"Any idea who he wants us to meet," Wataru asked. "Maybe the rumor about him and Kid working together are true."

"Time will only tell," Juzo said. "Remember, we keep this whole thing between the two of us."

"Understood."

The next morning brought a strong wind which glided throughout the streets, speeding past any standing trees. Everything seemed to flow at a quick pace from the morning up the till afternoon. The final bell of the school day rang loud to their ears. Conan was one of the first to leave the classroom. The rest of his friends caught up to him once arriving outside.

"Where are you going in such a hurry?" Genta called out.

"I guess I got a little spaced out." Conan replied.

"So how's tomorrow sound," Mitsuhiko asked. "Did the two of you find out if you can go to the movie Wednesday?"

"It's ok with my parents." Ayumi said.

"My dad is taking me in for an appointment after school tomorrow," Genta informed. "So I was thinking maybe we could go and see the movie tonight."

Mitsuhiko stepped back while rubbing the top of his head. He took a few seconds to give it some thought.

"Well none of us have any homework," Mitsuhiko said. "So I don't see why not."

"I guess that's means we'll have to ask our parents if it's ok." Ayumi said.

"Where should we meet if we're clear to go?" Genta asked.

"Conan's of course," Mitsuhiko declared. "He lives the closest to the theater after all."

"Then let's hurry," Genta stated. "Who knows how many showings are scheduled for tonight."

"See you guys later." Mitsuhiko said taking off as well.

Ayumi did the same, leaving Conan and Ai the lone two still standing there. He turned to face her after the others cleared out.

"Do you still plan on coming?" Conan asked.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

He couldn't help but smile at how direct she was with her response.

"I guess I'll see you then." Conan said before turning to head home.

He found himself gazing up at the clouds as he walked, admiring the many different shapes and sizes. He arrived back at the detective agency not long after. He pushed the front door open to find Ran sitting at the table with a pencil in hand. It was quiet, more quiet than he expected for this time of day.

"I wonder what's going on here."

He slowly made his way over to her side, looking down at the table to see a text book and a spiral note book at the right of it.

"Hi Ran," Conan said getting her attention. "What are you working on?"

"Preparing myself for tomorrows math test," Ran replied. "How was school today?"

"The usual," Conan replied. "The day went by pretty fast for a Tuesday."

"That's good."

Conan placed his bag to the side as he took a seat next to her, smiling as he did.

"Would you like some tips," Conan asked. "Note taking is my expertise, especially when it involves math."

"Thanks for offering Conan," Ran said smilingly. "But I'm afraid this might just be to complex for someone your age."

"Please," Conan plead. "I can almost assure you that you'll find my methods more than useful."

"Ok," Ran said in acceptance. "Show me these skills of yours."

"Watch closely," Conan said sliding the text book his way. "Every step is as important as the last."

Nearly an hour past as they went through his method of note taking, Ran carefully listening to him as she continued writing away.

"Thanks a lot Conan, I'll have to start taking notes like you do," Ran said. "Where did you learn how to take notes like this anyway?"

"Agasa gave me a few pointers about two months ago," Conan replied. "I've taken my notes just like this ever since."

The two of them turned at the sound of a knock coming at the door.

"I wonder who that could be?"

"I'll get it." Ran said while pushing up from her knees.

Conan watched as she opened the door to reveal the four of his friends standing on the other side.

"Are you still coming?" Mitsuhiko asked.

"Conan," Ran said looking over. "Where are you going?"

"To see a movie," Conan replied. "The Goats Medallion if I can recall."

"All that's left is the seven O'clock showing," Genta said. "Our parents won't let us go unless someone older goes with us."

"Why's that?" Ran asked.

"Because of how late it will be after it's over," Mitsuhiko replied. "I tried asking my sister but she's busy."

"Will you go with us Ran?" Ayumi asked.

"As much as I'd love to I can't," Ran replied. "I still have a full chapter to complete."

"Bummer," Genta said with the drop of his shoulders. "I guess we'll have to go another time."

"Don't give up hope just yet," Ran said. "Conan why don't you try asking Tim, I'm sure he'll be willing to take the five of you."

"That's a great idea!" Ayumi shouted.

"Let's hurry and get over there," Mitsuhiko said looking down at his watch. "The movie starts in an hour and forty five."

"He's right," Genta said. "We'll be late if we don't go now."

Conan quickly slid on his shoes, tieing the laces tightly before heading out the door along with his friends.

"Have fun and be safe." Ran said waving to the five of them as they walked down the stairwell.

"We will." Ayumi said waving back.

"Tim's not going to like this one bit."

They moved as quickly as they could, knowing the time was ticking away. Once arriving at the apartment complex Conan singled for all of them to come to a stop.

"What's wrong Conan?" Ayumi asked.

"You four stay here, I'll go up and ask him if he'll go with us." Conan stated.

"Why do we have to stay here?" Genta questioned.

"Yea," Mitsuhiko remarked in agreement. "Are you afraid he'll say no if we're with you?"

"It's not that," Conan said. "I'd just rather do it alone, I promise I won't be long, so stay here."

With that said Conan headed toward the doors. Once in he made his way over to the elevator. He entered only to be joined by three others. He arrived on the fourth floor shortly after, heading straight for his room.

"Let's hope he says yes."

That was his last thought, giving the door three firm knocks. The door slid open moments later, Tim glimpsing down to see him standing a few feet away.

"Just the guy I wanted to see," Tim said widening the door. "There's something important I need to talk to you about."

"Can we save it for later?" Conan asked.

"... Sure," Tim said with the lift of a brow. "So if you're not here to talk, then what are you here for?"

"It's a, well... can you take my friends and I to go see a movie," Conan asked. "There parents won't let them go unless someone older goes along with us, I hate to bother you with this, but there's no one else available."

"No worries Shinichi, I'll take you guys," Tim said giving him an answer. "Besides I could use some time out of this room."

"Great, the others will be overjoyed."

"Hold on for a minute," Tim said. "I'm going to go throw on a light jacket, I heard it's supposed to get a little cool tonight."

"Take your time, I'll be right here waiting." Conan said leaning against the wall.

He waited in the same spot just like he said. Tim returned shortly after, locking the door before closing it.

"Where are the others?" Tim asked.

"Waiting for us outside," Conan replied. "I heard you showed up at Sea Top after Dick solved that case yesterday."

"We had a little talk after I bought a new set of shoes," Tim said. "He wants me to have another meet with Salvonte, which I plan on setting up soon."

"Is Dick going to help you set that up?"

"He's actually busy with an agenda of his own," Tim informed. "As of last night Dick has pin pointed four of Brutho's hideouts, if you want to call them that."

"Do we know which one he's staying at?" Conan asked.

Tim nodded, pushing down onto the button.

"If that's the case, then why not go in and hand him over to the police," Conan questioned. "That would leave us with only the Black Yangs and the White Tiger to deal with."

"It's not that simple."

The two of them entered the elevator with the doors closing behind.

"You cut off a demons head, another is surely to grow in it's place," Tim said putting it into perspective. "If we're going to rid ourselves of the Outworlders we'll have to do it in one massive blow, one little jab here and there won't do the trick."

"How do we plan on doing that," Conan asked. "It's not like we can take them all on at the same time."

"That's not the plan," Tim stated, "We're going to hit them where it hurts, there will be no recovering if all goes right."

"Where do I fit into all of this?"

"You're going to be our stealth card." Tim replied.

"Sounds promising."

"I hope you've worked on your poker face, you'll be needing it," Tim informed. "Your next task will be dangerously fun, just the way you like it."

"Don't stop there, my interest level is only rising."

They reached the first floor, stepping out into the lobby.

"We'll have to put a cap on it for now, but we'll discuss matters further the next time you're over."

"I hate waiting." Conan mumbled.

They made their way out through the entrance doors to find the others standing over by the bus stop.

"Ha, I told you he'd be back in under ten minutes." Genta said.

"Hi Tim." Ayumi said waving up to him.

He smiled in return.

"It's good to see you all again," Tim said. "So what is it you guys plan on seeing?"

"The Goats Medallion," Mitsuhiko replied. "We have a little under an hour before it begins."

"The theater is not to far from here if I'm not mistaken, so there's no need to rush." Tim said as they began walking. "Anyone have an idea what this movie is going to be about?"

They kept conversation while they walked. He glimpsed back as they did, looking to see Ai straggling from behind.

"I wonder if she's always this quiet," Tim thought. "Or maybe she gets this way when someone she doesn't fully know is around."

They arrived at the movie theater within the next fifteen minutes. After paying for their tickets they were directed to head left, to room three.

"Looks like we came early enough," Genta said as they walked in. "There's still plenty of seats left."

"Let's sit in the mid section." Mitsuhiko suggested.

"I'd rather sit up in the right corner," Ayumi said in disagreement. "What do you think Conan?"

"The right corner it is." Conan said not wanting to get on her bad side.

Mitsuhiko shrugged this off as they made their way in that direction. Once there they all took a seat in the same general vicinity.

"Last chance," Tim said. "Are you sure none of you want anything to eat?"

"I had enough for dinner, that alone should hold me for the rest of the night." Genta replied.

"That would be a first." Conan thought to himself.

The lights above shut off minutes later, alerting them the movie was about to begin. Conan sat back with his hands rested to the back of his head, preparing himself for anything. It didn't take long for him to show his feeling toward the movie. Fifteen minutes in Conan could be seen shaking his head from one side to the other.

"This is beyond ridiculous."

It was bad, yet so humorous. That was the only thing that kept his eyes from closing. He didn't keep track of how long he had been sitting, all of his thoughts and focus taken over by what was on the screen. Then he felt it, something touching down onto his left shoulder. It was a warming feeling, causing him to ease back even further. He looked at his side to find her head rested upon his shoulder, her shallow breaths calming his tenseness.

"... Haibara."

He tried repositioning himself only to have her right hand fall upon his upper leg. He gasped out only to feel a nudge at his right arm.

"Didn't know you had it in you to play both sides of the fence," Tim jokingly whispered. "First Ran now Shiho, phew, wait till Dick hears about this."

"That's not true," Conan exclaimed. "And you know it."

"Shhh, I'm trying to watch the movie." Ayumi said glaring over at him.

"Yea Conan, we're trying to watch the movie." Tim said adding fuel to the fire.

"Out of all times, why did this have to happen tonight?"

Conan looked back to Ai once more, figuring out how he was going to move her without awakening her. Some times a little luck played into these situations, just like it would tonight. A loud scream echoed throughout the walls, captivating everyones attention in the theater. Ai's eyes immediately sprang open.

"Where did that come from?" Ayumi asked.

"Defiantly not from the movie." Mitsuhiko said as another scream could be heard.

"It's coming from inside the hall," Tim said jumping from his seat. "I want all of you to stay here, I'll be right back."

They watched as he took off.

"What if it's a murder?" Mitsuhiko questioned.

"Then we should follow after him," Genta said jumping from his seat as well. "We are the Detective Boys after all."

"Not to mention Tim may need our help." Ayumi added.

"Hurry, let's go!" Mitsuhiko instructed.

Conan shook his head as they took off.

"Sorry Tim, but we're not ones to just sit and wait for results." Conan said as he to headed for the door.

To Be Continued

LeonardoTMNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LeonardoTMNT

The Detective Prince

Chapter 48

The Substitute

It was nearly pitch dark once he reached the hall, his eyes slowly adjusting to the darkness.

"Someone must have shut off the lights," Tim thought while feeling his way around. "Maybe even all the electricity, I don't hear a single movie rolling in any of the rooms."

The same scream could be heard once more. What came to his ears next left an electrifying feeling throughout his body. One gun shot, followed by the sound of something hitting the ground.

"That doesn't sound good," Tim thought while racing into that direction. "What in the world is going on?"

Everything fell dead silent from that moment forward. He slowly pushed on, not wanting to alert any possible gunmen of his moon shined bright from a window above, lighting his way as he tip toed along. He kept his eyes lowered toward the ground as he walked, looking out for anyone who could be hurt or wounded. Sure enough he caught sight of someone laid out across the ground, kneeling down at their side to give them a look.

"They're breathing, that's good to know." Tim thought. "Better keep my ears peeled, there's no telling who could be lurking from my blind side."

The lighting was dim, but there was just enough of it for him to pin point where the ticket booth stood. He quietly made his way over, looking down to find someone laying beneath the counter. He dropped to a knee once more, giving them a soft tug. He received no response in return. He then reached for the neck to check for a pulse, feeling a warm wetness near their shoulder.

"She's alive, thankfully," Tim said removing his hand from the body. "The loss of blood must have put her under, she'll defiantly need medical attention."

Tim's head sprung up at the sound of someone stepping onto a pile of broken glass from behind. He spun around to see a dark figure standing a few feet away, catching sight of a gun pointed directly at him.

"Looks like I have the gunman locked in," Tim thought while reaching for a cord clamped into the wall. "Now to play a card, gotta make this quick if this is going to work."

Before either could make a move the sound of foot steps fast approaching caused the gunman to turn and run. Tim watched as they slid the gun into a gun holder strapped on their left leg.

"Tonight's your lucky night my good man, next time you won't be so fortunate." They spoke while coming to a stop.

"That voice... could it be," Tim thought. "Can't worry about that now, can't let them get away."

By the time Tim got to his feet it was already to late. The mystery man had already pulled a grappler of some kind out from their side, shooting it up toward the window. Tim could only watch as they successfully escaped.

"A cape...?"

That was the last thing he saw before the gunman vanished into the night. A bright light flashed onto the side of his face, causing him to swing his head around.

"Don't be alarmed, it's just us." Mitsuhiko said holding his wrist watch in place.

"I kinda had an idea you guys would follow along," Tim said. "Just thought it'd be sooner."

"We would have been here quicker, but Conan took us on a search for the fuse box." Ayumi informed.

"Did you happen to find it?" Tim asked.

"We sure did," Mitsuhiko replied. "It was way over by the back door exit."

"Did any of you try pushing the lever up?"

"We tried, but the electricity didn't come back on." Genta stated.

"And after hearing the gun fire I called the police," Conan informed. "Did you see what happened?"

He shook his head in response.

"No, I didn't see anything," Tim replied. "It was to dark, whoever did this must have run off before I got here."

"Are you sure you didn't see anything?" Conan asked.

"I'm positive, all I remember hearing is shots fired."

"Darn," Genta exclaimed. "How are we supposed to find whoever did this now, there's no telling where they could have gone to."

"We'll leave it to the police," Tim said looking away. "This is something they'll be more equipped to handle."

"He's right," Ayumi said. "There's not much we can do until the police analyze the scene, once they do we might be able to help based from their findings."

"Let's hope they get here soon," Genta said. "It wouldn't be good if the shooter came back, it's to dark in here to see."

Conan looked up at Tim while his friends continued to talk, noticing his eyes fixated toward the window above.

"I wonder what that's all about," Conan thought. "Did he see something he's not telling?"

It wasn't long after that everyone else who filled the theater made their way out as well. The sound of the sirens could be heard coming from up the street as they made their way toward the doors. Once out they stood along the side walk to wait for the incoming police cars.

"That was quick, I didn't expect them to arrive this fast." Mitsuhiko said.

"Do you think they'll find out who did this?" Ayumi asked.

"If they do I bet we don't find out until tomorrow some time," Mitsuhiko said. "Who knows, maybe it'll be in the morning paper."

"Good guess," Genta said. "I'll defiantly be giving it a look."

He had kept to himself from the time they arrived outside, watching as many different vehicles drove past. It didn't take long for Ai to take notice of this. He turned at the sound of her stopping at his side.

"Is everything alright," Ai asked. "You're usually more enthusiastic at a time like this."

"I'm fine," Conan said assured. "It's just.. the whole thing with the power being shut down, none of it's clean cut."

"You mean the fact we weren't able to switch the power back on?"

"Not just that," Conan said. "But how would someone be able to shut off the electricity, then seconds later be at the ticket booth to open fire?"

"Maybe there's more than one person we're dealing with." Ai said.

"Could be," Conan acknowledged. "And with Kogoro not here, I can't exactly go in to investigate without being kicked out."

"Looks like we've hit a roadblock."

"On more than one front." Conan added.

The police exited their cars shortly after. Conan looked over as they talked with a few of the bystanders, not recognizing any of the four officers.

"I guess I better get you kids home," Tim said. "Sorry your movie night got ruined."

"It's ok," Ayumi said. "We can always try again this weekend when things clear up."

"Only if we decide to go see something else." Conan thought.

"It looks like the police have everything under wraps," Tim said. "We should be good to go if you guys are ready."

"I guess there's no point in sticking around," Mitsuhiko said. "Maybe there's something good on TV I can catch before going to bed."

"That's the spirit," Tim said with a smile. "So who are we dropping off first?"

"Conan of course," Ayumi stated. "He lives the closest."

"Alright then," Tim said turning to walk. "Let's go before it gets any darker."

With that the six of them walked away from the theater. Conan continuously glimpsed back as they walked, doing so until the theater was out of view. The events that took place rested on his mind throughout the rest of the night, feeling there was something he'd missed.

The next morning brought a fast start. His eyes peaked open at the sound of a honking truck from outside. Still exhausted from the previous night, Conan slowly forced himself up. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes before stepping down onto the ground.

"I just know there's something I missed," Conan thought to himself. "After school I'm going to head back down to the theater, there's got to be a trick the gunmen used to shut off the electricity."

A knock came at the door just as he finished getting dressed. He grabbed his bag which laid in the corner of the room before opening the door to find Ran standing over him.

"Good morning." Conan said strapping the bag over his shoulders. "I thought you'd be gone by now, considering how late I got up."

"You didn't over sleep, there's still twenty minutes before class begins." Ran informed.

"How'd your chapter notes go," Conan asked. "Did you get finished?"

"As a matter a fact I did, thanks again for sharing your method with me," Ran said. "I'm sorry about your movie."

"You heard about what happened?"

"Tim told me," Ran informed. "He's actually outside waiting."

"For what?" Conan asked.

"We're walking to school together today," Ran replied. "He wanted to talk to you about something, that's why I knocked on your door to see if you were still here."

"Did he say what it was about?"

Ran shook her head in response.

"He didn't say."

"I wonder what it could be?"

"When you go down could you let him know I'll be a few more minutes?" Ran asked.

Conan nodded.

"Will do."

"Thanks Conan."

He headed out the front door after watching Ran walk into her room, quickly making his way down the stairs. It didn't take long for Conan to locate him, turning to his right to see him standing against the wall.

"Nice little cover up," Conan commented. "If you really wanted to talk to me you could have just called."

"I thought it would be better if we discussed this in person," Tim said. "It's about last night."

"Does this have something to do with what happened at the theater?"

"I lied to you when I said I didn't see anything," Tim admitted. "The truth is, I did get a glimpse of the gunman."

"Then how come you didn't just say so when I asked?"

"How he was dressed, the way he spoke," Tim began. "... I think our mystery man is Kaitou Kid."

"What," Conan said in disbelief. "Are you sure?"

"Not one hundred percent, it was pretty dark to say the least," Tim replied. "Didn't want to upset your friends, that's why I didn't tell you."

"Thanks, that's the last thing they needed to hear," Conan said. "So where do we go from here?"

"Simple, I'm going to track down Kid," Tim answered. "Then I'll know for sure if it was him I encountered last night."

"How do you plan on confirming anything by asking him," Conan questioned. "I don't see how that will help, being the fact he can simply deny being the one you saw."

"Don't worry, I know exactly what to do," Tim said assuringly. "The truth will reveal itself in the process."

"You seem to have a plan, so I'll leave it to you," Conan said. "What about that little task you had in mind for me in regards to Brutho?"

Before he could receive a response, the two turned at the sound of someone heading down the stairs. Ran appeared shortly after, smiling over at the two of them with a step forward.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

"Not at all," Tim said. "We just finished what we needed to say, perfect timing on your part."

"What were the two of you talking about anyway?" Ran asked out of curiosity.

"Wizards and Dungeons." Conan quickly replied.

"What's that?"

"Something you wouldn't be interested in," Tim replied while looking down at his watch. "We have less than fifteen minutes before class begins, we better get going before we're late."

"I guess that goes for me as well." Conan said.

"I have practice today, so I'll be a little late getting home," Ran said. "Try to hold off on eating anything, I'm going to fix dinner as soon as I get home."

"I won't." Conan promised.

"Good, I'll see you after school."

They parted ways from there, Conan heading in the opposite direction of the two. He paved his way along the roadside, wondering what the meaning of last nights attack meant. There was a lot to consider, but he had nothing to pin point why.

"Why was the theater chosen for the attack, and what message was the shooter trying to send," Conan thought. "They elected not to be seen, so that rules out framing if it's true the culprit isn't Kid."

This remained on his mind the whole way to school. It was very apparent as he entered the school premises, the three of them seeing the vague look on his face.

"Conan doesn't look so good, do you think he's sick?" Ayumi asked.

"I doubt it," Genta replied. "He's probably just upset because we didn't get to finish watching the movie last night."

"Wouldn't worry about it," Mitsuhiko said. "It's probably more on the lines of not being able to solve what happened last night."

They became quiet as he neared, smiling over at him to brighten the mood.

"Hey Conan, how's it going?" Ayumi asked cheerfully.

"...Good, I guess," Conan replied. "Where's Haibara, I thought she'd be with you guys."

"I haven't seen her all morning." Mitsuhiko said looking around.

"Maybe she's not coming today." Genta said.

"You want me to give her a call?" Ayumi asked.

"No need to, I'm sure she's just running a little late," Conan replied. "Let's get to class, I'm sure she'll join us pretty soon."

"Last one there carries everyones bags after class." Genta declared before taking off.

"Sounds like a deal to me!" Mitsuhiko said running after him.

Ayumi did the same, leaving Conan standing alone.

"That was unexpected."

He accepted defeat, not interested in racing any of them to class.

The first period of the day seemed to go by quickly. Maybe it was due to the fact of having a substitute teacher who spent more than of class telling his life story.

"One down, three more to go."

He made his way to the locker room minutes later, changing into his gym clothes for the class period. Once doing so he closed the locker to find Argo standing at the left of him.

"Hey Tim, have you seen our sub for the day," Argo asked. "She's a real hottie."

"Another substitute?"

"What do you mean?"

"I just had a sub in my chemistry class," Tim replied. "This makes the second of the day."

"That must mean something," Argo stated. "Who knows, maybe it's a sign of something special to come."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Don't tell me you don't believe in fortune." Argo said before heading for the door.

"What does any of this have to do with fortune?" Tim asked following after him.

They arrived into the gym shortly after, having a seat in the center of the room along with everyone else. Five minutes passed while they sat in wait.

"Class should have started two minutes ago, where's our instructor?"

The wait finally came to an end moments later, the sound of a whistle being blown alerting everyone of her arrival.

"It's about time," Someone said from behind. "I was beginning to wonder if class got canceled or something."

She lowered the whistle from her mouth before making her way to the front of the room.

"I'm glad to see everyone made it to class on time."

"Except you." Argo mumbled.

"That will be five laps around the gym, anything else that comes from your mouth will be an additional three laps." She said looking his way.

"Who me?" Argo asked.

"That's seven laps."

Not another word came from his mouth, many of his classmates giggling as he made his way over to begin his rounds.

"Wow, she really means business."

"My name is Teia Njoo," She said introducing herself. "You can call me Ms. N for short."

"Are we running the mile today like we were scheduled to?" Airi asked with the raise of her hand.

"That has been scrapped from todays lesson," Ms. N replied. "We'll start off with your normal warm ups, if everyone participates we'll be looking at a relatively easy day, sound fair enough?"

"Best teacher ever." Sonoko said in response.

Unlike the previous day He waited outside of the classroom door for his friends to come out, anxious to return to the scene.

"Class went by fast today." Genta said walking out along with Ayumi and Mitsuhiko at his side.

"I don't know Genta," Mitsuhiko said with a pause. "It seemed to drag if you ask me, wouldn't you say Conan?"

"I was to busy working to really pay attention to the time," Conan replied. "I plan on heading back to the theater, do you guys want to come along?"

"I need to check in with my parents first." Genta said.

"As do I," Mitsuhiko said. "I'll meet you up there after I do."

"Shouldn't we go stop by Agasa's first," Ayumi questioned. "Ai never showed up for class."

"You guys can go ahead and do that," Conan said. "I really want to get back to the crime scene as soon as possible."

"I see what you're trying to pull," Genta said with the cross of his arms. "You just want to solve the case so you can take all the credit for yourself."

"If I don't go now there might not be anything left to uncover," Conan said denying his accusation. "Once the police feel they've found all they need, what makes you think they won't clean up the scene?"

Genta scratched the top of his head while giving some thought to what he said.

"I guess you have a point."

"Which is why I have to go now," Conan said. "If any you decide to come along, I'll see you there."

Over the past week he realized just how packed his locker was becoming. He reached in to maneuver his supplies, making room for yet another text book.

"I should really think about taking some of this stuff back to the apartment, next thing you know I won't even be able to fit a dime in here." Tim said closing the locker.

He turned to walk only to bump into Sonoko who stood in his path.

"What are you still doing here," Tim questioned. "School ended ten minutes ago."

"Are you always this late getting out?" Sonoko asked.

"Pretty much, it's not like I'm in a rush to get anywhere," Tim replied. "What about you, why are you still here?"

"We have another test coming up next Wednesday."

"And?"

"You're supposed to help me study remember?" Sonoko reminded.

"But it's going to be multiple choice," Tim said. "You should be able to pull a superb grade easy, you've actually been paying attention."

"Well obviously you haven't been, because only the first three pages of the test are multiple choice," Sonoko informed. "The four last pages are written responses."

"Guess I have been spacing out in class a little." Tim thought.

"So how does today sound," Sonoko asked. "I could follow you back to your place or you could come over my house, either way works."

"Yea... I actually have a lot on my plate for tonight."

"How about tomorrow?" Sonoko asked.

"The weekend would be better, that way we can be more flexible with the time."

"Good point." Sonoko said coming to an agreement.

The sound of the door to the teachers lounge flew open, causing the two of them to look over to see Ms. N heading their way.

"Just the person I was looking for," Teia said coming to a stop in front of the two. "I thought for sure you'd be gone by now."

"Why do you need to see me," Sonoko asked. "Did I do something wrong?"

"You did great in class today, both of you for that matter," Teia stated. "I was actually hoping you could contact a certain someone for me."

"Who do you need me to get ahold of?" Sonoko asked.

"Shinichi Kudo," Teia replied. "I did a little asking around amongst the other students and they said if anyone knew where to find him it would be you."

"Me?" Sonoko questioned surprised at this.

"Let me guess," Teia said with a smile. "Are you his girlfriend?"

"Oh gosh no," Sonoko firmly denied. "He is far from my type."

"Why do you need to speak with Shinichi," Tim asked stepping in. "Do you know him?"

"I met him three years ago at a library," Teia confirmed. "I heard he's become quite the detective."

"What do you need to talk to him about," Sonoko asked. "Is there something you need help with?"

"Just see if you can get ahold of him," Teia said. "Tell him to meet me at central park no later than noon tomorrow, let him know it's important."

"I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you Ms. Suzuki, you don't know how much this means to me," Teia said turning to walk. "You two stay out of trouble now."

Tim's eyes narrowed, watching as she disappeared around the corner. He felt a slight nudge at his side seconds later.

"Tim, are you ok," Sonoko asked. "Is something bothering you?"

"It's nothing, just thinking."

"Well I'm going to go wait for Ran to finish with her karate session, if there's anyone who can get ahold of Shinichi it's her," Sonoko said. "Would you like to come along?"

"Can't, I have something I need to attend to."

It had hit past mid day. The traffic quickly begging to pick up just like it always did around this time. He walked with his hands rested in is pocket, looking upward to see the street light turn red. With that he made his way toward the other side. Just as he stepped onto the sidewalk he heard a loud honk, looking over to see a red car he had never seen before.

"Were they honking at me?"

The car slowly pulled up with the window in the passenger seat sliding down.

"Need a ride?" Dick asked from the drivers seat.

"When did you get this." Conan accepted while opening the door to get in.

"Rented it this morning," Dick replied. "Where to?"

"The theater," Conan answered. "I want to have another look at the crime scene, not sure if Tim told you what happened last night."

"Just got done driving past there, and let me be the first to say you're not getting in," Dick stated. "The place is packed; police, bystanders, newscasters, you name it."

"Great," Conan said sitting back with a huff. "I had a feeling that might happen."

"Any place else you'd like me to take you?"

"You could give me a ride to Agasa's," Conan replied. "Haibara didn't show up for class today, I think I better go check on her."

"Your wish is my command."

The light turned green moments later, allowing for them to move on. Dick reached over as they drove, flipping on the radio.

"Do you have a music station you like, or would you prefer to hear the news?"

"Anything works," Conan replied. "I'll let you decide."

He laid back in thought the rest of the ride there, occasionally looking out the window to gaze up at the sky.

"We're here." Dick said after parking.

Conan left his bag in the seat, locking the door before closing it. Surprisingly the gate was unlocked.

"Bet he's expecting you." Dick said.

"You might be right."

They made their way up to the door, giving the bell a ring before taking a step back. The door slid open not long after.

"Conan, I had an idea you would come," Hiroshi said. "I see you brought Grayson along as well."

"It's actually Dick who brought me," Conan corrected. "Where's Haibara, is she ok?"

"She woke up with a massive headache this morning which prompted her to stay home for the day," Hiroshi informed. "I was actually in the kitchen whipping up a batch of tea for her to drink."

"Where is she?" Conan asked.

"Laying on the couch," Hiroshi replied while stepping aside. "Come on in, we could use the company."

They took him up on his offer. Conan headed straight for the couch, arriving to find her laying on her back.

"You had everyone worried at school today you know," Conan stated. "Are you feeling any better than you did a few hours ago?"

"Still rather light headed, but I'm getting there,." Ai said while turning her head to face him.

"Well that's good to hear, just keep taking it easy."

The two looked over as Dick approached with a cup in his right hand.

"Time to ease up," Dick instructed. "Here's a little something for you to drink."

"I'm not very thirsty." Ai protested.

"Doctors orders." Dick countered.

She gave in, sitting up and taking the cup from his hand. Conan looked down at the sound of his phone ringing from within his pocket.

"Who's that?" Ai asked before taking a sip.

"This won't take long," Conan said before stepping aside. "I think I better take this."

He made his way over to the wall where he leaned, answering the call after doing so.

"Hey Tim, what's up?"

"I'm not sure yet."

"What do you mean?" Conan asked.

"It's a long story," Tim replied. "But I need you to tell me if you know a Teia Njoo."

"... That name doesn't ring a bell," Conan replied after giving it some thought. "Why do you ask."

"She was a substitute for gym class today, claimed she knows you."

"Is that so," Conan said becoming interested. "What did she say?"

"Teia wants to meet with you come noon of tomorrow."

"Why," Conan questioned. "I don't even know her."

"Not according to what she said."

"This whole thing seems shady, I think you should have a look into her file." Conan said.

"Already took the liberty of doing so," Tim informed. "A hard in depth look past the surface."

"And what were you able to find?"

"Nothing, zilch," Tim replied. "There's defiantly something going on, and we need to find out what."

"No kidding."

"How soon can you be over?"

"Ten minutes," Conan replied. "Give me ten minutes."

"See you then."

Their conversation ended from there, Conan dropping his phone back into his pocket. Dick glimpsed over at him, seeing the slight distress in his face.

"Teia Njoo..," Conan thought while placing a hand over his chin. "Who is she?"

To Be Continued