User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LeonardoTMNT

Other Chapters,

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/batmandc-chapters/617654/#1

The Detective Prince

Chapter 41

Undercover Alliance

"Now what, I'm a sitting duck."

There was no other way out, frozen to where he stood. Several scenarios went through his mind as the entrance door flew wide, watching as they raised and pointed their weapons to all sides of the room. He was unable to move, unsure how they'd respond at any attempt of doing so. The sound of a window shattering from behind caused him to budge just slightly, feeling himself taken to the ground as the first shots were fired. It was no surprise when he turned to see who had taken him to the ground.

"Stay down."

Heiji did as instructed, rolling onto his stomach to see Freil taking cover behind a chair. Many screamed as the shooting escalated, all rifles quickly aiming at him.

"Who is this guy?" One yelled finding his shots missing wide.

"It must be Red Robin, make sure he doesn't escape," Another replied pulling down to the trigger to lose sight of him. "Where'd he go?"

"There's no Red Robin here folks," Dick said touching down behind the two. "The names Nightwing."

They immediately spun around only to be kicked to the ground. The three remaining men took aim once more, having their guns knocked from their hands with the use of his escrima sticks.

"Are we done yet," Nightwing asked. "Or would you boys like to dance some more?"

"What in the hell are you doing here," One of them spat. "This has nothing to do with you."

"I'm sorry, was I interrupting something?" Nightwing asked tauntingly.

"Yea, and you're going to wish you hadn't."

"Well, better make it fast," Nightwing informed. "The police station is just up the block, I can hear the sirens heading our way already."

They became hesitant, looking to one another. The police sirens became louder with each passing second, everyone on the ground keeping their positions. It didn't take long for them to give in, running for the door with the grab of their weapons.

"The times ticking freak," One of them yelled as they ran. "You haven't seen the last of us, that's a guarantee!"

They made it back into their vehicles in a quick fashion, speeding off right on the spot. Heiji slowly pushed to his knees, watching as Nightwing slammed a pair of smoke bombs to the ground. He inhaled some of what came his way, feeling the muscles tense up to the chest, his eyes lingering with a burning sensation. He coughed out with the grip of his chest, feeling himself lifted from the ground.

No action had been taken yet, both waiting for the other to make the first move. He took a step away from the body, keeping eye connection with him the whole way.

"You have to believe me, I'm not the one who did this."

"So you just happened to be swooping by and saw the body laying here," Makoto said not giving in one bit. "Now the question becomes, what you did with the other body."

"Other body," Red Robin questioned. "There was someone else up here?"

"Don't play the lost lamb, you know what I'm talking about."

"You misunderstand, I came up here after hearing a few gun shots fired." Red Robin said.

"Lucky you, being in right place at the right time to hear all of this," Makoto said undoing his tie. "Between this and running from the police, you've given me little to believe anything you say."

"He has a point," Red Robin thought. "And there's nothing I can say to change his mind, gotta think fast, his patience with me is dwindling with every passing second."

He stood firm as Makoto approached, running out of ideas to weather down the situation.

"You have one last chance," Makoto said stopping just inches away. "Turn yourself in, it's the only rationale thing to do."

"Not happening."

"Then you leave me with no choice," Makoto said rolling up his sleeves. "I'll have to take you in myself."

"Good luck with that." Red Robin said taking a fierce kick to the chest which caused him to lose his footing.

"Woh, this guys quick," Red Robin thought readying himself for combat. "Gotta be on my toes, there's no telling what I'm in for."

Makoto followed up with a quick jab at the head as a distraction, landing a punishing knee to the gut. He finished his assault with a power roundhouse kick to the head, sending him to the ground in success. He popped right up only to have Kyogoku jump at him with the wrap of his legs around his neck, taking them both to the ground this time. Makoto instantly flipped back to his feet, taking into his stance once again. He laid there for a few moments longer, feeling the head aching affects of landing face first to the ground.

"...Ok, now that was just embarrassing," Red Robin said slowly pushing up. "Guess I underestimated him just a bit, that's not going to happen again."

"Are we done yet?" Makoto asked.

"Not a chance."

"Have it your way, but I'd advice against continuing this fight for your sake."

"Then let's not," Red Robin said. "We could figure out what happened to this woman, together."

"Enough," Makoto said launching forward. "I will not be deceived by your continuous denial of having any involvement."

Red Robin unleashed a damaging uppercut on contact, sending him flying to the ground. Makoto landed to his right hand, swinging a kick at Red Robin who dodged it with a backward jump.

"Wow he's got some extreme balance, I'm impressed."

With his left hand touching down as well, he flipped right back into action.

"I don't think words are going to shift his mind," Red Robin thought to himself. "But I think I know what might just do the trick."

Makoto continued his pursuit, engaging him once more. They continued to exchange hits, feeling the advantage slipping his way the longer it went on.

"He's falling back," Makoto thought as they neared the edge of the roof. "I've got him right where I want him."

He elbowed him to the side of the jaw keeping him on his backward decline. The opportunity had finally risen. Makoto leaped forward with a clean kick to his chest plate, sending him flying off the side. He tried to grab his cape but missed, feeling a cold emptiness come over him.

"That wasn't supposed to happen." Makoto said racing toward the ledge.

He looked down below to the streets, there was no sign of him, where had he gone?

"Boo."

Makoto spun around to see the grin on his face. Stunned within the moment, he was kicked from the roof himself, feeling the air glide through his hair the whole way down.

It didn't take long for the airway in his lungs to clear, standing to his feet on the rooftop they found themselves upon.

"What kind of smoke bombs did you unleash back there," Heiji asked bringing a hand to his still burning eyes. "Don't see why you didn't just leave me behind, those guys were taking off anyway."

"The police were coming, didn't want you to have to get questioned about the whole thing," Nightwing replied. "Besides, I'm almost positive Freil and his business buddy had no plans on sticking around either."

"What were those gunmen doing there anyway?"

"An obvious hit, I doubt they came to steal a platter of donuts," Dick said. "Tossed a tracer on one of their trucks on the way in."

"Nice going Grayson, now we'll be able to track them," Heiji commented. "What about Freil, who knows when they'll reschedule their little meeting to give us a chance at exposing them."

"Who knows, but I did manage to get a shot of the paper work Freil was looking over," Nightwing informed pointing to a mini wrist camera. "Slid this on earlier, looks like it came in handy."

"I'd say so."

"I'll analyze the footage a little later," Nightwing said. "But first I think we should give Tim a call, I'm sure he'd like an update."

"Already ahead of you," Heiji said reaching into his pocket. "I'll tell him everything he needs to know."

Things didn't happen as he'd planned, closing his eyes at the sight of the sidewalk just a couple yards away. He gasped out, feeling something wrap aroud his left ankle which caused him to stop in mid air. It took him a few seconds to realize he was being reeled back to the roof, looking into his eyes once in view.

"I see you're not much of a free faller." Red Robin said keeping a grip to the hook line.

"You kept me from reaching the roadway, why?" Makoto asked.

"Not to beat on the same door we've been through already," Red Robin replied. "But we're on the same side."

"How do I know that for sure?"

"Well for one, I stopped you from hitting turf," Red Robin began. "And two, I could still drop you if I wanted."

He hung in place for a few seconds longer, paying some mind to the situation as a whole. What he had said made sense, if he truly wasn't on his side he could have let him fall to his death.

"So what do you say," Red Robin asked in a calming matter. "Is it possible for us to see eye to eye?"

Makoto gave it one last thought, nodding in return. He pulled him back onto the roof, both men looking at the other for the first passing seconds.

"Who are you exactly?" Makoto asked.

"Red Robin."

"I know that," Makoto stated. "I was referring more on the lines of what you do."

"That's a complex question, something I don't have much time to answer," Red Robin said. "Finding out what happened to this woman is my main concern."

"Is this the way you found her." Makoto asked as the two approached the body.

He nodded in response, kneeling down to further examine the body. There was a red mark upon her upper right shoulder, something he had not taken notice of earlier. Sitting a few feet away laid a phone, Red Robin reaching over to see who her last call was to.

"She tried reaching the police before her death, that means they could be here any minute now," Red Robin thought. "And what about that mark on her shoulder, how did that get there?"

Makoto stood at the side of him, tapping his left shoulder to gain his attention.

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"You said something about someone else being up here with her," Red Robin said. "Could you give me a description of what they looked like?"

"Of course," Makoto replied recalling what he saw. "She had short black hair, wearing some stylish green dress with a pair of tan high heels."

"Nice color configuration," Red Robin side commented. "What about her eyes, did you get a good look at them?"

"Wasn't really paying attention to that," Makoto admitted. "But if memory serves, I'd say she had dark brown eyes."

"Typical enough." Red Robin thought.

He stood back to his feet, looking downward as he walked from one end of the roof to the other. This was repeated an additional two times. Makoto didn't know what to think of this, waiting for him to finish whatever it was he was doing.

"Kyogoku, did you happen to see if she was carrying anything," Red Robin asked. "A purse perhaps?"

"As a matter a fact she did," Makoto confirmed. "Looked pretty pricey."

"Looks like it's missing," Red Robin pointed out. "Whoever took it must have yanked it from her, that would explain the bruise on her shoulder."

"What is it you were looking for on the ground?"

"Anything that may have evaded to any kind of scuffle," Red Robin replied. "There's also a pair of stairs connected to the left side of the wall, the other woman you mentioned must have used them to leave."

"You think she did it?"

"Can't be to sure," Red Robin answered. "There's still too many unanswered questions regarding this whole ordeal."

He took to a knee once more, giving the body another look. There had to be something that could shed light on what had happened, finding just that could be key.

"Then there's the gun shots I heard, yet there's no bullets here whatsoever."

He then looked at the surrounding buildings. Had the shooting taken place elsewhere? It was something that was left unanswered for the time being, hearing the ring of the codec in his ear as he stood back up.

"Hold on, this'll only take a second."

Makoto gave him his space, taking a few steps back.

"How'd it go?"

"A little good, and some unexpected," Nightwing replied. "You didn't answer your phone when Heiji called, where are you?"

"Running a little investigation," Red Robin said. "I guess you could say I've run into the unexpected myself."

"I'm just about to chase down a couple runaways," Nightwing informed. "There's no telling how many may be at their base, how soon until you can join me?"

"Don't know, I've hit somewhat of a roadblock," Red Robin replied. "On another note, what were the two of you able to find out about Freil's meeting?"

"They didn't say anything, but they were going over some papers," Nightwing informed. "Some kind of demography, with the top of the page reading Royal Mountain."

"Royal Mountain," Red Robin questioned. "Do you have any idea what that is?"

"Nope, haven't looked into it yet," Nightwing said. "I will as soon as I take care of business here, call if you need anything."

"Gotcha."

"Nightwing out."

He took a couple seconds to stand there and sort his thoughts, looking back to face him after doing so.

"Who was that?"

"A friend."

"Not that I was trying to listen in or anything, but I heard you mention Royal Mountain."

"That's correct," Red Robin said. "Would you happen to know what it is?"

"Of course, I've been there several times," Makoto said. "It's only about eight miles east from here."

"Is that so?"

"What business do you have there?"

"Don't know... yet," Red Robin replied. "I have to go, but the police should be here anytime now."

"The police?"

"Before her death she managed to call them," Red Robin informed. "I want you to stay here and point out the things I was able to find."

"And what about you?" Makoto asked with the cross of his arms.

"I'm going to head to Royal Mountain," Red Robin replied. "Lets just say it's a place of interest."

"Then I'm going with you."

"No, you're not," Red Robin rejected. "You're going to stay here and wait for the police to arrive."

"Royal Mountain is a sacred place, they don't allow outsiders to enter very often," Makoto informed. "Besides you'd need security clearance to get through the main gate."

"My stealth skills should be more than enough to keep me hidden," Red Robin said. "And I'm sure I can get past any security that may stand in my way."

"No need to waste your time hiding around," Makoto said pulling a key card from his pocket. "When I could get us right through with the slide of a card."

"Why do you care to help so much?"

"Royal Mountain is an important place to me," Makoto replied. "If something is going on, I wanna know about it, besides I know the grounds very well."

There was no reasoning with him, turning away with a deep breath. He then pressed down to his ear piece, ready to set a plan in action.

"Nightwing it's me," Red Robin radioed. "Change in plans."

"What do you mean?"

"I need you to put your little chase on hold," Red Robin replied. "I want you to head back to wherever you've set up shop and clear up those pictures you took."

"Why, did you find something?"

"I'm going to go to Royal Mountain," Red Robin replied. "I need to know what I should be looking for."

"You work quick, not even five minutes later and you know where this place is," Nightwing said. "I'll head back to the hotel right away."

"Keep me updated."

With that he turned back to Makoto.

"You win," Red Robin said. "But we do things my way, understand?"

"Understood." Makoto said with a nod.

"Here's how we're going to do this," Red Robin said. "You're going to go down and catch a cab which will take you to the location, I'll follow you from up above."

"Anything else?"

"That's it for now," Red Robin said. "We'll figure out how everything else will work when we get there."

He had finally went into his room for the night after watching a couple sport highlights, tossing on his night clothes before diving into bed. Conan laid his phone to the side of him, closing his eyes in the following seconds.

"I guess there's no harm in leaving it on," Conan thought. "Maybe he'll decide to finally call back."

Getting back to the hotel didn't take him very long. Sliding the camera device from his wrist, he plugged it into the computer. Heiji stood at his right side, waiting for it to load up. It didn't take very long for it to do so, Nightwing quickly going to work on it through an image program.

"How long do you think it will take for you to fully enhance it?"

"Not long," Nightwing replied. "Not long at all."

"So Drake's already on his way to this place," Heiji questioned. "Did he tell you how he found the location?"

"Nope," Nightwing said. "But he knows what he's doing, he'll be fine."

"Does he know what he's looking for?"

"Not yet, that's for us to find out."

"I see," Heiji said. "Guess that answers that."

It had been a long forty minutes, the cab finally coming to a stop once reaching a small bridge.

"This will be far enough."

He exited from the cab, closing the door behind. The water below the bridge sparkled from the presence of the moon, calmly drifting along down stream in an endless cycle. He could hear him drop down from behind, continuing to move forward.

"We walk from here."

"How much further?" Red Robin asked.

"About a ten minute walk," Makoto replied. "We should be there shortly."

It was dark, only that of the moon lighting their way. They followed along a dirt road, accompanied by the many tree's and bushes that surround them. The more they walked the more they found their minds rested, hearing the chirping of the crickets in the near distance.

"You're so quiet," Red Robin said. "Did something happen on the ride here?"

"You wouldn't understand."

"A woman?"

"Surprised you were able to figure."

"You're right," Red Robin said. "That's one complicated subject I can't seem to wrap my finger around."

It finally came into view, standing high above all the trees. He followed close behind as they pushed through a few bushes, gazing up at the three large temples which patrolled the sky.

"We're here." Makoto said as they neared the gate.

"Now I see why they call this place Royal Mountain," Red Robin said. "From afar you could mistake these structures as a pair of mountains, especially at this time of night."

Makoto pulled the card key from his pocket after reaching the gate, sliding it downward to get a security clearance.

"There's no lights on," Makoto said looking over at the temples. "It's not like that for the Grandmaster to close up so early."

"Grandmaster huh, what is this place exactly?"

"A place of reckoning and soul searching," Makoto replied. "Sensei Karu is one of the most gifted martial artists I've ever been able to train under."

"We'll wait here a little longer," Red Robin said. "I still need to hold off until I know what we're looking for."

With every passing second, the image became sharper and more clear then it had. He snapped his finger after completing the enhancements, thrilled to have everything laid out.

"So what's it say?" Heiji asked coming at his side.

"They're readings to something," Nightwing replied. "Readings to some kind of diamond."

"You think this diamond is at the Royal Mountain somewhere." Heiji asked coming in closer.

"It must be," Nightwing replied. "Which means we know what Tim should be looking for."

"Time to call it in."

Makoto waited at the side as Red Robin finished up yet another conversation. No light in the temple bothered him, Karu usually always left a light on come night.

"Looks like we know what to look for," Red Robin said. "Would you happen to know where they'd keep jewels, or any valuables?"

"That would be to the first temple, second floor," Makoto replied. "What is it you hope to find?"

"A rare diamond, I'll know when I see it."

"Follow me," Makoto said. "I'll take you to the gallery."

They walked through the short cut grass, entering the temple at the far left. It was pitch dark once in, Red Robin pulling a flash light from his belt to guide the way. There was a purple carpet laid out to the ground, passing by many artistic features that sat pinned across the wall. Most were paintings, few being that of mounted in weaponry. This same trend stayed consistent all the way onto the second floor. They knew right away something was wrong once reaching the room, looking to see much scattered around the ground.

"What happened here?" Red Robin questioned.

The sound of shallow breaths could be heard in the darkness of the room, flashing his light to the center of the floor to see a man laying on his back.

"Grandmaster," Makoto called out running to his side. "What happened?"

His eyes opened at the sound of his voice.

"Makoto.." He weakling spoke. "You're here."

"Who did this?"

"They came for.. for Gueto."

"Gueto," Makoto question. "Sansei, who is Gueto?"

He slowly reached from his side, placing a shinning diamond into his hand.

"Take it," Karu said with the close of his eyes. "It's in your hands now."

A long moment of silence went by, Red Robin coming to his side.

"Is he...?"

"No, just unconscious," Makoto replied. "What do you think he was talking about?"

"I'd say it had something to do with them." Red Robin said flashing his light to reveal three laying bodies. "I'm betting those guys came to steal that diamond, looks like your Grandmaster got the better of them."

Makoto stood back up, not sure what to think on the matter. Everything was happening so fast.

"Here," Red Robin said holding his hand out. "Give me the diamond, I promise I'll return it as soon as this is all over."

"What makes you think something's going on?"

"They attacked your sensei," Red Robin stated. "Who's to say there aren't more to come?"

Makoto took a few seconds to take his words in, deciding to hand him the diamond. Tim slid it into an empty slot in his belt, hearing the codec ring in his ear once more.

"What's going on?"

"It's me, Heiji."

"I thought Nightwing would be the one to call."

"He's already on his way there."

"Why," Red Robin asked. "I already have what we need."

"Those guys back at the donut shop, well there kinda heading your way." Heiji informed.

"How do you know that?"

"Dick placed a tracer on one of their trucks, remember?"

"Red Robin I think you better come have a look." Makoto said looking out of one of the windows.

He made his way to the window as well, watching as three large trucks parked to the front of the temple they stood in.

"Who are these guys?"

"My bet, they're here for that diamond," Red Robin replied. "The Gueto."

They continued to look on, seeing them load up on ammunition as they headed in.

"We're screwed."

"Royally." Red Robin added.

He spun away from the window side, thinking up a plan. He shot a small device onto one of the walls, making his first move for their escape. Waiting for Nightwing was not an option, for they had no idea how long it'd take for him to arrive.

"Time to make the call, Kudo might just be our way out."

To Be Continued

LeonardoTMNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LeonardoTMNT

The Detective Prince

Chapter 42

The Unexpected

All was rested on the mind, drifting away into a deep sleep with each passing second. It ringed clear to his ear, startling him ever so slightly. He tiresly looked to his side, reaching over and grabbing the phone while rolling onto his back.

"Hello." Conan softly spoke.

"Thank goodness you answered, I have a favor to ask."

"Tim, is that you," Conan asked sitting up in bed. "Why did your number ring up as unknown?"

"Never mind that," Red Robin said. "Where are you now?"

"Trying to get some sleep," Conan replied with a yawn. "What took you so long to call anyway?"

"Been busy."

"How's Sonoko doing?" Conan asked with a tone change in his voice.

"I don't even have time to go there," Red Robin said. "What I need is for you to head to the base, I'm in a bit of a situation."

"How does me going to the base help you?"

"Just do it, times running short."

"Sounds like you've really put yourself in a hole this time," Conan said removing the sheets from over himself. "I'm on my way now."

He dropped down from the bed, finding a pair of clothes to slip into before opening the door. All the lights were off in the next room, the TV being the only source of light.

"We have a little problem." Conan whispered.

"What's wrong?"

"Ran hasn't gone to her room yet." Conan replied.

"Is she awake?"

Conan gave her a long hard look, watching as her head slightly repositioned from where it lay to the table.

"I'd say she's half way out." Conan finally answered.

"Good, you should be able to sneak right past."

"What if she wakes up?" Conan questioned.

"Then shoot her with your stun gun," Red Robin replied. "That will assure she stays put."

"Are you insane?" Conan said raising his voice just a tad.

"Relax, I was only kidding," Red Robin said laughingly. "Call me back when you get there, gotta go."

"That was not funny." Conan said ending the transition.

With that he put the phone into his pocket, quietly making his way toward the front door. He stopped at the sudden shift of her left hand, waiting a few extra before continuing on. Once clear he slowly turned the knob to the door, taking a deep breath as he stepped out in success.

"That was close," Conan said closing the door behind. "I thought for sure she was going to awake."

He paced himself on the way down the stairs, not wanting to alarm anyone of his departure.

The sound of the doors plowing open to the floor below could be heard, the two of them knowing they were coming their way.

"Who was that you were talking with?"

"Another friend," Red Robin replied. "We don't have much time, is there another way out besides back tracking from where we came?"

"Each temple has a few hidden rooms, but I'm afraid I can't pin point any of them," Makoto replied. "That was something Sensei Karu always kept to himself."

"Guess that leaves us with only one way out."

There was nowhere to hide, and running up to the next floor would only delay what they knew what they had to do.

"Are you ready?"

"Let's make this quick." Red Robin replied pulling out his staff.

The sound of them running got louder with each passing second, both standing ready as the armed men came barging into the room. They all were dressed in casual clothing, each carrying a different type of firearm.

"Looks like we've got ourselves a little company." One of them said flashing a light over.

"This must be the Grandmaster we heard so much about," Another said pointing a gun his way. "All that karate stuff don't mean nothing, if you can't dodge a bullet."

Confused by their statement, Makoto looked at his side to find Red Robin was nowhere to be seen.

"Whatever he's planning, he better make it quick."

"So what do you say," He remarked approaching with his finger to the trigger. "Think you can dodge a bullet."

"What do you think?" Makoto asked playing along.

"I think if you don't hand over the Gueto we're going to have test that out."

"Never heard of it."

"So now you want to play the smart guy, bad move," He said pointing the gun at his head. "Wanna try again?"

Makoto responded using his instincts, knocking the weapon from his hand while flipping him to the ground. This was the perfect opportunity, the moment. He dropped down from the ceiling with the toss of a few birdrangs, knocking away a few of their weapons.

"Fire!"

Makoto and Red Robin both jumped to separate sides of the room, figuring out what their next move was going to be.

"Five of them are still armed, gotta take them down before the others can get back to their weapons."

He leaped forward with the extention of his staff, Makoto with a fast approach on the other side to keep their eyes busy at who to choose. This resulted in slight hesitation, working into their advantage. Makoto landed a cold strike to the neck, glimpsing over at Red Robin who took two more down with a powerful spinning jump kick.

"Enough, kill the masked man first then we'll worry about the..!" He yelled receiving a smashing blow to the skull.

Red Robin then swung his staff just past Makoto's face, knocking two more of the gunmen to the ground.

"Move, now!" Red Robin instructed throwing a smoke bomb toward the ground.

Makoto followed close at his side, the two of them taking this time to head to the next floor. Neither looked back as they made their way up, already planning their next move.

"Why are we running," Makoto questioned. "We had the advantage."

"Three of them got ahold of their guns, don't think I could have disarmed them quick enough," Red Robin stated. "And with you not having any kind of protective armor I didn't want to risk it."

They came to a stop once reaching the next room, tightly closing and locking the door.

"That should slow them down."

"But for how long?" Makoto questioned.

The two of them jumped, startled at the sound of something crashing through the window from behind. They turned around to see him flip to his feet.

"Air glider, never leave home without it."

"Nightwing," Red Robin said pleased to see him. "Didn't expect you to arrive so fast."

"Have I missed anything," Nightwing asked walking over. "And who is this with you, I thought you were alone."

"His names Makoto Kyogoku," Red Robin replied. "A very formidable martial artists."

"So I take it you two know each other." Makoto said looking from one to the other.

A loud slam could be heard from the other side of the door, followed by another.

"Looks like they're back for more." Red Robin said.

"How many are we talking?" Nightwing asked.

"There was eleven when we began," Makoto informed. "Red Robin and I were able to take a few of them down, there's no telling how many of them are still active."

"Let's keep moving," Red Robin said. "We still have to buy a little more time."

"You have a plan?" Nightwing asked.

"Kind of," Red Robin replied directing his attention to Makoto. "How many more floors until we reach the top?"

"Exactly two more."

"Then let's hurry, I don't think that doors going to hold up much longer."

Once again they ran to the next floor, locking it on their way to the final level. The last room was different than the others, several weapons could be found strapped across the wall. This ranged from swords to unique designed shurikens. Most decorating of all was the painting of the sky that filled the ceiling.

"Where are we?" Nightwing questioned.

"The armory," Makoto replied grabbing hold of a table next to the wall. "Help me lift this to put over the door."

"Good idea, that should buy us a little extra needed time." Nightwing said in compliance.

With the strength of the two of them combined, they stashed the table in front of the door, taking a step back after it was securely in place. They could hear them bagging on the door on the floor below, time running short with each passing second.

"So what's the plan?" Nightwing asked looking at Red Robin who leaned up against wall.

He didn't reply, keeping his sights set to the ground. Makoto and Nightwing looked at one another, a little taken back by this.

"I thought you said you had a plan."

"I do," Red Robin said. "I'm just waiting for the call."

"What call," Nightwing questioned. "We don't have time to just sit around."

"Trust me," Red Robin said. "If all goes well we'll have all that we need to take control of the situation."

"How do we know that?" Makoto asked.

"I planted a little something to one of the walls on the second floor," Red Robin replied. "It's signal is linked to my computer."

"How does that help us," Makoto asked. "Your computer isn't even here."

"Kudo better hurry, the times ticking."

The sound of them breaking into the room below could be heard, listening on as they trotted along up the stairs.

"We're down to our last line of defense," Nightwing said. "I think it's time we had a change in strategy."

"What did you have in mind?" Makoto asked.

"I'm still working on that." Nightwing replied looking around the room.

Whatever they were to do had to be fast, they were closing in with every moment that past. The standing armor in the back corner of the room caught his attention. Could it be used as a distraction? It sparked much tension in the room, the sound of them hitting to the other side of the door.

"Whatever it is you have planned, nows the time to let us in on it," Makoto said. "They're here."

All it took was a few good hits, plowing the door open with the use of their weapons. They kicked the table to the side while entering the room, the shadowed figure being the first thing coming to their attention.

"There he is!"

They opened fire on the spot, only taking them a few seconds to realize what they were shooting at.

"It's a decoy," One said looking to the falling armor.

"And to think you fellas fell for it." Nightwing said jumping down to trip two of them to the ground.

"Who's this guy, I thought there was only two of them!"

"No matter," Another said. "They will all share the same fate."

Makoto yanked a boomerang from the wall from where he stood, slinging it over to successfully disarm three men. Red Robin finished up the assault by whacking the three of them to the ground.

"That leaves five more."

"Kyogoku think fast." Nightwing said tossing something his way.

Makoto caught it into his hand, watching as a gas surfaced in the following seconds. He placed the mask onto his face to keep from breathing in whatever was in the air, watching as Nightwing and Red Robin finished off the remaining gunmen. It didn't take long for the gas to clear the room, the three of them removing the gas masks.

"What was that?" Makoto asked.

"Tear gas," Nightwing replied. "I'd say it did the trick."

The sound of something driving near could be heard from outside the window. Curious to see what it was, the three walked over to have a look.

"Looks like we have some more company." Makoto said.

"And they're driving the same types of trucks as the other guys did." Red Robin added.

"Four trucks in all," Nightwing said counting them off. "There's no telling how many of them there are."

"Makes you wonder what's so important about that diamond." Makoto said.

It couldn't have happened at a more opportune time, hearing the codec ring in his cowl.

"Good timing, didn't expect you there so quick."

"I used my turbo enhanced skateboard," Conan informed. "What is it you wanted me to do?"

"Are you on the computer?"

"Can't get in," Conan said. "It requires a password."

"You already know the password."

"No I don't."

"Oh yes you do."

A few seconds was all that it took, remembering exactly what it was.

"Ok, I'm in," Conan said. "Now what?"

"There should be an alert on the side of the screen," Red Robin said. "I need you to click on it."

Conan did as instructed, watching as a layout of some kind came onto the screen.

"What is this?"

"The red dot you can see is me," Red Robin said. "We're in a bit of a situation."

"What do you want me to do?"

"We need another way out," Red Robin informed. "Makoto said this place has a few hidden rooms, is there possibly one nearby?"

"Makoto," Conan question. "You mean to tell me you're with Makoto Kyogoku?"

"It's a long story."

He took a few moments to make sense of it all, this wasn't a type of blueprint he was used to dealing with.

"Try pushing down on the wall to the left of you," Conan said. "From the readings I'm getting it looks like it's hallow, a little passage way which should take you to the roof."

"Thanks Shinichi, we'll give it a go."

Once finished he looked back at the others who still had their sights set out the window. He made his way over to see what the situation was, glimpsing down to see the newcomers loading up on ammunition.

"There's thirty in all." Nightwing informed.

"Good thing is we don't have to engage them," Red Robin said. "If we head to the roof we could make our way to the top of one of the other temples."

"This window is much to small," Makoto said. "How do you propose we get to the roof from here?"

"Through that wall." Red Robin pointed.

It streamed loud from the distance, the three of them ducking down at the sound of shots being fired.

"You think they saw us?" Makoto asked.

"Not sure," Nightwing replied. "Sounded like the shots were fired from a good distance away."

Everything became dead silent after several rounds were fired, the three of them slowly peaking up to have a look. What they saw left them stunned, the bodies of all thirty men laid out to the ground, motionless. They couldn't find words to express what to feel, Red Robin catching sight of someone kneeling on a large hill afar. Using his cowl he zoomed in, receiving a thumbs up by the shooter who held the rifle tightly at his side.

"No... it can't be."

"What's wrong?" Nightwing asked noticing the disturbance on his face.

"It was him," Red Robin said looking directly into his eyes. "It was Deadshot."

"Deadshot," Nightwing questioned looking to the far distance. "..I don't see anyone."

Red Robin brought his attention back to the hill as well, he was gone. A small emptiness came over him, feeling as if it had all been some kind of allusion. And just like so many other nights, more questions were left than answers. What was so important about the diamond? Why had Deadshot killed those men, was it in attempt to aid them?

"What happens from here?" Makoto asked.

"You stay here and call the police," Nightwing replied. "I think they better come down and have a look at all of this."

"Of course."

"When they arrive just tell them you came across this whole mess," Nightwing said. "The truth might be a little too much for them to handle at this point."

"What about the two of you?"

"The night's young, and we still have a lot of work to do," Nightwing replied. "We'll be sure to find you if we need anything."

Makoto nodded, standing aside as the two made their way out. He took a step forward, something that had been on his mind since the journey here.

"Wait, back there you didn't give it your all, did you?"

He stopped in his tracks, looking back at him for a last time.

"What do you mean?"

"Back on the roof," Makoto continued. "You weren't trying against me."

"Of course not," Red Robin said with a smile. "We're on the same side."

"I want you to promise me two things." Makoto said.

"And what might that be?"

"That diamond given to you is important to my Sensei, be sure you take good care of it,"

"Like I said before, I'll have it back to you as soon as this is all over."

"And next time we meet... don't hold back."

Red Robin nodded.

"I'll give you my best," Red Robin said turning to walk once more. "Until then, Kyogoku."

He had done just as planned, telling the police what he had come upon arriving to Royal Mountain. It was the story to the front page that next morning, most news channels covering it as well. They had accomplished what they had set out to do, meeting at the forest like they had the previous day.

"Glad I was able to help."

"And we were happy to have your assistance Heiji." Dick said in response.

"The train back to Tokyo leaves in about an hour," Tim said looking at his watch. "What of yours?"

"Don't have to head to the station for at least for another two," Heiji replied. "The train to Osaka doesn't depart until four."

"Hopefully we'll see you again, and soon." Dick said.

"You can count on it," Heiji said. "Give everyone my best."

"We will," Tim said. "You be sure to do the same."

With that they parted ways. They made it to the train station within the next thirty, Dick tapping him on the shoulder as they made their way down to the waiting area.

"It's going to be a long ride back, that should give us plenty of time to really catch up on some things."

"Is this before or after I'm done getting scolded?" Tim asked.

"What are you talking about," Dick asked with a laugh. "Why would I scold you?"

"I wasn't referring to you."

They touched down from the last step, everything becoming clear after seeing her sitting to one of the benches. She immediately noticed them, glaring as they approached.

"Oh I see," Dick said giving him a nudge. "Isn't that, that girl you have a few classes with?"

"Yep."

"Didn't know you brought her along," Dick said. "She looks peeved, did you do something to make her angry?"

"Yep."

Not another word was spoken, bracing himself for what she was going to say.

"So this is why you didn't show up last night," Sonoko said standing up to him. "You have a good time with big brother?"

"Look, I'm sorry," Tim explained. "The meeting turned out to be a lot longer than I thought."

"Why do I get the feeling there was no meeting," Sonoko questioned while looking to Dick. "Were you there as well?"

"I had no knowledge of any kind of meeting." Dick replied not wanting to get involved.

Tim gulped, knowing this wasn't going to end well. She continued to mouth him off all the way up until they boarded, Tim taking a seat to the far back just like any other time. Dick sat directly across, reading the paper he had received earlier that morning.

"And to make matters worse, Makoto had to leave the party to attend a meeting as well," Sonoko ravaged on. "What's up with you boys and your meetings anyway, I swear that trend of excuse has risen in the past month."

"I'm sure it was important," Tim said. "Kyogoku not the kind of guy who just leaves unless it's important."

"Or it's the fact he's been talking with you too much," Sonoko declared. "Who's to say the two of you didn't go out for a little guy time?"

"We'd never do that." Tim said.

"I'm done talking with you on the matter," Sonoko said turning away. "I'll just sit with him, he couldn't possibly be as annoying as you."

Dick kept steady from where he sat, keeping his eyes focused on the paper with a flip of the page. Sonoko sat at the seat directly next to him, doing the best she could to calm her nerves.

"Hope you don't mind a little company."

"Not at all," Dick said looking up from the paper. "Sorry about Tim giving you such a hard time, he has a hard time communicating with others in certain situations."

"Why's that?"

"Good question," Dick said. "But let's not talk about that."

"Ok, then what would you like to talk about?"

"How about you," Dick said. "Why don't you tell me a little about yourself, what do you like to do?"

He could hear the mention of his name from time to time as they talked, slouching back into his seat with the shake of his head.

"Why is it I'm always made out to be the bad guy?" Tim thought with the close of his eyes.

The train took off shortly after. He listened to the wheels pouncing down on the track, feeling himself fading throughout the hour. He had kept to himself for most of the ride, occasionally glimpsing out the window to view the scenery. They arrived back in Tokyo hours later, finding the sky to be darkened by the clouds that populated it. He had managed to slip away as they talked without either noticing, locating a bus stop which happened to be across the street from where he was.

"I might get an ear full later for doing this, but I think I've had enough excitement for one trip."

He remained silent throughout the bus ride, reaching his destination after a good twenty minutes. The clouds continued to darken as he walked through the forest, stopping once coming upon the hidden base to the ground. He jumped in with the top closing overhead, walking over with the entrance door sliding open.

"What are you doing here?" Tim asked in surprise.

Conan laid back in the chair with his hands rested behind his head, a striking proud look on his face.

"Oh hey Tim," Conan said looking his way. "Didn't expect you here so quick, thought you'd go to your apartment first."

"That did cross my mind, but decided to come here first," Tim said. "I assume Heiji called and told you I was on my way back, but what are you doing here?"

"Playing a little online chess." Conan said with a sinister look and rub of his hands.

"Ok, now that was just creepy," Tim said coming to his side. "Who are you playing anyway?"

"Someone challenged me from your friends list," Conan informed. "I've won three straight, and it's about to be four... he has no way out."

They waited for the next move to be made, each second more intense then the last. An instant message appeared to the screen, Both looking at what it said. "get a life outside the comp, u cheating spiky haired hacking no good geeking newb." With that the username dropped from the side of the screen. Conan crossed his arms with Tim laughing out to the side of him.

"What a sore loser," Conan pouted. "And to top it off, I don't even get my well earned points."

"At least you didn't lose," Tim said continuing to laugh. "I wouldn't have heard the end of it."

"Who was it I was playing?" Conan asked.

"A really good friend of mine, Bart Allen," Tim replied. "He probably thought you were me."

"I see he's not much of a fan when it comes to losing," Conan said. "But then who is?"

"Good point," Tim said. "I'm pretty sure you didn't come looking for a game of chess, so what brought you here?"

Conan leaned up in the seat, tossing an article in the paper up to him. Tim gave it a quick read, looking down at Conan once finished.

"The city plans to auction off a rare black pearl, what does this have to do with anything?"

"Nakamori Ginzo has been present up at the station for the past few day." Conan informed.

"Nakamori..," Tim questioned. "I've heard that name somewhere."

"Of course you have, that's Aoko's last name," Conan reminded. "And Ginzo is her father, who just happens to be one of the top guys trying to trap and capture Kaitou Kid."

"I see," Tim said. "So you think this whole pearl bit is to try and spring him out?"

"Not just him, but probably you as well," Conan said. "With the speculation of you two working together it's not to far fetched that they may be hoping to catch you both."

"Two birds with one stone."

"You'd better let Dick know as well, I'm almost positive they have increased security throughout the city."

"Nice little deduction Shinichi, I'm impressed," Tim complimented. "Speaking of which, I'm due to have another meeting with Megure pretty soon here."

"Not to turn gears or anything, but I'm still wondering about your trip to Fukuoka," Conan said. "I had no idea Makoto was going to be there."

"It's a long story."

"Does he know you and Red Robin are one in the same?"

"No, he has no knowledge of that," Tim replied. "Believe it or not, teaming with Kyogoku wasn't the most surprising thing to occur."

"Can't wait to hear this."

"Deadshot was there," Tim informed. "He killed a group of men we got in a little scuffle with."

"You mean at the Royal Mountain," Conan asked flipping through the paper once more. "I read about it this morning, so he was the one to kill those thirty men?"

"That right, but how he was able to find us and why he helped is still a mystery in itself."

Conan dropped down, kicking the soccer ball that lay to the side of the chair into his arms.

"Where's Dick," Conan asked. "I thought he'd be with you."

"Let's just say he was a little occupied when we arrived back," Tim replied. "I'm sure we'll see him tomorrow some time."

"Occupied, what do you mean?"

"We'll save that for another time," Tim said patting him on the shoulder. "I have some things I need to do, but we'll hook up some time tomorrow."

He nodded, heading for the exit while balancing the ball from one foot to the other. It came storming back to him, remembering a certain suggestion he had to make.

"Oh, and Tim," Conan said turning back. "One last thing."

"What is it?"

"About that password... you really need to change it."

"Is that all?"

"No other complaints." Conan replied.

"I'll keep that in mind."

Conan smiled at this, walking out while continuing to juggle the ball through the air.

"I love that password."

To Be Continued