Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LeonardoTMNT

Lightest of Nights: A Deck of Minds

Chapter 17

Meet the Contestants

Time counted down as Haibara attempted to contact Conan for a third time within the last minute. "Dammit," Haibara cursed under her breath.

Hiroshi stood a short distance behind. He could see the disappointment in her posture alone. "No luck?"

Haibara nodded. "I can't get through to him." Turning around she looked up. "I don't have a good feeling about this. What if something has happened to him? It's not like Edogawa-kun not to answer."

Uproar in activity was heard in those next moments. "What do you mean we don't have any service?!" shouted Jirokichi from across the room.

This gathered immediate attention from Haibara who looked over to find Mr. Suzuki talking to a group of security guards. "What's going on?" Haibara wondered.

"It is as I said, we have no service right now," one of the guards responded. "All electrical communication has been cut within the building. We're looking into the matter now. Rest assured, we will get to the bottom of this."

"You better make it quick! I want immediate pursuit of Kid who is now traveling in the direction of," Jirokichi began as he looked to the tracking device in hand. His heart nearly skipped a beat at what he saw. "No, it can't be!"

"What's wrong?"

"The signal, it.. it's gone!" Jirokichi was infuriated. "No way Kid could have discovered the tracer so SOON!"

Haibara watched from a close distance away. A smile found way after hearing his words. "It would seem Edogawa-kun has disabled the tracer."

"Looks like we have an answer for why we haven't been able to get in touch with Shinichi," Hiroshi said looking down at his phone which he held in hand. "But what could have caused the jam in service? This almost seems too convenient."

"It does," agreed Haibara.

"Do you believe Kid is behind this?"

"I do not," replied Haibara. "I don't see what Kaitou Kid would have to gain from something like this if he has already escaped."

"Then if Kid is not the cause.. then what?"

….

Batman looked directly into the eyes of the renowned detective. "His name is Edward Nigma, though he is widely known as The Riddler."

"The Riddler." Kogoro paused upon hearing the name. "I've heard of him. Isn't he that criminal who takes pleasure in leaving riddles behind after departing a crime scene?"

"He is the one who has your daughter."

"But why? What could he possibly want with me?"

"The Riddler seeks one thing, and one thing only," Batman said as he looked to the sky. "And that is to prove that he is the greatest master mind in the world."

"And how does kidnapping my daughter help to prove any of that?"

Batman looked down at him. "Don't you get it? Nigma's game began the moment he stepped into your office. He was testing you detective," Batman explained. "Taking your daughter is only a means to raise the stakes, all while forcing you into a corner. Riddler wants you at your most desperate, pressing to see if you will break under his control."

"To test me?" Kogoro questioned. "Test me for what?"

"To heighten his own limitations, as well as proving not only to himself but to the world he is the greatest master mind of all," Batman replied. "Through his eyes you and Kaitou Kid both threaten that very thing."

"It's all starting to make sense," Kaitou Kid said. "You seem to be very knowledgeable about the Riddler Mr. Batman."

"Our paths have crossed more times than I have bothered to count," Batman acknowledged.

"You said that the Riddler wants to prove to the world that he is top game," Kaitou Kid said. "How does he plan on doing that exactly? It's not like he has an audience."

Batman chose not to respond, knowing full aware whatever the Riddler was planning had yet to truly begin. The only question, what?

"So, how are we supposed to find where he has taken Ran?" Kogoro questioned.

Batman faced him. "There is no we. I will pursue the Riddler alone," Batman stated.

"The Riddler wants us," Kaitou Kid said quick to remind.

"Further reason for you two to remain here, bringing either of you along would only put you at risk." Batman's mind was made on the matter.

"You can't just leave us here tied up like this!" Kogoro yelled.

"I can, and I will." Batman then turned focus back to the phone that was in his possession. "Nigma called once and sent two text messages to Ran Mouri's phone, all which came from the same number."

Batman then made a move away from the pair who were still tied to one another.

"Hey, where are you going?" Kogoro asked.

Once Batman was at a distance where he believed neither could no longer hear he stopped. "Alfred it's me," Batman radioed.

"I take it your travels have been a success thus far?" Alfred said in return.

"There is something I need you to look into. I have number I believe the Riddler called from to the phone I'm holding now, I want you to try and track the location of the phone Riddler used," Batman explained.

"The Riddler?" Alfred was surprised to hear the name. "I would have never imagined he would have gotten caught up in that Kaitou Kid chase of yours."

"It's complicated," Batman put in short. "I'm sending all necessary information to you now."

Communication ended between the two for the time being. This left Batman to think about everything he had gathered leading to this point. Of everything he had learned there was still something that bothered him. The Treble. Kogoro Mouri and Kaitou Kid only amounted to two, so who was the third?

"Who is it Nigma.. who else do you have your eyes set on?"

This thought carried through his mind for the next minute. When he least expected it a ring came to his ear. "Alfred?"

"I have pin pointed the location of the phone with the number you sent to me," Alfred informed. "I'm forwarding the location of the phone to you now sir."

Batman's eyes dropped to the device around his left forearm. "It's located about eight minutes away from where I am now," Batman realized.

"A welcomed convenience," said Alfred. "If you need anything else don't hesitate to call."

"I will. Batman out."

Ending the transmission Batman made his way back over to Kaitou and Kogoro who anxiously awaited his return.

"I see you haven't forgotten about us," Kaitou Kid remarked.

"I've determined the location of the phone from which the Riddler called your daughter from earlier today," Batman conveyed to Kogoro.

There was now a sense of hope to be seen within Kogoro's eyes. "You know where she is?!"

"I won't know until I get there," Batman replied before turning for the edge of the building. "You two will remain here. I will return when I can."

Batman took all but two steps before Kaitou Kid spoke again. "What makes you think this rope of yours will hold me for long?"

"You're free to try and break free," Batman replied. In short time he found way to the end of the building. He looked up, taking note of the number of helicopters that now patrolled the area. "From here I'll have to move with caution." With nothing more Batman jumped, gliding into the night.

….

Everything was going smoother than he could have hoped. Conan now soared down the sidewalk on his board, mindful of others as he weaved his way along. After reaching the end of the block he stopped, looking down at his watch. "I have nine minutes before the time he said we would meet. I need to hurry back to the Midtown Tower."

Once the road was clear of any ongoing traffic Conan rushed to the other side. He was becoming anxious by the second, knowing that every minute that passed Ran's fate hanged in the balance. In the moments that followed Conan caught eye of someone who he was not expecting to see.

"It's Officer Sato." Conan then noticed the building she had walked out from. "Fun Entertainment Incorporation.. what would she be doing at a place like that?" Conan wondered.

As Conan neared it didn't take long for Miwako to notice him as well. Conan smiled, waving as he did. "Hi hi!"

"Conan-kun," Miwako said waving back. "I wasn't expecting to see you." She then looked past him as if she was expecting to find someone else.

Conan immediately noticed this. "Is something wrong?"

"It's nothing," Miwako said looking back down at him. "I just wasn't expecting you to be alone, that's all. Usually you're with your friends or Mouri-kun."

"I'm on my way to join them now," Conan said before taking a look back at the building she had just exited. "What were you doing here?"

Miwako looked back at the Fun Entertainment Incorporation building before looking back at him. "I don't know. I thought I was looking for someone." Miwako turned away before gazing up at the sky. "But that someone might just be a ghost."

Confusion came to Conan's face, coming with it, an interest. "A ghost? Ghost's don't exist Officer Sato," Conan laughed in a childlike manner. He was hopeful that he would learn what brought her here, pressing for just that. "Did someone disappear?"

Miwako smiled, closing her eyes for a split second. "Never mind it. This is not something you need to concern yourself with."

Neither said another word for several seconds. Conan's mind quickly reverted back to the mission at hand. Steering once more, he waved to Miwako for a final time as he left. Not long after his departure Wataru walked out from the Fun Entertainment Inc. building himself, stopping only after reaching Miwako's side.

"Was that Conan-kun?" Wataru asked.

"It was," Miwako confirmed.

Silence ensued. "So… what happens now?" Wataru enquired.

"We have our main suspect," Miwako replied. "It is time to file a report."

….

The further he traveled the stronger the signal became. Through it all the identity of the third and final person that the Riddler sought ran through his mind. Who could it be? Above all what was the Riddler's end game? Batman was determined to find out the answer. He leaped to yet another building, looking down at the tracker as he finally came to a stop.

"It's here." He followed the given trail which led him directly to the center of the building. Pulling his arm aside Batman looked to the ground to find what appeared to be a disposable phone. His eyes narrowed at the sight of it. Why here of all places? Before he was able to take any further action, unexpectedly the phone began to ring.

Batman wasted no time in reaching down for the phone, taking the call as he placed the phone to his ear. "Riddle me this, riddle me that," a familiar voice spoke from the other end.

"Nigma.." Batman muttered.

"Morning, day, and night. Tell me Dark Knight, are you able to name three consecutive days without using the words; Sunday, Saturday, Friday, Thursday, Wednesday, Tuesday, or Monday?"

It was at that moment that Batman realized who the final person of the sought treble was, it was himself. But how could the Riddler have anticipated that he would be in Japan? Not wanting to keep him waiting Batman answered the inquired. "Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow."

"Ohhh bwuuufff! Wrong! Yet.. yet so close," Riddler chuckled through his teeth.

"Where is she Nigma?" Batman cut straight to the point.

"She? Hmmmm, who is she?"

"I'm not playing games with you Riddler," Batman growled.

Riddler took humor to his words. "Oh but you must, no.. you will!" Riddler corrected. "You have no say in the matter. And to answer your question detective, Nar is perfectly fine.. for now."

Nar? It was now clear Ran represented the kidnap victim that had been detailed to Kogoro in the story fed to him by the Riddler. "Where is she?"

"Well that all depends on the time."

"Time?"

"Tomorrow she could be in several places. Today she floats a stream of the moment. Yesterday, well.. you'll have to flip it all around to make any sense of that."

"I'm only going to ask you once more." Batman was quickly losing his patience. "Where is the girl? Where is Ran Mouri?"

"There is a box, located on the north/east corner of the building where you currently reside. You will open this box," Riddler instructed. "Inside you will find three wrist bands. One is for you, one for the grieving investigator, and one for the ladies' man wizard."

"Why are you doing this? Why now?"

There was now a fire of passion to be heard within his voice. "Because I must," Riddler replied before conveying one final message. "Have at you, detective."

And with that the line between the two was cut. Batman dropped the phone to his side. "I have no choice but to play his game." He looked to the corner of the roof, and there it was. Sitting in a shadowed area was the box the Riddler mentioned. What was going to happen next was a given.

…..

Haibara and Hiroshi watched as many security guards raced from one end of the room to the other. Things were clearly heating up. While it wasn't completely clear what was going on, they had a good feeling they would soon find out.

"Hey, you over there," Jirokichi said gaining the attention of one of the security guards.

"What is it?" he asked as he approached.

"That television there," Jirokichi said pointing to the ceiling. "Do you have a remote to turn it on. I want to follow all coverage that is going on, on the outside. If there is something on Kid I want to know right away."

The security guard bowed his head. "I'll go and fetch the remote."

"Looks like we're still out of service," Hiroshi said after taking another look at his phone. "I wonder where Shinichi is now."

"None of this is adding up," Haibara said.

Hiroshi looked down at her curiously. "What are you talking about?"

"Jamming phone signals, this is not something Kaitou Kid has ever done in the past," Haibara said. "He has always been about the mystery of trick, and the thrill of the chase."

Hiroshi didn't quite follow. "What are you trying to say?"

"That someone else is behind-"

"Haibara, doc!"

Haibara looked across the way to find Conan had finally returned. "Edogawa-kun."

"I finally managed to find and turn off the tracking device the old man installed."

"We figured that much. If you don't mind me asking, where was it?" Haibara asked.

"The tracking device was hidden in the structure of the small glass case the miniature statue was sealed inside," Conan informed. "It wasn't until I pulled the case apart piece by piece that I discovered the tracking device. And to my luck it had an off switch."

"So, you had the Elephant Revenant after all. I was also told you were pursuing Mouri-kun as well." Hiroshi was almost surprised to find he wasn't present. "Where is he now?"

"I was following him," Conan acknowledged. "But there was a change in plans."

"Change in plans?"

"The Elephant Revenant, where is it now?" Haibara asked out of curiosity.

"Somewhere safe," Conan replied.

Haibara and Hiroshi looked to one another. This was not the response they were expecting. "Somewhere safe?" questioned Haibara. "That would imply you're trying to keep it out of the hands of someone."

"That's the whole point," Conan confirmed. "We can't let them get their hands on the Elephant Revenant."

"Wait, slow down," Hiroshi said. "Who are these people whom you are referring? And above all, how did you get a hold of the Elephant Revenant in the first place?"

"Kaitou Kid," Conan revealed.

"What?!" Hiroshi couldn't believe it. "When? How? Why?"

"As much as I'd like to explain there is a deadline I have to meet," Conan explained.

"The deadline isn't until midnight," Haibara reminded. "There is plenty of time for you to-"

"I'm not talking about Eddy, I'm talking about Kid," Conan clarified. "In the note he left for me, he said we would meet on the roof of the Midtown Tower at ten o'clock, that's two minutes from now."

"That's going to be difficult," Haibara said after hearing this.

There was now a questioning look on Conan's face. "What do you mean?"

"The rooftop is currently occupied by security," Hiroshi informed. "It is believed that they came across Kiatou Kid a few minutes ago. Whether they have apprehended him or not is unknown at this time."

"I don't know what you and Kid agreed on, but it would seem the circumstances have drastically changed since your arrangement was made," Haibara said. "I doubt Kid is still up there, and even if he is there is no way Inspector Ginzo will allow you or anyone else to go up there."

Conan couldn't deny the truth behind her words. "She's right.. as much as I hate to admit it. But I have to, this is my only chance to make contact." Conan tightened his fists as emotion began to fume. "Ran's life depends on this."

"Edogawa-kun," Haibara spoke.

Before Conan had the chance to respond he heard the call of his name. "Conan! You're back!" Genta made his way over. Mitsuhiko and Ayumi followed a short distance behind. "Took you long enough."

"We were beginning to worry," Mitsuhiko admitted. "What happened? Did you get lost on the way back?"

"Well, uhhh." Conan paused. "The art. I got caught up in some of the art in the hallway leading to the gallery. There was a couple paintings I was looking at."

"I wanna see them," Ayumi said.

"Perhaps on the way out," Hiroshi suggested.

Conan's focus reverted back to the matter at hand. Everything that had been going so smoothly had now completely folded. What now? What was he to do next? Whatever it was he knew it would have to happen soon.

…..

Batman now traveled back into the direction he had come. Grappling from one building to the next, the wind now blew in defiance of his efforts.

"It couldn't just be coincidence. How did the Riddler know I'd be here in Tokyo?" The unlikely possibility had to be considered. "Could it be that he has played a hand in the distribution of Scarecrow's toxin? That could explain his anticipation of my arrival."

It was hard to believe, it had to be something else. But what? The rooftop Batman had left Kaito Kid and Kogoro on was now in sight. Roughly eighteen minutes passed since he departed. Gliding down from above he landed with a soft touch. Looking over to the right he came to find Kogoro was the only one still tied up, and bound to his mouth was what appeared to be a handkerchief .

"Where is Kaitou Kid?" Had he really escaped?

Before Batman had the opportunity to investigate Kaito Kid stepped out from the dark side of the roof. "So nice of you to rejoin us," Kaitou Kid greeted as he marched forward. "Conversation was growing thin with just the two of us."

"You didn't run," Batman said.

"You seem surprised."

Batman looked back at Kogoro before facing Kid once more. "You didn't cut my line," he noted. "How did you get free?"

Kaitou Kid twiddled his fingers. "Have you forgotten, I'm a magician."

Batman chose not proceed with the discussion any further, knowing there would be no ground to gain. His attention fell back on Kogoro. "Why have you silenced him?" Batman asked in reference to the cloth wrapped over the detective's mouth.

"Well, there is a reasonable reason for that," Kaitou Kid replied. "A short time ago I managed to get free. It was also at that time that one of the helicopters just happened to be hovering above this roof. Long story short, Mr. Detective here tried to gain the attention of our airborne friends. That was a big no no."

Batman walked over, pulling the handkerchief from Kogoro's mouth who immediately spoke. "Ran, do you know where she is?!"

"On your feet." Batman forcefully lifted Kogoro up before spinning him around.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Kogoro exclaimed.

In short time Batman removed the grappling wire that bounded detective Mouri. "Much better," Kogoro said delight. He then turned to face the man who sprung him free, surprised that he had been cut free. There was now a hopefulness to be seen in his eyes. "Ran.. please tell me you know where she is."

"If you want to find your daughter, we're going to have to play Riddler's game," Batman said. "Which means the three of us will have to work together."

"Excuse me?" Kaitou Kid wanted further detail for what it was he was talking about. "So does this mean you are the third of the treble?"

Not choosing to answer Batman continued. "I tracked the phone which the Riddler used to call detective Mouri earlier today, the moment I did the phone rang."

"And did you answer it?" Kaitou Kid asked.

"Riddler confided that he does in fact have Ran, more importantly that she is alive," Batman relayed.

Kogoro sighed in relief.

"Tell us something we don't know," replied Kaitou Kid in light of this news.

Reaching for the side of his belt Batman pulled out what appeared to be three wrist bands, each seemingly with a small speaker installed in the center.

"What do those have to do with anything?" Kogoro asked.

"These were left for me to take after finishing my conversation with the Riddler. He wants each of us to wear one," Batman informed.

"For what?" Kogoro questioned.

"He did not say."

Kaitou Kid noticed a certain detail about each of the wrist bands. "They're all different colors." Red, Yellow, Black, the colors for the trio of wrist bands. "Are there any other differences between them?"

"As far as I know, no," Batman replied. Wasting no more time he kept the black one for himself before holding out the remaining two for them to select.

Kaitou Kid instantly grabbed the red colored wrist band. "Can't go wrong with the red."

With yellow being the only option remaining Kogoro reluctantly took hold of it. "I would have preferred black or red," Kogoro muttered.

"So, what is this game the Riddler spoke of?" Kaitou Kid asked. "And how will we know when it will begin?"

"I believe the game will start the moment we put these bracelets on," Batman assumed. "No doubt Riddler has a way of knowing once we've placed them on. Given that all three bracelets have a speaker unit installed I am certain Riddler will be able to contact us whenever he wishes."

"Then what are we waiting for?!" Kogoro stated.

"No, not yet," Batman shot down. "Before we throw ourselves into the ring of challenge I believe it would be wise for us to go over everything we know, starting from the beginning.. the riddle."

"The silver blade placed into your chest I pull out into creation of Gold. Come tomorrow's fall of dawn the Gold shall flow with waves towards its destination of multiply. Bring to me the Light of whose hands are unclean to which he touches. Midnight's deadline waits at the Eye and Hand overlooking all," Kogoro read from the note in hand.

"We also know the Riddler referred to Ran as Nar. Then there is also the Adam and Goliath mentions," Kaitou Kid recalled. "But what do they symbolize?"

"Let's not forget the most important element to all of this, twisted perception," Batman reminded. "Every riddle to this point has painted an indirect or mirrored message."

"He then used my own daughters phone to make contact with me," Kogoro continued.

"Can't forget the photos you received in the mail," Kaitou Kid noted.

"To obtain the sought, bring to me the treble who oppose El Acertijo. That was the message sent to your daughter's phone after you retrieved it," Batman said.

"Last is the most recent message that was sent to Detective Mouri," Kaitou Kid said. "Come and get me."

"That leads to the discussion I had with Nigma over the phone. One of the first things he did was ask a question in the form of a riddle," Batman relayed. ""Morning, day, and night. That was the opening of his point. He then went on to ask if I was able to name three consecutive days without using the words; Sunday, Saturday, Friday, Thursday, Wednesday, Tuesday, or Monday."

"And what was your answer?" asked Kaitou Kid. "Fun day, sad day, and off day?"

Batman replied. "Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow."

"Touché."

"Riddler deemed my answer as incorrect."

This came as a surprise to both Kid and Kogoro.

"Have at you. Those were the Riddler's final words to me before our conversation ended," Batman informed.

"Have at you?" Kaitou Kid questioned.

"I've heard the term before," Kogoro said.

Kaitou Kid looked over at him. "You have?"

"It's a declaration from one person to another, an indication that they will strike," Kogoro explained. "Usually with a sword or some other kind hand based weapon."

"And given the situation, I've figured how the term fits into all of this," Batman stated. "Have at you.. The silver blade placed into your chest I pull out into creation of Gold. It is simple, the silver blade in the riddle is a representation of the challenge."

It was all starting to make sense. "What about this creation of gold?" Kogoro inquired. "Any bright ideas for what that could possibly mean?"

"The gold is the equivalent to one's victory," Batman explained. "The Riddler is predicting our failure, thus leaving him as the victor. That is a simple way of looking at it, but I'm almost certain there is more to it than that."

"You seem pretty sure about all of this," Kaitou Kid noted.

"I know the way he thinks." Batman then glanced down at the black colored wrist band. At this point they had gone over everything they possibly could. All that remained was to begin. He looked back at the two men standing before him. "I don't entirely know what the Riddler is planning, so I'm only going to say this. Whatever happens, keep a level head. If we can do that collectively, we can't possibly lose."

Of the three Kaitou Kid was the first to slide on his selected wrist band, quickly followed by Kogoro. Seeing both of theirs neatly in place Batman did the same. The moment he did all three bracelets vibrated.

"Here we go," Kaitou Kid thought to himself. The sound of static came from the speakers. It didn't surprise anyone when someone's voice followed.

"Greetings you over hyped tier level seconds. This is your host speaking."

Kogoro recognized his voice instantly. "Where is she?! Where are you keeping my daughter?!"

"Oh, is that you Sleeping Kogoro? It is so nice to hear your voice again," Riddler pressed.

"If you've put a finger on her I swear that-"

The Riddler interrupted. "A single finger?" Riddler chuckled. "How about two? Double provides for a two way route, in turn allowing an additional option. Even you should know that Mr. Investigator."

Batman took note of his words. "Two way route.."

Kogoro exploded. "WHAT WAS THAT?!"

"Detective Mouri, enough," Batman said hoping to refocus him. "Remember what we discussed."

Kogoro took a deep breath, exhaling just as slowly. "That's right, I need keep a clear head."

"Batman of the black, ravaging red hoisted by the Kid Thief, and Sleeping Kogoro ends up with the left over yellow. Excellent," Riddler said. "The three of you selected the wrist bands I had envisioned.. Ohhhh, how I love to be right."

Raising his arm Kaitou Kid spoke into the wrist band. "Yo, Riddle guy," Kaitou Kid said. "You still haven't told us why you're doing this. Are we right to believe you want to challenge us?"

"A challenge? A challenge would imply that one see's another as a threat. This is not a challenge," Riddler clucked. "This is an opening of the curtain. It is time for the light to shine where it is destined! Tonight, Today! The world will finally see whose greatness is above all others, I, the Riddler.. will see that it is so."

"Someone needs a serious ego check," Kaitou Kid remarked.

"Tonight, Today." Those two words rung clear in Batman's mind. Could it be a hint to something bigger? "Night… day, what are you planning Nigma?"

"Hmmm, if I'm not mistaken Mr. Kid Thief," Riddler spoke. "You don't have the Revenant Elephant on you, do you?"

Kaitou Kid grinned. "What's it mean to you either way?"

The Riddler did not reply.

"So tell us, how do you plan on proving yourself to the world?" Kogoro rolled his eyes. "As far as I can tell it just seems to be you, and a handpicked trio of your choice. Not much of an audience."

"Though it may seem that way now, once we begin you will see that isn't the case. Everyone will be invited."

"All that has come from you is self-boasting and a bunch of noise," Kaitou Kid stated. He pumped his fists as if to accept the challenge. "How much longer do you plan on prolonging this dance of yours?"

"We wait no further. Contestants, can I get your attention into the south/west direction of where you stand now?"

All three of them complied. "Is there something in particular we should be seeing?" Kogoro asked.

"Look afar, in that general area construction has been getting done for the past week. Workers on the site have gone home for the night."

"So, what of it?" Kaitou Kid asked.

The Riddler giggled. "We're going to start the game with a BANG!"

In that instance transmission was cut off. Not a moment sooner a loud boom was heard, followed by an explosion, all of which came from the direction of the construction site. "NO WAY!" Kogoro yelled as he looked on in despair.

The sound of screams and aguish carried with the wind. Kaitou Kid clutched his fists in disgust. The flames from the explosion burned hot in Batman's eyes, reminiscent of the fire within.

"He won't get away with this," Kogoro declared. As it had before, all lights within the general area began to flicker. "Again?"

And in the breath of the moment all electricity blacked out. "What the heck is going on?" Kaitou Kid questioned.

Electricity returned after only four seconds of total darkness, but with it came a change. Every TV located in Tokyo was taken over, with every station playing one single thing. Using the zooming system within his cowl Batman was able to see exactly what it was, in view on a large screen on the side of a building was none other than the Riddler.

"Nigma," Batman muttered.

"Hello citizens of Tokyo and Gotham alike, for those of you who are unaware I am The Riddler. I would first like to apologize for interrupting your many programs. But I bring to you an important event, one of life or death!"

Just as those on the outside, the broadcast was visible for those who were inside. Conan's eyes were now locked onto the TV screen that hung from the ceiling in the gallery. Conan recognized him the moment Riddler's face appeared on the screen. "That's him, that's Eddy!"

"My, this man heavily resembles Edward Nigma," Hiroshi noted.

Conan looked up at him after hearing this. "Edward Nigma?"

"He's the man whom I wanted to tell you about over the phone. Unfortunately the signal in this area was cut off for a time," Hiroshi replied. "Anyway, after doing some research on your behalf I came across an Edward Nigma in the criminal data base. Nigma-san resides in Gotham City, and given his background and appearance he fit the description that was given to me from you."

"I see," Conan said before focusing back on the TV screen.

By this time the Riddler began to speak once again. "By now I am sure some of you are aware of the explosions that just went off in your respected locations. I wonder who could have been responsible for that? OH!" Riddler raised his hand. "That would be me. Don't worry, no one was hurt. At least not intentionally."

Jirokichi who held the TV remote in hand attempted to change the channel, when he did he came to find the Riddler once again. He switched through several channels only to find him on every single one. "This clown is on every damn channel! What the hell is going on?!"

"Listen up gentlemen and ladies, stack on in, because the show is about to begin! Tonight's main event will feature Tokyo's so called greatest detective, the thief boy in white whose hands cling to whatever the desired may be, and Gotham City's very own Dark Knight." Riddler then rubbed his hands together in excitement. "I have a game for our contestants to compete in, one which will showcase their worth, or.. lack thereof. If each of them are to successfully complete the trials given to them, the game will be over. You all will be able to return to your daily lives."

"I knew it, Kid is in on this as well," Jirokichi stated.

"What happens if one of them fails?" Mitsuhiko questioned.

Riddler would soon answer just that. "Now in the case that anyone of these three fail to complete their given puzzle, I will set off more explosions," Riddler dispensed. He grinned evilly. "Oh, and this time casualties would be a guarantee."

Jirokichi crossed his arms over his chest. "It's a bluff, no way he is telling the truth."

"I don't believe that is the case," a security guard standing behind said.

Jirokichi turned around after hearing this. "What's that?"

"I just received word from the unit on the roof of an explosion south/west of here. So there might just be some weight to his words."

"Dammit," Jirokichi hissed before looking back toward the TV.

Riddler didn't stop there. "But why should we let them have all of the fun? To make this once in a life time event special I'm going to allow three special civilians to get in on the action. Now listen closely. Each of our three contestants are wearing communication devices that are strapped around their wrists, all of which are different colors," Riddler relayed to the wider audience. "Here's the important part. There are three more of these devices, all identical to the ones the investigator, the kid, and the knight are wearing."

Conan's eyes narrowed. "What is he getting at?"

"For those of you who reside in Gotham, two of the three are located in the city, you just have to find them," Riddler informed. "The final one is located in Tokyo somewhere. The investigator, the kid, and the knight are the only three who are forbidden from attempting to find the remaining three."

"What makes this man think anyone is going to play this game of his?" questioned Haibara.

"Let me guess, there are those of you asking.. why would we want to participate?" Riddler laughed at the thought of it. "Well that's quite simple, because if those wrist band communicators aren't found in ten minutes, there will be more explosions to come!"

"Guess that answers that," Haibara said.

"Now, now.. it would only be fair if I gave you a hint as to where they are located," Riddler said. "The thief stands atop the face of the past that holds two hands over looking all.. What is it that the thief takes that becomes poison to his hands?.. The thief then proceeds to take from the ruins of the past."

"What kind of hints are those?" Jirokichi said throwing his hands into the air.

"Here is what is going to happen, whoever the lucky winners are to find the hidden wristbands will place them on. This will of course link you directly to one of the three contestants; you will simply serve as their support in this game. Isn't it just grand?! There is no telling which one of you will find them. It could be you, or possibly even the person standing next to you!" Riddler exclaimed. "Before I go there is one final thing I feel I must share with all of you."

Reaching down to his side, Riddler held up a small device in hand for all watching the broadcast to see. "As to make sure all of you are aware, this is what the devices in question look like."

Conan's eyes became wide the moment he laid eyes on it.

After a couple of seconds the Riddler dropped the device back down to his side. "Now without further ado, let the hunt begin!"

Not a moment later the Riddler blacked out from the screen, replaced by a green colored question mark and a ten minute count down directly below it.

"This is absurd!" yelled Jirokichi.

With not a moment to spare Conan turned into the direction of the exit before sprinting off yet again.

"Conan-kun, where are you going?!" Hiroshi called.

Not once did Conan look back on his departure.

"Hey guys, shouldn't we follow him?" Mitsuhiko questioned.

"No, we will stay here for now," Hiroshi declined. "I'm certain Conan-kun will return as soon as he can."

"I hope he'll be ok." Ayumi was now worried. "It looked like something was wrong."

Unknown to them Damian watched on attentively from a far corner of the room. "What is that boy up to now?"

….

Even where they stood on the rooftop, they had heard everything.

"This Riddler friend of yours really wants to prove his point," Kaitou Kid stated.

Batman who was focused on the streets below finally turned his focus back to the two who accompanied him. "The authorities are scrambling down there as we speak. No doubt they'll attempt to find the Riddler's location."

"Do you believe they will?"

"Nigma won't make it easy." Batman then made way to the other side of the roof.

Seeing this Kogoro felt the need to say something. "Hey, where are you going?"

Batman did not reply. Once he was a safe distance away he made the call. "Alfred."

"I was expecting you would check in soon."

"The Riddler just broadcasted a message to all citizens of Tokyo, Japan-"

"A recording that was received here in Gotham as well sir," Alfred reported.

His thoughts were now confirmed. "Riddler set off an explosion south/west of where I am," Batman informed. "Did the same occur in Gotham?"

"That would be correct. Fortunately no one was hurt."

"Where?"

"Robbinsville," Alfred conveyed. "An abandoned apartment complex was the selected target."

"Robbinsville.." There was a long pause. "That's north/east."

"Is there something to that?"

".. Maybe. We have less than ten minutes Alfred to find the three communicators, two of which are located in Gotham."

"Master Grayson is already on the task. I'll patch you into him right now."

Letting a couple seconds pass Batman spoke. "Nightwing."

"Yo," Nightwing dispatched.

"Alfred says you're handling situation involving the Riddler's challenge."

"No better man for the job."

"Where are you now?"

"I'm on my way to the Gotham museum," Nightwing informed. "The same museum Kaitou Kid broke into on his trip here."

"Do you believe that is where the Riddler has hidden one of the communicators?"

"I have no doubt about it. I mean, think about it. The final hint the Riddler gave about the location of one of the communicators was; The thief then proceeds to take from the ruins of the past," Dick ran down. "First thing that needs to be taken into consideration, the thief. Given the circumstances I believe the 'thief' is referencing none other than our boy Kaitou. After all he's tied directly into all of this."

"Agreed."

"And where can you find ruins of the past? A museum is the first place you'd look. Kaitou Kid took from the Gotham Museum, that has to be where Riddler has hidden one of his devices." Nightwing was almost certain of this.

"Nightwing, how much longer until you reach the museum?"

"Six minutes no sweat."

"Good, contact me once you've reached the museum."

"What about the other communicators?"

"I'll worry about them. You just focus on the one." Not wasting anytime Batman made another call to one of his other allies. "Damian, it's me. I believe I know where the communicator located in Tokyo is, so listen up."

On the other side of the roof, Kaitou Kid and Kogoro were on the same topic.

"Thief… the Riddler must have been referring to me in his hints," Kaitou Kid assumed.

"Well, that's good for us," Kogoro said. "That means you should have a good idea for where he has hidden them all."

"I would like to believe that, but.."

"But what?"

"The thief stands atop the face of the past that holds two hands over looking all. That is the first hint the Riddler gave for the whereabouts for one of the communicators."

"So? What of it?"

"I'm not sure what it could possibly be referring-"

"Wait a minute, face that holds two hands.."

Kaitou Kid looked over at him. "Have you figured something out?"

It snapped in Kogoro's head at that moment. "A clock," Kogoro stated. "A clock has two hands and a face. That must be it."

"That leaves the last part of the hint; overlooking all." Kaitou Kid gave some thought to the matter. "That's it, overlooking all! The NTT Docomo Yoyogi Building, that is the largest clock tower in all of Japan. That has to be where Riddler has placed one of the communicators."

Kogoro shook his head in disagreement. "That's not right."

Confusion found way to the Kid thief's face. "You disagree?"

"You're forgetting that bell tower is not the tallest structure in Japan, how then can it overlook all? The Abeno Harukas building in Osaka owns that title. Even here in Tokyo alone the Toranomon Hills is the tallest standing structure," Kogoro stated.

"You're right." Kaitou Kid was bummed. He then looked into the direction of Batman. "So if not the bell tower here in Tokyo, then maybe?"

Kogoro too looked to the Dark Knight. "Yes, perhaps the hint was referring to one of the communication devices in Gotham City."

"Heya Bats!" called Kaitou Kid. "I think there is something you need to hear."

Walking back over, Batman rejoined the two. "What is it?"

"The thief stands atop the face of the past that holds two hands over looking all," Kogoro said. "We believe that the Riddler was hinting at a-"

"Clock tower?" Batman interjected, showing he had visited the same possibility.

Kogoro nodded. "Yes."

"The clock tower located in Gotham is far from being the tallest building in Gotham. The same can be said for the Yoyogi Building located here in Tokyo, which also happens to be the second tallest clock tower in the world."

Kogoro was impressed. "You really know your stuff."

"So if the Riddler's hint isn't referring to a clock tower, then what?" Kaitou Kid questioned.

Batman placed a hand under his chin as he thought hard on the matter. "The thief stands atop the face of the past.. past. Past is the key word."

Kaitou Kid was curious. "What makes you say that?"

"The Riddler is hinting at a location that overlooks all, something that did in the past that is." It was now starting to come together. "That holds two hands over looking all. Two hands, the past.. the present. That's it."

"What's it?" Kogoro asked. "Have you figured it out?"

Batman faced him. "The hands the Riddler was referring to are a representation of time, not a clock. One hand represents the past, the other represents the present."

"So where is the communicator located?" Kaitou Kid asked.

There was now an assured look to be found on Batman's face. "Gotham City, the old Wayne Tower," Batman said. "While it may not be the tallest building in Gotham now, it was for a long time. It was built as a symbol to welcome anyone entering the city."

"Overlooking all.. sounds like we have our place," Kaitou Kid agreed. A questioning look then came to Kaitou Kid's face. "That's strange, I've never been to the old Wayne tower. I thought every place the Riddler hid those devices had something to do with me."

Batman stepped aside once again before making a call. "Nightwing, it's me. I need a status update."

"Perfect timing," Nightwing cheerfully replied. "I've got it Batman. Riddler's device was in the exact spot Kaitou Kid stole the Revenant Warriors from. Never imagined it was going to be yellow. Not exactly my type of color."

"Nightwing, you need to place the device on your wrist," Batman instructed. "That is the only way it will become activated."

"Gotcha." Nightwing did as asked of him.

The moment he did Kogoro's wrist communicator vibrated. "What was that?"

"Nightwing, I know where the other communicator located in Gotham is," Batman informed. "I want you to send one of the others to go and retrieve it."

"Babs is way across town, and Stephanie is unavailable. Which leaves only Cassandra , and given that we're dealing with the Riddler she wouldn't be much help," Nightwing stated. "Robin is with you, and everyone else is out of the city right now."

"Not to worry Master Bruce."

"Alfred?"

"I've been listening in. I already contacted one of your outside allies," Alfred informed. "While he certainly wouldn't have been your first choice, I contacted him for the very fact that we're dealing with time here."

"Flash.."

"That's right, no way are you guys going to be able to tackle this without me," Flash radioed. "Why not hand me the MVP award while we're at it?"

"Flash, how far away from Wayne Tower are you?"

"Be there in.. here," Flash reported. Seconds went by before the speedster spoke again. "Got it. Looks like I found Mr. Riddler's device. So, all have to do is place it on right?"

"Yes."

In that instance Kaitou Kid's communication bracelet vibrated just as Kogoro's had. "Looks like I'm all good to go." The Kid Thief then directed his attention to Batman. "I overheard you talking. Mind telling me who I'm going to be collaborating with?"

Batman looked at him before turning away once again. "Flash."

"Flash, as in THE Flash?" there was a genuine anticipation that carried in his voice.

"One and only," Flash spoke from the other end of the device.

"That just leaves the final communicator," Batman said.

"That must mean the final one is here in Gotham," Kogoro noted. "The remaining hint; 'What is it that the thief takes that becomes poison to his hands?' That is the hint the Riddler gave for his communicator device located here in Tokyo. But what does it mean?"

Kogoro turned focus to Kaitou Kid. "All of these riddles seem to be centered on you in some kind of way," Kogoro pointed out. "If there is any of us who might know where the last-"

"I believe I do," Batman announced.

All attention drew his way. "You do?" Kogoro questioned. "If that is so, then shouldn't we-"

"Someone is already in pursuit of it," Batman assured.

Kogoro checked his watch. "We have less than four minutes before the deadline." He then turned attention back to Batman. "This is my daughter's life on the line, I don't like being kept in the dark. If you know where the final communicator is I would like to know. For all we know you could be wrong about its location."

The moments those words escaped Kogoro's lips Batman's wrist device vibrated, confirming that someone had found and placed the final communicator on. Batman looked Kogoro dead in the eyes. "Will there be anything else?"

Kogoro huffed before turning away. Batman then proceeded to walk away from the two once again.

"There he goes again," Kaitou Kid asked. When no response came the Kid Thief simply snapped a finger. "Huuhph, I bet he's really popular with the ladies."

Once he felt enough distance had been put between him and the pair Batman came to a stop. "Good work Robin," Batman radioed. A casual laugh came in response. This prompted him to raise a brow. "Robin?"

"I don't know this Robin whom you speak of, but I can assure you I am no bird."

Batman did not recognize the voice. "Who is this?" the Caped Crusader narrowed his eyes ever so slightly.

"AceDetective," the voice of a teenage boy responded. "Kudo, Shinichi."

To Be Continued

LeonardoTMNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Chapter 1: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-1759979/#3

Chapter 2: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-2-1760448/#1

Chapter 3: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-3-1761162/#1

Chapter 4: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-4-1761966/#2

Chapter 5: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-5-1765365/#2

Chapter 6: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-6-1768586/#3

Chapter 7: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-7-1772317/

Chapter 8: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-8-1806555/#2

Chapter 9: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-9-1807461/#2

Chapter 10: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-10-1813573/#2

Chapter 11: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-11-1814763/

Chapter 12: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-12-1833658/#2

Chapter 13: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-13-1837081/#3

Chapter 14: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-14-1841277/#3

Chapter 15: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-15-1849704/#2

Chapter 16: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/batmandetective-conan-crossover-16-1854780/#2