Avatar image for batmanbeyond234
batmanbeyond234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By batmanbeyond234

At the very stroke of midnight, around a table in a warehouse-like building, three men sat around a table that was lit from one light fixture overhead.

One of the men was large and blocky, and looked as if he had been in more than a few fistfights...or worse. He wore a T-shirt from the local gym where he went to work out seven days a week. Another was completely bald, but wore a thin mustache and a goatee. Age lines covered his face, but his form still breathed deadly violent power. The third was smaller and thinner than the other two, and he was doing all the talking. A laptop computer helped light up the large room, and on it was a chart that he showed to the other two.

"Al, Antony...just take a look at this chart, guys. If we are able to cut into Whale's business here, we can make ourselves about 5 million dollars within the first two months of operation."

"Sounds pretty good, Marv. I don't know if it's worth the money that we have put in up front, though..."

"But Antony, we need a good source of money coming in after that whole thing with Joey Silvermane..."

"Yeah. He paid us good, but the family's money was all going straight into his crazy research..."

All of a sudden they heard the fluttering of wings all about them.

"Stupid birds," Antony said, standing up. "I thought we had their nests cleared outta here when we bought this place."

"Well, maybe they snuck in or something," Al said, getting up. He pulled a 9 mm Browning out of his shoulder holster and aimed it up at the rafters. "I'll shoot the stupid birds...then they'll stop that flappin' about."

But the flapping became louder, and they could hear tiny squealing noises. They soon found the source of all the noise: the room had just filled up with hundreds of three-foot-wingspan bats.

"What the heck?" Al asked.

"You think we can shoot them all?" Antony said, pulling out his own weapon.

Suddenly, the bats seemed to move aside as a costumed figure stepped toward them, but did not come into the light. Even in the darkness of the warehouse, it was evident that he had a horned mask and wore a batlike cape.

"It's the Batman!" Al shouted. "He's found us out!"

"We should try to take him out!" Antony responded. "I've heard he's not so tough..."

"You fools should never have tried to take on the one who commands the bats! Attack, my pets!"

At the figure's command, hundreds of hungry bats descended on the trio. Driven to hunger by deliberate starvation, the creatures gave the three mobsters a slow, agonizing death.

Hours later, Marv watched as the bats finished the last of their meal of blood and flesh. The bat-like figure laughed evilly, and then disappeared into the night, along with his pets. As Barbara Gordon stepped out of the shower the next morning, she knew she was running late. She was drying her hair in her bedroom when she heard the early morning TV news blaring its theme song.

"A bizarre attack on the Gotham waterfront left three suspected Maggia members dead. Their bodies were found nibbled to almost unrecognizability by what seem to have been hundreds of bats. A card was also left at the scene with a bat-like shape on it. There has been no official word from the police as to who may have been behind the murders, but a number of sources are pointing to the mysterious Batman, who has long been a predator on crime in Gotham City..."

She turned her head when she heard the news. Barbara had followed the reports of the Batman since his first appearances in Gotham and other parts of New York City. She had heard dozens of stories about Batman sightings or actual meetings with the Batman from her father, Commissioner James Gordon. All these stories contributed to her fascination with this man, a fascination that bordered on a willingness to take up Batman's example and defend Gotham herself. But she was a legal assistant trying out for a job with the FBI, and didn't have time for such things.

But she didn't believe the Batman would commit murder like this. She recalled all the reports of Batman saving old ladies from being robbed by Gotham's street punks, or stopping super-criminals. When she looked at the clock and realized that it was 8:00, thoughts of the Batman disappeared as she made a mad rush to finish getting ready and get out the door to work. If one sat and watched the door of the Happy Hour Social Club on Amsterdam Street that night, one would see a steady succession of tough-looking guys looking up and down the street, and then going in.

If one were able to see inside the club, one would see ten of the toughest mid-level figures in the Gotham branch of the Maggia gathered together. One figure was older than the rest, and seemed to command the attention of others at the bar and who were gathering at the table. Three of them looked like stereotypical tough guys, who could be pointed at a target and told to go off when their bosses pleased. One of them looked more intelligent than the rest, and seemed nervous, as if he expected someone to strike at any moment. The bartender and another one of the social club's patrons tried to calm him down. The three others hung together, and were younger than the others. They spoke more loudly than the others in the club, and drank more.

The respected one took a drink of his mineral water, and then spoke. "Okay, let's everybody sit down and we'll talk about this thing that happened last night."

"Somebody hit Al, Antony, and Marv," one of the younger ones said as the group began to gather at the table. "Real sicko, too.."

"Yeah," piped in another one of the younger men there. "But you know what..I'm pretty sure it was the Batman."

One of the tough guys clapped the young man on the shoulder to correct him. "Listen, kid, I've been working in Gotham the whole time Batman's been around, and I ain't never heard of him attacking nobody with no bats."

There was a general grunt of assent from those gathered at the table. The leader cleared his throat before taking another drink of water, and then spoke.

"Everybody listen to young Fred, there, because he has a point. There's a lotta crime in Gotham," he said. "Maybe Batman is adopting tougher tactics for tougher times. Maybe he's become a killer."

The group sat quietly for a moment. There was not a man there who did not somehow fear the Batman, although none would admit it. If Batman had become a killer who targeted Maggia members, it might not be long before they were next to be killed.

The nervous man cleared his throat. "It's funny how the Bat went after those three, and not somebody else. Al and Antony were some of the ones who told the boss about what his son Joey was doing with the family's money, and they're dead."

"And you did, too, Marco," the leader commented. "You think there's some kinda connect..."

At that moment, a window broke behind them and a gas-bomb landed on the floor. With instincts gained from combined decades of gang warfare, the mobster quickly darted for napkins and washcloths to cover their faces. But the gas was strong, and quick-acting, and their fingers were soon grasping at their collars. Out of the smoke walked an imposing figure.

Silently, the horned, bat-like figure raised a modified pistol and shot small, sharp, bat-shaped projectiles into the necks of all present. If anyone were left alive after his deadly deed, they would have heard the caped figure chuckling to himself as he left the club. The next day, Barbara Gordon stood in line at Joe's Deli. Barbara tried to avoid Joe's obvious flirtation with her to watch the midday news that had just begun.

"Another strange attack last night, this time on a social club that has long been suspected to be a hideout for the Gotham branch of the Maggia. Ten men were killed, all with a bat-shaped throwing star in their throats. Evidence is mounting that the Batman may be involved in these murders..."

Someone was posing as Batman, and committing these murders, and against suspected Maggia figures. Someone had to stop them, but the true Batman had not stepped in yet. An idea sparked in Barbara Gordon's head as she walked back to work with her veggie sub.

For the rest of the afternoon, while no one was looking, she investigated the news reports about the murders. There had to be a reason behind them, a connection between the people who were killed.

It didn't take long for Barbara's brilliant mind to figure out the connection. The people who had been murdered so far included four of the five people who had supposedly ratted Joseph Silvermane out to his father as the architect of a huge research project to breed virulently vampiric bats. A Maggia informant who was now deceased had told the police a great deal about Silvio Manfredi's embarrassment with his son, so all Barbara had to do was to go into the records that the city had kept about the case.

Joseph was supposed to be using his father's money, apparently, to develop new "technologies" for the Maggia, but after he was shut down by the F.B.I, his position in the organization had noticeably decreased. Barbara knew enough about the workings of the Maggia through her legal training, her sources in the city government, and from her conversations with her father, to know that Joseph would not be able to strike at his enemies directly without attracting more negative attention from his father.

The motive for the killings fit perfectly, and the means by which the murders were committed seemed right for Joseph Silvermane, who was fascinated with bats. There was one person left who had not been killed among those who ratted Joseph out: Marcia Black, Joseph's former girlfriend.

If the pattern of the crimes were to continue the way it had been going, Marcia would be next, and her death would be as ghastly as those of the others, or worse. Barbara had to find Marcia and protect her. When Barbara got home that night, she dug into the back rungs of her closet, behind the fancy dresses she had bought but had not worn often enough, to a rather strange piece of clothing. She pulled it out of the closet and lay it on her bed.

It lay there on the bed, with a cowl with large batlike ears and a deep purple cape. Next to it lay a utility belt which she had developed to have the gadgets that Batman had carried. Purple boots and gloves completed the outfit.

It was time to put the outfit on, to take to the streets to clear Batman's name. It was time to go to Marcia Black's Park Avenue apartment and save her from certain death.

Batwoman was born. Marcia Black had just finished talking to her new boyfriend. He couldn't come to see her tonight; his work at the Internet startup he ran made him work late into the night. He was kinder to her than Joey had been, although few people knew that they were going out. Marcia hung up the phone rather despondently, and looked around her apartment to see if any hidden intruders had come in while she was on the phone. A pause in the mirror reminded her of her beautiful face and long raven hair.

There was a rapping noise at her balcony porch window.

She went slowly toward the balcony screen door, pausing briefly to pick up a small pistol she had ready for anyone who might choose to attack her in her apartment.

The figure on the dark balcony was bat-like in appearance. The Batman had come for her, just like he had come for Al, and Antony, and Marco! She lifted the pistol and opened the sliding balcony door. Even the Batman was not worth putting bullets through her own balcony window and paying for its replacement.

"Don't shoot! I'm not who you think I am," the figure said reassuringly. "Can I come in?"

Marcia was taken aback at the figure's politeness, and at the fact that standing closer to her, it was obvious that this was not a man. It was a woman in a Batman-like costume.

"I guess so," Marcia said, stepping back and motioning the other woman to walk in with her pistol.

They stood in the light of the apartment's living room, and Marcia looked her visitor over.

"You're not here to kill me?"

"No," she said. "I'm here to protect you. I have a feeling someone is coming tonight to try to kill you, but I'm going to stop him. Will you let me protect you?"

Marcia thought it over. "Well, you know I had the feeling something like that was going to happen, too. If you want to stay here and help me stop him, I'm not going to send you away. Marco, Al, and Antony were all with me when we turned Joey in. His dad didn't believe us at first, but Marv showed him how profits from the shipping business we were running were going straight into Joey's research. The boss didn't like that, and he decided not to have us killed, even though we were being disloyal to his son. But now, it looks like he's got the Batman working for him."

Marcia was suddenly afraid. "Geez, I just told you just about everything about what the family was doing...I guess I want out or something or I wouldn't have told a total stranger." She sunk to the couch and put the gun down on her coffee table.

Batwoman stepped forward. "I don't think Batman is behind this, Marcia, and if you let me stay, we'll catch whoever is after you, and I can prove it. Now, just listen to me, because I have a plan..." A couple of hours later, another figure appeared on the apartment's balcony. The sliding door to the balcony opened, and a tall, caped figure walked in.

"The Bat has come for you, Marcia Black," he said. "And he has brought some friends."

At that moment five large trained bats flew in the window and perched around the room.

Marcia Black screamed and ran into the next room, just as she was supposed to.

From the balcony of the apartment beneath Marcia's, Batwoman fired a grappling line and used it to quickly climb up onto the balcony of the apartment above.

"Your days of tarnishing Batman's name are over, imposter," she said as the caped figure whirled to face her. His costume was not exactly the same as Batman's; his horns went more out from the side of his helm than the top, and his cape had a gliderlike quality, as if it could be used for flight.

"You look like the imposter to me, woman. Who are you, anyway?"

"I'm Batwoman!" she said and leapt into the apartment. With a somersaulting kick she landed a foot in the villain's jaw. He fell to the floor and ordered his bats to attack.

But Batwoman was prepared for this, and turned on a small high-frequency sound generator to confuse the bats. The bats were too disoriented to attack, so they fled the high-pitched sound and the apartment.

"My pets!" the villain said as he got up to prepare to fight.

He pulled the gun that shot Bat-shaped projectiles mobsters out of his holster and pointed it at Batwoman.

"You have found me out, young lady. I am not the Batman. I am Blackwing, the master of bats and the master of the night. But that's irrelevant to you, because your brief career ends here, Batwoman!"

Before Blackwing could fire, Batwoman threw a Batarang with a retractable line at him. Its programmed movement allowed it to circle around him and restrain him.

As Blackwing struggled, Batwoman gave him a fierce punch in the face that knocked him cold. Batwoman left Marcia Black's apartment, and Blackwing was supposed to have been delivered to the police. However, along the way to the police station, the squad car that was carrying Blackwing stopped, and Blackwing was transferred to another vehicle. If one had asked some of the homeless people who lived down by Gotham's docks, one would have heard about a bat-like costumed figure being dragged out of an Oldsmobile Cutlass, thrown to the ground, and beaten with bats and lead pipes, before being dragged away in that same Oldsmobile. But nobody bothered to ask them, so very few people would ever know this part of the story. And Blackwing never made it into the hands of the police. A few nights later, as Batwoman stood on a rooftop looking over the city she had now started to protect, she heard another figure alight on the rooftop close to her. It was the Batman.

He advanced toward her, and even though Batwoman had proved herself, she felt nervous about wearing a version of his costume.

But Batman put out his hand for Batwoman to shake.

"I heard about what you did. I was overseas fighting a foreign supervillain, so there was no way I could have stopped Blackwing." The grim avenger of the night seemed to crack a smile, something few had ever seen. "You've done a good job. Now that Blackwing has been brought to justice, people in Gotham don't think Batman is a killer anymore."

Batwoman was a little nervous. "You mean I can keep fighting crime like this?"

"It's not as though you need my blessing. You can use the name...I could use the help in a place like Gotham."

"Wheels in three," Batman said into his glove. From down the street came the sound of the Batmobile revving up and zooming toward them. Batman stood on the ledge of the building.

"Keep up the good work," he said. And with that, he jumped off the side of the building, his cape slowing his fall, until he landed gracefully next to the Batmobile. He clambered in, and the Batmobile zoomed away.

Batwoman stood looking over the city, wondering what adventure she would encounter next. Just then, a burglar alarm rang somewhere on the streets below. Batwoman swung into action again....

The Bat Files

BATMAN
Base of Operations: Gotham, borough of New York City
Ht: 6'1"
Wt: 185 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
First Appearance: Batman #1

Batman is the grim avenger of the night who protects Gotham, the toughest borough of New York City. His early life was marked by tragedy, one that drove him to become the protector of all who would be victimized by the scum of the earth.

Bruce and his parents, Thomas and Martha Wayne, had just gone out to see a revival of The Mask of Zorro with Tony Stark's parents and cousin Morgan. They were cornered in a dark alleyway by three mysterious figures, who first threatened them with guns and then killed everyone except for Bruce, who was left cowering over his parents' bodies. He was saved from certain death by Officer James Gordon, who happened to be walking by when the killings were happening. The killers fled when Gordon arrived. Gordon's heroic example had a great impression on young Bruce, who knew at that moment that his future would be dedicated to protecting other people.

Bruce went to live with his aunt and uncle, whose butler Alfred Pennyworth took care of the boy, to eventually become Bruce's own butler when his aunt and uncle passed away. He maintained a longtime friendship with Tony Stark, who was one of his classmates in the private academy to which they both went for high school. It was there that they both had their first encounter with a supervillain who was fleeing from the police, who tried to hide out at the academy. Bruce's detective and fighting skills and Tony's technical skills together helped them nab the villain and turn him over to the police.

As Bruce grew older, he grew away from his desire to become a policeman, and started to take over the day-to-day operations of his father's company, Wayne Enterprises. When he could get a break from work, Wayne traveled across the world, learning about new cultures and foreign martial arts. Meanwhile, the borough of Gotham was becoming more and more corrupt, and the police seemed to be powerless against a wave of crime and supervillain mayhem that was spreading across the borough. Wayne knew that he could not help stop this crime wave as a policeman, nor as an industrial magnate.

One cool night in winter, a bat flew into his window, seeking warmth in the cold night air. The bat seemed strong and mysterious, inspiring fear in the fearful, and able to rule the night by soaring in and making its presence known, and then flying away. Wayne knew that he would have to become someone other than himself to fight crime in Gotham, and the bat was an excellent symbol.

After a while, Batman became known as the terrifying but just protector of Gotham, and a great many of the criminals who once called the borough their home moved on to safer grounds. As Bruce gets older, his butler Alfred worries about Wayne's management of Wayne Enterprises and the fact that he has no current romantic involvement. But the Batman keeps on his quest for justice, sometimes with his youthful partner Robin, who has been becoming more of an independent crimefighter of late.

If you commit injustice or spread corruption in Gotham, beware the night and the Batman.

ROBIN
Chuck (Charles) Barnes
Base of Operations: Gotham, borough of New York City; Happy Harbor, Rhode Island - YJ HQ; and Manhattan, where he attends Empire State University
Ht: 5'9"
Wt: 145 lbs.
Eyes: Green
Hair: Black
First Appearance: Batman #3

Chuck Barnes is descended from James Buchanan (Bucky) Barnes, Captain America's heroic World War II sidekick. As Robin, he has proven to be just as heroic as his great uncle.

His parents, Brett and Susan Barnes, were both successful businesspeople, and leaders in the international Food Equals Peace organization. One day, when Chuck was twelve years old, they were attending an event at the United Nations Building in New York City. Suddenly, they and numerous UN delegates were taken hostage by Flag-Smasher and his henchmen.

Batman and Captain America arrived to take down the terrorists. Chuck was there, too, heroically sneaking hostages out of the building while the superheroes fought Flag-Smasher. Unfortunately, he saw his mother and father killed by Flag-Smasher, in an attempt by the villain to prove his ferocity and willingness to destroy all nations.

The distraught Chuck was left with his parents' finances to manage, and without any family on the North American continent. Batman took him in as his ward.

Under Batman's guidance, Chuck grew in detective and fighting skills, until he became an excellent crimefighter in his own right. Batman gave him the code name Robin, because of Chuck's exuberance and agility. Robin assisted Batman on numerous cases until he went to college at Empire State University, where he attends classes now. He is studying political science and criminal justice, with an eye toward a law degree in the future.

Robin often visits Wayne Manor and still assists Batman on various cases, including Batman's recent assault on Hammer Island, an attempt to bring in Justin Hammer for the deaths of hundreds of people in the Stark CleanJet disaster.

Robin is the de facto leader of Young Justice, although Red Tornado remains the watchful guardian of the group. Batman watches Robin's Young Justice activities closely, and is finding that more and more often he does not approve of his ward's decisions. Robin has not yet encountered Flag-Smasher, although he secretly works with Oracle, the ultimate provider of information, to track the terrorist villain down.

BATWOMAN
Barbara Gordon
Base of Operations: Gotham, borough of New York
Ht: 5'6"
Wt: 125 lbs.
Eyes: Green
Hair: Red
First Appearance: Batman #3 (cameo); #4 (full)

Little was known about the crimefighter Batwoman before she started fighting crime in Gotham. Armed with an arsenal of gadgets, a brilliant deductive mind, and strong detective skills, she has become a frequently useful ally to the Caped Crusader.

Barbara Gordon is a successful legal assistant in New York City and a loving daughter to her father, Commissioner James Gordon. She made her first appearance as Batwoman while Batman was away in the Middle East battling Ra's Al Ghul. A villain named Blackwing was going around Gotham killing off members of the Chinese and Russian mobs based there, wearing a costume and using gadgets very similar to Batman's. Barbara was a close follower of Batman's career, and had often snuck peeks into her father's files on the crimefighter. Someone had to stop the imposter.

Barbara created her own version of the Batman costume, and went out to stop Blackwing. She found out the next likely target of the villain, and found Blackwing as he was about to commit another murder. They fought, and Batwoman had to use her full array of gadgets and fighting skills to stop the villain.

After Batman returned from the Middle East, he found out about Batwoman's exploits, and contacted her. As of yet he does not know the young woman's true identity, but he trusts her enough to allow her access to the Batcave.

Recently, Batwoman aided Batman, Robin, and Iron Man in an assault on Hammer Island, in an attempt to bring Justin Hammer to justice for the Stark CleanJet disaster. With each supervillain she brings down, Batwoman increases her crimefighting experience and skill. She hopes one day to become an FBI agent, to use her legal skills for the United States government.

COMMISSIONER GORDON
James Gordon
Base of Operations: Gotham, borough of New York
Ht: 5'11"
Wt: 185 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Grey
First Appearance: Batman #6

Commissioner Gordon is one of the finest upholders of the law in Gotham and in the rest of the boroughs of New York City. He has worked for the New York Police Department since his graduation from high school, and has progressed from the patrolman's beat of Chinatown to the post of Police Commissioner.

He joined the New York Police Department at a time when the Gotham branch was inundated by corruption. His example led a number of brave policemen and policewomen to publicly expose the corruption of the leader of Gotham's precinct. Over time, Gordon took charge of the precinct, and was promoted again and again over the years.

His devotion to police work won him no love at home, as his wife Sarah grew tired of her husband's emphasis of work over family. After twelve years of marriage they divorced, and Jim took custody of his daughter Barbara, who is very much the image of her father at a younger age.

Gordon has recently made the acquaintance of the crimefighter Batman. He does not always approve of Batman's methods, but he admires the Dark Knight's tenacity and detective skills. When Gordon truly needs the Batman's help, he calls him with a special handheld Bat-signal that Batman gave to him after a case in which Gordon proved helpful to Batman.

Even though the Mayor of New York City is opposed to vigilantism, and wants the Super Unit Police to chase down the Batman, Gordon knows the usefulness of his ally. The only time he might go against the interests of the New York Police Department would be if he were told to bring the Batman in...and that time is coming soon.    

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

Yo @cbishop found some ancient history :)

It's not too bad

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1092

#3  Edited By cbishop
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Added to my FF Long Box - Authors. :) The story itself is not too bad, but it needs cleaning up. The paragraphs are a mess. The character bios I was just so-so about. A descendant of Bucky Barnes has even less reason to be Robin than Dick Grayson does.

However, I liked the somewhat blending of DC & Marvel, and the idea of Gotham being a borough of NYC, rather than a twin city. Blackwing isn't a terribly original name, but since it was applied to a character based on "The Bat" -a movie that clearly inspired Batman- I didn't really mind. It was a nice nod to history.

What made you did this out of the mothballs?

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By batkevin74

@cbishop: I had the idea that if I win another CCC, my plan will be go to the last page of the Fan Fic section and then minus your age. From that page you're on, you have rougly 20 choices to choose from, pick one and set a story in THAT universe. Gets some old stuff read and it may be fun. A bit of an experiment

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Not a bad writing experiment at all, but not for the CCC- it'd be like comparing apples to oranges. Now if everyone is adding to the same universe, then sure, but add in some kind of character creation to it, and then you're golden.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Well let's see if I win first, then we'll talk