#1 Posted by cbishop (15425 posts) - - Show Bio

Nevermind the argument that it would then be paid, professional work.

Do you know of any comics that have published stories that were originally on the 'net as fan fiction?

#2 Posted by TommytheHitman (6392 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm.

No nothing that I've ever heard of.

#3 Posted by RichGenX (973 posts) - - Show Bio

The danger of doing that is that legal battles might erupt. While fan fiction initially uses preexisting properties, it is the original characters that will cause the problem. If a comic company were to publish a story that was originally a fan-fiction, in any way, they will eliminate original characters as much as possible. There is one annual of Generation X that is a prime example of this. The Annual was an adaptation of the novel that was co-written by the one creator. The adaptation dropped an original character that was put in the story, as well as cut out a second story that was part of that novel.

#4 Posted by cbishop (15425 posts) - - Show Bio

@richgenx: The legal battle of it isn't the question. Just whether it's been done. If it has, then there's cause to define fan-fic as a concept in the wiki.

#5 Posted by RichGenX (973 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop: Anything that has unofficial stuff out that is being sold redefined fanfiction. Trust me, I've seen various things in the Amazon Fulfillment Centers that are unlicensed merchandise being sold. Take time to look up some books on Amazon, or even e-books. There are a few minecraft stories out there that I don't think is linked to Mojag.

#6 Posted by cbishop (15425 posts) - - Show Bio

@richgenx: But 1) Is that comics fanfic? and 2) It needs to be official. In other words, like one of the Image guys said, "Yeah, I'll publish this fanfic in the back pages of my comic," or Marvel said, "We're publishing this Spidey fanfic as a novel," or something like that.

I'm trying to come up with a solid reason to be able to add Fan Fiction to the wiki as a concept, because I think it should be defined in the same way Science Fiction and Pulp Fiction are defined in the wiki. The problem I'm foreseeing is that the concept would then have its own forum which would then be a Fan Fiction forum. I think that would cause the concept to encounter resistance without a solid reason for it to exist.

#7 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (2000 posts) - - Show Bio

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hayleycuccinello/2017/02/10/fifty-shades-of-green-how-fanfiction-went-from-dirty-little-secret-to-money-machine/#5b8a907f264c

#8 Edited by cbishop (15425 posts) - - Show Bio
@4donkeyjohnson said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hayleycuccinello/2017/02/10/fifty-shades-of-green-how-fanfiction-went-from-dirty-little-secret-to-money-machine/#5b8a907f264c

First, I don't know how you could read that site- the screen kept jumping, and pop-ups kept popping. I finally copy/pasted it to another window so I could read it uninterrupted. <sigh>

Second, it says nothing about comics fanfic being published by comic publishers. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the link. -cb