Anyone want to help me bring back Ultraverse in fanfic form?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

I know many of the younger site members don't even know what that is but if you ask I will gladly help educate you. I won't even start this project until I get at least 4 other writers on board so I'm just putting it out there for now but if you want feel free to use this as a sign up thread.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

What's the Ultraverse?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: It was a group of super hero books put out by Malibu comics in the early to mid 90s that was bought out by Marvel and subsequently buried by them. It had a lot of great ideas but was a victim of the times in which it was big.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No Caption Provided

@joshmightbe: Remember? I bought two copies of this so I could keep one in the black bag. Ahh the folly of the 90's! I will pass but I know who you're talking about, they originally had the name the Exiles before Marvel "stole" it :)

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Marvel pretty much destroyed it, I'm still hoping for an eventual Prime comeback.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@joshmightbe: Didn't Loki go to the Ultraverse or something dumb like that?

But Prime was an interesting concept, like Shazam but with alien goop :)

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

@batkevin74: I like to describe Prime as Captain Marvel and Venom tossed in a blender and mixed with a 2 liter of Mtn Dew.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Yes he looks like he was designed by a 12 year old but that's because he actually was a 12 year old and this is what he decided he should look like as a hero.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

The completely blank pages on Malibu and Ultraverse aren't helping. No, the heroes seemed to be thought out well enough but the villains are uninspiring.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1092

#12  Edited By cbishop

Ultraverse was going along so well before Marvel got hold of it. I was really sad they didn't at least integrate the characters into the Marvel U. Prototype as the guy who tests Stark's improvements? And lost an arm over it? Oh yeah, there's story there.

Solitaire was my favorite, because I had a character of the same name. Hated that the title didn't last at least another year.

Firepower seemed like Punisher-lite (as did New Universe's Merc), but they did some interesting things to promote the title and differentiate it a little.

Strangers and Freex were great team books. Mantra was a little weird, as mystical characters go, but it was okay. Rune was kind of a thing unto itself. And Sludge was like an urban Swamp Thing. Prime you pretty well covered, but it wasn't really my thing- I've never really liked heroes that are figuring their powers out as they go. I've probably forgotten something, but I was really loving this universe.

Unfortunately, when Marvel bought it, they milked it for everything it was worth, mixed the Ultraverse Exiles with Marvel characters, then transferred the team, title and all to Marvel, discarding the rest. It wasn't completely their fault though. They couldn't continue to publish and make money on Ultraverse- the contractual logistics were a nightmare. It would be nice if the creators involved would work it out, so the titles could return. They were great reads.

...Um <red faced> yeah, just dropping my two cents in. I really have no ideas for a fan-fic story. :/

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: you could create your own villains