Alternate History Tales: 1914

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By batkevin74

Here's what really happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Archduke_Franz_Ferdinand_of_Austria

No Caption Provided

“There is a group that seeks to kill you and bring down the Austro-Hungarian Empire,” said Dragutin Dimitrijević the Serbian colonel with the large moustache. “I know because I lead a cell of the Black Hand.”

“Why should I not just have you beheaded or shot?” snapped Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

“Because I tire of bloodshed your majesty” Dragutin said plainly. “I tried to overthrow the government ten years ago. I have plotted and planned assassinations and bombings across the continent but all it has done is cause death and fear with very little results. I come here to try diplomacy.”

“Telling me you wish me dead then wish to speak of peace is confusing, and disturbing,” the Archduke said.

“Your majesty, you plan to travel to Sarajevo to inspect troops in June, yes?”

The Archduke nodded. “How do you kn…”

“We know our enemy as well as ourselves,” Dragutin replied. “You were chosen because the Governor of Bosnia and Herzegovina…”

“Oskar Potiorek,”

“Was no longer an accessible target. You were chosen because of the impact and proximity. The Black Hand runs in small cells, each not knowing what the other is doing save for a few higher us like myself. If I reveal more I would have your word and it written, that those within the Black Hand be exiled instead of executed.”

“You ask a lot colonel.”

“How much is your life worth your majesty?” Dragutin responded. “My terms are simple.”

“Tell me more of this plot.”

Dragutin shook his head. “Until I get guarantees, I will say no more.”

Franz Ferdinand stared intently at the Serb before him, contemplating his offer. Slowly he rose from his throne and extended his hand. “You have my word and I will summon my clerk to draught up terms.”

__

“By the power vested in me by the throne of the Austro-Hungarian Empire; I sentence Gavrilo Princip, Nedjelko Čabrinović, Trifun Grabež, Vaso Čubrilović, Cvjetko Popović, Lazar Đukić, Danilo Ilić, Veljko Čubrilović and Nedjo Kerović to exile upon the island of Saint Helena for a period of no less than twenty-five years. They will have the freedom to live and work upon the island but are forbidden under penalty of death to leave the island until 1939.”

“For his crimes against the crown and the State, Dragutin Dimitrijević, will be executed by hanging this coming Sunday.”

“BASTARDS!” Dragutin leaped up from the dock and tried to attack the judge only to be restrained by several bailiffs. “YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR TREASON FERDINAND! YOU GODLESS SON OF A GOAT MERCHANT!”

__

Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie stepped off the train to be greeted by Governor Oskar Potiorek at Sarajevo station.

“I trust you had a pleasant journey your majesties?” The Governor bowed.

“I trust all the security arrangements have been made?” The Archduke asked taking his wife by the elbow and proceeding to the cars waiting for them.

“Oh yes! General Michael von Appel has lined the route with troops, much to the disgust of the local citizenry but nothing more than some terse words,” The Governor said. “You and your lovely wife will be in car number four with two of my police officers. You will be inspecting a barracks at ten and then we will head to the town hall for tea. Does that suit?”

To be continued...maybe

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BlueEcho

@batkevin74: Interesting, but World War I still probably would have happened.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Perhaps, but the buildup of arms was such that they had to be used for something and with the shortening of the colonial reaches of empires (or the overlap of these reaches) it meant that there was very little room to go. At the same time, the alliance system meant that any small conflict would likely turn into a large war. With military planners already formulating ideas for battle (the Schlieffen Plan) it was likely that the war itself was going to play out more or less the same way, with the race to the sea and the trench warfare system. WWI was likely inevitable not even as late as the 1920s, it was probably going to happen within months of its actual outbreak, Gavril Princip or not.

What might not have happened was other events such as the Spanish Influenza outbreak.

As an aside though, Gavril Princip makes an excellent choice for a game of twenty questions. He is hard to guess

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bumped

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers