Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TommytheHitman

Indigo City

"Well at least your hearing's back to normal."

It's been 7 hours since I teleported into my bed and shut my eyes completely (and firmly) shut. Since then I've woken up to the sound of the neighbours the next floor down going at it. To be honest it's not the best start to the morning. So a few Pwops later and Daisy feels inclined to point out that I'm naked. That's right... my costume got torn up by that Drug guy last night. To be honest it's kind of annoying. I went to ALL that effort with the costume and it gets torn up after one night of action.

"Yeah I guess." I mutter. Snipes grins at me from across the room. He was the one who got me the Costume, the first time. So it makes sense that he's the one who can get me another. Too bad it was Daisy that pointed it out. "So... Snipes." I say calmly. "Think you can get me another outfit?"

"You mean Superhero Costume?" Jacka$$. Probably why we're friends. I should probably get around to explaining that someday... ah well. It didn't take me long to find Snipes, partially because he was at the exact same place he'd been the last time. Heh. He was so surprised... pulled a knife on me. He seemed drunk... which is understandable I guess. Living is stressful right now... at any moment a Carrier (like me) could smash through the wall of your house (or box in Snipes' case) and destroy everything you hold dear.

"Yes Snipes." I say in a mocking tone. "A SUPERHERO costume!"

"Well tough sh!t." He says in his normally gruff tone. He pulls a small piece of bread from his filthy pocket and tosses it nearby for the pigeons. The pigeon glances at it before flying away, guess it knows where it's been. "I don't work for that guy no more. One time thing." Oh god he's rambling. "Limited offer. Expiring warranty. No mor-"

"Can you get in contact with him?" I interrupt. It seems rude, but if I let him carry on I could be here for hours... and to be honest the alleyway's kinda dirty in the first place.

"Wadda you want a new costume for anyway?" He asks. "Didn't peg you for the vigilante type."

I pause and try to think of a suitable answer. "Well..." Another pause. Running smooth so far. "...I kinda enjoyed it." Snipes smiles at me slightly.

"Sorry pal. There ain't nothin' I can d-" He stops when he hears the sound of footsteps nearby.

"Are you Marcus Brooks?" A thin looking kid asks. He's carrying a duffel bag over his shoulder and seems nervous. Which is again... understandable. I'd be scared of Snipes too if I didn't know that he was as useless as a Double Decker couch.

"Sure am." I reply. Snipes stares at the kid with paranoid eyes. "Got something for me?" I ask. The kid nods before passing the bag over.

"Was told to give you this." The kid says. "Boss says... 'he's sorry if it's a bit too big. It wasn't made for YOU'."

I pause just before completely opening the bag. "Who was it made for?" I ask. The kid shrugs and starts to walk away. His job's done, I guess. "Well that was rude." I mutter to Snipes.

"Gonna try the thing on?" He nods towards the bag. Don't see a reason why not. I plant the bag on the floor and pull the costume out. As I start to put the thing on I realize a few major problems with the thing. It is a few sizes too big... then again nothing that the ol' toilet paper idea can't fix.

"What do you think?" I ask before pulling a pose. Snipes seems impressed.

No Caption Provided

I don't think it really works...

Several Hours Later...

Nope. Definitely doesn't work, the moment I kick the burning door down is the moment I ditch the trench coat. Why? Well because it lights on fire of course! So I was patrolling across the rooftops like last night. I'm pretty much completely back to normal now. Only major difference is that I've now got a weird twitch in my leg... and even that seems to be fading. After a few minutes I start to hear the sound of sirens. A few blocks away an apartment building's on fire. No idea how it got like that... to be honest you never really think of that kinda thing happening anymore. So I teleport to street level and ask if there's anything I can do. One of the women there starts to cry and tells me her kids are stuck up there. So with a PWOP I teleport inside.

"HELLO?!" I shout as loud as I can. The burning trench coat lying on the floor nearby. Problem is the fire is causing so much noise I can't tell where the kids are. Which isn't helping. "HELLO?!" I shout again. Still no response.

PWOP!

I teleport across the room to a nearby closet. It's a cliche hiding spot... but there's a chance they could be in there. Sadly I'm mistaken... all that's left in the closet are a few moth balls and a pair of rats curled up in the corner. I teleport the two of them out of the building. Doesn't seem fair to just leave them. I'm just about to teleport to the next floor up when I hear them.

"Help!" A small voice rings. It doesn't help me pinpoint their position but it tells me that they're nearby.

"Where are you?!" I shout. As quickly as I can I pop a few teleportation portals into different portals and peer through them. It's exhausting doing things like that... but to be honest it's exhausting running across buildings at night. The kids are in one of the apartments nearby. With a quick teleport I appear in the room on top of a thrown over table. The kids are crouched down against the wall cowering. One boy and one girl. The girl has something resembling a piece of wood lying atop of her leg. "Hi!" I shout down at them in the most cheerful voice I can muster. The boy looks up at me. "Don't worry I'm here to he-" Then it occurs to me... why am I wasting time talking to them when I could just get them out of this place?

"Are... are you Batman?" The girl asks with confusion. Poor thing looks like she's been crying. I open a portal up around her body, carefully separating her from the beam. Her brother joins her.

"Sure kid. I'm Batman."

PWOP!

Together we reappear on the street. The kids at my side... and me covered in ash. The crowd gasps at me in surprise as a pair of Nurses run over to help the girl.

"Hey..." I mutter before coughing. That's when I notice the News Crew nearby. "...I think..." Something witty to spice things up. Strangely enough there aren't any CBTF sirens nearby. "...I think the Kids are out..." One of the News Crew walks over to me with their Camera Man.

"This is Deborah Dane reporting live for Channel 6 Action News." What kind of name is Deborah Dane? "Sir. You've just rescued two children... and from what I've heard you were very active last night as well." She pauses for a moment as if she's catching her breath. "Do you have any comments?"

Well this is kinda cool I guess. I brush the ash neatly from my body and straighten up.

"My name... is Wind Duster." Good start. "And I'm the World's Greatest Superhe-"

And of course that's when my body passes out from the smoke.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Bacl links. Gonna keep saying it till it sinks in. Or at least link the library.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774:

Adding links to a previous chapter or to a group library is an old trick.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending kills whatever negative I've said before. That was a great ending.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine

Wait... which Humanizing part are you referring to?

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine

Ah yes. My favorite part of the series so far. Originally I was going to have him teleport away like a bada$$... but then I was like "...No. Not for Mark."

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By batkevin74  Online

@tommythehitman: He's Midnighter now? Rest of the story is pretty god, will reference Wind Duster in Quoll 3 coming soon

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 batkevin74  Online
TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TommytheHitman

@batkevin74: The Midnighter thing is a reference to Alexander Wolffe as he was also given a costume but turned it down. Deborah Dane is NOT related to Summer!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 batkevin74  Online

Bumped

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@tommythehitman: Finished.

Loved it as usual. I caught the Lego Movie reference ("useless as a Double Decker couch."). Made me smile.

Liked how you played off the costume thing. And now I know who that Deborah lady you were talking about is.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 batkevin74  Online

"Sure kid. I'm Batman."

Bumped

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tommythehitman: Any moment someone asks if you're Batman, you tell them you're Batman. Simple as that. Great chapter

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RedHood13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sure kid. I'm Batman.

No Caption Provided

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhood13: Mark probably felt he was a badass upon saying that.