5th Column Comics: Wind Duster #16

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TommytheHitman

Thursday, 11:49 PM, CBTF Headquarters, Director Pfeifer's Office.

I'm starting to think that Pfeifer doesn't like me very much. Maybe it's because of the fact that in the 24 hours that I've been 'working' for his organization I've already broken several laws in an unsanctioned assault on a world renowned genius without his permission... or maybe it's because of the fact that my sunny personality is constantly interrupting his work. OR it might just be because of the fact I teleported a fat, balding naked man right in front of him in the middle of an apparently important meeting. Whichever reason it is it's clear he's currently reconsidering his 'genius' idea to draft a popular public superhero into his Enforcement division.

"So..." Pfeifer leans back in his arm chair with a cold stare directly into my eyes. Garrison has been taken away by several CBTF Soldiers to a holding cell while we try to sort this debacle out. "Richard Garrison, Mark. Who is he? What did he do to you and why the hell did you think it was a good idea to bring him to me?" His cold gaze continues and for a second I'm tempted to just teleport out of his sight.

"Richard Garrison's one of the scientists that was behind the whole Concentration Camp research thing." I tell him. Feels like this is the tenth time I've gone through this today... "He helped perform lethal experiments on my wife. And is one of the reasons why she died."

"And who told you this?" Pfeifer asks me. His expression doesn't seem to change in the slightest. He seems to be calculating every single word I'm saying and processing it at 100% efficiency. "I doubt you learned this on your own."

"...I don't know." I admit. It's been almost 3 months since I first got that phone call from that goddamn mysterious voice. The man gave me the list of names of all the monsters that hurt my wife. Yet even then it was through indirect means. He got Snipes to give me my costume. I still have no idea what he looks like, what his name is... or why he even cares about any of this.

"Then how do you know he killed your wife?" Pfeifer asks me.

Wolffe's my evidence on that one. "I have... a 'friend'." I say with a small grin. It's like something out of a cheesy action movie. "Someone who-" I pause for a second. Probably not the best idea to let the head of the CBTF know that I've been working with a psychotic Carrier. "-someone who can guess things that others may not be able to."

Pfeifer's eyebrow twitches. "How do you know he wasn't lying to you?" He asks. "For all you know, the two of them could have an ulterior motive against Garrison and want you to do their dirty work for them."

"I just know!" I yell catching the Director by surprise. "Okay?! The second I saw that man I KNEW that he was the cause of my wife's death! Okay?!" I slink into my seat.

Pfeifer is silent for a moment. His eyes turn towards the desk and he takes a deep breath before thinking. "...I'll run some research into this." He mutters. "And if what you're saying is correct..." He stands up and walks towards his office's door. "...I'll see what I can do." He says before pulling it open. A gesture to let me know it's time to leave.

"Thanks." I mutter before walking through the door frame to leave. Pfeifer stops me just before I've left the room entirely.

"And Mark..." He whispers. "You've been on my payroll for 24 hours and you're causing trouble already." He leans close to my ear. "You're going to have to pay me off big time." He tells me.

I have no idea what the hell he's talking about. I hope to god I don't find out.

It's around half a second or so later when I finally arrive back at my apartment. And by that time I'm completely exhausted from my night's misadventures. Even more so then my first encounter with that Assassin ages ago. It takes me a minute or two to realize it's probably due to the amount of teleporting I did when I stormed the Indigo Prime hotel, all this information is running through my head as I step through my window from my building's fire escape and it almost causes me to miss the scene before me. By this point I'm fighting to stay conscious.

"What. The. Hell?!" I shout in surprise. Scattered all across my apartment are the sleeping bodies of Snipes, Daisy and Wolffe. Certainly not what I expected to return to, definitely not how I wanted my day to end. Wolffe is asleep on the settee, Snipes is in the kitchen passed out with a bottle of alcohol in his hand, Daisy is curled up on the carpet underneath the TV, from what I can see the cartoon character known as Demon Dog is blazing silently on the screen. "...goddamn it..." I mutter before collapsing onto the settee cushion right next to Alex. The last thing that flashes through my mind is that I'm sleeping next to a man that was trying to kill me over an hour ago.

Ah well.

The second my eyes open I wish I could close them again. My whole body aches... more then the time when I picked a fight with that psychopathic Carrier drug dealer. It's at that point when I realize I'm no longer on my settee... and instead I'm in my bed. Not wearing my costume and instead I'm mostly naked.

MOSTLY.

"....Daisy?!" I yell at the top of my lungs. The door to my bedroom opens and I see the top half of my daughter's head running into the room.

"Yes, Dad?" She asks, a small smile on her face. She already knows what I'm going to say... "What's wrong?"

"....why am I wearing a nappy?" I ask her. She rolls her eyes and leans towards me.

"You've been asleep for hours, dad." I glance at the clock on my right and realize she's right. "It was Snipes' idea... what else were we supposed to do? You were in a coma!"

I sit up in bed knocking the cover to the ground before standing up and towering over my daughter. "For god's sake Daisy! I was up late last night! Just because I've had a bit of a lie in doesn't me-" I pause for a second, a thought enters my brain and I realize I'm missing something very important. "...where's Wolffe?" I ask her. "...If I even want to know." I add at the end. Daisy shrugs slightly. "Don't shrug." I tell her before she can answer. Her eyes roll once again.

"He said he had to go." She mutters. "After he answered the phone. He said goodbye and flew out the window after helping to put you in bed."

"But where would he..." Uh oh. As soon as the words have left my mouth I've realized exactly where Wolffe has gone. I dash past Daisy and jump into the living room before grabbing the TV remote and switching the thing on. Surprisingly Demon Dog is still on the screen, Daisy's eyes flash right open and a small smile spreads across her face, the smile disappears as soon as I cut to the first news channel I can think of.

"-while CBTF officials are refusing to comment on the current situation, sources within the organization can confirm that the believed victim is a man known as Richard Garrison who was believed to be kidnapped the previous night. For those of you who are just joining us, Garrison was discovered earlier this morning without his head."

Oh crap.

"This is causing many people to wonder about the apparent coincidence that Garrison was kidnapped at a public event only to be murdered mere hours later."

"Oh crap." I mutter under my breath. Daisy is lying on the settee behind me. For a second I wonder where Snipes is... before seeing him sprawled out on the carpet, yet more alcohol in his hand. "Oh CRAP!" I shout.

"What's wrong?" Daisy asks me, a look of surprise in her eyes.

"I didn't mean for him to die!" I stop myself. That's not entirely true.

"Why?" I hear Daisy's voice say. "Isn't he one of the people that kil-"

RRRRRRRIIIIINNNGGGGG!!!!

The sound of the phone going off almost causes me to jump out of my skin. There's only one person that could be phoning me right now. I glare at Daisy and put a finger over my mouth to tell her to kindly shut up before plucking the phone up and putting it to my ear.

"...hello?" I wince slightly.

"Mark." The voice of Pfeifer rings into my ears. "You're a bigger headache then I thought."

"I'm well aware of that." I mutter.

"Now I've got half of the freaking internet in an uproar. Claiming this was a CBTF assassination. The other half is saying the same thing however they're saying we did the right thing."

"Well... well look Pfeifer. I didn't know th-"

"You didn't know that your friend was going to charge right into the CBTF Headquarters and kill this man?" He asks in a rhetorical tone.

"I really didn't." I mutter. An awkward silence follows for a second... Daisy stares at me as though she's trying to listen to what I'm saying. "...did you... extract the information from him?" I ask before wincing slightly.

"I did actually." He admits. "He admitted to everything... and he's terrified of YOU, Mark. Or he was anyway."

"That's good." I mutter. I wait for Pfeifer to continue. When he doesn't I prepare to slam the phone back to the machine however before I get the chance Pfeifer decides to say one last thing.

"This company you're keeping, Mark. The guy that killed Garrison... watch your back."

I switch the phone off and back away from it slightly.

All in all I would say that went pretty well.

Special Thanks to @TheDeathstroker for allowing this thing to happen.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@tommythehitman: Hmm looks like Indigo has become a land ruled by the Darwinian concept of kill or be killed

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like this. Is this The end of you guys' collaboration?

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh I was hoping for a few more chapters

Avatar image for alexander_wolffe
Alexander_Wolffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Like I said in the PM, excellent issue. It's been great collab'ing with you. Couldn't have had more fun on my first fanfic. Great job..... But you forgot one of the other things I said in the PM (Pfiefer saying both when he only knows of one) :P

@cbishop said:

@tommythehitman: @The_Deathstroker: Dang, this was a pretty nice issue too. This crossover you two cooked up was very well done. Very impressed you guys. Very.

Thanks, cb. Means a lot. Truly, it does. Thanks for reading it all too! Lol.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexander_wolffe: Not a problem, and I'm with @johnjo719- I think you two should find a way to write together more, because this was really good.

Avatar image for alexander_wolffe
Alexander_Wolffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop said:

@alexander_wolffe: Not a problem, and I'm with @johnjo719- I think you two should find a way to write together more, because this was really good.

D'aw, you're killing me, cb (and JonJo :P). Thanks guys. And I'm pretty sure (as in like 95%) that Tommy and I will work together in 5CC again considering we still have more concepts planned in the distant future, and there is something coming up that I don't want to comment on much without Tommy's approval that should have a little reuniting of the characters even if we aren't both working on it.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@tommythehitman: Oh yeah Mark, that went very well. Loving the little bits of stuff we're getting about the CBTF, some more human stuff and not a bunch of nameless soldiers that hunt Carriers