5th Column Comics: Wind Duster #14

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

The figure before me is easily twice my size. The mixture of shaggy hair, bulky body and killer eyes would usually be enough to dissuade me from being in the same room as him... but that's not really an option right now. I grip him by the neck catching him by surprise and knock him against the stairway entrance leading to my apartment building.

"What did you just say?!" I growl at him, my throat hurts a bit since I'm not really used to talking that deep... but right now I couldn't care less. My arm is pressed up against the guy's neck and he still looks like he could tear me apart in a few seconds... but I get the feeling he isn't going too.

"Your wife." He says trying to hide the anger in his voice, if he wanted to tear me apart he would have done it by now. "I was there when she died." Before I can say a damn thing his hand presses up against my forehead and I feel a rush of memories entering my mind. Things dashing into my brain so quickly I can barely even comprehend them. In surprise I step back and almost trip over my own two feet like a drunken idiot.

Mary... she died in the camps like I was told... but she was much more then one of those expendable test subjects they used... much more then just that...

"Your wife died..." Alexander Wolffe growls as he steps towards me, his hand reaches out and grips my wrist firmly before effortlessly yanking me up off the ground. "...so that her species could be free." I feel a shiver run down my spine. "She was the bravest person I've ever known... and you are the exact opposite of that." The rush of emotion is almost too much for me, I pull my costume's hood back a bit too firmly and accidentally tear the back of it slightly... but I don't care. Instead I choke down the tears and instead let something else take its place.

Rage.

"Are you going to be alright?" Wolffe asks, he seems to be asking more for his own benefit then my own... doesn't want to seem like an asshole to the guy that just helped him out of a sticky situation I guess.

"Come on." I tell him, shaking myself slightly. "You're coming with me."

"Why?" I hear him ask as I step into the stairwell.

"Because you're going to tell my daughter what happened to her mother."

"Okay now, Alex." I whisper as we stand outside my apartment door, me in my costume and Wolffe in his torn to shreds tuxedo. "...try to be gentle with her." I tell him.

"I told you not to call me that." He mutters. "Alex to my friends." He glares at me sternly. "And I don't know what to make of you." Other then me smashing a chair over his head earlier, this whole 'superhero team up' thing isn't going too well.

"Yeah... well..." I pull my keys out of my pocket and move to insert them into the hole before realizing the door's swinging open. I fall to the ground and land on the soft brown carpet before glancing up to see my daughter staring down at me. "...I don't care." I finish, Wolffe snorts slightly before stepping into the door frame where Daisy can see him clearly.

"Dad..." She mutters taking a step back. I stand up slowly and place the keys back in my pocket. "Who's this?" I know what she's thinking. One of the Assassins again... Alex crouches down towards calmly as I walk towards the living room, from the look on his face he seems to be telepathically scanning her mind for any vital bits of information he might need.

"Hello." He says with the utmost confidence in his voice, I plop down on the settee next to a heap of dirty clothes... and an idiot lying beneath them. "Your name's Daisy right?" He asks as I pull my costume's hood back and let out a large sigh.

"Yes..." Daisy mutters as Alex smiles slightly. "That's my name... what's yours?" Wolffe seems to hesitate before answering.

"Alex." He says. "You can call me Alex." An uncomfortable silence follows for a few seconds. "And I have something very important to tell you." He continues, Daisy glances at me for approval. I nod at her giving my permission. She needs to know what happened to her mother... Wolffe plants his hand on her head gently a moment before the pupils in his eyes disappear into nothing. A second later and his eyes are back to normal, I hear a small noise coming from the hall where they're standing and realize it's Daisy trying to fight hold back her tears. She reaches forward and grips Wolffe in a huge hug he seems surprised for a second before slowly patting the girl on her back.

"Your mother..." Alex says gently. "...was the bravest person I've ever met." He glances at me for approval, I give him the thumbs up. "And she died..." I begin shaking my head violently. He's taking it a bit too far. "...so that your people could be free." Daisy looks at him with confusion. "The last thing she ever said to me w-"

"She's not a Carrier." I point out. "Just a normal girl. No powers t-"

"Yes she is." Wolffe says.

"What?"

"I can sense it in her. The power in her body i-" He begins to explain only to stop upon noticing Daisy walking into the living room towards me.

"I..." Daisy stares at me with a look of pure sadness on her face. "Dad?"

"Yes baby girl?" I ask. She walks towards me slowly, a tear beginning to form in her eye.

"Can I have a hug?"

"Of course you can Daisy bais..." She rushes into my arms and we both crush each other with love, both caught up in the events of the evening... and tears begin to run down both of our cheeks. "..of course you can." I hope to god Alex isn't laughing in the background.

Several minutes later and Daisy's in bed trying to get to sleep. The old bag of rubbish lying on my apartment's furniture is snoring away behind me, Wolffe doesn't seem to be that impressed by him however he doesn't say anything. He turns towards me as I walk into the room, back into normal clothes.

"So..." I mutter. "What happens now?"

"I'm going to find Garrison." He tells me, a mean glint in his eyes. "And I'm going to kill him, like I planned to."

"If I may interrupt." A voice echoed out of the phone on the living room table. The exact same voice from the previous night that told me where Garrison was going to be in the first place. "I may be able to assist with that."

Wolffe glares at me for a moment. "You're working with him?" He asks, his voice growing dark.

"Of course he is." The voice continues. "I mentioned that there would be others going after your target... anyway it was my mistake failing to inform you that you would both be chasing the same target... a complete and utter mistake. HOWEVER now that you two have finally met you c-"

"Get to the point." I tell him. "I'm not in the mood tonight."

"...Richard Garrison is currently living in the 6th Room of the 7th Floor of the Indigo Prime Hotel. He's staying there at this very moment."

"And what do you want us to do about it?" I ask. I'm really not in the mood for this anymore... what can I say? It's been a crap night.

"It's pretty simple really. Kill him."

"That's what I was planning to do in the first place." Wolffe grumbles as he pulls a wood splinter out of his leg and tosses it aside.

"Brilliant then!" The voice sounds pretty cheerful now. "Wolffe can be the one to go kill the monster and get revenge for all the people that this sick ba$tard has murdered."

I know what I have to do. Wolffe seems fine with the current state this whole ordeal's going through, but I've got a feeling he won't be in a second.

"That sounds pretty fine." I mutter. Wolffe raises an eye at me, he's looked through my mind. He knows how I think... in fact he's probably onto what I'm thinking right now. "But there's just one thing...."

"And what's that?" Alex asks, a frown slowly appearing upon his face, knowing what I'm about to say.

"I'm going to be the one to kill Garrison." I tell him. "Alone."

And I'm going to enjoy it too.

To be continued.

Edits made by The_Deathstroker

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Oh so Daisy is an Omega Class Carrier interesting.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@tommythehitman: Other then me smashing a chair over his head earlier, THAN its a instead of e

Daisy has powers...I was hoping she was normal. Like Lian Harper in DC. Let's hope Wolffe is wrong.

Good chapter

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: OH GOD you're going to make her an alien! I have that horrible feeling...

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@tommythehitman: <Sigh> Why must everyone in Indigo City be a Carrier, Blight or an Alien. Seems to be no love for the baseline humans

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@tommythehitman: Good chapter. And pish posh on Batkev' & Imp' - I'd figured Daisy was a carrier from the start. She was too freakin' smart. :)

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tommythehitman: Pretty good chapter, excited to see what happens next since I've read the Wolffe part of this story