5th Column Comics: Wind Duster #11

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TommytheHitman

It's been two hours since I woke up from my coma, thankfully my legs came back to life shortly after the first hour had passed.

"This is the Carrier Defense and Research area." The Director of the CBTF Morris Pfeifer says as he marches along in front of me, we enter a large room filled with thousands of devices under construction. Each one looking increasingly dangerous and most looking like they're capable of drilling a hole through the entire planet. A couple of the Scientists and Engineers currently working give me a dirty look before going back to their work. "Don't mind them." Pfifer says as they continue fusing what looks like a missile launcher to a Robotic Arm. "Some people took the Great Impact more personally then others."

"And what about you?" I ask him. "You're the Director of these Witch Hunters, Pfeifer. Why would you want someone like ME working for you?"

"I don't hate Carriers Mark." He tells me. "Quite the opposite actually, a Carrier saved my life during the Great Impact." He pauses for a moment as if he's remembering a bad memory. "If it were up to me..." He continues. "I'd make it so that the CBTF was non existent."

"It IS up to you." I point out to him.

"No it's not. When the General Public no longer wants the CBTF around, the CBTF will be nothing more then a bad memory. But at the moment the public is terrified of you. Your kind of chaos is something we never thought was possible, you simply can't expect people to adjust to that so quickly."

Damnit he's got a point. Granted people like Snipes and Daisy understand that Carriers are still people and prone to Human problems... but to the average Joe we must seem like Monsters that could kill everyone at any moment.

"So the reason I want you to work for us Mark..." He says interrupting my train of thought. "...is because I LIKE you. The Police seem to like you and most importantly the Public likes you. And that is something the CBTF will need if we're going to help stop the fear that the Great Impact has created." He pulls a flask from his utility belt and takes a swig of something red. "That... is why we need you Mark. We need you to be someone that People can look up too."

"Where's my Daughter?" My voice growing cold, from the look on Pfifer's face he knows his words are having an effect on me. He's doing his job well... "What have you done with Daisy?" I ask him.

"She's safe. We've enrolled her in the newly reopened Midtown Elementary School, she's staying at your refurnished apartment with a team of Officers watching her 24/7 in case those Assassins you've pi$$ed off decide to pay her a visit. Security for your Daughter and you haven't even accepted the job, I assure you Mark if you sign up for this position I'm offering you'll receive many benefits. I'll personally make sure you receive a new costume, monthly payche-"

"I don't care." I lie. That Paycheck sounds pretty good. "I want to talk to her. For all I know you're lying to me right now and she's got a gun pointed to her skull." The thought of Daisy being tied to a chair with a team of Mercenaries threatening her life is enough to make me furious. "If you've hurt my Daughter in any way I swear I'll kill you and everyone in this building."

"That doesn't seem like you, Mark." He comments. Guy's trying to be a Smartarse. "You've never killed before and I highly doubt y-"

"You'd be surprised what a Parent will do if someone's threatening their child."

Pfifer pulls a Mobile from his pocket and hands it over. "Fine." He says. "Talk to her."

"Talking to her over the phone isn't what I had in mind." I tell him. "Somewhere up close and personal would be better."

"It's all you're getting until you accept our terms."

"You can't stop me from teleporting out of here." I point out. Then it hits me... when I woke up there was a Syringe right by my bed... the second they brought me into their goddamn Hospital they must have realized I wasn't filled with Markers. Markers are little devices that were injected into the Carriers during the Blight War. Since I didn't take place in the Blight War they never got the chance to place them inside me... now they'll be able to tell where I am at any moment in time. Pfeifer must have left the Syringe there just to let me know... just so I would know there's no way out of this.

"I can." He says. "And if you somehow manage to get out of here I will call up that Reporter Deborah Dane or one of those Fan Sites you have and let them know Mark Brooks likes to Cosplay as a Certain Vigilante on his nights out." He takes another drink from his Flask. He's got me outfoxed in every corner. "These Assassins Mark... I'm more dangerous then every last one of them. Do you want to know why?" He takes one last sip before screwing the lid back on and doesn't wait for me to reply to his question. "It's because I've got something they haven't. I take things Personally." He places the Flash back into his belt before patting me on the Shoulder. "Now please... phone your Daughter."

I do as he says, dialing the number in while Pfeifer watches me carefully. I'm trapped in his territory now, for all I know he could have a thousand machine guns locked on my chest and I could be none the wiser. The phone rings for a few seconds before being picked up.

"Hello?" The voice of my Baby Girl echoes over the phone.

"Daisy, it's... it's your Father." I've missed her. In my mind I've only been gone for a few hours, but to her I've been gone for over a Month. Being unconscious will do that to you. "How... how are you doing honey?" Before I can hear her answer static begins to fill my ears. "Daisy?" After a few seconds the static stops and is replaced by an eerie silence. "...hello?" I say cautiously into the speaker.

"Hello."A distorted voice responds. "I'm deeply sorry for interrupting your heart to heart with your daughter... but time is of the essence and this is the only way I'll be able to contact you in time. Frankly I'm lucky you were able to wake up in time."

"Who is this?" I ask, part of me already knows.

"The first name on your List, Richard Quill Garrison, one of your Wife's murderers is attending a banquet at Donna Tori's Mansion. He's the one she's currently using for exercise. The banquet takes place tomorrow night at 10. Feel free to do with this information as you will, however if you choose not to act on this other people may choose to act for you."The phone goes dead sending a hollow ringing through my ears. I pass the phone back to Pfifer. The List.... I'd forgotten all about it.

"Wrong number?" He asks, I nod at him slowly.

"If... if I work for you Pfeifer... what will I be doing?" He smirks slightly before shoving the phone in his pocket.

"The same as you were doing before, fight crime, save lives... only now you'll give the CBTF a few kind words as well as helping us out when we ask for it."

Slowly... reluctantly I hold my hand out to shake on it. "It doesn't seem like I have much of a choice." I mutter. He grips my hand with his own.

"There's always a choice Mark." He tells me. "Right and Wrong. In this case I think you've made the Right one."

I'm left wondering if that's true.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@tommythehitman: Hmm the CBTF huh. Nope don't trust them and now they have their hooks in Wind Duster. Not good

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Love this development! Sounds like Wind Duster is going to have his hands full for a bit huh?

Also, him working for the CBTF could Be interesting as there's a jailbreak going on....

Avatar image for alexander_wolffe
Alexander_Wolffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Alexander_Wolffe

Very interesting. This working relationship could cause for some serious strife between Mark and I if I ever found out about it. :P

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@tommythehitman: He takes things....personally! I do look forward to Pfeiffer and The Quoll meeting one day :)

Good chapter, nice progression and a mystery phone call. Cool!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#9  Edited By cbishop

It's been two hours since I woke up from my come, thankfully my legs came back to life shortly after the first hour had passed.

Pretty sure you meant "coma." Otherwise, this is an entirely unexpected opener. =^O

Added to the 5th Column Comics Library. :)

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@tommythehitman: Awesome chapter, glad that we're getting some more info on the CBTF

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to have to go back through this series and edit all my typos and capital letter mistakes...