5th Column Comics: Heat Seeker #5

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

No Caption Provided

#0 http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/5th-column-comics-heat-seeker-0-1585749/

#1 http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/5th-column-comics-heat-seeker-1-1590148/

#2 http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/5th-column-comics-heat-seeker-2-1595137/

#3 http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/5th-column-comics-heat-seeker-3-1689166/#4/

#4 http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/5th-column-comics-heat-seeker-4-1689357/#13

“You have a job for me? How about you stick your job all the way up your ass!” I stand up, contemplating whether I coat this guy in coffee.

“You can either sit down or I’ll knock you down.”

I look at the underling who if I had my powers I could take but since I’m just me, I slowly sit down.

“Good dog,” he sneers.

I can’t help myself as I launch forward and grab his cheeks and twist his head “Call me a dog again! Go on!”

Quick as a flash he breaks the hold and whumps me in the stomach. I double over in pain; I’m still not recove…

BZZT!

I hit the floor, shaking like dropped jelly. The underling stands over me, grabs me by the face as if I’m a basketball, and marches outside with me and tosses me into the gutter like a bag of garbage. As I try to get up he kicks me a few times.

“Stupid round eye ^%$#!” he yells before spitting on me. Some woman points a cell phone at as and he snatches the phone and gives her a smack in the mouth for good measure. I start to get up and he walks over, picks me up under his arm and whisks away into an alley. “We talk, you listen! We point, you do!”

I barely hear the words through the beating. He’s all knees and knuckles and spit.

“Or what? You’ll shock me?”

He smiles, kicks me again and unzips his pants. “There are things worse than getting shocked.”

“Whoa! Hey! Back the ^%$# up!” I scurry away but it’s not far until I hit a brick wall, trapped between it and this guy who’s possibly going to… “STOP! Alright!”

He grabs me by the hair and drags me to my feet, I feel like a kitten caught by its mother. “First and only free pass,” he says. “Understand?”

“Settl…”

He cracks the back of my head against the wall “UNDERSTAND?”

“Yes!” You made the list you sack of %$#! Probably in first place now.

“You rob a Indicum National, today!” he says before throwing me to the floor. “You have until 5pm.” And tosses me a phone as he stalks off.

BZZT

“God dammit!”

“You a cop?” says the strangely attractive homeless guy suspiciously.

“Would a cop dress like this?” I point to my DCPerry’s bought lumberjack outfit that cost me less than $40.

“Who told you to speak to me?”

“The pope guy said go see Paco.” I point to the other homeless guy with his arms to the sky yelling praise to Jesus, one of the many homeless and dirty who skulk around Golden Roads trying to get handouts. I use to haunt here peddling my poisons because you go where the money is.

“You a cop?” he asks again looking around.

“Either you can get me a gun or not,” I tell him.

“Keep your ^%$# hair on,” Paco says. “If St Pain in the Butt says you cool, we’re &^%$# cool. Got cash?”

“No I thought I’d write you a check,” I watch him process my sarcasm before showing him my money. “How long?”

“Depends on what you need m*&^##? Revolver or pistol?”

“Don’t care,” I reply.

“Money up front,” he motions at me. Now being a drug dealer I know the inherent risks of handing your money over to a complete stranger. As soon as money changes hands it becomes real and the danger starts, up until then you can just walk away.

“How long?” I repeat.

“Chill ^%$!” he says as he wanders off. “You’ll get it.”

Part of me thinks I should’ve taken all of Rico’s generous loan; the other part is too busy eyeballing this Paco guy waiting for him to bolt with my remaining one hundred and fifty dollars. He chats to some other homeless guys, gets some smokes, high fives, it’s like watching a bad play and it’s so bad you can’t just up and leave. He wanders back and thumps a newspaper into my stomach.

“It’s in sports &^%^$,” he whispers as he wanders away. “I don’t know you, you don’t know me.”

I look in the paper and there’s a Cobra CA380 with two clips. It looks like a kid’s toy gun but it’ll do the trick. I’m amazed that in the heart of Indigo City you can buy a gun pretty much out in the open if you ask the right people the right questions. Probably why I like it here. My pocket hums.

“What?” I snap into the phone.

“We’re waiting,” Kublai sings down the phone. “It’s nearly four.”

No Caption Provided

“This would be easier if I had my powers,” I snarl.

“Oh you’ll get them back on when I let you have them. Clock is ticking.”

I feel like throwing the phone into the ground. Best head off to the nearest Indicum branch…always made me snigger, Indicum. They even got the joke when they did that whole campaign with that English comedian. Still I’m about to rob one…not really sure what to do actually. I’ve seen movies but actually robbing a bank with a gun. Well I best learn quickly unless I want a sharp pain up somewhere I don’t want a sharp pain.

I leg it over to Central and spot a branch. This is going to be h…

BZZT

I spasm and hit the floor courtesy of the random jolt of electricity. My phone rings.

“What!”

“You’re powers are available for three minutes,” says Kublai. “Go.”

It’s like that feeling when a sneeze vanishes without going off, I can feel my fire powers. I feel powerful. I feel whole again. I feel madder than hell! I look around for a Quan who I can melt into a puddle but there’s nobody about. I pull a balaclava out of my jacket and put it one.

“Show time!” I saw aloud as I charged into the bank. First thing I see is an elderly security guard, too old to be working here. I knock him out and fire two shots into the roof and another into the camera. “THIS IS A &^%#g ROBBERY! EVERYONE DOWN. NOW!”

The customers shriek and panic like schoolkids when a pet gets loose. Gun gets their attention, now for what I’ve been longing to do every since I found out I couldn’t; I summon up some fire, god it feels good and I coat the exit doors. “I SAID DOWN!”

The sprinklers kick in so I send the flame up and across the roof turning the water into steam even though it could never put it out. I think I’m enjoying having my powers back.

“MOVE!” I yell as I point at the counter, asteroids of pyrokinetic power circle me like I’m a planet and then race to where I point. Tellers run like rats as the counter explodes. GOD THAT FELT AMAZING! I step through the charred hole, I feel like I’m in a movie with the swirling smoke and haze.

“YOU HAVE TWO MINUTES TO FILL THESE BAGS WITH CASH!” I order. “ANYONE WHO DECIDES TO BE A HERO…” I summon up another explosion and fling it at the large vault door, melting but not blowing it open like I hoped. “NOW!”

I breathe in deeply, reconnecting with my psychic side. I can find anyone and right now I know exactly where Kublai Quan, but he’s not close meaning me plan of crossing the road and killing him as he sat giggling in a van isn’t going to be today. I see the bank manager fumbling with his pocket. I wave my hand and the flame responds like a dog, converging on him and surrounding him like a fence.

“What are you doing?” I ask. His hands go up, wads of cash in them. “Man, were you stealing…you’re stealing in the middle of a robbery? This is why the human race is so screwed!”

I send the flames up his arms and incinerate the cash in his hands. He screams, more from the shock, not that I’m trying to kill him because if I wanted to kill this guy I’d just create an explosion and take his head off. I look up at the clock. “ONE MINUTE! MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!”

I look at the bag, probably a few grand but not enough to pay off the Quan's in one foul swoop, all part of their plan I bet. I hear a siren in the distance, can’t tell if it’s a cop or fire engine. Grabbing the manager by the collar I haul him towards the door, money bag in the other. The flames obediently evaporate with my mental command, god I’ve missed my powers and it’s only been twenty four hours since I lost them. We get to the door and I see its one of Indigo’s finest. Good, if it was the CBTF I’d be in real trouble!

“You, you stupid bastard are going to run at that cop car,” I growl at the manager. “As fast as you can. You stop…” Flames coat my hand and he flinches from the heat. “And I’ll burn your &^$# face off! GO!”

He runs, almost comically towards them. I concentrate and send flames to coat his clothes. All the cops should see is some fire guy running at them while I &^^$ in the other direction. The fire is more for show than an intense raging inferno, I’m not a murderer. I s…

BZZZT

I hit the floor. This random zapping is so ^%$g annoying…oh &^$! They’ve turned my powers off! I wobble back to my feet; grab the bag and stop as I see this white marshmellowy thing float down in front of me.

“Hey dude, I think you should, like, stop.”

Oh ^&^$! It’s that idiot Rocking Roll!

To be continued

Avatar image for alexander_wolffe
Alexander_Wolffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Going to have to catch up on this and Wind and Water later.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1090

#3 cbishop  Online
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1090

#4 cbishop  Online

@batkevin74: Not really a complaint, because who cares, but I was having trouble figuring what some of the censored words were supposed to be. Aside from that, great chapter! The bank logo ad made me laugh. :)

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@batkevin74: It was pretty fun...well except for those rape threats.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Had to think of something to motivate Nate coz it would be easy for him to just take the shocks and not work for the Quan's. This horrible horrible threat serves as that motivation and puts another name of the list of people Nate is going to take a hammer to

@cbishop: usually think f or s, sometimes c or mf

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

... silly name... serious banking. Dang that made me laugh.

And Rocking Roll! Cool! Can't wait to see him show up next issue! You're doing a pretty great job with this series so far Batkev.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Glad I put a smile on your dial. Heat Seeker is fun, had a good base to work with what @dngn4774 had set up before, I'm just taking Nate out in some new directions pushing him until he either breaks or overcomes

Will Rocking Roll stand the heat? Well we'll see very soon...there might even be a response if it works in my head which I'll check with you before posting

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@batkevin74: That poor police officer, he was just doing his job...

Still your writing a great Heatseeker series at the moment. Kudos on that.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Heat Seeker is fun, kinda reminding me of Sleeper by Brubaker (though nowhere that calibre)

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@batkevin74: Rocking Roll AND Paco! It's like a family reunion for a bunch of characters that don't know who the hell the other one is! Loved this chapter man, you're really turning on the heat

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightofthechronicle: My personal favourite was St Pain of The Butt, mentioned a few times throughout Blight. But yeah there's a plethora of incidental characters out there just living their lives