dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By dngn4774

Heat Seeker Prelude

No one's really sure how it all went down last year. Most normal people just remember being woken up at home to the sound of sirens and screams. Sometimes, I wish I had that memory instead, but I'm not most people. My name is Johnathon Thames, and I'm a carrier.

Carriers is only the politically correct term for describing us, but there are many names for what we are known as. To the scientific communities we're called anomalies, to the church abominations, and to the public, just errors. Regardless of what you call us, we weren't meant to survive the Great Impact.

Almost overnight my entire world had changed. Indigo City was bombarded by nearly a dozen UFO's. Sure there were plenty of theories, contact with alien life, secret government weapons testing, even terrorists attacks, but no one knew anything for sure. When the objects crashed down, they released this toxic, blue gas in the atmosphere. It stayed in the air for about an hour before dissipating. Most of the people indoors were fine but it was hell for anyone who breathed it in.

Despite how becoming a carrier ruined my life, it was far better than the alternative. Those who weren't lucky enough to survive the gas became blights. Seeing that change for the first time still haunts me to this day. First they stopped breathing, then their skin would turn pale and they would hemorrhage black blood. After a few minutes, they would rise, like something out of a zombie movie.

The blights raided streets in packs like wild dogs. It took months to put down the hordes, in fact it got so bad that the military had to quarantine the population. For some reason they wouldn't attack carriers. In hindsight, we must have already dead to them.

A bunch of carriers helped the military but as soon as the disease was contained, we were no longer needed. To the rest of the world we were as much as a problem as the zombies were. We reminded them of their greatest tragedy and their newest fear.

It wasn't surprising what came next. They dragged us into camps, claiming it was for our own benefit. It was a bold lie, but nonetheless a lie that the rest of the world was ready to believe. For 95 days they tested us to no end. Starvation, isolation, physical torture, and heavy sedation, were all a daily routine for any who possessed the will to rebel. Several carriers killed themselves just to make it stop. As tough as I thought I was, I had many nights where that didn't sound like such a bad idea.

Seven months ago, a group of carriers snuck video footage of from the camp out to a reporter. Within that week our release was demanded by the public. I'd like to say it was all sunshine and rainbows after that but life is rarely so convenient.

Between the gangs of carriers that prey on the weak, the mobs that want us dead, and the new paramilitary force designed to arrest us, Indigo City has become a powder keg. It's all bound to explode at any moment; I for one won't be waiting on the sidelines when it does.

To be continued...

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dngn4774
dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@dngn4774: Interesting start. Is 5th Column a group, or something you are doing solo? (I don't know which Long Box to put it in) :)

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop said:

@dngn4774: Interesting start. Is 5th Column a group, or something you are doing solo? (I don't know which Long Box to put it in) :)

Honestly, I'm not really sure what I wanted it to become. The reason it's so vague as of yet is that I wasn't sure if I would add people to it or not. Give me a couple of days and I'll have an answer.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By batkevin74

@dngn4774: Aliens, zombies, mutants all at the same time! Like it, may be interested if it's a group...

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: @cbishop: I'll probably do a group invite just to see who's interested. So far I've come up with about 5 character concepts, mostly by power sets.

I'll start off with only a few rules and leave the rest up to the writers own creativity.

1. All stories are in first person, so that know character has the full story on his/her own.
  2. To make the universe balanced, each carrier has roughly 3 powers.

That's about it for rules. I have a couple of ideas I might add to the pm.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cbishop

@dngn4774: It's pretty cool so far. Reminds me a lot of Wild Cards. An alien virus was loosed in the atmosphere, which became known as the Wild Card. Aces were the ones with superpowers, Jokers were the ones who became hideously transformed mutants of all kinds. Deuces were folks with minor super powers, like a guy who is invisible to others, except in their peripheral vision. Often, Deuces are also Jokers, like the lizard guy that can screw a lightbulb into his elbow and make it light up. However, there are also those who drew the Black Queen, and died a horrible, messy death.

Great series of books- I have them, but wish they were still in print.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Never read it but it sounds cool. I'll be done with the pm shortly. Just thinking on some concepts.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Cool. This midnight shifter is going to bed.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah this sounds really cool.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bmped

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

@dngn4774: In a world filled with zombie movies, why would they go the Walking Dead route and not call them zombies? Kinda weird. Lol

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

@dngn4774: In a world filled with zombie movies, why would they go the Walking Dead route and not call them zombies? Kinda weird. Lol

Blight is just an official terms for them. Colloquial terms like zombie are just as common, just like you would assume carriers to be called mutants or freaks because they are common terms for outcasts. An official term does not negate the existence of the others.

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: I'm not home right now so will respond later but I think I responded with what I thought of it in the Group Thread.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Are you gonna get in on this or nah? It'd be fun if you do!

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@dngn4774: And this is where it starts, intresting premise (even if at the moment my life blood is pouring into Marvel Mayhem and Bat Surveys). Can't wait to see where this goes from here

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dngn4774

@impurestcheese: I actually had a character in mind for you if you are interested. Figured you could really nail it if you had enough freedom do you own thing. Pm me if you want to hear more.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@dngn4774: Ha thanks, intrested enough to schedule PM in before dawn survey. (No Sleep for IC)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@dngn4774: How have I not posted on this? This was a great intro to the whole universe, so thank you for that

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I have to admit I don't really think this had to be a HEAT SEEKER story. It could have been the introduction to the whole group. Still really good though.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dngn4774

@tommythehitman: Heat Seeker existed before the group did. When I originally wrote this I wasn't sure if this was going to become a bigger project. You can see that above in the earlier posts.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped on my way to 2...or 3, whichever