Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Who doesn't love Wednesday - new comic book day! Want to add the new releases yourself? Here's how to do it.

New release issues are not to be added to the database until the day before they are released. This means Tuesday (12:01 AM, PST). No exceptions.

Cover Images

Preview images are not acceptable. A preview image is a clean cover that includes no title, issue number, publisher, etc. It's just a plain image. We do not want that.

Watermarked images are not acceptable. This includes print where the UPC should be, website addresses and logos.

Basically, if the cover doesn't look like the one you picked up from the comic shop, we don't want it. (This also applies to ALL issues, not just new releases).

Examples of what is not acceptable:

Preview Image w/ watermark
Preview Image w/ watermark
Watermarked Cover
Watermarked Cover
Preview Image of Birds of Prey #1
Preview Image of Birds of Prey #1
Print over UPC, website address printed on cover
Print over UPC, website address printed on cover

PLEASE SEARCH FIRST

For first issues, please search to see if the volume is already in the database. Actually hit the search key, do not rely on the top ten search results.

Which volume is this?

To make sure what volume you should add the issue to, check the indicia. The indicia is the fine print usually located in the very front or very back of your comic. It will include the volume name, volume number, date and year published and the publisher name, among many other legal mumbo jumbo.

Indicia Example
Indicia Example

Release Date

Another thing that seems to confuse a lot of people is the release date, so no it is not the Wednesday the comic was released, every publisher does it differently but the release date can be found on the indicia and in many cases on the cover as well. As a general rule, the "day" space in the release date is unneeded unless it's a weekly book. Below is a list of the general release dates for different publishers:

• DC/Marvel: Two months in advance. So, say a comic came out May 19, 2010...the release date would be July 2010. Look at DC covers if you don't believe me.
  • Dynamite: Doesn't actually have a month in the indicia, just a year, so go with the month it was released as a general rule.
  • Most other publishers go by the month the comic was actually released but there are some exceptions where a cover date may be a few months earlier then the comic came out, etc. If you don't know the date and it's not on the cover, just try and follow the pattern of the previous issues or go with the month it came out.

How can I help?

First of all, by following these rules. Besides that, anywhere from 70 - 110 new issues are added each week, not including trades and mangas. There are no shortage of people who will rush to add a Spider-Man, Batman or Deadpool issue but very few who will add the less popular or indy titles. Just adding a few would help the site a lot, as very few of us add new issues.

Have any questions? Post below!

courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By courtney12490
@jloneblackheart: Not so much a question as a "Good Job!" I always wondered how to go about adding new issues correctly.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty
@jloneblackheart: You rock :)
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@jloneblackheart: LOL! I uploaded that cover for Jonah Hex!
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@inferiorego said:
" @jloneblackheart: LOL! I uploaded that cover for Jonah Hex! "

One rule I forgot to mention:

If you are staff, rules can be bent or broken. So unless you are a staff member, DON'T DO IT!
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
@jloneblackheart said:
" @inferiorego said:
 One rule I forgot to mention:  If you are staff, rules can be bent or broken. So unless you are a staff member, DON'T DO IT! "
Thats not much of a rule. Besides IE doesn't count. I nominate him for a ban.
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@Shatterstar said:
" @jloneblackheart said:
" @inferiorego said:
 One rule I forgot to mention:  If you are staff, rules can be bent or broken. So unless you are a staff member, DON'T DO IT! "
Thats not much of a rule. Besides IE doesn't count. I nominate him for a ban. "

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Tuesday?

courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By courtney12490
@Emperor Gonzo Noir: What about it?
Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@courtney12490: Generally to my knowledge, comics come out Wednesday
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@Emperor Gonzo Noir: To my knowledge, as of now, we allow them to be added on Tuesday. That way there will be comics uploaded to spotlight once the new week is up on Wednesday and the front page won't be blank.
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By courtney12490
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" @courtney12490: Generally to my knowledge, comics come out Wednesday "
It says in the OP that they can be added the day before they are released.
Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Yumulu

Hmm Hmm is there any specific reason that DC/Marvel publish from the futur?

RedHurricane24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By RedHurricane24

Yeah I just got this warning for putting the cover to The Web #10. You guys do know that there is not one site that has the published cover, right?

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@RedHurricane24: Then how did I find it??? They are all out there but sometimes you have to be creative. 
Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yumulu
@jloneblackheart said:

" @RedHurricane24: Then how did I find it??? They are all out there but sometimes you have to be creative.  "

Or there always that high teck device called a scanner... If you don't posses that magneficient piece of technology & can't find the cover on the world wide web you can always let someone else up the issue.
thebeegle88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thebeegle88

this is when hell breaks loose. allowing for staff to break rules.... hmmmmmm yeah thats fair? something so simple, yet still you should be held just as accountable 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

How do I add a trade paperback not in the database co-published by DC & Humanoid comics?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Mercy_
@Jake Fury You can only assign one publisher. But you add it the same way that you add a normal issue.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Dark Huntress: I'm not sure there's even a point. None of the characters have pages either. 
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mercy_
@Jake Fury Wellll. If you wanted to put the work into it you could always go and create pages.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Dark Huntress: I guess I could do that. Geoff Johns is the writer...
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@Jake Fury said:
" @The Dark Huntress: I'm not sure there's even a point. None of the characters have pages either.  "
There is always a point! I just filled out a page today that someone added and never worked on. Someone will always come along and add info. Actually, people tend to add to pages that are already created as opposed to adding from scratch. :)
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mercy_
@aztek the lost said:
" @jloneblackheart said:
" @Jake Fury said:
" @The Dark Huntress: I'm not sure there's even a point. None of the characters have pages either.  "
There is always a point! I just filled out a page today that someone added and never worked on. Someone will always come along and add info. Actually, people tend to add to pages that are already created as opposed to adding from scratch. :) "
this is true, I've gotten PM's from people before who wanted an issue added so they could add a review to it and in the queue I've noticed times where nobody's adding new issues but as soon as one has been added, fifty people submit the info related to it "
I think part of that is because you have to have 5000 points for it to be added without having to go through moderation and people are inherently lazy. 
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mercy_
@aztek the lost: Since when don't I question the system?
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mercy_
@aztek the lost: I have no such thing. xP
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mercy_
@aztek the lost: OH CRAP! I opened it and reminded myself to reply but never did. V_V I fail.  

I'm on the regular site right now. I use the mobile site when I don't have access to my computer. 
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mercy_

What's the policy on adding trades that have been solicited and are available for pre-order, but are not actually available to buy yet?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mercy_
@aztek the lost said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" What's the policy on adding trades that have been solicited and are available for pre-order, but are not actually available to buy yet? "
if you mean the trades aren't released, then you can't add them...if you mean they've been released to comic stores but are not available to Amazon yet then you can add them...comic stores get items on Wednesday, Amazon gets them the following Tuesday if you weren't aware...otherwise I wouldn't know what you're asking because comics can't be added until they are released...not every trade that gets solicited comes out, and the proper cover usually doesn't come out until around the time the trade does "
I meant ones that weren't released and I figured that was the answer, just wanted to double check. 
der_internet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By der_internet

please make clear how to add the Marvel/DC  release date... i think i have to stick with the date printed on the cover, even if the comic was released earlier? and may you excuse my dumbness im, relatively new to this whole comic stuff and have to learn a lot of nerdish terms and rules :D

also small off-topic question, is there a way to subscripe to topics?

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@der_internet: Yes, use the cover date. Marvel/DC both use cover dates 2 months ahead. 

From any forum page you can change your preferences that will show what is on the main board. For all other forums, there is a green button at the top that says 'Add Forum to Favs."
der_internet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By der_internet

thank you , but this won't provide email, alerts!?

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@der_internet: I don't know if that's an option. Check your setting tab on your profile page. 
der_internet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By der_internet

no! strange, cause this board engine seems really nice.....

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Trodorne

Unfortunately with dynamite comics they are horrible for having important information like that on their comics.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@Trodorne: Yeah, they don't supply much. There is usually a year inside at least. Their website has very strange dates on them most of the time that don't correspond to the release date. 
Lurkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By Lurkin
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mercy_
@lurkin: If you hit the edit button on the volume page, you can add in publishers and release dates. The Deadpool one is already appearing as Marvel, though. 
CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

@jloneblackheart:

What do we do about comics that are released slightly earlier in other parts of the world despite that they're American comics? Like for instance the week 1 DC titles were released in the UK fifteen hours earlier than they were here in the US; they were released on a Tuesday there but it was Monday here in the US. So are we able to add them to the database if they're released in another part of the world earlier than here in the US even if they're American comics? Here is the link from Bleeding Cool if you need proof for this.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@CrimsonAvenger That looks more like a rare instance than the norm. Are they planning on doing that every week?
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#47  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@jloneblackheart: Ya that is a one off, no reason at all to change the "no adding new releases before Tuesday" rule.

TugboatRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TugboatRogers

There's loads of foreign market releases of comics added to the database that don't have any sort of release date attributed to them... this has been bugging me for a while because I go on pages to see when a character I like has popped up in a recent new issue of something, but the recent issues for some characters are entirely these re-releases in other countries.

Example: http://www.comicvine.com/bucky-barnes/29-40470/

No offense meant to the person responsible for these, they're obviously doing a good job of adding these to the database but it's just a niggle.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#49  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@TugboatRogers: Being a wiki editor yourself what's stopping you from adding them yourself? A wiki is a collaborative site, I add what I can and others add what they can. I've had a long time annoyance with volumes that don't have a publisher or start year added to them and I've very slowly been trying to correct all of them.

TugboatRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TugboatRogers

@pikahyper: I don't know them. And there is a LOT. ;)