Why deny an edit request if you're not sure, and asking a question the submitter can't answer?

#1 Posted by DarkHeraldMage (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm relatively new to ComicVine and as such I'm still in the lower points range where my edits have to be moderated. Multiple times I get edit requests denied with comments back from the mod questioning what I submitted, but there's no way for me to actually respond to their reply with more info. This means that I get dinged for a denied edit, and then I have to submit yet another request and include the answer in that one, risking another mod seeing it and potentially yet another rejection instead of it still being associated with the first one.

Why is there no way to put an edit request in an in-between status like "pending follow-up" where a mod can ask a question instead of just flat-out denying a change that they aren't even sure should be denied to begin with?

#2 Posted by Renchamp (7931 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkheraldmage: I'm afraid that that is just how the system is set up. Feel free to ask any wiki mod (myself or pikahyper are the most active wiki mods) in a PM if you feel your edit should have been allowed. As it is, we have to deny something if it is questionable. This does not prevent you from trying again and making things better. And I would always recommend putting in a note to the mods before you submit your wiki edit.

#3 Posted by DarkHeraldMage (9 posts) - - Show Bio

@renchamp Thanks for the heads up. My frustration mainly comes from having multiple rejections that can't easily be corrected without going completely around the suggestion system. For instance, I updated two comic lines recently that both had "ongoing series" in their description even though they ended years ago. Knowing they were completed, I requested that the "ongoing series" text be removed so people don't think there are forthcoming issues - both were rejected. The first asked how I can be sure a volume collecting works isn't forthcoming, but that doesn't make sense because that could be said of literally any comic, and isn't part of the story line itself, but a publication of an existing collection of the issues already out. The second told me that removing that text doesn't help anything, so should I have really had to change it to "not an ongoing series" to make it more clear?

It's stuff like that which undermines a desire to actually try and update info, when actual corrections are denied because the one reviewing them either isn't sure, or just doesn't want to bother.

#4 Posted by Renchamp (7931 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkheraldmage: I just took a look at those edits. I can see merit in the first edit, but the I Hate Fairyland submission should have been denied since that one looks like a hiatus more than an ending. As a rule of thumb, edits should only be made when information is known and not merely assumed, which is why the first edit was likely denied. That said, a note explaining that the series was a six-issue mini that ended years ago would have given some context.

Keep it up. There can be a steep learning curve, but you'll get into a groove with how things are done soon enough.

#5 Posted by DarkHeraldMage (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks @renchamp, I'll make sure my edit notes are longer and go from there. :)