When should a character appear under an issue?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FearTheLiving

I've noticed this has been pretty random, some issues have characters listed when they're just mention, or when the characters themselves aren't actually there ala Daredevil #019.

Dr. Doom, Captain America, and Dr. Strange are suppose to be costumed manikins that are on display in a costume shop.
Dr. Doom, Captain America, and Dr. Strange are suppose to be costumed manikins that are on display in a costume shop.

Then there is also the case of characters that aren't actually said by name in the issue, but then revealed to have been in the issue down the line. Ala Morrat in Fantastic Four #032.

The guy in the golden hat is suppose to be Morrat.
The guy in the golden hat is suppose to be Morrat.

Now I'm thinking if it's a character that is later revealed to be in the comic should be included but, I'm having a hard time deciding if character who don't actually appear should be included or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they don't appear but are mentioned then I'd say they should still be included.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FearTheLiving

@jayc1324: So you're saying even if they just throw out a name like "Hey I like that Daredevil guy." Daredevil should be included in an issue he doesn't appear in what so ever? Can I ask why exactly you feel that way? Not that it's wrong, but seems odd to include a character under an issue because of that.

I mean should Captain America be put in an issue because of this.

The only mention of Cap in the entire issue.
The only mention of Cap in the entire issue.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4 fesak  Moderator

No, they should definitely not be listed if they are only mentioned. The rule is that a character must appear in the comic to get an appearance credit. It's called appearance for a reason, so a mention, a photograph or a wax sculpture does not count as appearances.

Nor does someone like Mystique shape-shifting into someone else. Only Mystique would get the appearance, not whoever she shape-shifts into.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@fesak said:

No, they should definitely not be listed if they are only mentioned. The rule is that a character must appear in the comic to get an appearance credit. It's called appearance for a reason, so a mention, a photograph or a wax sculpture does not count as appearances.

Nor does someone like Mystique shape-shifting into someone else. Only Mystique would get the appearance, not whoever she shape-shifts into.

I remember aztek adding characters to issues where they only have a speaking role but they do not physically show up. That's still counts, yes?

BB

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: on other wiki's, there's an option to list someone's appearance as only a mention, but comicvine has no such option, so just listen to the mod I guess. ^^

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fesak said:

Alright that's what I figured but I wanted to make sure before are start removing some characters.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8 fesak  Moderator

I remember aztek adding characters to issues where they only have a speaking role but they do not physically show up. That's still counts, yes?

BB

Not sure what that means, give me an example

@jayc1324 said:

@feartheliving: on other wiki's, there's an option to list someone's appearance as only a mention, but comicvine has no such option, so just listen to the mod I guess. ^^

An option like that is something that supposedly was in the works since 2007, but hasn't happened yet. :/

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#10  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@billy_batson: I add those too as long as it has some kind of significance, like if the character was just on the other end of the line and said like a single word or a greeting then I don't add it but like if there is a conversation it makes sense, for example in the manga Bakuman a big part of the plot was that the main male and female characters were in something of a relationship but had agreed not to see each other until their work dreams had been fulfilled so they would txt at first and then eventually talk on the phone, some times they would show the characters talking on the phone but other times they'd just show an emoticon to identify the female character and she wouldn't actually visually be in the manga, to me that counted cause of the conversations.