What are the purposes of "Page Needs Help", "On The Way!" and "Pages that need help?"

Avatar image for darkside_of_the_sun
Darkside_of_the_Sun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 24

By selecting "Page Needs Help" it highlights that issue, character, item, movie, episode etc... Thus turning the previously mentioned box blue with "On The Way!" now appearing in that box. The page in question then shows up on the Comic Vine main page under "Pages that need help."

My question is:

Unless I'm missing something? What help does the page actually need? Nowhere do I see what the problem is? By clicking "On The Way!" nothing happens either.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 565

#2 pikahyper  Moderator

@darkside_of_the_sun: it wasn't a well thought out feature, at its core the engineers meant for it to help the wiki as we wanted the tasks system back but the implementation was too basic in comparison and it does way more harm then good. What you listed is all it does, there is no way to say what is wrong, there is no way to mark something as "fixed", there is no way to turn it off and there is no way to know who clicked the button. I was told by an engineer that after a set time that only they know (but he didn't know) that it would auto turn off for a page, and that does seem to be the case, but I have no idea how long the time limit is, seems like more then a month. Supposedly it will also turn off if the page is edited but I have no clue what the threshold is for amount of editing before that gets triggered, I've tested it and never noticed any edits "fixing" it, just seems like the time limit expired for anything I worked on.

Honestly the whole thing annoys me, in my experience it is mostly abused and for three reasons: trolling of pages that don't need work, trolls getting adult or mature content on the front page and either lazy or inexperienced editors thinking that clicking the button is an alternative to making change requests or that we'll somehow be notified to fix their mistakes. It also doesn't help that the filtering system for it is broken and if there is more then a page of results there is no set order so what gets listed is scrambled and if you go to the next page it will scramble again. I've taken it so far as to remove the button from wiki pages for myself, as least the "Needs Help" one, I still see it if it has been clicked but I'll never click the Needs Help button so it is just taking up space like most of the other unnecessary buttons.

renchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

User Lists: 7

It's essentially a half-baked way for our owners to show that they "care" about our wiki without actually giving us something useful. "See?" They ask us. "See? Wiki content is on the front page. Now we can ignore you for another ten years."

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pikahyper  Moderator

@renchamp: bitter much? lol :P looks like we got bought again over the weekend so we'll have to see if that changes.

renchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

User Lists: 7

@pikahyper: I'm always bitter! But only when I look back at what we once were. So only bitter like once every month or so.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pikahyper  Moderator
Darkside_of_the_Sun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper and @renchamp

After reading both of your inputs it really makes no sense to have it at all.

Because if you can select the issue, character, concept etc... why don't you fix what you are claiming needs help (as in adding or removing something) or just submit a "Wiki Requests".

The only purpose I see for this is the following example that if unidentified will never get fixed.

Betty and Veronica #205 - Something In Common

This issue has the cover for issue #206. I made an annotation in the upper deck box and I selected "Page Needs Help". So, hopefully an Archie fan will notice this and supply a good scan of a cover of issue #205.

The only problem unresolved is now there are two covers the correct cover and the wrong cover. So, hopefully the person submitting the correct cover will post a message in "Wiki Requests" asking that the wrong cover be deleted. Because re-selecting "Page Needs Help" solves nothing because the average contributor can not remove covers only a select few have those rights.

Darkside of the Sun

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@darkside_of_the_sun: I guess your way works, honestly I'm not a fan of using the deck like that since it will be indexed by search engines but really there is no other way to give the necessary info. The engineers tried though, I'll give them that much, a bunch of gamers will only understand our needs so much on their own.

Only mods and staff can delete covers, I don't think regular users can even make covers default these days, I think that broke.

You'll find incorrect covers all over the place, especially with Archie stuff for some reason.

Oh and the Wiki Requests thread is really only for requests that can't be handled by regular users, since this is a community wiki the community should really be fixing that stuff, honestly I don't get why people don't fix it themselves all the time, if they were interested enough in the page to go to it in the first place why not take care of it right then, shouldn't rely on others.

Darkside_of_the_Sun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper

I see what you mean about abusing it with mature content.

As for the upper deck it can be deleted once the correction/s are made.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pikahyper  Moderator