Ways and Ideas To Improve Comicvine 2.0

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

A note in the log in section saying that you need to change every special character that you have in your username into underscores. Might be helpful for old users who haven't been here in a while.

BB

Deadknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#52  Edited By Deadknight

Why is it that character aliases don't seem to be able to be changed anymore? Or is this problem already being attempted to rectify?

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

@deadknight: They can be changed, just by moderators and staff. There's a thread for that here.

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Somehow I would think it would be cool, if we could search for Comics in different languages too.

I just tried to search for some Panini Comics, (those from Panini Germany), because I want to add an Issue and don't know if it's already in the data base. So I put the year (2012) and the Team (Avengers) into the search criterias and mostly got russian or spanish comics.

I know language searching may be a bit weird on an english comic site, but if you search for something really specific, it would be really helpful. =)

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#55 pikahyper  Moderator

@emh_bruce: I've suggested this to the engineers, GB already has the ability to mark games by country so it shouldn't be hard to add the functionality here that way a little flag will show up on the volume page and in search results.

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Xanni15

Page numbers at the top of PM's. I hate having to scroll down, especially on longer pages only to find that I have to go to the next page.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 pikahyper  Moderator

@xanni15: pagination has been requested :)

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Xanni15
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 pikahyper  Moderator

@xanni15: I hope it doesn't take too much longer cause scrolling to the bottom each time is getting aggravating, same with the comment link in the pm going to the first page of the thread.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hate to suggest something that would create more work for mods and remove a function for myself and other editors, but the "creator" function should either be accessible only to mods to prevent abuse. Example: Superman's page should only list Siegel and Shuster as creators, but instead at least 50 people appear there.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: As do I, it's a minor annoyance but still an annoyance, especially when the conversations get longer.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Xanni15

@jinxuandi said:

I hate to suggest something that would create more work for mods and remove a function for myself and other editors, but the "creator" function should either be accessible only to mods to prevent abuse. Example: Superman's page should only list Siegel and Shuster as creators, but instead at least 50 people appear there.

I don't believe the original creators are the only ones who can be there, other writers have added to the character. Per the wiki guide:

"Creation

Write about the artists/writers who created this character, or who had a significant impact on the charcacter."

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By jinxuandi

@xanni15: I could be wrong but I read that to refer to the creator section in the wiki page itself (as opposed to the sidebar section that says "Creators"). To me, the purpose of the "Creator" bar is so that someone could easily know at a glance who created the character, without having to peruse the article. The wiki article itself can talk about other creators who were influential in shaping the character (under "Creation," as you mentioned) but including them in both places seems redundant to me.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jinxuandi: I'm not sure either, though you'd think that the original creators would have to be in the wiki section, since they created them, so they'd have to be repeated. We can ask @pikahyper, though. :]

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You can see the bumped threads at the end of the page. Your followers that are online at the top of the page. Being able to edit images whenever we want.

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i believe quizzes would be a great addition like what lantern corp are you in what magical item do you possess etc. and also everyone should be able to make them not specific people

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@jinxuandi: @xanni15: I've actually been thinking about this a lot the past few days as I keep seeing creators tacked on that shouldn't be, I think the sidebar should only list the original creators, any other significant "creators" should be added to the wiki page section itself and to me significant means they revamped the character or something really big not just made a popular story arc, like I noticed Jim Lee on Batman's creator list, that makes no sense.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Xanni15
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 pikahyper  Moderator

@xanni15: well I don't think that is an official stance, just my view of it, let's see what @razzatazz thinks.

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but yeah i think besides quizzes the vine is great

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tasir: You really want quizzes, huh? lol

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

@jinxuandi: @xanni15: I've actually been thinking about this a lot the past few days as I keep seeing creators tacked on that shouldn't be, I think the sidebar should only list the original creators, any other significant "creators" should be added to the wiki page section itself and to me significant means they revamped the character or something really big not just made a popular story arc, like I noticed Jim Lee on Batman's creator list, that makes no sense.

What should really happen is that Character Evolution should be an extension of the Creation section, while looking at the publication evolution. I haven't checked that part of the Wonder Woman page in a while, but assuming someone hasn't removed it, the character evolution portion extends from Creation and talks about all the creators that worked on her - Kanigher, Giordano, Perez and so on - and so gives a solid history of the character. So pika is right, the sidebar should only have the original creators, while the text can and should include any and all that are relevant. The only place that I can think of where this wouldnt be the rule is if there are numerous characters on the same page, which happens sometimes though rarely.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By RazzaTazz

@tasir: Like I have said numerous times before, there is nothing wrong with creating a quiz on another site (presumably one of the sites where you can create quizzes) and then posting the link here, as long as it means the forum guidelines for posting links (not spamming or bumping them)

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Xanni15

@pikahyper said:

What should really happen is that Character Evolution should be an extension of the Creation section, while looking at the publication evolution. I haven't checked that part of the Wonder Woman page in a while, but assuming someone hasn't removed it, the character evolution portion extends from Creation and talks about all the creators that worked on her - Kanigher, Giordano, Perez and so on - and so gives a solid history of the character. So pika is right, the sidebar should only have the original creators, while the text can and should include any and all that are relevant. The only place that I can think of where this wouldnt be the rule is if there are numerous characters on the same page, which happens sometimes though rarely.

There we have it. I guess the Character Evolution Section is being massively underused, including by me.

Excellent information as always. :]

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 pikahyper  Moderator

@razzatazz: mantle pages are still fairly common for small to mid level characters, more so from Marvel then DC as jhr took care of most of the DC one's.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Right those it would make sense to have numerous characters, something for the troubleshooter I guess.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 pikahyper  Moderator

@razzatazz: well I meant in regards to multiple creators being added to the sidebar.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, this is essentially what I assumed, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Can we do anything to make the thread search more efficient. I guarantee if it worked better it would cut dupe threads in half

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

#81  Edited By GC8

Mentioned some of these things in other threads, but now I'm submitting a formal request that the reviews section get some attention as it has been back-burnered while forum and wiki improvements needed to be rolled out first (which is understandable).

Overhaul the way the site handles reviews entirely:

• If you go to a user's review page you can't even tell what comic they're reviewing anymore - the title and fixed - thanks!
  • cover images are no longer associated with the reviews - please fix this as soon as possible
  • Put staff and user reviews back in one combined feed and put it on the front page of the site or at least have it accessible from the top menu.
  • Make the reviews feed sortable so you can search by things like, most recent reviews, most recent comics, staff reviews only, top reviewers only, most recommended, by publisher, character, etc.
  • Bring back half stars for users and staff alike.
  • Move all reviews to the bottom of the issue pages.
  • If highlighted reviews are to be kept, make it the ones with the most user recommendations, not automatically staff or nothing.
  • Show all reviews on an issue pagelink added;
  • currently defaults to showing only three (seems to be random, not top recommended or most recent)
  • Attempting to add reviews to a movie page causes 404 errors- fixed - thanks!
  • Fix the review counting bug:
    No Caption Provided

eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

The first thing that comes to my head is that I really miss the Add to list option.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#83  Edited By X35

@etragedy said:

Mentioned some of these things in other threads, but now I'm submitting a formal request that the reviews section get some attention as it has been back-burnered while forum and wiki improvements needed to be rolled out first (which is understandable).

• If you go to a user's review page you can't even tell what comic they're reviewing anymore - the title and cover image are no longer associated with the reviews.
  • Put staff and user reviews back in one combined feed and put it on the front page of the site or at least have it accessible from the top menu.
  • Make the reviews feed sortable so you can search by things like, most recent reviews, most recent comics, staff reviews only, top reviewers only, most recommended, by publisher, character, etc.
  • If highlighted reviews are to be kept, make it the ones with the most user recommendations, not automatically staff or nothing.

Agreed. Move on over to this since someone actually important might see it: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/bug-reporting-2/placement-of-staff-reviews-on-issue-pages-1451543/

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

User Lists: 3

#84  Edited By wmwadeii

@x35 said:

@etragedy said:

• If you go to a user's review page you can't even tell what comic they're reviewing anymore - the title and cover image are no longer associated with the reviews.

Agreed. Move on over to this since someone actually important might see it: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/bug-reporting-2/placement-of-staff-reviews-on-issue-pages-1451543/

I also have a question pending to the engineers in the bug forum too about the fact that currently there is no link or option to see all the user reviews. Also only 3 show, and they dont even have to be the first 3, last 3, or even highest rated.

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

@wmwadeii: Hey, you're right - I didn't notice this before. I'll edit the list to add it on.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Maybe put the flag button somewhere else? I've accidentally flagged two people when I meant to quote them. Had a mod fix that but I don't think the flag button's located at a good place since it's very easy to accidentally click it.

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe put the flag button somewhere else? I've accidentally flagged two people when I meant to quote them. Had a mod fix that but I don't think the flag button's located at a good place since it's very easy to accidentally click it.

Or at least have the pop up asking you if you're sure you want to flag the item.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista said:

Or at least have the pop up asking you if you're sure you want to flag the item.

This too would be very helpful. So this way it doesn't automatically flag the user.

Other than that though, loving 2.0 ComicVine. =D

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Ellie_Knightfall

@samimista: Just tested and apparently if you flag it again, it unflags it.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ellie_knightfall: Oh wow! =O I didn't know that. I suppose as for right now that works as long as you can unflag. Still think though a notification should pop up if you click the flag or something.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

So, a few things, predominately under the umbrella of "how it was before, and how it ought to still be."

• Pagination at the top too (I see this has been mentioned multiple times but I'll just reiterate).
  • Jump to most recent post. For both PM's and forum threads.
    • That little arrow thing next to the most recent poster used to bring you at least to the last page, if not actually down to an anchor for the post itself. It does not seem to still do that, and it should, because clicking to the last page of a long thread every time is tedious.
    • Similarly, when I click the notification at the top of my screen for a new post, that should bring me to the new post -- not to the first page of a potentially hundreds-of-pages-long PM chain.
    • Both of these are bad but are of course exacerbated by the lack of top-of-page navigation.
  • The currently-online users indicator at the top of the screen. The online indicator is nice but is a completely different thing from the reason most people (like myself) wanted that feature: to see everyone who is currently online. One friend recently described the new system as an ATM that gives out one dollar at a time, and I thought that was fitting -- it's better than no way of knowing, but it's a far cry from what it used to, and ought to, be. I'm bringing this up because 11-12 days ago people were told "online friends stuff is coming next week" and I really hope this wasn't what was meant, because it's definitely not good enough.
  • I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I was very excited to see in my settings the ability to receive email notifications for private messages. Sadly, this has pretty much been nothing like what I thought it would be: I now get two emails for every time someone replies to/mentions me (the email for that, and then an email because that generated a PM), but I get no emails for actual direct private messages. So I'd love to actually get emails for new private messages, but if that's not going to happen, then I see no reason to even have the feature because right now all it does is duplicate the emails the other setting already sends you.
  • Timezone change? Maybe I missed it, but I haven't found a way to set timezones and that's a little obnoxious.

I'd also agree that just in general the sizing of things (especially text) seems off. A lot of titles/headlines look sloppily large and/or go onto multiple lines because of their largeness -- so that'd be an aesthetic improvement.

IIayK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

return as =(

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#94  Edited By MrDirector786

One issue I've been having is that when I try to visit the last page in a thread, it takes me to the second last page instead unless the last page has a large enough number of posts on it. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. If it helps, I am using mozilla firefox and Windows 7.

comictagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but in a lot of older comics, the volume number is often in the indicia. Would it be possible to add this as an entry field for either the volume or issue?

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

User Lists: 3

#96  Edited By wmwadeii

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but in a lot of older comics, the volume number is often in the indicia. Would it be possible to add this as an entry field for either the volume or issue?

I remeber reading before that since most publishers stopped this in the 80s it wasnt really needed. From what I can tell most volumes have it listed in the summary section. Maybe this would be a good item for the deck area.

Honor Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Honor Girl

-_- fix the site so I can post stuff while at work instead of blank posts. I can live with all the other bugs but that one is just... a slap in the face!

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 pikahyper  Moderator

@honor_girl: well you are being paid to work so it shouldn't be too big a slap :P

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#99  Edited By BlueLantern1995

The things I would like that are missing.

• Being able to know when someone you follow is online and how many.
  • Being able to put movies in chronological order(this was really helpful on the old site)

Some Features I think could be very useful that would be new are:

• Having a special board for games so out Take a points, tournaments, etc. can go there and no one would be bothered.
  • I think it would be great that in the wiki section comic book tv shows could be listed like Arrow, Transformes Prime etc. It would then make reviewing the series easier and its episodes. While not necessary it would never the less be cool.
Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Another improvement I would like is that not all forum topics I post on would be followed.