Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Edited By turoksonofstone
aztek_the_lost: "Do not credit Public Domain Characters to any more issue pages, it is considered point whoring and not really benefiting the site in any way."

My Response:"? If I am adding characters to the Wiki, then adding them in turn to the comprehensive "Public Domain Characters" list (A concept page listing all public domain characters) how exactly am I Point Whoring??? What are you referring to specifically? Adding the Public Domain button to issue pages? How is pointing out a books status point whoring? I am very confused what am I doing WRONG here? Please explain...Am I mistaken that all of the "Fiction House" books for instance are Public Domain? Why should they not be listed as such? How is a books public domain status NOT useful for the site?? Credit Public Domain Characters to more issue pages? If this is what you mean I'm even more confused. That's 1 point per issue credit right? To date I have credited 1,325 pages as "Public Domain Characters", You are Warning me and calling me a "Point Whore" for this? 1,325 points? 
 It is considered point whoring? Really? Why exactly is this?
 and not really benefiting the site in any way. A books public domain status is irrelevant? Why is that?" 

I am honestly considering leaving this site. This feels like harassment. In all fairness, the Mod who PM'd me is offline and yet to respond. Any thoughts? Is my use of a "concept" button point whoring????
Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator  Online

Actually YES.  
You should NOT add PDC to EVERY issue in which Public Domain Characters appear. A good policy is to the FIRST issue of a series, and THAT IS ALL. Not ever single issue they appear in, that is completely unnecessary. IF NOTHING ELSE, it says that PDC characters are PDC on THEIR CHARACTER PAGES rendering it even less necessary to add the concept.    

Edit: I wasn't the one who warned Turksonofstone in the first place, but I feel the moderator who did was fully justified in doing so.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By turoksonofstone
@Icarusflies:
Am I "Banned" from using this button on other Volumes that it applies to that don't have it???? How many issues in a given Volume can have it before it Qualifies as Point Whoring??? Some Volumes are not all public domain with some issues being Public Domain and others not being Public Domain within the same Volume. Pep Comics for instance would it not make sense to use the PDC button to differentiate?? Why a Warning??
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By Silkcuts

*Note I did not read what the mods say, because that is between you and them *  As for the points whoring thing, I think a PDC should get credit.  It is part of the Multiverse of it.  Since they are the same character just in different books, they should get credit.  May a section added to the respected pages, like Alice in Alice in Wonderland is a public doman character used in a lot of adult books, from Lost girls to other adult books.  I heard the site is combining character pages so its one big page.  So would it still be point whoring, if some one is in a mainstream PD book and another version is not.  A character is a chaacter, if you add to the bio what harm is that?

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Concepts aren't really supposed to be credited to issues anyway... 

That out of the way, I will say I see absolutely no purpose to having a Public Domain Characters page when we have a Public Domain publisher page already. Also, making a massive list of public domain characters on the concept page is redundant, as all public domain characters on the site can already be found linked to the publisher page ( http://www.comicvine.com/in-the-public-domain/57-2526/characters/). Not to mention lists can easily be copied from other sources. AND you have almost 45,000 points for doing it.  

If I were you I'd just comply and stop complaining. 

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Green Skin

Mods are in charge.  Mods don't want PDC credited to every issue they appear in.  Therefore, just don't do it.

Ta daa! Problem solved.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Silkcuts
@Green Skin said:
"  Mods are in charge.  Mods don't want PDC credited to every issue they appear in.  Therefore, just don't do it.  Ta daa! Problem solved. "
suck up...lol
Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Green Skin
@Silkcuts: Lol, not really.  I just don't see the point in arguing with the mods over something like this. 
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Silkcuts
@Green Skin said:
" @Silkcuts: Lol, not really.  I just don't see the point in arguing with the mods over something like this.  "
I hear ya, I am just playing with you anyway, glad you understood that.  ^_^
jrh7925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jrh7925
@jloneblackheart said:

" Concepts aren't really supposed to be credited to issues anyway...

This is always something I've been confused about. As a newer user, I've always based it off the line in the FAQ:

"Credit objects and concepts that play a significant role in the issue. Don't credit Mjolnir just because Thor is in the issue."

But I've been told (and read) in the past the sentiment that you should never attach a concept to an issue. So while contributing over 44k worth of wikipoints on one concept goes against what is listed in the FAQ, I'd recommend having the site designers remove the "Concepts" section if we aren't meant to attach it to an issue, or spell out that specifically in the FAQ.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@Silkcuts said:
" @Green Skin said:
"  Mods are in charge.  Mods don't want PDC credited to every issue they appear in.  Therefore, just don't do it.  Ta daa! Problem solved. "
suck up...lol "
Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Green Skin
@Silkcuts said:
" @Green Skin said:
" @Silkcuts: Lol, not really.  I just don't see the point in arguing with the mods over something like this.  "
I hear ya, I am just playing with you anyway, glad you understood that.  ^_^ "
:-P
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Mercy_

I've been saying for a while that concept pages should have a feature allowing the mods/staff to "lock" them and prevent them from being credited in issues.  

jrh7925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jrh7925
@The Dark Huntress said:
" I've been saying for a while that concept pages should have a feature allowing the mods/staff to "lock" them and prevent them from being credited in issues.   "
That totally makes sense. I guess the "Concept" can easily get out of hand (like the "Women in Comics" example). But I like ones like "Homage Cover" because that is something I've always wanted to know about... and it makes sense tied to an issue.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mercy_
@jrh7925 said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" I've been saying for a while that concept pages should have a feature allowing the mods/staff to "lock" them and prevent them from being credited in issues.   "
That totally makes sense. I guess the "Concept" can easily get out of hand (like the "Women in Comics" example). But I like ones like "Homage Cover" because that is something I've always wanted to know about... and it makes sense tied to an issue. "
Homage Covers is an awesome concept and there aren't a huge huge amount of them, so it does make sense to tie them to an issue. It's things like adamantium or mutant or x-gene that should be "locked" because they are very easily and very often abused. 
Krakoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 215

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Krakoa

Abolish points.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mercy_
@Krakoa said:
" Abolish points. "
Bad idea. Abolishing for adding concepts might be a good idea, though.
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By turoksonofstone
@aztek the lost: 
 Am I "Banned" from using this button on other Volumes that it applies to that don't have it???? Some Volumes are not all public domain with some issues being Public Domain and others not being Public Domain within the same Volume. Pep Comics for instance would it not make sense to use the PDC button to differentiate which issues are PD and which are not ?? 

@Silkcuts:

Every Public Domain Issue should get the PDC button. It denotes that the particular issue is Public Domain, it's tedious and it gets only a single point per page but allows for comprehensive use of the accumulated info, # of PDC per company, # of PD issues/appearances for given characters etc.  They don't want me to do it. I Won't. Whatever.. You are Rookie of the Year!

@jloneblackheart:

"Concepts aren't really supposed to be credited to issues anyway... "

Now that I understand how they would like it to be doneI will do it that way. That in no way changes the fact that having "Concepts" on each page only adds information and enhances it's use as a resource being against the logical use of these Pages/links is stupid. 

"That out of the way, I will say I see absolutely no purpose to having a Public Domain Characters page when we have a Public Domain publisher page already. Also, making a massive list of public domain characters on the concept page is redundant, as all public domain characters on the site can already be found linked to the publisher page (  http://www.comicvine.com/in-the-public-domain/57-2526/characters/). Not to mention lists can easily be copied from other sources. AND you have almost 45,000 points for doing it."  

I did not create the Public Domain Characters page, I was researching Public Domain Characters and came across it. I chose to work on it because unlike your list it was done correctly. There is no such thing as "Public Domain Publisher" , making the publisher of a fiction house character "In the Public Domain" makes less sense and tells me less then if it reads "Fiction House". being against the logical use of the Publisher window is stupid.  I added HUNDREDS of Public Domain Characters to the PDC page and site Wiki  from outside of the Vine through research and effort. I earned those points. I did not Copy/Paste anything except images from other sources in fact many of the characters I added are now only found here at comicvine. 

If I were you I'd just comply and stop complaining. 
I'm not afraid to ask questions, you are not me.

@The Dark Huntress

said:

Unaware that this was such a major issue plaguing comicvine...

@Krakoa

said:

" Abolish points. "

LMAO. That's what this is all about. Not comprehensive Information,  But Points. lol.

@jrh7925 said:
" @jloneblackheart said:

" Concepts aren't really supposed to be credited to issues anyway...

This is always something I've been confused about. As a newer user, I've always based it off the line in the FAQ:

"Credit objects and concepts that play a significant role in the issue. Don't credit Mjolnir just because Thor is in the issue."

But I've been told (and read) in the past the sentiment that you should never attach a concept to an issue. So while contributing over 44k worth of wikipoints on one concept goes against what is listed in the FAQ, I'd recommend having the site designers remove the "Concepts" section if we aren't meant to attach it to an issue, or spell out that specifically in the FAQ. "
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Silkcuts
@turoksonofstone said:

@Silkcuts:
Every Public Domain Issue should get the PDC button. It denotes that the particular issue is Public Domain, it's tedious and it gets only a single point per page but allows for comprehensive use of the accumulated info, # of PDC per company, # of PD issues/appearances for given characters etc.  They don't want me to do it. I Won't. Whatever.. You are Rookie of the Year!

Oh, I get whats happening now. PDC as a concept.  Yeah, 1 point per PDC appearance is not a lot I would think if it was not abused.  Something like fables is common knowledge it is PD, so may it should be mentioned on the page, but I don't see a problem with HB #23 added to the list and why.  I complain all the time that the first fables in Vertigo were in HB, as they were.  So crediting that Hellblazer #23, would denote that PDCs were used in HB as well.  Since it is not a common occurrence then I see no problem with it.  Some concepts get out of hand like Batarana and stuff like that, I can understand the Mods going nazi on those types of Point whoring, but what about times when adding concepts help promote the concepts?  Should I get into trouble for the comics I credited with Magick or Occult themes?  It is a concept, but the comics I credited I created the page for, so in the page there is reasons why.    I have been told not to point whore concepts as well, but I think some concepts need to slide.  That is my personal belief.  PDCs help give exposure to writers on the site who they can use, and You Mr. Turok sir I consider an expert on PDC, so if someone gets the points for it, I rather you.  There will be someone desperate for points one day and would credit it any way,  For fun I just checked Capt's shield.  Mad credits to it and crediting that doesn't help the site at all, unless someone really wanted to write an essay on how Iconic it is, but then again, PDC is literature.  They deserve exposure.  I feel something like PDCs can slide, since it makes more relevance to me.   I think this is the page that is causing the problems? Mods like Fesak used it, and he doesn't even need points.  It seems scary, since you have so much points from it, but no one cares more about the Public Domain then you do.  So why should you not have all the points?  Its like my occult page, Liberty is my boy... but 66 points?  He added a picture and credited things like Freedom fighters... really Freedom fighters in a a page I created to talk about concepts Grant Morrison and Alan Moore use in comics.  A page used for reference.  But its Liberty, the man does work.  So I ain't mad at him, personally surprised he is not a mod, yet himself.  But that is my rant, some concepts are abused, some I think need to be USED.  And I see you as using PDCs because if you don't someone else will abuse it.

I hope the issues with you in the mods clear up.  The mods are good guys, I like a lot of them, but with some of the guys who are truly trying to improve the site by being different, I think should have more a little more free will.   I am not saying guys like you and me should break the rules, rules are rules, but what you did was not against the rules if other people credited any concept besides you.  You were not whoring on a pointless concept, like CCA or Photo Cover... really Photo Cover... that is a bloody concept? How many whored points came from that one????  I ranted enough, keep your nose clean for now, I like seeing you around. 

As for the Rookie of the Year Comment, cheers mate.  May be it'll catch on, some one will make it official with a photoshoped trophy, etc, etc.  I still can't believe some one burned my Batman: The Retrun review with a negative.  Haters are going to hate, right?  But a shiny official trophy from comicvine would cheer me up from being down that there are haters in the first place.

Cheers
 - Silkcuts
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By turoksonofstone
@Silkcuts: 
Good Gracious! That is a sound retort. I'm going to respect the rules and do as Icarusflies suggested and Aztekthelost reiterated and only add it to the first Issue. If I add it all. This whole affair gives me that "Meh" feeling...
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Silkcuts
@turoksonofstone said:
" @Silkcuts: 
Good Gracious! That is a sound retort. I'm going to respect the rules and do as Icarusflies suggested and Aztekthelost reiterated and only add it to the first Issue. If I add it all. This whole affair gives me that "Meh" feeling... "
I am glad it was "sound" my eyes are heavy and I haven't slept well.  Glad my mind still works....lol
I like those mods, good people.  Aztek was the one who warned me Mods don't like point whoring.  So I only credit minimally to concepts.  But in my honest opinion, some things should get credit.  That is why I hear your side of the story.  It is smart to keep your nose clean, we are just users after all.  There are too many users who don't really add much to the site, won't want to loose some one that acutally has a specialty. 

Cheers, I am off to be for real this time.
- Silkcuts
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator