Suggestion - "Deceased" Check Box on Overview Edit

#1 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (748 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be fine with just mentioning that a character (such as Booster Gold) is dead in the bio, or tagging it, but I think something more easily found to a casual user would work out better. That way, if someone is just trying to find the bare bones about a character, they won't miss that he died recently because they didn't read ALL the way to the bottom.

#2 Posted by Teh_Exploder (92 posts) - - Show Bio

I marked he was dead on the justice league page but, thei should definatley be a place to mark it near the stat box.

#3 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see where this could be a point of interest to people. Sure characters die and come back all the time. But some stay dead longer than others. Thor has been dead over two years in our time. We do want this to be up to date so having a box to check off might not hurt. Then if the character is revived or someone else takes over the mantle, it could just be unchecked.

We also have to remember that not everyone that visits a page will be completely knowledgable about that character. They might be there to read up or get to know them. If they are currently dead, it could be good to know.

#4 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (748 posts) - - Show Bio

Any update on this?

Avatar image for mr__exciting___
#5 Posted by Mr. Exciting!!! (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe three deceased options: deceased, deceased (?), undead

Avatar image for captain_cascader
#6 Posted by Captain Cascader (1424 posts) - - Show Bio

ScoodleDaddle says:

"Any update on this?"

It's not a priority at the moment. We tend to use flags specifically for data that needs to be sorted. Is there a reason we'd every want to list out dead superheros? Maybe.

#7 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (748 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I'm not in a tizzy about it or anything, I just remembered it.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
#8 Posted by DEADPOOL (2945 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody really stays dead anyway, lol.

#9 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (748 posts) - - Show Bio

Plenty of characters stay dead.

#10 Posted by Darkchild (43005 posts) - - Show Bio

ok yeah this is a very very very very very very old thred but i got bored tonite and went through the past pages in the forums and..

I think and agree their should be a DECEASED box for characters because some have stayed very much dead

#11 Posted by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio

Not many though.

#12 Posted by Darkchild (43005 posts) - - Show Bio

well i know tha Gambler i am a comic reader but some do stay dead like......like....like...well F$%$ i cant think of any off the top of my head.

ooh oh

i got one

Most of all the Hellions that were killed by fitzroy are still dead
Post Edited:2007-06-14 23:09:20

#13 Posted by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkchild says:

"well i know tha Gambler i am a comic reader but some do stay dead like......like....like...well F$%$ i cant think of any off the top of my head. ooh oh i got one Most of all the Hellions that were killed by fitzroy are still dead
Post Edited:2007-06-14 23:09:20"

Lmao, you had to dig deep for that one man. I'm not saying its a bad idea, but lets face it, sooner or later they always come back. Except Gwen Stacy

#14 Posted by Darkchild (43005 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah i really did need to dig deep in the old noggin clean out some cobwebs and dig into the box labeld

People in comics i know are still dead.

#15 Posted by Superkitty (1294 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been thinking about that. For some reason, I'd prefer "died" than "deceased." Died doesn't seem as permanent than deceased. Of course there could be more than one issue that someone died in, but deceased sounds like forever. Should there be a team disbanding (kinda like a team's death) box?

Another box maybe to have would be "origin story." This too, could be checked more than once, as people keep revising that. And many times the origin isn't in issue 1.

#16 Posted by Satyrquaze (4539 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncle Ben

Jor-El

Lara-El

Thomas Wayne

Martha Wayne

The Ancient One

Deadman

Solomon Grundy

#17 Posted by shatterstar (5288 posts) - - Show Bio

Couldn't you just write it in the profile?

#18 Posted by fesak (8661 posts) - - Show Bio

Seconded.

It would only get confusticating. How would you label characters like Dead Girl or vampires, zombies, ghosts and other undead.

#19 Posted by NiteFly (1535 posts) - - Show Bio

fesak says:

"Seconded.It would only get confusticating. How would you label characters like Dead Girl or vampires, zombies, ghosts and other undead."

I also agree, mostly on the grounds that to see the current status of a character one has just to look at the very end of a bio to see what their most current history includes.

#20 Posted by Psychose (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkchild create a deceased list (very nice because we know how they died).

But why not a list of characters by number of times they died ?

I'm wondering which character win the trophy of number of deathes

#21 Posted by Superkitty (1294 posts) - - Show Bio

fesak says:

"Seconded.It would only get confusticating. How would you label characters like Dead Girl or vampires, zombies, ghosts and other undead."

Well undead aren't dead, but are "animated." Concepts of undead vary as to what it means from writer to writer. Basically the box could say when a character died : stopped living biologically - unless they're robots, etc., then they're somehow "turned off." Immortals and gods may or may not function biologically, but from the context of the comic it should say whether they are or not. I guess if the comic leaves it open to whether they are or not, then we wouldn't mark them off for dead (here the bio text would be better to explain what's going on).

If they're like their cartoon counterparts, Kenny from South Park and Aeon Flux would die every issue.

Some characters, like Deadman, could "die" as a human the first issue (I think that's when he did), then resume on as an undead thing. If we had a "died" box, there could be one in the first issue, which would look weird, but hopefully people would figure it out.There are some other problems, like with Aunt May, who died, but there were some issues with her after her death, I think about her spirit going to the right place. In this case, it's not really her ghost (an undead thing), but her spirit (her essence that goes to the afterlife), so she could die one issue, but still play an active role in later issues. I suppose she could come back as a "spirit" to guide Spiderman, but she'd remain dead and not be undead, I guess she'd be "afteralive."The "dead" box would be more useful to people like me who don't write much in the bio section, but I do think, even though I don't do it much, more fuller details should be provided by someone about the character in the bio; I don't think every event in a character's possible life should be put into a box (too many boxes), but just the most important events. Maybe first issue, birth, origin, and death. The boxes are just a shortcut.
#22 Posted by shatterstar (5288 posts) - - Show Bio

Psychose says:

"Darkchild create a deceased list (very nice because we know how they died).
I'm wondering which character win the trophy of number of deathes "

Gotta be Jean Grey or Dr. Doom.

#23 Posted by Darkchild (43005 posts) - - Show Bio

numbering the number of deaths might come in the future but for now im doing the most recent deaths if they have died more than once

#24 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

Shatterstar says:

"Psychose says:

Gotta be Jean Grey or Dr. Doom. "

What about Mr. Immortal of the Great Lakes Initiative?

http://www.comicvine.com/mr-immortal/2486/

He's died lots of times.

#25 Posted by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never read the GLA are they the Great Lakes of Michigan? Superior, Erie, Ontario, Huron, and Michigan.

#26 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, round bouts there. I think they were in Wisconsin. Bummer.

#27 Posted by Octagon Enigma (2031 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, you guys were talking about characters don't stay dead, but what about almost all of the poor, poor, X-Statix? Orphan? Corkscrew? PHAT????? Sorry, I just miss my X-Statix...

#28 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

AND Dead Girl...

#29 Posted by Octagon Enigma (2031 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"AND Dead Girl...
" />http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/item/12000/11483/20879-dead-girl_400.jpg"

Well, I guess she has stayed dead. Oh, and about the "most deaths" award, I think Henrietta Hunter deserves honorable mention.

#30 Posted by Nny (253 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Magneto almost broke the 4th wall once in Excalibur by saying that a lot of characters seem to have the 'return from dead' power . . .

#31 Posted by fesak (8661 posts) - - Show Bio

Shatterstar says:

"Psychose says:

Gotta be Jean Grey or Dr. Doom. "

Jean was killed 10+ times in Phoenix: Endsong alone.

#32 Posted by fesak (8661 posts) - - Show Bio

Superkitty says:

"fesak says:

Well undead aren't dead, but are "animated."

Don't you have to die first to be reanimated?

#33 Posted by Constantine (16127 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
#34 Posted by BuckshotWasHere (19547 posts) - - Show Bio

Nny says:

"I think Magneto almost broke the 4th wall once in Excalibur by saying that a lot of characters seem to have the 'return from dead' power . . ."

That's not breaking the 4th wall unless he speaks directly to the reader and or addresses the "camera". Also, he's not the first character to say that the X-Men have some sort of resurrection powers.

#35 Posted by Superkitty (1294 posts) - - Show Bio

fesak says:

"Superkitty says:
"fesak says:

Well undead aren't dead, but are "animated."

Don't you have to die first to be reanimated?

"

For the most part yes (there's probably some exception). I consider "undead" another "state" of being, apart from living and apart from dead (some say it's somewhere in the middle). I have more of a Dungeons and Dragons attitude toward undead. Opinions vary. Some can say undead and dead are the same state, especially for things like mindless zombies. I guess the higher ups would have to determine what to do with the dead/undead problems. For some people (like Deadman) Living -> Dead -> Undead. Some people: Living -> Undead. If there is a cure maybe Undead -> Living (is there a dead in the middle?). If you destroy a vampire utterly, Undead -> Dead or Dead -> Destroyed, etc.Sorry about the "animated," couldn't think of a better word. I forgot about mindless zombies that are at the very least close to being dead or they're dead and their bodies are controlled by another force. Undead are tricky and contradictory.
#36 Posted by Superkitty (1294 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Nny (253 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"Nny says:
"I think Magneto almost broke the 4th wall once in Excalibur by saying that a lot of characters seem to have the 'return from dead' power . . ."

That's not breaking the 4th wall unless he speaks directly to the reader and or addresses the "camera". Also, he's not the first character to say that the X-Men have some sort of resurrection powers."

That's why I said 'almost'. It was getting close, but not quite there . . . although the way he said it was amused, as if he was chastising the writers

#38 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (748 posts) - - Show Bio

Listen guys, it doesn't matter if they stay dead, come back in five years, or are back the next issue. If they are currently considered deceased, dead, inanimate, or in some sort of official afterlife, it would help to have a part of the page that says "This character is currently deceased."

#39 Posted by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio

Isnt there? I thought somebody made that page.

#40 Posted by BuckshotWasHere (19547 posts) - - Show Bio

He means for each character, not a general lst. It would make it easto see if someone's just look at a apge, They wouldn't have to unt it donw.

#41 Posted by BuckshotWasHere (19547 posts) - - Show Bio

What the hell happened to what I typed?

#42 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (748 posts) - - Show Bio

lmao

#43 Posted by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (748 posts) - - Show Bio

But if somebody is at a specific character page, they should know when they look at that page. It's not a matter of just having the information somewhere, but having it accessible to somebody just breezing through trying to learn about a character.

#45 Posted by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh I gotcha.

#46 Posted by fesak (8661 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"He means for each character, not a general lst. It would make it easto see if someone's just look at a apge, They wouldn't have to unt it donw."

Right! :p