Submitting a bio multiple times in one night... be careful.

Avatar image for captain_cascader
Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain Cascader

Hey All-

Just to give you some insight into how our backend works, when stuff is approved changed bios don't actually merge text together, but replace an older version. This is unique to the bio as most everything else is can be compared in a list and will merge multiple submissions together.

In any case, this means be careful when making multiple submissions in one night. If you have to submit two bio changes, make sure that your second submission also contains the changes you made in your first submission. Otherwise you can unknowingly overwrite your own changes.

This is usually not a big deal since I tend to moderate submissions before you can pile up pendings subs, however, during the nights PST when I go to bed submissions can sit in there for up to 9 hours. I've noticed a couple people add notes saying... for some reason a previous submission didn't get saved, even though it was approved. This is almost always coming from peeps who submitted the same entry twice, or even 4 times in one night.

Lemme be clear, it's not a problem for me if you send 4 subs instead of one in one night, I'm all for you being thorough. Just do yourself a favor and make sure you aren't overwriting yourself.

Obviously this will not be a problem once we get live submission priveledges working, but given the bugs we've gotta fix in the backend, we're likely looking at early Jan. for those features. In the mean-time I'll continue to approve/reject stuff in the queue in 8 hours or less (usually within the hour during the day, but Cap' needs his sleep at night).

Again, we're only in week 2 at Comic Vine, so thanks for everyone's patience. I think we're building something really special here, and we're already seeing some pretty impressive pages.

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

I know I was making this mistake, and quickly realized that I was actually overwriting my own submissions. I've made a point of saving submissions so that if I make another before the first is approved, I can keep it in there.

I can already see this site fleshing out into something really cohesive and comprehensive. You guys did an amazing job building it and putting in all that work. I can only hope us contributors help make into what it could be.

Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Captain Cascader

ScoodleDaddle says:

"I know I was making this mistake, and quickly realized that I was actually overwriting my own submissions. I've made a point of saving submissions so that if I make another before the first is approved, I can keep it in there.I can already see this site fleshing out into something really cohesive and comprehensive. You guys did an amazing job building it and putting in all that work. I can only hope us contributors help make into what it could be."

At this point we're just trying to keep up! There's nothing more we hate then launching something and seeing a silly bug. The good thing is you guys are pretty good at reporting their causes (like the link builder bug) and that really helps us fix them quick.

Raif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Raif

I try not to, Sometimes I will post so much I get lost. I need to wait for it to be a appvored. So I can get my pace again.

I still have some issues and Young avengers and runaways that have not been approved yet stuff in frount of it has. Do I need to resubmit this?

Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Captain Cascader

Raif says:

"I try not to, Sometimes I will post so much I get lost. I need to wait for it to be a appvored. So I can get my pace again.I still have some issues and Young avengers and runaways that have not been approved yet stuff in frount of it has. Do I need to resubmit this? "

No, we've got about 5 new issues sitting in the queue (most of them yours) that we're waiting to approve once Red LAMP gets that form fixed so the char/creator attachments work on the first try. He should be ready to put it up in a couple hours when we make it over to the office.