• 93 results
Mister Amazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mister Amazing

I was browsing some entries today, and saw this interesting statistics graph on several of them (for example, on Sentry's Page: http://www.comicvine.com/sentry/1454/). I'm curious where the data for these charts comes from. Anyone know?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Methos

dunno...

yes they are crap, no they aren't accurate, at least not the ones i've seen...

and no, we don't know who's putting that complete mess of HTML up there

M

Mantid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Mantid

King of Kings says:

"They come from Octagon Enigma and should be deleted. Seriously what is it with this guy and those graphs?"

Could it be that he's thirsty for cheap points?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Ghostshell

They come from Octagon Enigma and should be deleted. Seriously what is it with this guy and those graphs?

Mister Amazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mister Amazing
Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sparda

Wait, they came from Octagon?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Sparda says:

"Wait, they came from Octagon?"

Everywhere you see a graph you'll see he contributed on that page. He admitted to adding some.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Just deleted Sentry's, pending approval.

Mister Amazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mister Amazing

I don't see any reason for it to be deleted. It is completely accurate information, according to the company that owns full rights to the character.

Tevnoba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tevnoba

Mister Amazing says:

"I don't see any reason for it to be deleted. It is completely accurate information, according to the company that owns full rights to the character."

However, the stat graphs are incredibly vague, and inaccurate. Marvel puts them up there for a basis of ability for new commers. But the validity of the values is speculative at best. There own comics on various entities blow the graphs to hell.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Mister Amazing says:

"I don't see any reason for it to be deleted. It is completely accurate information, according to the company that owns full rights to the character."

Marvels are off as well. Look at Mary Jane's graph at Marvel. People we've had this conversation in at least 3 different threads already.

Mister Amazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mister Amazing

yikes, remind me not to pick a fight with THAT lady! I see the point you guys are making there.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Octagon Enigma

King of Kings says:

"They come from Octagon Enigma and should be deleted. Seriously what is it with this guy and those graphs?"

Hey, I didn't do 'em all! I didn't even do very many... :(

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Octagon Enigma says:

"King of Kings says:

Hey, I didn't do 'em all! I didn't even do very many... :("

Sorry dawg, it just looked like you had put alot of them up.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Octagon Enigma

King of Kings says:

"Octagon Enigma says:
"King of Kings says:

Hey, I didn't do 'em all! I didn't even do very many... :("

Sorry dawg, it just looked like you had put alot of them up."

No problem. As soon as LAMP PM's me back with instructions, I'll make this whole thing up to the Vine. Just wait and see.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

#16  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

You could make it up by getting rid of them.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Octagon Enigma

Buckshot says:

"You could make it up by getting rid of them."

I plan on it, and then some. Hopefully I'll hear back from him today so I can get started tonight after school.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Octagon Enigma says:

"Buckshot says:
"You could make it up by getting rid of them."
I plan on it, and then some. Hopefully I'll hear back from him today so I can get started tonight after school."

Good idea.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#19  Edited By gmanfromheck

This is ridiculous. I don't understand why these have come back. It was brought up over the summer and several people mentioned how ugly they were. Most of the ones that resurfaced were added THIS MONTH. We've already heard about how smart Mary Jane is. Check out what I learned today:

Dr. Strange is bulletproof. Yet he was just shot in Brian K Vaughan's (awesome) mini-series. He can lift 25 tons. Wow. Impressive for a former physician. I don't think using magic counts for strength. He can also move at the speed of sound.

Daredevil is regenerative. How come his eyesight has never regenerated? When did he gain this power? Has he been hanging out (or making out) with Wolverine? He can move at supersonic speeds. It's amazing that he's always getting trashed by the street thugs of Hell's Kitchen. He's also a genius. When he kept denying he was Daredevil, what does he do when he finally takes down the Kingpin? He does it with his mask off.

Speaking of Kingpin, he too is bulletproof. He can somehow discharge energy on contact. What kind of energy?!? He can move at 700 mph. He's also a super-genius yet he's currently behind bars.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Try to have some pride in your submissions.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Octagon Enigma

G-Man says:

"This is ridiculous. I don't understand why these have come back. It was brought up over the summer and several people mentioned how ugly they were. Most of the ones that resurfaced were added THIS MONTH. We've already heard about how smart Mary Jane is. Check out what I learned today:Dr. Strange is bulletproof. Yet he was just shot in Brian K Vaughan's (awesome) mini-series. He can lift 25 tons. Wow. Impressive for a former physician. I don't think using magic counts for strength. He can also move at the speed of sound.Daredevil is regenerative. How come his eyesight has never regenerated? When did he gain this power? Has he been hanging out (or making out) with Wolverine? He can move at supersonic speeds. It's amazing that he's always getting trashed by the street thugs of Hell's Kitchen. He's also a genius. When he kept denying he was Daredevil, what does he do when he finally takes down the Kingpin? He does it with his mask off.Speaking of Kingpin, he too is bulletproof. He can somehow discharge energy on contact. What kind of energy?!? He can move at 700 mph. He's also a super-genius yet he's currently behind bars.I've said it before, I'll say it again. Try to have some pride in your submissions. "

Some of these are pretty ridiculous. And that whole thing with Mary Jane is even worse.

Hey G-Man, what time does LAMP usually check his PM inbox? I'm waiting on some instructions from him.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gmanfromheck

Octagon Enigma says:

"G-Man says:
"This is ridiculous. I don't understand why these have come back. It was brought up over the summer and several people mentioned how ugly they were. Most of the ones that resurfaced were added THIS MONTH. We've already heard about how smart Mary Jane is. Check out what I learned today:Dr. Strange is bulletproof. Yet he was just shot in Brian K Vaughan's (awesome) mini-series. He can lift 25 tons. Wow. Impressive for a former physician. I don't think using magic counts for strength. He can also move at the speed of sound.Daredevil is regenerative. How come his eyesight has never regenerated? When did he gain this power? Has he been hanging out (or making out) with Wolverine? He can move at supersonic speeds. It's amazing that he's always getting trashed by the street thugs of Hell's Kitchen. He's also a genius. When he kept denying he was Daredevil, what does he do when he finally takes down the Kingpin? He does it with his mask off.Speaking of Kingpin, he too is bulletproof. He can somehow discharge energy on contact. What kind of energy?!? He can move at 700 mph. He's also a super-genius yet he's currently behind bars.I've said it before, I'll say it again. Try to have some pride in your submissions. "

Some of these are pretty ridiculous. And that whole thing with Mary Jane is even worse.

Hey G-Man, what time does LAMP usually check his PM inbox? I'm waiting on some instructions from him."

If they are so ridiculous, I don't know why they were added. Not naming any names here.

I know LAMP checked it last night. We briefly discussed it. When it came up how people were adding wrong information, he was more in agreement that they're not good. Not sure why he didn't pm you back.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Octagon Enigma

He okayed the idea a couple of days ago, but he was going to give me special instruction or something specific. I'm just waiting for that mainly.

Superkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Superkitty

Here's my power grid:

it may not have high numbers (or any), but it's accurate.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Octagon Enigma

If you'll take a look here,

http://www.comicvine.com/doctor-doom/1468/

at the bottom of his origin, you'll see the new and improved power grid which is Marvel official. I will not put in the ones that are obviously wrong (Mary Jane), but I will add the ones for other characters. Also note that I only got 5 points overall for doing this, 2 for uploading the picture, and 3 for the heading and inserting it in the origin. I hope this makes up for my adding some of the crap ones.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gmanfromheck

I still say there's no point to these. All the information could be listed in the Powers section of their page. And what's to stop someone from adding the incorrect ones once they start seeing these pop up.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Octagon Enigma

G-Man says:

"I still say there's no point to these. All the information could be listed in the Powers section of their page. And what's to stop someone from adding the incorrect ones once they start seeing these pop up."

Same as information, since incorrect information could be put in. I don't understand why you don't like them so much, I think they're kinda cool.

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By acewasp23

yeah but only marvel has them so its not like they are helping any thing but marvel and even then you cant tell what one's are accurate and what one's aren't.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Ms. Invisible

acewasp23 says:

"yeah but only marvel has them so its not like they are helping any thing but marvel and even then you cant tell what one's are accurate and what one's aren't. "

The last thing we want is ending up like Wikipedia.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Octagon Enigma

acewasp23 says:

"yeah but only marvel has them so its not like they are helping any thing but marvel and even then you cant tell what one's are accurate and what one's aren't. "

Look you guys, I''m just trying to help, and make up for adding some of the old ones. I think they look really good and give a little bit of an idea to the length of the hero's powers. I don't really see a downside, except that people could add incorrect ones, but why go to all the trouble to do so? I just can't understand why everyone seems to be so against the idea, except me and LAMP, of all people.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gmanfromheck

Uhm, last time I spoke to LAMP, he saw how they weren't such a great idea. So now, what do the numbers mean? It doesn't really tell us anything. "Fan votes"? We didn't vote here. Only Marvel characters will have them? I think it'd be more beneficial to actually describe their powers in a section rather than have a bar graph that doesn't really describe anything.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Octagon Enigma

G-Man says:

"Uhm, last time I spoke to LAMP, he saw how they weren't such a great idea. So now, what do the numbers mean? It doesn't really tell us anything. "Fan votes"? We didn't vote here. Only Marvel characters will have them? I think it'd be more beneficial to actually describe their powers in a section rather than have a bar graph that doesn't really describe anything."

The powers will still be described, this is just showing actual numbers for those who like to know the scope of the powers. And the fan votes are from Marvel's website. I was also thinking, if you'd like I could make a concept site about the numbers and what they mean, information being provided by Marvel.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Regardless of whether or not people want them there (I'm in the no catagory), the Marvel ones are probably copyrighted and would need their permission to use.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Octagon Enigma

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Regardless of whether or not people want them there (I'm in the no catagory), the Marvel ones are probably copyrighted and would need their permission to use."

There are no copyrights on the image, as it has been used on other sites and is basic html.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Octagon Enigma says:

"Cosmic Sentinel says:
"Regardless of whether or not people want them there (I'm in the no catagory), the Marvel ones are probably copyrighted and would need their permission to use."
There are no copyrights on the image, as it has been used on other sites and is basic html."

Firstly, I wouldn't trust the fact that other websites use it as proof it's not, especially given that, secondly, the bottom of Marvel's web page reads: All contents ™ and © 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc., unless otherwise noted herein. All rights reserved.

Superkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Superkitty

Is there any way we could make up our own charts? It could be similar to the Marvel ones, but be colored CV green and yellow, and decide on what to call the stats (strength, int, etc. maybe add a "popularity" one). The "official" part would be filled out by an expert here (not some fanboy) and the fan part can be voted by anyone and would be an average.

The charts are nice for quick information, but I don't want someone coming to CV and saying "didn't someone just cut and paste that from Marvel?" plus it would be nice for something for DC's and other companies. It could be somewhere around the battles button and maybe the chart could be shown with the character so people could quickly compare characters.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Superkitty says:

"Is there any way we could make up our own charts? It could be similar to the Marvel ones, but be colored CV green and yellow, and decide on what to call the stats (strength, int, etc. maybe add a "popularity" one). The "official" part would be filled out by an expert here (not some fanboy) and the fan part can be voted by anyone and would be an average.The charts are nice for quick information, but I don't want someone coming to CV and saying "didn't someone just cut and paste that from Marvel?" plus it would be nice for something for DC's and other companies. It could be somewhere around the battles button and maybe the chart could be shown with the character so people could quickly compare characters."

Its impossible. There are no experts on the comicvine. We're all fanboys in one way, shape, or form. If its not directly from the companies, then its not official, and why bother? This place would start to get a rep like Wik. An we dont need that.
Post Edited:2007-10-17 10:16:46

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Strictly speaking, we do have fan rankings already.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I know. It sounded like you wanted to make a grid strictly for the comicvine. I'm asking why? Like you said, we already have that and people bitch about it none stop.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

#39  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I'm still saying "no" to charts.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Methos

Buckshot says:

"I'm still saying "no" to charts."

so are the admin lol

M

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#41  Edited By The_Martian

Superkitty says:

"Is there any way we could make up our own charts? It could be similar to the Marvel ones, but be colored CV green and yellow, and decide on what to call the stats (strength, int, etc. maybe add a "popularity" one). The "official" part would be filled out by an expert here (not some fanboy) and the fan part can be voted by anyone and would be an average. The charts are nice for quick information, but I don't want someone coming to CV and saying "didn't someone just cut and paste that from Marvel?" plus it would be nice for something for DC's and other companies. It could be somewhere around the battles button and maybe the chart could be shown with the character so people could quickly compare characters."
I like the idea of making up a chart for comicvine. I think it would have to be something people vote for how strong they are because again who is going to stop someone from messing them up.
Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Methos

Nobody says:

"Superkitty says:
"Is there any way we could make up our own charts? It could be similar to the Marvel ones, but be colored CV green and yellow, and decide on what to call the stats (strength, int, etc. maybe add a "popularity" one). The "official" part would be filled out by an expert here (not some fanboy) and the fan part can be voted by anyone and would be an average. The charts are nice for quick information, but I don't want someone coming to CV and saying "didn't someone just cut and paste that from Marvel?" plus it would be nice for something for DC's and other companies. It could be somewhere around the battles button and maybe the chart could be shown with the character so people could quickly compare characters."
I like the idea of making up a chart for comicvine. I think it would have to be something people vote for how strong they are because again who is going to stop someone from messing them up."

the problem with stat graphs is that they are very misleading, and especially awkward when doing them across companies...

to do them properly you'd have to have a separate table for each company

M

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

The thing is, most power levels are subjective and vary from writer to writer. Colossus is stronger than the Thing one week, than a few weeks later he'll be stronger than someone who overpowered Colossus. The nearest you can say is that they are at about the same level. We do have a power ranking page for that, though it is for all of a character's powers not one.

http://www.comicvine.com/cross-company-character-rankings/43598/

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Martian

Methos says:

"Nobody says:
"Superkitty says:
I like the idea of making up a chart for comicvine. I think it would have to be something people vote for how strong they are because again who is going to stop someone from messing them up. "
the problem with stat graphs is that they are very misleading, and especially awkward when doing them across companies... to do them properly you'd have to have a separate table for each company M"
I don't see why. I realize several characters are much more powerful than some but don't see the need for a different chart for each company. I could do any DC character on the chart that marvel has provided.
Post Edited:2007-10-17 15:40:59
Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Methos

Nobody says:

"I don't see why. I realize several characters are much more powerful than some but don't see the need for a different chart for each company. I could do any DC character on the chart that marvel has provided."

You probably could...

but take Iron Man's one for example...

If Iron Man has level 6 strength, second only to The Hulk, where do you put Superman? level 20?

what about energy projection? he's a 6... second highest in the entire Marvel Universe? so where's Green Lantern? level 6,000?

thats why stat graphs don't work that well

M

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By The_Martian

Methos says:

"Nobody says:
"I don't see why. I realize several characters are much more powerful than some but don't see the need for a different chart for each company. I could do any DC character on the chart that marvel has provided."
You probably could... but take Iron Man's one for example... If Iron Man has level 6 strength, second only to The Hulk, where do you put Superman? level 20? what about energy projection? he's a 6... second highest in the entire Marvel Universe? so where's Green Lantern? level 6,000? thats why stat graphs don't work that well M"
Each number represents something. For strength a 6 was 75 tons to 100 tons. Superman would fall at a 7 for strength because 7 was 100 tons and above.I could do superman right now.Intelligence: 3Strength: 7Speed: 5Durability: 7Energy Projection: 6Fighting Skills: 4
The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_Martian

Methos says:

"Nobody says:
You probably could... but take Iron Man's one for example... If Iron Man has level 6 strength, second only to The Hulk, where do you put Superman? level 20? what about energy projection? he's a 6... second highest in the entire Marvel Universe? so where's Green Lantern? level 6,000? thats why stat graphs don't work that well M"
I can do GL tooLets say hal.Intelligence: 2(i think)Strength: 2Speed: 6Durability: 2Energy Projection: 7Fighting Skills: 4
acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By acewasp23

Methos says:

"Nobody says:

if his energy projection the what about the surfer? the surfer would be a 7 so i guess iron man's energy projection is second only to the surfer.

then you have galactus his energy projection is a 7 awell as the surfers so that would mean that they are evenly matched right?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Nobody says:

"Methos says:
"Nobody says:
Each number represents something. For strength a 6 was 75 tons to 100 tons. Superman would fall at a 7 for strength because 7 was 100 tons and above.I could do superman right now.Intelligence: 3Strength: 7Speed: 5Durability: 7Energy Projection: 6Fighting Skills: 4"

And that would be wrong. Superman has at least a level 5 intelligence and 6 for speed.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Martian

King of Kings says:

"Nobody says:
"Methos says:
"Nobody says:
Each number represents something. For strength a 6 was 75 tons to 100 tons. Superman would fall at a 7 for strength because 7 was 100 tons and above. I could do superman right now. Intelligence: 3 Strength: 7 Speed: 5 Durability: 7 Energy Projection: 6 Fighting Skills: 4 "
And that would be wrong. Superman has at least a level 5 intelligence and 6 for speed."
I never thought Superman was considered a genius. I was debating a 4 though which is gifted like Spider-Man. As for speed. 6 is the speed of light and methos said Superman can't reach that. Becuase that is how fast the flash can go and flash is faster than superman.