#1 Posted by BlueEcho (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

The Gender Change concept is one which seems a bit too restrictive in its scope. Can I use it in the case of shock baiting people into being interested in comics, such as with Black Panther #1 which doesn't explain who the new Black Panther is but insteads baits the reader into buying just because the familiar character is now presented as female, even though it is not the same character in the end.

I can put a blurb onto the gender change page about this if it is ok.

#2 Edited by pikahyper (17007 posts) - - Show Bio

@blueecho: hmm that is a interesting question, do you think it is better to expand the existing concept and potentially muddy its waters or would it bring value to the community to create a new concept for the "phenomenon"? I'm not sure what to call it or if it happens enough to merit its own concept but it is something to think about.

#3 Posted by BlueEcho (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: I can think of a couple more cases, the more recent being the cover gender swap of Guy Gardner in Justice League 3000 last year, though in that case he actually did become a female character. The old Dr. Fate of the late 1980s that switched back and forth from male to female could be another example.

#4 Posted by BlueEcho (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

The point is though, that it is a marketing gimmick based on shock value and adding sex appeal to an old character, so it is kind of a gender change and kind of not.

I don't mind either way though, just looking for some clarification.

#5 Posted by pikahyper (17007 posts) - - Show Bio

@blueecho: Marketing Gimmick might make a good concept, I could see your examples using both it and Gender Change.

#6 Posted by BlueEcho (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Ok, might be hard to track though, marketing gimmick is a bit subjective after all ... I will give it some thought.

#7 Posted by pikahyper (17007 posts) - - Show Bio

@blueecho: Very true, easily open to abuse but it could be useful if used correctly. Usage notes on the page have been working out pretty well.