Question about character appearances

Kalrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kalrot

Hello! I'm new here and I have some questions about adding character appearances to issues. I apologize if this has been asked before, I tried searching for old posts but couldn't find any of the answers, so here goes:

*Should a character be added to an issue even if they only appear on the cover (like Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four on the cover of Daredevil #1)? If so, do variant covers count too?

*Does an appearance count even if the character is only impersonated by another? Also, if that is the case, how "convincing" does it have to be (i.e. a character wearing a halloween costume of a superhero or a shapeshifter mimicking another character perfectly)? Do retcons (like how The Patriot was retconned to have been the post-WWII Golden Age Captain America) count as well?

*What constitutes as an appearance? Does the character appearing in a picture or as a statue count? In a flashback or in a dream? Or a character being "heard" (for example, a speech bubble from off-panel or through a radio) but not actually seen?

Thanks in advance!

Avatar image for darkside_of_the_sun
Darkside_of_the_Sun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

@kalrot:

I don't count covers, pictures, posters, statues, impersonations, a Halloween costume or reprinted materials as an appearance. That is dumb. I would note in the description box that X-named character only appears on the cover or as a statue or in a picture etc...

With all these variant covers the Character section is flooded with too many characters and distracts who actually is suppose to be in the book. Just look at all the Creators on an issue with a bunch of variant covers. The true creators of the material in the book as in the case of the writers, pencilers, inkers, colorists, letterers and editors get lost in the laundry list cover artists.

I do count cameos, flashbacks, dreams and illusions. And once again I would note it in the description box.

What if you were an avid fan of X-named character and you wanted to own every book with their appearances. You spend $$$$$ on an issue to find out that the character you are a fan of only appears on the cover or as a statue or a picture. You just wasted your hard earned money.

Darkside of the Sun