• 63 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I love seeing new viners trying to better this site by making the database more in depth. I love seeing old viners do this also. It brightens my day to see a well thought-out, well-written submission that needs my, or any other moders or staffs, approval. However, it really "grinds my gears" to find a well though-out, well-written submission that is plagiarized, especially when I find it's on like 500 different sites. One of the things CV prides itself on (At least I hope they do) is the fact that the database is user written, original work. That being said (Are you still reading?), let's discuss the finer points of plagiarism...

What is plagiarism?

I could write a book on this. Essentially, it's taking other people's work and not giving them credit for it. In addition, it is also using misrepresenting someone else's material. Say you read a book on "Why math is great," and in your summary, you come to the conclusion that the author hates math. That's also considered plagiarism since you misinterpreted the author's writing. (Assuming that the person who wrote that book concludes that math is great at the end of the super-fun book) Depending on what style you use in your writing, whether it be MLA, APA, or Chicago Manual (CM), the in-text citations, or credit, are different. Usually, after you're done quoting, paraphrasing, or summarizing someone's work (for MLA and APA mainly), you use a parenthesis and put at least the Author's name to show credit. However, things as such do not apply here.

What is not allowed?

Simple, copying and pasting of someone else's work into a submission for the database section of this site, even if it's just one sentence. In fact, copying and pasting someone else's work anywhere onto this site is not a great idea, even when it comes to the forums. Even if you see an article online that you really like, please refrain from copying and pasting it in to the forums. Why? Simply put, people get angry about it. It's essentially stealing someone's work and trying to take credit for it. Your submission will be denied, and you'll be warned for the action. If it continues, you will eventually be banned from the database section of the site.

What is allowed?

Original, user-created submissions that have correct grammar, spelling, and that don't get too in depth. (For a little more on this, check out another boring piece of writing I wrote) Leave out your opinions, only the facts should be in a submission. And please... please... Don't leave a moderator comment that says anything like, "I want points." The moderator comment area should help the mod figure out your changes.  On larger pages, such as Batman for example, there is a lot to look through. Leaving the mod a quick note about what section you changed, i.e. Early Years, will make the mods job quicker, and a little easier.

What should I do?

The first thing I recommend is owning the comic or comics the storyline, characters, or issue you are trying to update. This allows you to have the source material on-hand to make sure that the information you're typing in is factual. Again, check out the piece I wrote about summarizing in order to get just the just the main points of an issue, storyline, or character plot-point into the submission page.

Still not sure?

ComicVine has other threads and help pages to help make your work not only suitable for the site, but also to make it the best work you can put out. If this hasn't helped, check these pages out. Even if this has helped, check them out anyway.

Tutorial Section about the site complete with videos
Additional forum rules and submission rules
Report Plagiarism Here

Thank you to all of you who took the time to read this. Most of you know all of these things by now, but there are new members (maybe a couple older viners new to submitting) who need a little bit of a refresher. I promise to write something more humorous soon.

Please don't plagiarize fictional character that many people adore...
 Please don't plagiarize fictional character that many people adore...
Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

another plagarism article?
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" another plagarism article? "
The other one was on summarizing.
ateygheyev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ateygheyev

Word.

Kastiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kastiel

Let me guess, someone did something wrong?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@Kastiel said:
" Let me guess, someone did something wrong? "
No, there are many new users on the site, and I felt the point needed to be stressed.
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sora_thekey
@inferiorego: First of all thanks... When I started out on the site I would've loved to see something like this there because I'll admit it I wasn't sure about the whole plagiarism... Seriously wished this was there when i started out!

I hope this helps the new Viners!
LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By LP

Nice post

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@sora_thekey: At times, it can be hard to understand what is and isn't acceptable here. There is a lot of stuff to do and see on this site, which I love. My first week or so here, about 2 1/2 years ago, I watched all the videos in the help section, and I read everything else attatched to that area. At that point, I knew what was cool and not cool. The one thing that impressed me since the first day I met G-Man and he showed me this place was the database section. It's a brilliant idea, but my favorite part was that it was 100% original work. I, as a viner, staff writer, and mod, want to see that continue. I hope this is viewed as less of a lecture and more as a tool than anything.

@LP:
thanks!
m_man360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By m_man360

Maybe it's me.

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Agent Buttons
good stuff IE
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Great article IE. The next one should be on point spamming.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@jloneblackheart: That's a pet peeve of mine too. However, I've already started my next article, and I'm outing myself in it as a comic-hating jerk. You'll understand why probably tomorrow.

@Agent Buttons:
thanks
MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By MrDirector786

This is a helpful article.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I'm not sure I agree that misinterpreting someone's written word qualifies as plagiarizing. That if you read a book on a topic and then get the idea wrong that qualifies. That's a bit of a leap. It sort of reminds me of people who actually think that Stephen Colbert is actually serious in the things he says on his show. Yes, there are actually people out there who think he's serious. My mother had a run in with one while she was out reading his book.

I think it often comes down to what is plagiarism, what is parody, and what is emulation. I think when it comes to art that you come right out and admit you are doing a parody or emulating something. That's alright. If you try and say it's your own original idea. That's where it's wrong.

What ticked me off is that someone wiped off a LOT of information from Emma Frost's profile for some reason. It was basically all the information that was pre-Dark Reign was wiped away.

I've been spending a lot of my time submitting to AnimeVice. I'm actually in the top six posters there now. That site needs it a hell of a lot more then this site. Though I do plan to do some uploading on here eventually. More so on my favorite comic Gold Digger.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@FoxxFireArt said:
" I'm not sure I agree that misinterpreting someone's written word qualifies as plagiarizing. That if you read a book on a topic and then get the idea wrong that qualifies. That's a bit of a leap. It sort of reminds me of people who actually think that Stephen Colbert is actually serious in the things he says on his show. Yes, there are actually people out there who think he's serious. My mother had a run in with one while she was out reading his book. "
According to the Modern Language Association (MLA), misinterpreting someone else's material is considered plagiarism. I'm currently working with my college on a plagiarism workshop and clearly defining what constitutes plagiarism. Take your example of Colbert. You can quote him and present his speeches and show as supporting evidence; however, the credibility of your source is in question since he is in fact a parody. 
I'm actually shocked to see you on here. lol.
Avatar image for anderson__agent_of_smith
Anderson: Agent of SMITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Huh. I had no idea misrepresenting the author's work was considered plagarism. Well, now I know! (come on... setting it up... don't leave me hangin'...)
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sora_thekey
@inferiorego said:
" @sora_thekey: At times, it can be hard to understand what is and isn't acceptable here. There is a lot of stuff to do and see on this site, which I love. My first week or so here, about 2 1/2 years ago, I watched all the videos in the help section, and I read everything else attatched to that area. At that point, I knew what was cool and not cool. The one thing that impressed me since the first day I met G-Man and he showed me this place was the database section. It's a brilliant idea, but my favorite part was that it was 100% original work. I, as a viner, staff writer, and mod, want to see that continue. I hope this is viewed as less of a lecture and more as a tool than anything.

@LP: thanks! "
Yeah, I've been on the site about 2 years the videos helped me out too... 

Actually G-Man showed me the ropes on the plagiarism stuff too... At first I was hesitant as too why shouldn't the stories on more than one character match but then I got it that the whole idea was for the original work to be made. If it wasn't for that then the site wouldn't be like it is now... Thanks for this tool IE!
FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FoxxFireArt
@inferiorego said:
" @FoxxFireArt said:
According to the Modern Language Association (MLA), misinterpreting someone else's material is considered plagiarism. I'm currently working with my college on a plagiarism workshop and clearly defining what constitutes plagiarism. Take your example of Colbert. You can quote him and present his speeches and show as supporting evidence; however, the credibility of your source is in question since he is in fact a parody.  I'm actually shocked to see you on here. lol. "
Still, doesn't that seem unduly harsh? I think it would be a matter of purposely misinterpreting a work and unintentionally. If you are doing it on purpose then I agree the term applies, but what if there is just someone stupid enough to not grasp the concept. That's what I'm speaking to.
That's why I brought up Colbert. This lady had a gross misunderstanding that he was a parody actor. That he speaks to truth through the parody of his over the top behavior. Even Tom Delay I remember tried pointing to Colbert once as a source for some statement he made once.

Why are you shocked to see me on here. I comment on here about every day. I would almost imagine I'm being a bit of a bother. lol
afierce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By afierce

What I don't understand is why people just "want points". Why would a person update something simply because they want points when all the points award you is the ability to update something instantly? It's like buying toothpaste that you don't like just to get the coupon on the box for 50% off the same toothpaste next time.

I think the points system is very important to the quality assurance of Comic Vine, but I wonder if it is necessary that we are able to see how many points we have? I would think that would deter people from simply trying to get points for no reason if they couldn't see what everyone had. It's not a competition, it's quality checking.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@FoxxFireArt said:

" @inferiorego said:

" @FoxxFireArt said:
According to the Modern Language Association (MLA), misinterpreting someone else's material is considered plagiarism. I'm currently working with my college on a plagiarism workshop and clearly defining what constitutes plagiarism. Take your example of Colbert. You can quote him and present his speeches and show as supporting evidence; however, the credibility of your source is in question since he is in fact a parody.  I'm actually shocked to see you on here. lol. "
Still, doesn't that seem unduly harsh? I think it would be a matter of purposely misinterpreting a work and unintentionally. If you are doing it on purpose then I agree the term applies, but what if there is just someone stupid enough to not grasp the concept. That's what I'm speaking to. That's why I brought up Colbert. This lady had a gross misunderstanding that he was a parody actor. That he speaks to truth through the parody of his over the top behavior. Even Tom Delay I remember tried pointing to Colbert once as a source for some statement he made once.  Why are you shocked to see me on here. I comment on here about every day. I would almost imagine I'm being a bit of a bother. lol "
Yes, it's incredibly harsh. But, the rule is in effect more for people who do it intentionally. I may not be the biggest fan of said rule, but I completely understand why it is in place. And, if you think about it, during your college career, how many of your peers tried to do sneeky things like make up a source or reword what an author was saying? I see it once a week at work.
p.s. I'm used to talking to you on animevice, i think that's why I'm shocked.
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@afierce said:
" What I don't understand is why people just "want points".
Ask Aztek... lol.
Kastiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kastiel
@afierce said:
" It's not a competition "
Yes it is. xD 

I wanna be in the top hundred, but it seems impossible since issues all of sudden don't give you any points. >.<
FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FoxxFireArt
@inferiorego: 
I have had someone try to claim one of my drawings as their own on devArt. The moron left my signature on it too.

Ohhhh, I'm willing to talk on here as well. I normally just reply where I see I have a reply. If that's where you reply to my comments then that's where I will comment back. Just seems a trifle tad silly to reply here to something said on AnimeVice's site.

Right now, AnimeVice most likely has one of the most detailed One Piece episode summaries you can find on an English server. He,he.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Decept-O

Personally, what I find fun simply because I AM that much of a nerd, is finding comic books and characters that have not yet appeared on Comic Vine.  

I have limited income but even someone as financially challenged as myself often finds great comic book finds in back issue bins at comic book shops, thrift stores, and naturally, via online.    I think CV users should be aware they don't "have to" post new comic books.  There are PLENTY of comic book titles and characters and stories that have yet to see the light of day on this site.

It is a challenge to find exact information about comic books and characters, and its a challenge for some users NOT to use resources that are available online to assist in those endeavors when trying to post submissions here on ComicVine.  Its a "challenge" because sadly it is as you say easy to simply copy and paste, and that IS cheating.   

Simply put, its fun to do things yourself, and to see your efforts rewarded with points and the like.  In the past, even an old geek like myself made the mistake of trying to post various objects to be included here on CV but I wasn't paying attention to the exact guidelines.  I was "guilty" to an extent of trying to get points, so its easy to get tempted for users to do similar things.  

Your post is right,  CV users, whether we are "new" or "old hat" should try our best to follow the guidelines and not swipe from other sources.   

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@Decept-O: well said ::high five::
crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crazywolf

Good article IE. Nice refresher for new folks.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By InnerVenom123

LOL Deadpool approves this message. XD
talkinsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By talkinsoul

The next article should be on good grammar because some of the summaries are horribly written and very hard to read.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

OK, I've always been curious about this...

If you are the person who authored a bio about a character on another site, and just copied it from there to Comicvine, is that allowed?

Deadstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32  Edited By Deadstroke
 Original, user-created submissions that have correct grammar, spelling, and that don't get too in depth.

Okay I may be taking this the wrong way and If I am someone let me know, but did he mean proper spelling in the forums or just when editing a page, should spelling and grammar in the forums really be that important? I'm no Grammar Nazi and neither should any of us, it's usually not the persons fault if they can't spell maybe they come from a different country or are at a young age. 

Again I say, I'm not sure what he meant by User-Created Submissions since that can range from editing a page or adding something in the forums.
iMarc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iMarc

Along the lines of what talkinsoul said, is it frowned upon if someone goes in and cleans up grammar? Is this possible? I've often wondered, not because I'm an English major but because sometimes the pages are difficult to read. Just wonderin. If I'm way off let me know.

crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By crazywolf
@Deadstroke: 

@inferiorego said:

Original, user-created submissions that have correct grammar, spelling, and that don't get too in depth. (For a little more on this, check out another boring piece of writing I wrote) Leave out your opinions, only the facts should be in a submission. And please... please... Don't leave a moderator comment that says anything like, "I want points." The moderator comment area should help the mod figure out your changes.  On larger pages, such as Batman for example, there is a lot to look through. Leaving the mod a quick note about what section you changed, i.e. Early Years, will make the mods job quicker, and a little easier.

Do you mean in the public forums like General Discussion, Off-Topic, etc.? Don't see what that has to do with getting points or editing pages for characters or volumes. All the references in 'ego's article refer to what is seen on an edit page. Like the "leave a comment for the moderator here" area which is seen in the bottom part of the screen when doing an edit.
crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crazywolf
@iMarc said:

"Along the lines of what talkinsoul said, is it frowned upon if someone goes in and cleans up grammar? Is this possible? I've often wondered, not because I'm an English major but because sometimes the pages are difficult to read. Just wonderin. If I'm way off let me know. "

There's no problem with correcting a wiki page. If it's a major edit like correcting several lines, it should go through but a minor edit like a few misspelled words or a few grammatical errors may not get approval. When you get 5,000 points or more, edits are automatic and you won't have to wait for approval. You can correct any errors small or big.
Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Crazy Pan

Okay so what if you read an article somewhere and really enjoyed it. So then you make a forum saying "This is a really good article (URL HERE). "

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I am just curious, I understand and I like how the character info is user driven, but what if a character is completely off. What's wrong with using already established background written by Marvel, DC, Image, or whoever? At the very least until someone more dedicated is willing to write something about that character.

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MysterioMaximus

You know...I've never actually written for a page. I've made a ton of comments and I remember Inferiorego even saying I impressed, so maybe I should consider it. It could be a lot of fun, but I'm nervous too. I suppose we're all our own worst critics, but I tend to write stuff on comics, not about the comics, if you get my meaning. Still...one of my favorite runs has never been done, when last I looked. That being Kevin Smiths Daredevil run. Maybe I could start there... 

...but what I'd really love to write is an article on what attracts us to our favorite B-grade otherwise unloved comic characters, mine being Spider-Mans Mysterio, or something on Batman misconceptions, especially considering how many I noticed today on front page article comments.
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dane

How people manage to get confused on this I cannot fathom. Nice article though IE :)

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@Lunacyde said:
" OK, I've always been curious about this...  If you are the person who authored a bio about a character on another site, and just copied it from there to Comicvine, is that allowed? "
not allowed. I say this because if I'm looking through a submission and find it's plagiarized anywhere on the internet, it's denied. Plus, I have no way of knowing you actually wrote that other article.

@Deadstroke said:
"  Original, user-created submissions that have correct grammar, spelling, and that don't get too in depth.

Okay I may be taking this the wrong way and If I am someone let me know, but did he mean proper spelling in the forums or just when editing a page, should spelling and grammar in the forums really be that important? I'm no Grammar Nazi and neither should any of us, it's usually not the persons fault if they can't spell maybe they come from a different country or are at a young age. 

Again I say, I'm not sure what he meant by User-Created Submissions since that can range from editing a page or adding something in the forums. "

Proper grammar and spelling in the submissions. (Frag. sentence) Firefox and IE both have spell check built in to the browser, or you can type it up and word and use their grammar/spell check.
User-Created Subs has to deal with submissions to the database section of the site. 

@iMarc said:
" Along the lines of what talkinsoul said, is it frowned upon if someone goes in and cleans up grammar? Is this possible? I've often wondered, not because I'm an English major but because sometimes the pages are difficult to read. Just wonderin. If I'm way off let me know. "

Going into the pages and cleaning up grammar is worth 1,000,000 gold stars. However, I can't afford that many gold stars. But yes, we love it when people clean up grammar.

@crazywolf said:
" @Deadstroke: 

@inferiorego said:

Do you mean in the public forums like General Discussion, Off-Topic, etc.? Don't see what that has to do with getting points or editing pages for characters or volumes. All the references in 'ego's article refer to what is seen on an edit page. Like the "leave a comment for the moderator here" area which is seen in the bottom part of the screen when doing an edit. "

That all deals with the submission section of the site, not the forums.

@Crazy Pan said:
" Okay so what if you read an article somewhere and really enjoyed it. So then you make a forum saying "This is a really good article (URL HERE). " "

That can work. The problem is that CV has gotten pretty big and when people copy/paste an article here, the people who wrote it are finding out. This will help avoid legal issues.

@Nova`Prime` said:
" I am just curious, I understand and I like how the character info is user driven, but what if a character is completely off. What's wrong with using already established background written by Marvel, DC, Image, or whoever? At the very least until someone more dedicated is willing to write something about that character. "

CV strives to have all original material. The other problem may be that Marvel or DC's site may have that info copy written and copying it over here could cause legal issues.

I hope I answered everyone's questions while I was sleeping and/or relaxing. Thanks for the comments guys! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!
crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By crazywolf

@inferiorego:
Sorry. I was trying to respond to Deadstroke's post about the differences between the two. It got a little confusing.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@crazywolf said:
"

@inferiorego:
I know I was trying to give the differences between the two of them to Deadstroke. It got a little confusing. Sorry about that.

"
No, my fault. I didn't read everything. I stepped into my office this morning and tried to answer all the questions everyone had as quick as possible
crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By crazywolf
@inferiorego:
No prob IE :)
blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By blade hunter

i think most people are guilty of re-copying and pasting, i know was when i started out but not any more i remember spending ages on a massive edit's [we'r talking a 2000/ 3000 pointers] on Goku and Ghost Rider and i felt chuffed when it was up there.  

But i think in some cases i think new vinner see people on 60,000 and 70,000 points and think "I need to catch them" and they take the quickest route which is copy and pasting, and it really piss,s me off when people do it to my work.
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By Final Arrow

Hey man mind if I pop this up over on Anime vice? Of course will credit you :p

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

are we pinning this? i think we should

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@Final Arrow: that's fine.

@.Mistress Redhead.:
it's pinned on editing and tools
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#48  Edited By xerox_kitty

I love you for this!!  There was a lot from Wikia sites just yesterday.  We should force new members to read this ;)

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@xerox-kitty said:
" I love you for this!!  There was a lot from Wikia sites just yesterday.  We should force new members to read this ;) "
You can't really force anyone to read anything; however, they can always learn the hard way by getting rejected.
Atom Smasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By Atom Smasher

I always just stick to writing  summaries for Old B-List Characters and older issues from the 80's and 90's. I should get back to doing that.