#1 Posted by Animus_ (282 posts) - - Show Bio

7 years and still no ability to crop avatars. Ijs.

#2 Posted by Cloudguy (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

@animus_: While this is a very useful feature that could be used pretty well. It's not really needed.

Every computer comes with a simple image editing program (Windows has Paint, can't remember what Mac has) that includes the ability to crop images. If you're looking to crop your avatar, use one of the free sites that allow it or the software already on your computer.

I understand the issue of not being able to crop your avatar, but it's a simple fix on the user's end.

#3 Posted by Animus_ (282 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy: I'd say blaming the user for shortcomings of the site is not really a solution.

#4 Posted by Cloudguy (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

@animus_: I'm not blaming the user in anyway. I'm a user myself, I don't work for CV in anyway, I'm not even a moderator. I spend hours on the wiki everyday, so I end up using my image editing software to cut out unwanted parts of images. Not really that hard.

While the ability to crop images would be useful, I imagine it would end up being used more for the wiki than personal uses.

If you want your avatar edited and are unable to do it through your own means, you can request that someone does it for you in a thread for image manipulation here.

#5 Edited by Animus_ (282 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy: While that would be appreciated the main issue is that this feature existed way back in 2012 and even prior to that, I think it was added in 2010 (You'll notice if you go into images there is an edit option, it's been there with no function anymore for years). They continue to do updates that add flash without substance. Very little in the way of what dedicated users want. Instead it seems to continue to be geared only towards generating more site traffic. It's just disappointing to see.

#6 Posted by Cloudguy (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

@animus_:I was unaware that the ability to crop images was a feature at one point. But to answer your statement about editing images. That is there to add tags and titles to them.

Unless the account you're using is an alt, I've noticed you're new. I've been a very dedicated user since 2013. Earning my place as one of the top wiki editors on the site. I've helped out when the beta was live and been through quite a large number of site changes. I'm not sure if you've noticed but most of the site traffic is geared towards the wiki and forum. One of the reasons in my own belief that we don't need an in site edit feature for avatars as they're not really something that was originally intended to change consistently.

You'd be surprise how much of the site has substance, we're not wikia, which everything is generated by the users, down to the minute details such as code editing to get pages to look how they are, we're much better than that with a small team of engineers that work on this site and several others. Most of comicvine's features are aimed at making editing easier, hence why wiki editing had a huge overhaul.

Unlike many other wiki's or wikia's ours is the most comprehensive and easiest to use from the start.

#7 Posted by cbishop (14993 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy: @animus_:It was a Whiskey Media feature, and something CV lost when Whiskey sold CV to CBSi. It was cool- you could crop, and even change a pic's color, or just sharpen it up (looooved the sharpening feature). Unfortunately, it's gone, and there are plenty of outside options available. That's not a shortcoming of the site- it's just something they don't offer.

#8 Posted by Cloudguy (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop: I would offer my own time to edit images, but sadly I don't have the time for it outside of my own personal life on-top of what I already do on CV. Everyone's time is valuable.

#9 Posted by cbishop (14993 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Cloudguy (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop: Oh I know that. It had just been a thing on my mind since the original conversation. I agree that it is a shame we lost the ability to edit, let alone crop images on the site. I wasn't here when that was a feature so I never really lost it myself.

The reason why I don't find having a image editing tool a problem is that I'm quite proficient in using software like Photoshop or whatever free software you can find. So getting decent images isn't too bad. Touching them up? Not so much. Although, it would be a nice feature to have on CV. But we've both seen how many bugs the new site has, adding new features would probably break the site more.

#11 Edited by cbishop (14993 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy: Ah, I think they'll get it all fixed eventually.

#12 Posted by Cloudguy (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop: Eventually. Not getting my hopes up this time. We had so many bugs on the last version that'd been around for years. I just don't want to think we may get new features or everything fixed within the year.

I'm still running into problems in which I can't edit pages in anyway after hitting save changes.

#13 Posted by Animus_ (282 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop said:

@cloudguy: @animus_:It was a Whiskey Media feature, and something CV lost when Whiskey sold CV to CBSi. It was cool- you could crop, and even change a pic's color, or just sharpen it up (looooved the sharpening feature). Unfortunately, it's gone, and there are plenty of outside options available. That's not a shortcoming of the site- it's just something they don't offer.

Ahhh ok thats explains a lot. At least now I know why it isn't there anymore. Thanks.