#1 Posted by Coldblood-6 (134 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking at old X-men issues, most list Marvel Girl as one of the appearing members. Which makes sense because Jean Grey was Marvel Girl for quite a while. However if you click the link, it takes you to Marvel Girl, who is now Rachel Summers.

So technically if people are looking for references for Marvel Girl (Rachel) they might look in really old X-men issues when her first appearance is Uncanny X-men #141.

Should all mantle characters have reference to earlier wielders?

It seems that people come to Comic Vine as a reference to find which comic a character appears in could be hopelessly lost if looking for mantle characters like:

Marvel Girl

Captain Marvel

Captain America

Angel

#2 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

This is one of Cascader's views, how we're dealing with it. I can see both sides of the argument. For now, what could be done is have a link to the others right at the beginning. Like maybe even before the origin. That way someone could easily find whoever used that identity in the past.

#3 Posted by Coldblood-6 (134 posts) - - Show Bio

That's what my wife suggested to me.

The problem as I see it is that Jean Grey (as she has an individual entry), will not be listed as appearing in the early issue of X-men as those are listed to Marvel Girl. SHould both be listed? Or does that just make things worse?

#4 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

We'll have to see if Cascader (or RedLAMP) chimes in on this. I know one of the things they wanted to avoid was having "Robin I(Dick Grayson)," "Robin II(Jason Todd)," ... plus another Dick entry for "Nightwing" etc. These dang heroes should just pick a name and stick with it. Guess we can see how others feel about it.

#5 Posted by Methos (40531 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm going to be starting on the 'Supergirl' profile soon and the easiest way i've found of doing it is going to be to profile the entire character's history.

i was worried about this sort of thing happening with 'the darkness' or 'Witchblade' as they are inherited powers but are only listing one bearer. maybe have seperate links off the 'powers' page to the different bearers.

M

#6 Posted by V (295 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to do a Rachel Summer's profile, but there is no Rachel Summers, or Phoinex2.

#7 Posted by Methos (40531 posts) - - Show Bio

that's a bit wierd because phoenix should defninitely have multiple character listings, even at the most basic level got phoenix, dark phoenix, white phoenix... ya get the drift lol

M

#8 Posted by Coldblood-6 (134 posts) - - Show Bio

Rachael Summers is currently using the name Marvel Girl. You can find her profile there.

#9 Posted by shatterstar (5287 posts) - - Show Bio

One character having one page is probly the best way to go about it, problem is which name do you make as the one page for that character? I kind of like the way it was handled with Green Lantern, I think Phoenix should be handled the same way, let the individual characters have their pages but make Phoenix one page. Rachel Summers I think should have her own page like Jean Grey, whether you know her as Marvel Girl or Phoenix, you'd know the name Rachel Summers. Maybe make Marvel Girl a concept or something.

#10 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

"Marvel Girl" can be changed but to what? Rachel Summers or the current Rachel Grey?

Avatar image for captain_cascader
#11 Posted by Captain Cascader (1424 posts) - - Show Bio

methos says:

"i'm going to be starting on the 'Supergirl' profile soon and the easiest way i've found of doing it is going to be to profile the entire character's history.i was worried about this sort of thing happening with 'the darkness' or 'Witchblade' as they are inherited powers but are only listing one bearer. maybe have seperate links off the 'powers' page to the different bearers.M"

Profiling the entire history is the way to go. If there are seperate personas that need to be covered, just link off to them and provide mini summaries on the Supergirl page.

#12 Posted by shatterstar (5287 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

""Marvel Girl" can be changed but to what? Rachel Summers or the current Rachel Grey?"

I don't know, thats just ridiculous, maybe Marvel MakeUpYourDamnMind Girl

#13 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Hank Pym takes the cake though. Am I forgetting someone?