Galleries- Dollz, Fan Art, and Serial Thumbnailer

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Dollz- is there any reason for these to be on comicvine? They're already hosted on their own dollz sites, why duplicate that effort here? Not to mention some of those sites require the creator/artist/site/whatever to be credited when using the images. Does anyone ever use these galleries in any way? The standing reason not to delete them all seems to be someone will just upload them again.

Fan art- After spending over an hour going through dozens and dozens of fan art submissions, i'm thinking maybe we should only have actual comicvine users' fan art allowed to be uploaded to galleries. It really seems silly to have people scouring fan art sites uploading other fan's unpublished art, without the fans permission or knowledge. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also the serial thumbnailer is on the loose again uploading thumbnail size versions of pinup and full page images across galleries, the bounty has been raised for the name of that user. Last spotted adding crappy thumbnails to Spider-Man's vs. gallery.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Ms. Invisible

I'm not clear on the term "dollz". What are they exactly?

I have been thinking about fan art ever since I first saw them being uploaded. Artists put up different licenses for their art. While there are artists who are happy to have their art uploaded anywhere on the Internet, there are others who feel that they should be told; it's just common courtesy to do so. Also, some artists put up previews of their work so people can see if they want to buy it. They put up the art so people can decide whether they want to buy it, not so people can get two points for it.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ms. Invisible

Oh, those things. Everytime I look at them, I wonder how it's actually contributing to the gallery. I say get rid of them.

And for the thumbnails, this might seem a bit extreme but I say there should be a rule for the minimum requirements for uploading a picture.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Ms. Invisible says:

"Oh, those things. Everytime I look at them, I wonder how it's actually contributing to the gallery. I say get rid of them.And for the thumbnails, this might seem a bit extreme but I say there should be a rule for the minimum requirements for uploading a picture."

You mean minimum file size?

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ms. Invisible

Shatterstar says:

"Ms. Invisible says:
"Oh, those things. Everytime I look at them, I wonder how it's actually contributing to the gallery. I say get rid of them.And for the thumbnails, this might seem a bit extreme but I say there should be a rule for the minimum requirements for uploading a picture."

You mean minimum file size?"

Perhaps not file size because of the different types of file types that pictures come in as, but width and length. I know the maximum width for a picture on Comic Vine of 400 pixels, but maybe that can be increased and 400 pixels be the minimum.
Post Edited:2008-03-25 02:58:30

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Methos

Seriously?

people are uploading Microheroes to the galleries?

damn, thats just stupid lol

those things are done just for fun, hell, i make a ton of them for a few other websites, but i wouldn't count them as legitimate art for a gallery

M

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By fesak  Moderator  Online

Shatterstar says:

"Dollz- is there any reason for these to be on comicvine? They're already hosted on their own dollz sites, why duplicate that effort here? Not to mention some of those sites require the creator/artist/site/whatever to be credited when using the images. Does anyone ever use these galleries in any way? The standing reason not to delete them all seems to be someone will just upload them again.Fan art- After spending over an hour going through dozens and dozens of fan art submissions, i'm thinking maybe we should only have actual comicvine users' fan art allowed to be uploaded to galleries. It really seems silly to have people scouring fan art sites uploading other fan's unpublished art, without the fans permission or knowledge. Anyone have any thoughts on this?Also the serial thumbnailer is on the loose again uploading thumbnail size versions of pinup and full page images across galleries, the bounty has been raised for the name of that user. Last spotted adding crappy thumbnails to Spider-Man's vs. gallery."

I vote for deleting it. And maybe i'm wrong here, but wouldn't there be changes in CV2.0 so that all images uploaded will have the uploaders name next to it. Or maybe i dreamt that.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fesak  Moderator  Online

Also it seems to be very hard for some people to check if the image they want to upload is in the gallery already.

It seems that any character i upload a pic for also has a bunch of dupe pics to be deleted.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

fesak says:

"Also it seems to be very hard for some people to check if the image they want to upload is in the gallery already.It seems that any character i upload a pic for also has a bunch of dupe pics to be deleted."

Maybe the thumbnails need to go back to being larger in size after you hit edit? Though before when they were bigger there were still tons of dupe pics in galleries, so who knows.

Somehow I doubt the name being next to the image is going to thwart whoever has bad taste enough to add those types of things. Though it would be a solution to the fan art thing if we say only users can upload their own art, as opposed to raiding other people's deviant art accounts for instance. It'd definitely solve the mystery of the serial thumbnailer.

Do we have a consensus on the dollz thing here? No dollz on comicvine?

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#11  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

No dollz.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Methos

No Dollz, microheroes or whatever other name you want to give them

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Methos

I don't really have a problem with them because i play with them quite a bit...

but they have their place, and their place isn't on comicvine

M

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14  Edited By Resonate

these things look so stupid, they do no character (even stiltman) any justice

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Methos

they're fun to play with, basic 256 color images with limited shading and depth, easy to make :p

M

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Resonate

honestly, I hate those things lol

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fesak  Moderator  Online

I don't think they belong in the galleries. Posting them in the forums would be better. And why do they call them dollz anyway? That's the stupidest part.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By zero edge

Looks like it's unanimous

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Let the purge begin then.

Nobody has any thoughts on the fan art thing?

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fesak  Moderator  Online

Shatterstar says:

"Let the purge begin then.Nobody has any thoughts on the fan art thing?"

I'm not sure what to think of fanart galleries. I looked through the Emma Frost fanart gallery, and much of it is not fanart. There's a few ones that is good, but most is not neccessary. What's the point in a pic like this, really:

I think that users that wants to upload their art should do that on their myvine page.
Post Edited:2008-03-26 03:45:27

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

I agree

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By King_Saturn

Damn. I didnt even know what Dollz wheir until I saw this thread. Thanks for the heads up

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fesak  Moderator  Online
zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zero edge
fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fesak  Moderator  Online

So, he has begun to upload his 'dollz' again. What to do?

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

He who?

A little lumber to the back of the head maybe.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fesak  Moderator  Online

xboy79 is the only one that uploads them.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Good work gumshoe. Lets see what a PM will do.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NiteFly

Shatterstar says:

"Dollz- is there any reason for these to be on comicvine? They're already hosted on their own dollz sites, why duplicate that effort here? Not to mention some of those sites require the creator/artist/site/whatever to be credited when using the images. Does anyone ever use these galleries in any way? The standing reason not to delete them all seems to be someone will just upload them again.Fan art- After spending over an hour going through dozens and dozens of fan art submissions, i'm thinking maybe we should only have actual comicvine users' fan art allowed to be uploaded to galleries. It really seems silly to have people scouring fan art sites uploading other fan's unpublished art, without the fans permission or knowledge. Anyone have any thoughts on this?Also the serial thumbnailer is on the loose again uploading thumbnail size versions of pinup and full page images across galleries, the bounty has been raised for the name of that user. Last spotted adding crappy thumbnails to Spider-Man's vs. gallery."

Agreed to everything. I missed this thread the first time around, but I cannot count the number of times that I have deleted galleries full of dollz, most likely just to be awarding more points to whoever put them there when they come back and resubmit.

Some people seem to think that "Encyclopedia" equates to your character's personal "MySpace".

Personally I'd like to see the fanart thing go a step farther and ban it from the galleries completely. My basis is that each of us has our own user page to show off the works we do, and I think that would be the most appropriate place for fan art. After all, we wouldn't want people using character bios for their fan-fics, would we? And any fan art that does not belong to someone on the vine is most likely being stolen and re-used without permission.
Post Edited:2008-05-06 09:36:12

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pixelized

whats the harm in dollz???? how are they different from badly drawn pictures of a characters?????