Do Kulan Gath's appearances in the Avengers and X-Men comics count as crossovers?

NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NetSpiker

Kulan Gath first appeared in Marvel's Conan the Barbarian series so I'm not sure if he's a Conan character or a Marvel character. He later went on to appear in Uncanny X-Men #189-191 (1985), Avengers #28-30 (2000) and Exiles #55-57 (2005), implying that he's a Marvel character. However, starting with 2006, Kulan Gath became part of Dynamite Entertainment's Red Sonja series, suggesting that Marvel either never had ownership of him or decided to give him up for some reason.

So should the Crossover concept be added to his appearances in the Marvel Universe?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 507

#2 pikahyper  Moderator

@netspiker: As far as I know he was never Marvel's so probably still part of the Robert E. Howards estate, makes sense to use crossover.

NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Kulan Gath has now appeared in Marvel's Savage Avengers #2-5 (2019) and is also set to appear in Dynamite's Red Sonja: Age of Chaos miniseries. So it looks like Marvel and Dynamite both think they own him, or perhaps they have some kind of agreement to share him.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 22

@netspiker: I agree with Pikahyper, unless explicitly stated by either company that they both own the rights to the character, its still a crossover.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5 fesak  Moderator

Conan and related characters are owned by Conan Properties International, and licensed to Marvel. The owners are free to license their characters to multiple publishers.

In-universe, as you know, the Conan characters existed in the past and time-travels to the present, so i guess it does not count as a crossover in this case since it's supposed to be the same universe.

No Caption Provided

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 507

#6 pikahyper  Moderator

Kind of annoying but makes sense.