Comicvine FAQ - wiki, forums, mods

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

@danhimself: Just edit the regular page, it is in the information box to the side.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By danhimself

@razzatazz: whenever I go into edit mode the first appearance remains a link to the issue with no option to change it

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

@danhimself: Oh right, in the new system, the first appearance is figured out by the additions. It is probably that Tim Drake was never in that issue and should probably be removed.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I just wanted to save an edit, when CV said "Oops an Error occured" and now I can't save the page anymore.

I added over 60 characters could that be the reason? (it's a comic collection with over 500 pages)

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 455

#108 pikahyper  Moderator

@emh_bruce: you most likely added a deleted page as an association.

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By EMH_Bruce

@pikahyper: Oh, okay, this means I have to go through all characters I wanted to add and find the one who got deleted.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 pikahyper  Moderator

@emh_bruce: well not every single one, the majority should be pretty obvious that they are not gone.

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: I went through all those characters who could have been deleted, but everyone of them was aviable. Could it be, because I also wanted to put a date in? Not an exact date, only the year 1987.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 pikahyper  Moderator

@emh_bruce: nah not the date, how about a creator or another association type?

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: hmm, no I hadn't added any creators at that time, only characters, the date and two objects (Kryptonite and Webbs instead of Web Shooters).

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: since with the new system the first appearance are determined by additions in the appearance list how do we go about changing the first appearance of a character if it's wrong on their page?

also if we have live edit permission and we don't make any changes but make a comment do the mods get that comment?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@danhimself: check the dates, most of the time first appearance inaccuracies are caused by dates.

if you have live edits no we wouldn't see any comments made, you'd be better of posting in E&T or PMing someone.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By danhimself

@pikahyper: ok so here's the problem...Miss Martian's first appearance is Teen Titans #37 but the wiki has it listed as Novos Titas #18...Teen Titans is listed as August 2006 and Novos Titans is listed as January 2006 here and on wikipedia...I can't find any different publication date for Novos anywhere but it's impossible for it to have came out before Teen Titans since it's only reprints made in Brazil....so what do you think I should do?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@danhimself: wasn't dates in this case, best guess someone tagged her and every other Titan from the 3rd volume for any foreign edition that reprinted a volume 3 issue of Teen Titans. I'm not sure why you saw Novos Titas #18 as her first appearance, I saw DC Universe #2 which reprinted Teen Titans v3 #7, each issue of DC Universe reprinted one issue from volume 3 starting with TT #6 so I had to remove her from 8 foreign issues before she showed up at TT #37.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: ok it was you lol...I asked in the e&t forum and no one answered and I saw it changing but no one had answered me so I assumed that someone was so concerned with getting a few points that they went and started changing things lol..

The reason I saw Novos and you saw DCU was because I changed Novos's release date up one year trying to fix it but it just put DCU as her first appearance

I think they need to change the system so that we can just put an issue as the first appearance instead of worrying about release dates

thanks for the help

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 pikahyper  Moderator

@danhimself: well they had the right intentions, the main problem is that since the date structure changed from the old site where it was broken up into three fields into just one the php programming language fills in the gaps and defaults to 1 so when a lot of foreign comics only had the year attached the new site defaulted everything to 1/1/XXXX so that made a huge mess of things, the other problem is users that just want points and they abuse the foreign issues when they have no clue what they really reprint and that is why we tell editors that if they don't exactly what is collected only cover appearances should be added.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 pikahyper  Moderator

@danhimself: oh and you shouldn't have changed the year for Novos Titas #18, you made the data incorrect, you can tell by the cover that it reprinted Teen Titans #17 which did not include Miss Martian so the appearance needed to be removed not the date changed.

thegreat4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm using a mobile device, and I can't seem to find the threads that I watch

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By w0nd

I notice when i first joint recent topics would show up on the bottom of the page. Is that removed or is there a setting?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So whats up with notifications and messages? Why am i not notified any more when someone replies to me on a forum or quotes what i said in a forum?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 pikahyper  Moderator

@w0nd said:

I notice when i first joint recent topics would show up on the bottom of the page. Is that removed or is there a setting?

When site performance gets sluggish it gets disabled, it is supposed to be back soon.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 pikahyper  Moderator
GaryWinush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really nice thread, love it.

Dzhak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi guys, I hope this question isn't too ridiculously stupid... How do I quote a comment above me?

So that it says @somebody said: and then indents the text?

Again sorry if that's simple, I am a techno cave man, and this my first forum!

renchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 147

User Lists: 10

@dzhak said:

Hi guys, I hope this question isn't too ridiculously stupid... How do I quote a comment above me?

So that it says @somebody said: and then indents the text?

Again sorry if that's simple, I am a techno cave man, and this my first forum!

What I did was hit a quote button in the comment that you posted. The button hides until you hover your arrow in the box of the comment you want to quote.

Dzhak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renchamp: Ah-ha I see. I think the reason I couldn't work it out is that I'm working off of a mobile device (Nexus7) so I can't actually hover...

Might not be able to use the quote function for now...

Never mind, I'm hoping soon to have a shiney new PC with full quote and hover capabilities. Good times.

Thanks very much. :)

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

With the new layout that was just rolled out a couple days ago, is it possible to exclude certain forums from view? I don't want to see Off Topic, Battles or RPG because they have so many threads. Do I have to go through and favorite everything else so I can see everything except for those three forums? I don't mind how it is now on the desktop, because it is easy to switch to other forums but I usually have it up on the mobile which is a little more tedius to change.

I'm also not a fan of having the Logout button right below the forum button on the mobile site. I end up hitting it half the time and end up logging out. Then I start over compensating and hitting the help button right above the forum button.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 pikahyper  Moderator

@cap10nate: only way to filter forums is via the favorites system.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@pikahyper: Ok. Thanks for the reply. Have a great day.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 pikahyper  Moderator
Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hi guys. Been on the Vine a while now but just becoming active again and working out the complexities of the new(ish) site. How do i search for a particular post in one of the forums now?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 pikahyper  Moderator
renchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 147

User Lists: 10

@feebadger: Forum search has been down for a while, so Pika's Google suggestion is really the only option for now. (It's being worked on. At least that is the rumor.)

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question: If a character doesn't appear in a book, because the look-alike in the comic (and the cover) is a robot, then the character shouldn't be credited, or am I wrong?

It's about Iron Man #9 - ...There Lives A Green Goliath where Iron Man battles a Hulk robot and I would like to remove Hulk's appearance. (If I want to read about Hulk, I want to read about the real thing, not a robot)

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 pikahyper  Moderator

@emh_bruce: I'm not a big fan of that myself, for that instance I'd say go ahead and remove it.

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers