Capitalize Proper Names

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

OK, realizing some people submitting haven't passed high school English, here's the thing- you need to capitalize proper names. That means DO write Wolverine, Aunt May, Super Sayan Vegetable Lasagna, etc notice the first letter is capitalized. DON'T write wolverine, aunt may, superman, hulk, etc. Notice the first letters are uncapitalized. That might be fine in the forums or when you're IMing your bff "OMG PONIES hulk rulz", not good for an encyclopedic website because it ends up reading like said IM conversation.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#2  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I'm laughing but that's serious.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

AMEN. If names or beginning of sentences aren't CAPITALIZED, I reject the submission.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Methos

same here

M

Kim K.E.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Kim K.E.

"IDK MY BFF JILL?" ok I had to say that >_>; but ya I know I only mess that up when I'm half asleep ^^; which was once o.o if I remember correctly....

D:< yeps

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Shatterstar says:

"OK, realizing some people submitting haven't passed high school English, here's the thing- you need to capitalize proper names. That means DO write Wolverine, Aunt May, Super Sayan Vegetable Lasagna, etc notice the first letter is capitalized. DON'T write wolverine, aunt may, superman, hulk, etc. Notice the first letters are uncapitalized. That might be fine in the forums or when you're IMing your bff "OMG PONIES hulk rulz", not good for an encyclopedic website because it ends up reading like said IM conversation."

I agree entirely.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

G-Man says:

"AMEN. If names or beginning of sentences aren't CAPITALIZED, I reject the submission. "

I didn't think of that, sounds like more angry PMs.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Darkchild

Shatterstar says:

"OK, realizing some people submitting haven't passed high school English, here's the thing- you need to capitalize proper names. That means DO write Wolverine, Aunt May, Super Sayan Vegetable Lasagna, etc notice the first letter is capitalized. DON'T write wolverine, aunt may, superman, hulk, etc. Notice the first letters are uncapitalized. That might be fine in the forums or when you're IMing your bff "OMG PONIES hulk rulz", not good for an encyclopedic website because it ends up reading like said IM conversation."

yeah i agree with that. i mean it just looks taky

GuardianAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By GuardianAngel

Shatterstar, thank you. You make me feel like less of a b&&&& when I get angry about typos and grammar.

Starleafgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Starleafgirl

GuardianAngel says:

"Shatterstar, thank you. You make me feel like less of a b&&&& when I get angry about typos and grammar."

Same here, lol. They make me so mad sometimes! How difficult is it to type proper English?? Most of these people making those mistakes know how to capitalize, spell, and punctuate, but they don't bother... sigh...

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By fesak  Moderator

G-Man says:

"AMEN. If names or beginning of sentences aren't CAPITALIZED, I reject the submission. "

Maybe i'm too nice. I usually change it and approve.

Superkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Superkitty

Lets hope there's not an e.e. cummings comic book out there...

Today's special capitalization rule: When it comes to compass directions (north, south, etc.), capitalize sections, not directions. For example you would type "old West" because that's a section of the U.S., but you would type "he drove west" because that's the direction he went.

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Resonate

hahahahahahahaha

we should have a Comicvine initiation IQ test for newbies, if they can't write a sentence with correct english grammar then they can't submit

Idk why someone would do that...I've only left out a capital in a sub once or twice, and thats becasue it was a two letter word and I was typing so fast

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

We do have a test, sort of. First 1000 points of submissions go to moderation. Usually people with the writing issues end up submitting nothing but pictures after getting a few subs rejected.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Someone took this a little to literally. Could someone please change this page so that the character's name is not all capital letters? It has been driving me crazy forever now and I am finally asking because the links no longer break when changing page titles.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By fesak  Moderator
@jloneblackheart said:
" Someone took this a little to literally. Could someone please change this page so that the character's name is not all capital letters? It has been driving me crazy forever now and I am finally asking because the links no longer break when changing page titles. "
Yes.
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Thanks

EyeQuestOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By EyeQuestOn

@shatterstar:

I was in school in the '60s and '70s so greatly appreciate your stance on the 'proper use of English'. So many thanks for your input... AND your, what I suppose to be, humorous use of the name "Super Sayan Vegetable Lasagna". [Please confirm: it really is your own made-up name?] Will be using the U.K. standards for spelling which I can see is going to be, for me, an ongoing problem! Maybe, we should all re-read our posts at least TWICE to check for spelling, syntax, punctuation, grammar et al!

Peace and regards from,

Ian.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shatterstar  Moderator

@shatterstar:

I was in school in the '60s and '70s so greatly appreciate your stance on the 'proper use of English'. So many thanks for your input... AND your, what I suppose to be, humorous use of the name "Super Sayan Vegetable Lasagna". [Please confirm: it really is your own made-up name?] Will be using the U.K. standards for spelling which I can see is going to be, for me, an ongoing problem! Maybe, we should all re-read our posts at least TWICE to check for spelling, syntax, punctuation, grammar et al!

Peace and regards from,

Ian.

Holy moley this is a 6 and half year old thread. Yes that's a made up name & I think you'll do fine with UK standards, superfluous u's and all.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 581

#20 pikahyper  Moderator

It is so sad that this is still a constant problem with editors...

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 581

#22 pikahyper  Moderator