Can we get a Star Wars forum?

• 64 results
Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

there are forums for individual things in the Star Wars universe like Darth Vader and stuff, but no just general Star Wars forum. Can we get a Forum for that?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No see that is exactly what I'm talking about. That is just a forum for a volume. Which is why it's such a small underused bored. There isn't any Star Wars concept wiki page and for some reason my wiki submission didn't get added... There is no page that just explains the star wars time line, the locations in it, and the movies/extended media as a whole.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I concur. A star wars forum is in order. If there actually isn't one already.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bump

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Teerack

I checked why the page I tried to create was denied.

pikahyper denied it with the reason being "Probably because it isn't a concept it is a franchise." can someone who understands the definition of the word concept approve it? Or do i need to resubmit it.

There is no such thing as a franchise wiki page, so if you seriously think that a franchise doesn't fall under the idea of a concept then let me explain the meaning of the words for you.

Franchise - a general title or concept used for creating or marketing a series of products, typically films or television shows.

The FIRST THING that the actual definition you can look up with a simple google search says it is a concept.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#7 pikahyper  Moderator

@teerack: I'm not going to let you modify the wiki just so you can have your own forum, if such a concept page existed it would just be abused and insulting me sure as hell won't help your case.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: How would it be abused?

I'm just trying to make a normal wiki entry... How the hell would it be my own forum?.... do you actually not know how comicvine/giantbomb's website is set up? It would just create a Star Wars forum since there isn't a Star Wars forum already like any other page... it wouldn't be my own forum...

Why is the Star Wars Universe different from earth 2? or earth 7 or literally any other reality? I'm being serious when I ask if you are just completely ignorant as to what goes into the concept part of the wiki? Star Wars is it's own universe so why wouldn't it get it's own page?

It's not insulting you... You were wrong in the meaning of the words. If that embarrasses you that's not really on me.

You don't seem to have any reason for why it shouldn't exist other then pettiness.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care how it's set up but I got to admit it would be nice to have a page that focuses on the Star Wars Universe. As of now if I was going to create a thread it would be on the general forums which isn't really the right place to put it though the best option for now.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pikahyper  Moderator

@teerack: Franchise pages are a specific type of wiki page, ComicVine does not use them, most of our old sisters sites do but the feature never came over here for some unknown reason.

The way it looks to me with your limited wiki experience you want there to be a Star Wars forum and you are doing whatever you can to justify it without knowing or caring what it does to the wiki. The way I understand the platform the site is built on the engineers can't just make a forum, the platform was created with a set number of base forums that are stand-alone like Editing & Tools and Off-Topic, new ones can't be added and none can be deleted hence why we still have the Delete/Combine forum even though it hasn't been used in like six years, any other forums added to the site have to be attached to a wiki page which is fine but creating a Star Wars concept page will lead to wiki abuse, in your own explanation you want such a concept page to be a main repository of all things Star Wars, that means users would most likely start copy/pasting content from other Star Wars wiki pages on CV and offsite which we do not allow, editors will also start attaching the concept page to every Star Wars comic on the site and add massive amounts of associations which we call point whoring. We've had these kinds of concept pages before and they do not work out and they are always abused, most of them are now gone and the few left are because they've been forgotten or are no longer popular. Now if the staff saw a reason to make a Star Wars concept page they would have by now so I suggest you just use what already exists like the Jedi concept page.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#12 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@teerack: You did indeed start this rudely.

@pikahyper Do we not have similar pages? We do have Star Trek and Stargate. And wasn't @jedixman supposed to make a Star Wars concept page forever ago to make all the Star Wars concepts a little more concise?

I think it could be abused but could be beneficial as well. It's at least worth discussing, although not in the manner that it was started here.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@jloneblackheart: jedix had discussed it before and if he was doing it I would totally support it because I know he would keep on top of it, maintain it and keep the abuse from other editors to a minimum and he knows what should be on such a page but at this point with the manner it is being brought up in I don't trust it staying beneficial and I'm always leery of people wanting to make changes to the wiki just to suit themselves be it in the forum or through the API.

And yes we do have other similar pages but the majority have gone pretty bad or were previously bad, that Star Trek page used to be a nightmare four or five years ago. The way the OP described this proposed Star Wars concept page though it sounds like the majority of it would be redundant and prone to copy/paste point whoring from the existing pages around the wiki (like all the family Team pages that used to be here) instead of being something useful like the Stargate page.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14 JediXMan  Moderator

@pikahyper: @jloneblackheart:

There are some things that I want to do for the Star Wars pages on this site, but not at the present stage. In my opinion, we need more in the new canon before that can happen outside of the Clone Wars (and some Marvel comics which are still early), and there needs to be discussion regarding how it is handled.

I don't really see the point in a "Star Wars" page, since the aspects of it can be discussed in the many pages already devoted to it. Yes, some of the concepts were combined, but some of them were a tad messy, and they still are. I intended to do some work in respect to combining certain pages, but now I think I want to wait until the status quo becomes... well, accepted as the status quo. The only way a Star Wars page would work is as a meta hub page defining how canon works (Star Wars canon can actually have its own page, honestly - pre-Disney and post-Disney continuity classifications).

I don't see the point at the present time, and any "Star Wars" page probably wouldn't be what the TC intended. It would likely be more concentrated on specific attributes. I certainly don't want to make abrupt changes; changes to Star Wars pages on this site have to be done after some planning, which I have been thinking about.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pikahyper  Moderator

@jedixman: exactly why I trust you on this subject :D we definitely need more canon clarification before attempting something so big, way too much is still in the air.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By fesak  Moderator

A while back we talked about changing the Jedi concept page (since we also have a Jedi team page) into a general Star Wars universe page, but nothing came of it. Just throwing it out there.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There most definitely should be a Star Wars forum.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Teerack

@pikahyper: I'm not saying to create a new sub category just to make the Star Wars wiki page. I am saying that categorizing a franchise as a concept does hold up and is a fine placement for the page.

@jedixman: Isn't the point of the wiki to make it as complete as we can? Right now we are months from a new Star Wars movie, and Marvel has been killing it with their SW comics so far. Star Wars IS popular people want to talk about Star Wars, but there isn't a place to do it. With just one Netflix trailer the Daredevil forum kicked DC Comics out of the most popular forums, can you image all of the discussion that a new SW movie will generate?

Take the Batman forum for example. Batman is a character but he is also a franchise. When people want to post about Batman movies, tv shows, comics, or even something more specific related to batman they go to the Batman forum.

Now if you want to talk about Star Wars movies, tv shows, books, video games, or something specific to the star wars universe where would you post it? As it is now there isn't any big Star Wars forums so when people make the thread in either General discussion or very under used forum for one volume or star wars or something the post doesn't get seen by a lot of people because it gets buried.

The way people use these forums is simple. First they just click on forums to see what the newest threads are, but then they check on forums for things relevant to their interests like the X-Men forum for example. So many of the threads in the x-men forums are about completely different things, and some times take a few days to have a discussion really build up. That whole experience is just non existent for Star Wars.

Maybe I'm just really wrong about how the wiki stuff is usually done on this site, but the fastest and easiest way to make a good wiki page is to get it going. I mean it doesn't need to be 100% done the second it's posted that is the whole concept behind a wiki to keep on adding to it. I already had an outline of how i was going to structure the wiki on my other computer. I'll post it here later, and you can see if you want to maybe allow it to start.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pikahyper  Moderator

@teerack: if you had submitted that as is you would have been banned from the wiki, it has to be in your own words from the get go or it is plagiarism. Basing all of your "work" off of other sources and other peoples hard work is a very bad start.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JediXMan  Moderator

@teerack: if you had submitted that as is you would have been banned from the wiki, it has to be in your own words from the get go or it is plagiarism. Basing all of your "work" off of other sources and other peoples hard work is a very bad start.

I must agree. Even as a template, it's a bad idea. Templates don't need paragraphs - just a sentence that gives a general idea. It sets a bad precedent, and essentially means that all editing on the page will be heavily inspired by other wiki's layouts and ideas. Even if you change it to be your words, it came from another source. You would just have been altering somebody else's words while keeping the same themes and intentions.

I also fail to see why an overview needs a summary of every Star Wars movie. The only part I don't mind is the list of eras and the discussing of Legends / Disney canon (which I intended on from the start).

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Teerack

@jedixman said:
@pikahyper said:

I must agree. Even as a template, it's a bad idea. Templates don't need paragraphs - just a sentence that gives a general idea. It sets a bad precedent, and essentially means that all editing on the page will be heavily inspired by other wiki's layouts and ideas. Even if you change it to be your words, it came from another source. You would just have been altering somebody else's words while keeping the same themes and intentions.

I also fail to see why an overview needs a summary of every Star Wars movie. The only part I don't mind is the list of eras and the discussing of Legends / Disney canon (which I intended on from the start).

Well you're both acting like I didn't just explain that to you? Like I said I wasn't going to submit it to the wiki like that...

This lay out isn't found on any other wiki... It's my own lay out using some information from other wiki's as place holder until I got around to fleshing it out. I wasn't planning on showing this to anyone originally which is why I clarified what it was before I posted it. You're both pointing out things I was clearly aware of when I made my post...

The reason I thought a summary of the movies would be nice to include was because the movies are what the franchise is centered around, and as of right now the number of things still considered cannon that aren't the movies are very limited. It's not super needed though if you don't want them included?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pikahyper  Moderator

@teerack: This "I was going to change each section into my own words slowly as i added to the page" sounds like you were going to submit the whole thing to the wiki and then change it.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Teerack
@pikahyper said:

@teerack: This "I was going to change each section into my own words slowly as i added to the page" sounds like you were going to submit the whole thing to the wiki and then change it.

lawl. Only if you ignore this part of my post. "but since im posting this here and not right to the wiki I'll just leave it as is so you can all help." I was going to write up the info to fill into the slots as I added to the page. Meaning once the page existed I was going to slowly add more info to it over time...

I know what I said...

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JediXMan  Moderator
@teerack said:

lawl.

Not the best way to approach this. You have been told as much.

@teerack said:

I know what I said...

You can know what you intended, but what you said is not how the comment is interpreted. The implication is that you will just alter the words you posted and rearrange the formatting - in other words: that you would only be altering the wiki pages and not starting from a blank slate with your own words.

Frankly, the fact that you did take from the wiki implies that you will be at least partially influenced by the wiki. I don't understand why you would even use it as a placeholder for your own content, when you could have simply written a sentence as a placeholder; you had no problem with using N/A as a placeholder, and we haven't questioned that aspect. But instead you used wiki pages as a placeholder.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Teerack

@jedixman: The reason i filled it with place holder things was because when I did it myself I was going to try and get it around the same length as the one that were there(i didn't even read the summaries). I suppose that is being influenced by other wiki's but not in the way you're implying. I was trying to avoid over explaining things which is an issue I find I typically have when making reviews.

Plus for me it helps me stay organized a lot. /shrug

I put N/A in the bottom parts because I didn't know of anything that could go in there. As far as I know there haven't been any novels or games post Disney(I could be wrong.) so there wasn't anything to put there.

I'm not really sure why we are having this conversation because I'm not trying to submit that post as a wiki page?

There better? (Honestly for me what I just posted looks like a confusing mess without place holder stuff. >.< )

Star Wars:

n/a

Overview

n/a

The Original Trilogy

n/a

Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope

Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi

The Prequel Trilogy

n/a

Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace

Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones

Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Sequel Trilogy

The Star Wars sequel trilogy is an upcoming film trilogy that begins approximately thirty years after the ending of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens

Star Wars: Episode VIII

Star Wars: Episode IX

The Expanded Universe

n/a

Legends

n/a

Story Eras

Time is ladled using the Galactic Standard Calendar. BBY stands for Before the Battle of Yavin, and ABY stands for After the Battle of Yavin.

• Before the Republic (37,000 BBY—25,000 BBY)
  • The Old Republic (25,000 BBY - 1,000 BBY)
  • The Rise of the Empire (1,000 BBY - 0 BBY)
  • The Rebellion (0 BBY - 5 ABY)
  • The New Republic (5 ABY - 25 ABY)
  • The New Jedi Order (25 ABY - 36 ABY)
  • Legacy (40 ABY - 138+ ABY)

n/a

Current Continuity(Post-Diseny)

Though it is possible that some other past expanded universe works will be confirmed to still be cannon as of now these are the only properties we know for sure.

Film/TV

• Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999 Film) - 32 BBY
  • Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002 Film) - 22 BBY
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003 TV) - 22 BBY-19 BBY
  • The Clone Wars (2008 Film) - 22 BBY
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008 TV) - 22 BBY-19 BBY
  • Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005 Film) - 19 BBY
  • Star Wars: Rebels (2014 TV) - 5 BBY
  • Episode IV: A New Hope (1977 Film) - 0 BBY
  • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980 Film) - 3 ABY
  • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983 Film) - 4 ABY
  • Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015 Film) –

Marvel Comics

The new comics being published by Marvel comics are considered part of the current continuity.

• Star Wars (2015-Ongoing)
  • Darth Vader (2015-Ongiing)
  • Princess Leia (2015)
  • Star Wars: Kanan: The Last Padawan (2015)

Video Games

N/A

Novels

N/A

Other

N/A

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Teerack

@teerack: Here is a first draft.

I haven't watched the movies in so long I didn't feel comfortable summarizing them if someone else would be willing to, but I can watch them and do it if I need to. You said you didn't like that it had summaries though?

I also just want to make it clear this lay out isn't based off anything. I laid it out like this. The other one was full of stuff I didn't even read. The only things i even read in the first outline i posted was the story era stuff and expanded universe/legends stuff.

Star Wars: Star Wars is a legendary space opera franchise created by George Lucas. The franchise all stems from an original movie trilogy which has since spawned a prequel trilogy and an upcoming sequel trilogy. The franchise has also expanded far beyond the films with many novels, comics, video games, TV shows, toys, and other media becoming one of the most explored and fleshed out fictional universes ever with a deep history or lore.

Overview

Star Wars is one of the most successful franchises of all time making its way into many different forums of consumables such as video games, comic books, novels, TV shows, movies, animations, music, toys, and more.

Star Wars has also become an embedded part of modern culture making it almost the norm to understand various jokes, references, and image tropes associated with the franchise.

The Original Trilogy

The original Trilogy or sometimes Classic Trilogy was created by George Lucas and released in between 1977-1983.

• Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
  • Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
  • Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi

The Prequel Trilogy

The Prequel Trilogy were the second set of movies to be released from 1999-2005 also created by George Lucas. These films are set 32 years before the star of the Original Trilogy.

• Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
  • Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
  • Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Sequel Trilogy

The Star Wars sequel trilogy is an upcoming film trilogy that begins approximately thirty years after the ending of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi

• Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
  • Star Wars: Episode VIII
  • Star Wars: Episode IX
Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

If Marvel makes some Star Wars/Marvel crossover comics, would the universe they take place in be eligible to become a concept page?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Teerack

@deathstroke52: @jayc1324: @billy_batson: @dernman: @arturocalakayvee: @fesak: @renchamp: @pikahyper: @pikahyper: @jedixman:@v_scarlotte_rose: Hey I just want to apologize for how I was acting in this thread last week to all who ready my awful posts. We really didn't make any progress in the discussion because I was being a dick and you the only replies i was getting were just counters to my dickness. I'm bipolar and when I'm having a bad down i try to avoid the internet, but i guess i just submitted this wiki entry at an awful time and let my own stupid imbalanced brain lash out at some of you. I wish i could say that wasn't me, but it was just an ugly shameful part of me i wish didn't exist. I am super disappointed in my failure to keep myself in check and am so embarrassed by all of this. I'm sincerely sorry for my attitude and hope we can just have a normal conversion about this now. No need to post weather or not you care/are accepting my apology lets just get back on topic.

@jedixman: So I was considering what someone suggested above about how Star Wars continuity could have it's own wiki page. I think it makes the most sense because to do it right you would probably have to have do one big Star Wars: Legends page and then one smaller one for Disney continuity.

I wasn't really sure how we left off on the top because we never really got back to it. You did agree that there should be a concept page for the franchise itself right? So that there could be a general Star Wars forum so people can make threads about anything related to Star Wars and not have to place it in a random place and have it not attracted the attention of the people who it would be relevant to.

For me this is more important for the forums, the community, and the entire star wars fan-dom on this site. It's just to have this forum we need to set up a page for it first.

So here is my attempt at a Star Wars franchise wiki entry page. Please comment and offer criticism so that we can get this done. I really want this and there are other people want it to. I need you and other wiki mods/members to help on this because I really don't update the wiki much and you guys are better and more experienced at it then me by a lot.

Here is what I got so far.

No Caption Provided

Star Wars: A space opera made up of three movie trilogies, TV shows, books, comics, video games, and other media all set withing a futuristic sci-fi fantasy universe long ago in a galaxy far, far away. Star Wars was originally created by legendary film maker George Lucas.

Overview

Star Wars was first created back in 1977 by George Lucas with the release of the movie Star Wars which would later be renamed Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. The movie was a huge success having used new technology to create it's special effects unlike anything done at the time. The franchise would continued to have success in the following years in 1980 with the release of a second movie Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi and then again in 1983 with Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi.

No Caption Provided

Many years later the original trilogy would be followed up with a prequel trilogy consisting of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, and Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. Taking place 32 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope and setting the stage for the original trilogy.The Prequel Trilogy was released from 1999 to 2005.

During the years in between and after the movie releases the franchise was kept alive with a steady amount of new content ranging from toys, TV specials, collectibles, comics, novels, conventions, among other things. Backed by heavy support from many passionate fans.

On Oct 30, 2012 Disney shocked the world by suddenly buying out Lucasfilm for $4.05B including ILM, and LucasArts. They also announced an upcoming S equal Trilogy taking place 30 years after the events of the Original Trilogy.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pikahyper  Moderator

@teerack: the new version looks good, the use of syfy instead of sci-fi is a bit odd though and your second to last paragraph needs some work.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Teerack

@pikahyper: I never actually knew it was sc-fi and not syfy. >.< I just used to watch Syfy network a lot growing up and never questioned it. That's good to know.

I changed up the paragraph you said needed work.

What other things do you think the page would need? I was thinking about having a Star Wars in pop culture little section.

Thanks for the help.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pikahyper  Moderator

@teerack: scifi or sci-fi, I think syfy is owned by the syfy channel now, you must be pretty young then cause they've only been syfy since '09.

A pop culture section would make sense under its own h2 above an Other Media section.

Other then info in the canon sections you won't need much detail about the movies as it would be redundant and other then a very basic overview the movie wiki pages should be linked to for further info viewing, same goes for any other media types and links to GB should be used above any short video game descriptions. You just have to be very careful about redundancy/overlap.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Teerack

@pikahyper: I'm 24. I watched it a lot in my teens I guess i just didn't pay attention to the logo that much and only remember it as it's current one.

what do you mean when you say it's own "h2" ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So are we getting a star wars forum?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@teerack: h2 = header 2, its the button drop down that says Paragraph

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Teerack

@pikahyper: Okay... can we just submit this as the wiki page now? I think the cannon stuff should be it's own page for another time.

No Caption Provided

Star Wars: A space opera made up of three movie trilogies, TV shows, books, comics, video games, and other media all set withing a futuristic sci-fi fantasy universe long ago in a galaxy far, far away. Star Wars was originally created by legendary film maker George Lucas.

Overview

Star Wars was first created back in 1977 by George Lucas with the release of the movie Star Wars which would later be renamed Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. The movie was a huge success having used new technology to create it's special effects unlike anything done at the time. The franchise would continued to have success in the following years in 1980 with the release of a second movie Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi and then again in 1983 with Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi.

No Caption Provided

Many years later the original trilogy would be followed up with a prequel trilogy consisting of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, and Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. Taking place 32 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope and setting the stage for the original trilogy.The Prequel Trilogy was released from 1999 to 2005.

During the years in between and after the movie releases the franchise was kept alive with a steady amount of new content ranging from toys, TV specials, collectibles, comics, novels, conventions, among other things. Backed by heavy support from many passionate fans.

On Oct 30, 2012 Disney shocked the world by suddenly buying out Lucasfilm for $4.05B including ILM, and LucasArts. They also announced an upcoming sequal trilogy taking place 30 years after the events of the Original Trilogy.

Star Wars Legends

No Caption Provided

Originally all video games, novels, comics, and others stories set in the Star Wars Universe were part of one almost seamless continuity with nearly no contradictions. The universe story is told through out hundreds of different installments in all forms of media covering stories panning over 37,000 years.

On April 25, 2014, Lucasfilm announced that the Expanded Universe would no longer be considered canon and would be re-branded as Star Wars Legends. This sparked a lot of controversy and debate between fans over what can still be considered cannon.

Pop Culture

No Caption Provided

Star Wars has evolved far beyond what anyone could have expected becoming a core part of pop culture with references, jokes, internet memes, and festivals still relevant over three decades past it's original creation. There has even been some religious and political influences brought about by the franchise. Star Wars has had such an impact in culture that characters like Darth Vader can be recognized almost as universally as Mickey Mouse. Star Wars was one of the first movies to be so popular among so many different cultures around the world that it actually did a lot to unify lots of very diverse people.

To this day Star Wars has held an influence on science fiction introducing many different sci-fi tropes and concepts. The sounds and aesthetic of many modern day sci-fi designs can be rooted back to the original trilogy.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pikahyper  Moderator

@teerack: Overview section sequel instead of S equel. Canon has one n. The second half of the first sentence from the second paragraph of the Legends section needs work. Pop Culture section first reference Star Wars instead of Star wars. Mickey Mouse instead of Micky Mouse. Images need to be right aligned.

As for the decision to add it now I'll leave that up to @jedixman.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: okay. I made those revisions. I guess will just wait and see now. I'm going to bed. Good night.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pikahyper  Moderator

@teerack: looks good, sequel trilogy doesn't need to be title case though.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#42 fesak  Moderator

Looks like a great start to me, nice work

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Teerack
Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think anyone is going to respond anymore.... should i just try submitting it?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 pikahyper  Moderator

@teerack: it's only been a few days not a week, most likely he doesn't even know since notifications rarely work, try PMing him. He is our Star Wars expert so I'd rather wait on his approval.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Teerack
@pikahyper said:

@teerack: it's only been a few days not a week, most likely he doesn't even know since notifications rarely work, try PMing him. He is our Star Wars expert so I'd rather wait on his approval.

Weird idk if it was the computer I was on or what but I could have sworn the time of your last post said 4 days and something hours.

I did post on his wall yesterday. I don't want to keep harassing him, so I'll wait till the week end before I PM him.

Before you posted I did already submit it and it's pending, but I explained that it's waiting for his approval and the full extent of what will be in the wiki would be in here and linked to my post. I thought maybe he'd be more likely to check that stuff then this thread.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pikahyper  Moderator

@teerack: no rush, with the site as buggy as it is it is hard keeping in contact, I've noticed for a lot of users that they don't get notified of wall posts even if notifications are working so I always tell people to get in the habit of checking their notification page regularly to keep up to date on potential wall posts.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 pikahyper  Moderator

@teerack: jedi could also still be reeling from todays announcement that the whole expanded universe is no longer canon, gotta be big blow for anyone that has spent all this time reading all the comics and books.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Teerack

@pikahyper: They already announced that in April 2014. That was when they re-branded the name of the expanded universe to Star Wars Legends as non canon. The announcement they made yesterday(or today?) was just about how they would be coming out with at least 20 different books to start filling in all of the huge gaps they now have. I'm hoping Disney will at least give a name to the Disney Continuity Universe so that you can easily say the Legends continuity or the "_____" continuity. Even if it's something simple like Prime continuity I would be happy with that just to give it a term since people have to just say Post-Disney currently.

@jedixman

I guess I'll just bring this up now so that Jedi can look at it later. I was thinking there could be another wiki page that would be all about the continuity of star wars but would take some real work and time to do. The way I think the page could be set up should be like this.

Star Wars Universe:

The setting of the star wars franchises.

General Setting

Common Technology

n/a

Notable Factions

n/a

Notable Races

n/a

Notable Places

n/a

Time Periods

n/a

Disney Continuity

Go over the current continuity stuff.

Star Wars Legends

Go over all form Expanded Universe history

Or maybe just use the same format for two pages. One for the current stuff and one for Legends.