Ares pages?

• 61 results
X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

@x35: we would never even think about merging Thor or Hercules into PD's, too many search hits.

Well possibility of merging Marvel's Ares has already been brought up...and he was a pretty prominent piece of wallpaper for a few years...

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#52 pikahyper  Moderator

@x35: eh Ares isn't that important to search results, basically any of the biggest names and anyone in a movie we don't touch.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Outside_85

@pikahyper: Might I ask why you began merging all these PD charcters into the same threads to begin with, as far as I can tell, all it's done is delete the work of a bunch of contributors and left behind some very empty pages. On top of this, it seems to be for no really good reason as many of those PD characters shares little to no semblance to the myths and stories that inspired them?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#54 pikahyper  Moderator
Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Outside_85
Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think it should be arranged the same way wikipedia manages it. You have one main page for the mythological being where you can type in all the info you have, and at the bottom you are provided links to the various publisher's version of the character.

For one you get a less cluttered page where the info on the different comic incarnations are bound to be several times the size of the myths info box. Secondly readers get their information just by clicking on the search bar image. They won't get confused by having to shift through several other characters that mostly only share the background. And the argument that it's an alternate version, that should only be a rule when it's under a single publisher (which will mostly be Marvel), because there is little to no chance DC's Ares will travel time, or cross dimensional borders in order to meet with the actual myth or Marvels.

I dont really pretend to understand why it's been decided to do this, but if it was to make things more simple, this is a step in the other direction.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By X35

someone searches for ares, they get 10+ ares pages as results, it's not helpful at all. and a lot of these gods have nothing at all separating them from myth in comics, they're not all thors. for example horus or vishnu or whatever god you choose out of a hat have appeared in comics from multiple publishers but not heavily and not anywhere near divergent enough to warrant their own pages for each publisher.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone searches for Ares on Comicvine, chances are good they are looking for either DC's or Marvels, if they wanted the myth they would have gone to wikipedia.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#59 JediXMan  Moderator
@x35 said:

someone searches for ares, they get 10+ ares pages as results, it's not helpful at all. and a lot of these gods have nothing at all separating them from myth in comics, they're not all thors. for example horus or vishnu or whatever god you choose out of a hat have appeared in comics from multiple publishers but not heavily and not anywhere near divergent enough to warrant their own pages for each publisher.

I do agree with you, for the most part. I would not ask that the Thor and Odin who appeared in Sandman be given their own pages. All I am saying is that DC's and Marvel's Ares pages differ enough to warrant their own pages.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@x35: Might I add that if you type in Ares in CV's search-bar, you get 5 characters; Marvel's (619 appearances), the PD version that's been fused to DC's (236 appearances), an A. M. Works character (3), an Image character that's a white tiger (2) and a BB Comics character (1). Then you get all the different volumes of books and items that's associated with the name and one alias page for Mars.

While on the other hand if you search for Robin, you end up with 3 volumes, 3 people, 1 duo, 1 Robin character, Nightwing and Hawkeye... you are welcome to try and explain to me how a newcomer to CV is going to find anything in that pile if they don't have name other than Robin.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jesus christ, just let it go.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52