A question about default images?

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By BlueEcho

I am looking to find a picture for Manuel Preitano, but there doesn't seem to be one anywhere on the internet that I can find. I have noticed some others use placeholders of their own art on their pages (Elena Casagrande, Chrissie Zullo). Is there some guideline for something that I can upload for Preitano seeing as I cannot actually find a portrait style picture?

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For instance could I crop out the middle image on the right and put it as his default pic seeing as he drew it?

No Caption Provided

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3 fesak  Moderator

Sure, why not

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#4 pikahyper  Moderator

@blueecho: @fesak: I dunno that is kind of confusing if it isn't obviously not them, for actual creators I think it is best to stick to a picture of them or as a fall back a self portrait type illustration they did of themselves, many creators create avatars of themselves for online usage.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

@pikahyper:

There are quite a few creators who don't even have drawn portraits.

BB

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pikahyper  Moderator

@billy_batson: well its not like we've always had high standards, finding creator images can be pretty difficult when they don't work for the big two, we all do a lot better with newer creators though especially as they are added but older creator pages tend to not be updated like ever.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper:

There are some new creators who are pretty secretive like Aco, who don't release much info about themselves.

BB

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pikahyper  Moderator

@billy_batson: yep, I never said we added default images for all newer creators, these days though we do add creator images for a much larger percentage of creator pages then say three years ago.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper:

Yeah, I get that. I'm just saying that even some newer creators don't necessarily release images of themselves.

BB

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pikahyper  Moderator

@billy_batson: oh of course not, smaller the publisher the less likely it is too, also depends on their role, it is more likely to find pics of artists (all types) and writers but not so likely for editors, letterers, translators, designers, etc.. Also depends of the personality/ego of the creator, some creators are still embarrassed to work in the industry, some see it as a temp thing or don't see it as that big a deal to be out there even though part of the job is selling yourself not just your comic.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fesak  Moderator

It's always been a thing to upload the same images to character/etc and artist, and it used to be that default images were set automatically if there weren't any so there's plenty of leftovers from that feature. Imo artwork by the artist is better than nothing. Speaking of that, why did they remove the ability to see where images are uploaded to? it was a great way to find out who the artists were from the character galleries.

Anyway i get more upset when people change the default cv unknown pic for the ??? one. What is the purpose of that?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pikahyper  Moderator

@fesak: I actually prefer the ??? one to mullet head, I've been sick of that guy for years. I've actually received multiple complaints from creators who have contacted me about being associated with mullet head and they have extremely valid arguments like that it makes them look unprofessional or that it is insulting to female creators, very valid arguments.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fesak  Moderator

Really? That's... I forget people take offense by anything.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pikahyper  Moderator

@fesak: yep, I've been yelled and cursed at a bunch of times lol cause they think it is oh so easy to dig up images, I just tell them that with the amount of new creators I add per week I can only spend so much time on each creator, I'm not just going to randomly start searching linkedin, twitter and facebook and hope that the I'm looking up the right version of that person, with some names that is a needle in a haystack especially with privacy settings hiding various info.

I do understand the concerns though, mullet head is not very professional and I'm sure few women want their creator avatar to be of a cartoon guy that belongs in the 80's, doubt they would want a current cartoon guy either though.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe there should be some kind of default image that we use for these creators then? Something like a picture of something less weird than the default guy.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Billy Batson

There's also the fact that visitor a creator page might think that the mullet head is artwork by the creator (assuming they don't stumble upon other creators with mullet heads)

BB

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Well, mullet head is almost ten years old by now so maybe it‘s time for a new default.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@fesak: @blueecho: I've been asking for a new one for years, if I recall a staff member made mullet head so I'm guessing he is grandfathered in like that gif of Dave when you save a wiki edit, I've been asking for that to be replaced too but I replaced it years ago with my own scripts.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Yes but why not just upload one to some gallery and use it as a default yourself, if you know what I mean. Something like a picture of a pencil for a writer or something like that.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BlueEcho

@pikahyper: I mean, it is like how many people run this wiki, it seems like there are only three of you or so. Why not just circumvent the problem?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pikahyper  Moderator
BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: I can see that, but it would not even be picking a battle exactly, more like just finding an easier solution than that mullet guy, especially for creators that don't want a picture but also don't want the corny looking generic guy

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pikahyper  Moderator

@blueecho: and if a staff member did make mullet head, and I'm pretty sure one did, you don't think that could turn into a problem real quick?

as much as I understand peoples problems with the image when it comes to the laundry list of things I need changed or fixed on this site just so it is usable again that image is waaaaay down on that list and seeing as how even massive bugs that are losing wiki data going on two years are the lowest priority for the engineering staff that image wouldn't even come close to making it on the list. Also I don't have time to re-read this thread but I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I have gone to them about the image before with arguments the creators have thrown at me and it did not even spark a conversation.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: I get that, I just mean in this particular situation. I don't do much wiki editing, I just fix a thing here or there, and I use the wiki mostly for issue specific information, so I don't really have the cred to be making decisions. All I am saying is that if someone like me comes in and wants to make a compromise, then the compromise could be established as some generic image, as long as they have actually really looked for an image. Though I guess my original suggestion worked too, so maybe not too much need to over analyze. After all, there can't be that many of these scenarios.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pikahyper  Moderator

@blueecho: the last time someone tried to circumvent the staff to change the default images for creators we ended up with the ??? image, not many people liked it and it died out pretty quick, I believe there were some copyright issues as well, I understand that you think this is a simple thing but it really isn't, editors and moderators that come up with new changes for the wiki and implement them on their own without backing from staff or the other mods tend to not be around for very long and I already get on the staffs nerves enough as it is. Now this back and forth is getting tedious and is wasting time, we are just going in circles, I'm already extremely busy with the new releases so for the time being please just stick with the advice you've been given on what images to use so I can go back to work.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers