Posted by inferiorego (25731 posts) - - Show Bio

Doctor Who showrunner, Steven Moffat, will be stepping down as the writer and executive producer after season 10. Revealed by the official Doctor Who twitter account, Chris Chibnall will be taking his place.

No Caption Provided

Moffat is the second showrunner in the show's history, since the series revamp in 2005, taking over for Russell T Davies. According to RadioTimes, season 10 of the show will not air until spring 2017, where Moffat's final 12-part season will air. Chibnall's debut will not happen until sometime in 2018.

Only one episode of the acclaimed science-fiction series will air in 2016 and that will be the Christmas episode. It is unclear if the current Doctor, played by Peter Capaldi, will have a new companion. Actress Jenna Coleman wrapped up her final season as Clara Oswald last season and there's been no news yet on who will be playing the Doctor's partner-in-time.

New showrunner, Chibnall, is no stranger to the "Whoniverse," having written numerous episodes of Doctor Who and the Captain Jack Harkness spin-off series, Torchwood. In addition, Chibnall was a writer and producer on Broadchurch, which starred Who alum, David Tennant.

Doctor Who returns to television for the annual Christmas episode this December and Moffat's final season will air in 2017, with Chibnall taking over the following year.

Staff
#1 Posted by theMightyMODOK (439 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting. Broadchruch is really good but they are very different shows.

#2 Posted by UltimatePower6 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hoping with this new show runner Dr Who will go back to sci-fi. In recent years I've felt like it's more fantasy

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
#3 Posted by QuinnoftheStoneAge (3663 posts) - - Show Bio

:O

#4 Posted by Mercy_ (94916 posts) - - Show Bio

#5 Posted by LiamDaniels (130 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by nateb1211 (253 posts) - - Show Bio

So because he is leaving, us fans now have to be punished by waiting for over a year just for a new season? WTF!!!!

#7 Edited by Jestersmiles (9733 posts) - - Show Bio

lol I knew people would be happy he leaving. While I am a casual whovian, I always got the impression they hated moffat.

Oh well , hope that his last season is better than usual, last two season been meh.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
#8 Posted by CurrentThor2015 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally I may be able to watch Dr Who again!

#9 Posted by lagozzino (555 posts) - - Show Bio

So Chris Chibnall wrote some of the best episodes of Torchwood, but also some of the blandest episodes of the revived Doctor Who sooooooooo I can't decide how i feel about this

#10 Posted by MakkyD (6989 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder will he try to bring stuff from Torchwood back into the Whoniverse.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
#11 Posted by thatguywithheadphones (19859 posts) - - Show Bio

Bout time.

#12 Posted by Kyle_Dornez (329 posts) - - Show Bio

Good. I wasn't on a Moffat-Hate-train usually, but by this point even I had enough of him.

#13 Posted by Ethan_Ricks (47 posts) - - Show Bio

I always preferred RTD over him personally. Something tells me that part of him leaving is to focus on Sherlock, which is fine because that show is amazing, just has a crappy fan base.

#14 Posted by rogueshadow (28162 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#15 Posted by Loki9876 (3366 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked ma lot of his episodes but I think it's good a new writer wil be writing this. It will keep the show fresh.

#16 Posted by Madripoor (1916 posts) - - Show Bio

HA ! TAKE THAT, MOFFAT!

#17 Posted by WarDishy_ (1252 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
#18 Edited by StMichalofWilson (5595 posts) - - Show Bio

Great! Now the nerds can stop whining...for now

#19 Posted by rogueshadow (28162 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Farkam (11871 posts) - - Show Bio

Great! Now the nerds can stop whining...for now

Nerds never stop whining...ever

#21 Posted by dngn4774 (5539 posts) - - Show Bio

Good riddance! He overstayed his welcome 3 years ago.

#22 Posted by ia0delond (199 posts) - - Show Bio

good

#23 Posted by dngn4774 (5539 posts) - - Show Bio

@lagozzino: No one said you need a perfect track record to be a great showrunner. Tbh, you don't have to be a phenomenal writer either.

I'm hoping with this new show runner Dr Who will go back to sci-fi. In recent years I've felt like it's more fantasy

QFT. Doctor Who should be a sci-fi show, not an earth-centric soap opera ft. companion drama.

#24 Posted by UltimatePower6 (609 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by dngn4774 (5539 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by feargalr (1245 posts) - - Show Bio

This is good I hope. Moffat wrote some of the best episodes of Dr. Who ever I think.... but under Davies show running. Moffat just wasn't able to manage a long term I felt. In fact I didn't even watch the most recent season, or Christmas special

#27 Posted by nappystr8 (1548 posts) - - Show Bio

No Moffat hate, but Broadchurch is one of the best shows I have ever seen, so I think this is great news.

#28 Edited by WarDishy_ (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr: Overall what you said is true but the second-to-last episode of the most recent season, Heaven Sent, penned by Moffat, was probably one of his best ever episodes when taken as a stand-alone. I wasn't a fan of the second part, Hell Bent, but Heaven Sent was amazing. Helps that Capaldi was amazing of course.

#29 Posted by benwoodtweet (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Moffat had good ideas, but he never knew how to give them a good finish that would feel satisfying.

#30 Posted by WarDishy_ (1252 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by theacidskull (21894 posts) - - Show Bio

Give it time, soon people will be shitting on this new guy and yearning for the "good old" days when Moffat was writing.

Sigh, fans.

Anyways, I'm not happy with this. Despite some terrible episodes like "lets kill hitler", Moffat was a wrote one of my favourite stories with Doctor Who. That being said, far be it from me to not give this new guy a chance.

#32 Edited by neiliusprime (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Only one episode for the entire 2016 year.. Man that's rough.

#33 Posted by Spartan101 (4429 posts) - - Show Bio

Im glad,his stories are getting a bit crap.

#34 Edited by JamesSpiring (996 posts) - - Show Bio

Second in the show's history? No, no, no. It started in 1963, not 2005 - the show was never cancelled, just placed on a very long hiatus.

#35 Posted by TasmanianGecko (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank God.

Steven Moffat ruined Doctor Who in my opinion. He always had to shoehorn in left-wing/pc crap every chance he got.

#36 Posted by TheDandyMan (5175 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

I'm pretty happy to see him go, I was beginning to get bored of Doctor Who. Hopefully the new guy will write better episodes than the recent ones we've seen, I've not watched Broadchurch so I'm not exactly sure if he's any good but I'm optimistic.

#37 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (8418 posts) - - Show Bio

About time.

#38 Edited by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully the new guy won't pull crap like making us wait over a damn year for a new season. I love Dr. Who but better shows take less time to make more episodes. Moffat acts like he does that crap for quality but given that it was actually better before he was the show runner it looks more like he's just lazy.

#39 Posted by Progic (189 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how to feel about this. The damage is already done to the whoinverse. :( but yay no Moffat :)

#40 Posted by Progic (189 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Moffat only produced good episodes when RTD was head writer. He needs to be under constant supervision.

#41 Posted by theacidskull (21894 posts) - - Show Bio

@progic said:

@theacidskull: Moffat only produced good episodes when RTD was head writer. He needs to be under constant supervision.

That's just not really true.

#42 Posted by luciferjonez (210 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn. A whole year and just one episode at Christmas. That sucks.

Need more new Dr. Who.

#43 Posted by DoctorXander (1512 posts) - - Show Bio

This can't happen soon enough

#44 Posted by DoctorXander (1512 posts) - - Show Bio

Moffat had good ideas, but he never knew how to give them a good finish that would feel satisfying.

This describes almost every two-parter and overarching story line he ever did

Avatar image for constantine1610
#45 Edited by constantine1610 (24 posts) - - Show Bio

I had to go back and look at a list to see which specific episodes Moffat's written, and they range from the sublime to the ridiculous. He's crazy inconsistent as a writer. On the one hand you've got stuff like "Asylum of the Daleks" and "Dark Water/Death in Heaven," which I really liked. And on the other, there's the ones like "Heaven Sent/Hell Bent" and (shudder) "Last Christmas."

On the other hand, I have yet to see a worse episode than either "Kill the Moon" or "Sleep No More," so there's that.

And Chibnall's got an equally weird track record. "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" and "Power of Three" jump to mind. On the other hand... Torchwood.

I have no idea. Let's just hope Capaldi sticks around for a while longer, he is consistently awesome.