Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
#1 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (3301 posts) - - Show Bio

Heads up people! Our boy's finally getting the attention he deserves, on the big screen.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-plotting-nightwing-movie-lego-batman-movie-director-978737

Lego Batman Movie for Warner Bros., is in negotiations to helm the new film, and Bill Dubuque (The Accountant) is writing the script.

Nightwing, aka Dick Grayson, is perhaps best known for being the original Robin. Grayson was the youngest member of a family of acrobats known as the Flying Graysons. He was created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger and illustrator Jerry Robinson, and first introduced in Detective Comics No. 38 in April 1940. After his parents were murdered, he was taken in as the legal ward of Bruce Wayne/Batman. He then became Robin and teamed up with the Dark Knight on many an adventure to fight crime in the city of Gotham.

Grayson famously shed his persona in the 1980s as the character aged up, and became the leader of the Teen Titans. (In the DC Universe, a succession of young men took on the mantle of Robin while Nightwing became a popular character in his own right, headlining his own comics and appearing in animated movies.)

McKay has already directed a film with Dick Grayson in it: The character appeared in Lego Batman, as Robin, and was voiced by Michael Cera.

The character of Robin has yet to officially appear in the new Warner Bros. movies, although his graffiti-covered suit was shown in Batman v. Superman, and director Zack Snyder has said that at that point in time Robin had been killed by the Joker (there have been multiple Robins over the years in the comics, and Snyder did not say which one was killed by the Joker in his film). It's unclear where this new Nightwing story will fit in on the timeline.

The Nightwing project joins Warner Bros.' growing DC Extended Universe as the studio focuses on mining some of DC's most beloved characters for new films (as an example, Gotham City Sirens, with David Ayer attached to direct, will focus on the female villains of the universe, including Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn). The next films to hit theaters include Wonder Woman starring Gal Gadot (June 2), the star-studded Justice League (Nov. 17) and Aquaman starring Jason Momoa (Oct. 5, 2018). A sequel to Suicide Squad, The Batmanstarring Ben Affleck,a Shazam film, a Flash film and a Cyborg project are also in the works.

#2 Posted by BibbyBoxx2219 (95 posts) - - Show Bio

It's about time! I'm really excited for this. Hopefully this will be one of the movies that will boost the quality of the DCEU.

#3 Posted by SmoothJammin (2661 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd caught this as well on newsarama! Crazy right??I'm still in shock over the news

#4 Posted by just_sayin (3411 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow! The greatest sidekick of all time gets his own movie.

#5 Posted by DEGRAAF (8422 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so excited about this. He is my 2nd favorite character close behind Superman. I hope they do him justice but I have so many hopes for this.

DCEU needs to focus less on making justice League and focus more on a shared universe within the families. They could then make a large movie every 8 to 10 years. Do the batman family in this order:

Red hood

Son of batman

--- Justice League (death of batman)

Batman & Robin (Dick & Damian)

The Return of Bruce Wayne

Court of Owls

Death of The Family

They have decades of good stories to tell before they would need to reboot or restructure

#6 Posted by comicace3 (12434 posts) - - Show Bio

It just better be good.

#7 Posted by DEGRAAF (8422 posts) - - Show Bio

Red hood would have everyone

Son of batman would focus on Bruce and intro to Damian

Batman & Robin could have everyone cameo and focus on Dick & Damian relationship. You could have a small side Story or hints of Tim tracking down the truth behind Bruce's disappearance.

Return of Bruce Wayne I would actually show Tim's adventures finding the truth with small scenes of Bruce fighting crime through the ages

Court of Owls could have everyone and maybe introduce Batwoman

Death of the family bring back the Joker

#8 Posted by SmoothJammin (2661 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this probably deserves it's own thread or has been done but fan cast anyone? For some reason I like Avan Jogia for the part.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
#9 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (3301 posts) - - Show Bio

@degraaf said:

I'm so excited about this. He is my 2nd favorite character close behind Superman. I hope they do him justice but I have so many hopes for this.

DCEU needs to focus less on making justice League and focus more on a shared universe within the families. They could then make a large movie every 8 to 10 years. Do the batman family in this order:

Agreed. In general, I believe that they've been handling this franchise the wrong way, but one thing they've dropped the ball on and seem ready to contiue doing in the future is not immediately thinking about the fact that numerous properties have "families" that offer the chance to promote lesser known heroes to higher roles and to maximize profits if handled right. Green Lantern seems like it'll be forced to do this, considering there is an entire Corps worth of characters there, but I think that Batman, at the least, is an obvious choice as well. You don't need every single kid he's got running around the cave of course, but Nightwing is an obvious choice and has been for some time. I'd say that, with Jason Todd already being dead and Bruce Wayne being in his 40s, you've got Under the Hood and Dick Grayson Batman/Damian Wayne Robin as two obvious choices for storylines as well, which gives you a family of 4 right off the bat. Get Commisioner Gordon up and running and that gives you access to Barbara, if you wanted to go with her as Batgirl, in which case you could spin it off into the Birds of Prey.

I know this probably deserves it's own thread or has been done but fan cast anyone? For some reason I like Avan Jogia for the part.

We have discussed this in the past, but it's been a while lol

#10 Posted by DEGRAAF (8422 posts) - - Show Bio

@nathaniel_christopher: Yeah, i was just putting stories i would put in for the future of the bat-family franchise.

What Marvel is doing with Avengers is something they cant do with Captain America or Hulk as much because they dont have as much when it comes to legacy and family. Yeah they do movies with Bucky and Falcon but beyond that they dont have much and it would be hard for either of those characters to carry a movie. The bat-family on the other hand has a handful of characters that can each carry a movie Nightwing could obviously carry a movie. Tim could carry a movie if the right story was done (His search for Bruce after Batman: RIP) I would love to see a real take on Battle for the Cowl. Dick Could have a film with his Titans fighting Deathstroke.

Then of coarse you have the Super-family. Superman obviously gets some love but they could do the introduction to Supergirl (i would use the one where she is fought over by Superman, batman, Wonder Woman and ultimately Darkseid. They could also do a clone arc they results in Bizzaro and Superboy. You could have Lex attacking the Superman situation from multiple angles resulting in Metallo, Reactron, and Cyborg Superman. I would spin Superboy into a new Teen Titans movie with Tim Drake, Cassandra Cain, Blue Beetle, Miss Martian, and Bunker. That could be Young Justice that shows the old Teen Titans mentoring the new Teen Titans. I would eventually have all the titans take on Trigon or Deathstroke with the Titans East.

I would do a separate movie with the introduction of Powergirl and Huntress and a Flash movie "Flash of Two Earths" (being a lead into Crisis on Infinite earths Parts 1 & 2).

To Start fresh after Crisis on Infinite Earths i would then Focus on Green Lantern and having the introduction of Mongul, leading to Green Lantern: Zero Hour. Just trickle down the Crisis' from there every 5 to 10 years sprinkled between smaller stories for the various families of DC. I could lay this out and plan all day long. There is so much story there.

#11 Posted by nightwingism (221 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the coolest thing that this movie could do is be a way to at least introduce the idea of a much larger Bat-Family, and explore the relationship with Bruce and Dick, which could easily be the tentpole for other relationships Bruce would have with other people.

#12 Posted by SmoothJammin (2661 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn so we got Batman, Birds of Prey, Nightwing and now Batgirl. Way to capitalize on a franchise >__> Good time to be a DC comics fan!

#13 Posted by Eto (5281 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully they'll introduce Jason too.

#14 Posted by redwingx (1359 posts) - - Show Bio

It's probably going to suck if they go the gritty way. Keep your expectations low. Nightwing without the Teen Titans and Batfamily in this universe makes him bland and kills his supporting cast.

#15 Posted by nightwingism (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@redwingx said:

It's probably going to suck if they go the gritty way. Keep your expectations low. Nightwing without the Teen Titans and Batfamily in this universe makes him bland and kills his supporting cast.

Grit, meaning courage and resolve; strength of character. Or, as more often thought of in movies as the portrayal of life as it truly is, without false distortions, stylizations, or idealizations. Often exaggerated realism such that the culture of society being portrayed appears more coarse than it really is.

I don't know about you, but showing a very comic accurate character, within a world that mirrors the real world we live in is very interesting. And the way they portrayed Batfleck only gets me more excited to see a Nightwing that exists. Considering that the two would probably be very similar in skill level, but with a more airborne fighting style.

There is Batfamily within the universe. Obviously, Batman, Alfred, Jason, and a Batgirl. He doesn't need much more than that. And it is his solo movie, not a "Batfamily movie". We don't read Nightwing comics to see Jason or Tim, or Batcow. And in the same vein, we would watch a Nightwing movie to see just that, Nightwing. Expecting to see anyone else is really just a way for a let down.

And then he doesn't NEED the teen titans, heck, he could just skip to it and form the Titans somewhere along the way in this universe. It's not like Garth or Donna or Roy can already be around, and it's not like Wally can be introduced sometime during the Flash solo or sub sequential sequels.

Hell, Dick doesn't need other superheroes to be developed and become interesting. If the only way a character is interesting if he is surrounded by others, then that isn't a good character. Dick is an interesting character because he has all of Bruce's traits, but still able to exude hope and enthusiasm for the world in a way Bruce can't. He's the perfect blend of Superman's hope and resolve with Bruce's tactile mind and pragmatism.

#16 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@redwingx: Being gritty doesn't make a movie good or bad. TDK trilogy is pretty dark and gritty and it is still celebrated as the pinnacle of CBM. If you are basing it off of MoS or BvS, well it won't be made by Zack Snyder and after everything that has happened recently, we won't know if he will even keep on with the DCEU.

Like said above, the Batfamily exists to a certain extent in the DCEU: Bruce, Babs, Jason and Dick. In any event, Dick only really needs Bruce to exist as their relationship is the driving force in Dick becoming the man he is. As much as I would like to see Babs in the NW movie, it doesn't need anyone other than Bruce.

Dick doesn't need the Titans, he is a perfectly good character without them. The Teen Titans comics may have been how Dick Grayson was able to break away from Batman, but that was over 30 years ago and he is a popular established solo hero now.

As for supporting cast, the movie could use the characters from his Bludhaven era or even create new ones.

Most comic fans know that Dick has had a rocky relationship with Bruce. Their clashing is what caused Dick to go solo. It wouldn't be that hard to do a movie about a Nightwing that is estranged from Bruce for a few years and is actively fighting crime as Nightwing. It could start in medias res and just have some flashbacks.

#17 Posted by N_X (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I know you guys are discussing possible plots and stuff... but, I collect high-end collectibles and all I can think about is all the potential polystone statues, prints, sixth scale figures etc. He has next to none now, so yeah, I'm pretty damn happy to hear he's getting a movie because I've seen what it's done for other characters. Ah... (*´∇`*)

#18 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@n_x: I can't afford any of the fancy statues so I stick to the 1/12 figures and chinese knockoff play arts. But, with a big movie there will be plenty of cheap merch for a guy like me.

#19 Posted by SpoilerWing (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope that there is not any batfam in his movie. maybe a Stephanie or Cassandra as smaller supporting characters. save the batfam stuff for sequels or batfam event movie. the very last thing I want to see is nightwing being introduced to the mainstream as just a batman side character who's world revolves around batman and the family. let nightwing be his own man.

#20 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@spoilerwing: If Babs was Oracle in the DCEU, I would want her in the NW movie. But with her (probably) being Batgirl, she probably won't be in this.

Bruce should be referenced and maybe shown in flashbacks to Dick's origin. But, the main, present-day action should be all Nightwing.

I wouldn't have Jason in it at all. In my version of this story, Dick would have remained estranged from Bruce since they had their falling out and has not returned to Gotham in years. So he never even met Jason before he died. And anyway, Jason and his death is a Batman story, it doesn't need to involve Dick at all.

I don't even know if Tim should be in the DCEU. He's a fine character, but I feel if WB wanted Batman to have a Robin, they would skip Tim and go straight for Damian.

#21 Posted by Usha (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Mckay recently;

“You always thought Robin was the dork and were like, ‘I don’t want to be like Robin. I don’t want to play with Robin. I wanna play Batman.’ But Robin was there as a window character for little kids like me to understand Batman’s world and see into Batman’s world. There’s no other character in comics that went through this real-time transition. Every other character lives in a rough version of the age that they’re in. Very few characters actually grow up in the comics and become something else, and go from being a boy to being an adult, and have their own life and become their own thing.”

“It’s gonna be a fucking badass action movie with a lot of heart and emotion. It’s gonna be a crazy, fun ride. Whoever gets cast as Nightwing, and any of the other actors around, are gonna go through a fucking boot camp experience because it’s gonna be a lot. I’m not gonna do a lot of CG. It’s gonna be all real shit. It’s gonna be real stuntwork, and they’re gonna need to do all of the stuff on camera and do it credibly. For the cast and the crew, it’s gonna be a visceral experience, and for the audience. It’s not gonna be like a lot of these movies where there’s a lot of CG and flying, and things like that. Everything he does is gonna have to be real. His superpower is being really fucking good, as a human being, at fighting and gymnastics and shit like that, so you’re gonna see that on screen. It’s gonna be fun!”

#22 Edited by SmoothJammin (2661 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump. What are your thoughts on the film being put on the back burner? Will it be released?