Seven Things We Want in the Deadpool Sequel

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Deadpoolbroke some serious records for an R-rated film on its opening weekend. It surprised fans and critics across the world, which was apparently more than ready for an adult super-hero film. Shortly before the release of the film, a sequel was announced. Now that audiences have seen the film, they're all wondering "What's next?"

There are tons of places that a Deadpool sequel could go, considering the character has popped up in hundreds of comics since his first appearance in New Mutants #98 back in the early 90s. He's been involved in some crazy team-ups, as well as some more serious stories, but what elements from the comics should be included in the sequel? We came up with a few things we'd like to see in the next film. Keep in mind, we don't want them all in the film but seeing a few of these things or a combination of things, would be pretty awesome.

7. Cable

No Caption Provided

Cable, the time-travelling leader of X-Force, who just happens to be Cyclops and Jean Grey's son, is a must have for a sequel. Aside from the point that the post-credit sequence of Deadpool states they're going to try and put Cable in the next film, some of Deadpool's best adventures come from his team-ups with Cable. The team dynamic is really cool as Cable is a bit more serious and straight to the point and Deadpool is, well, Deadpool.

No Caption Provided

People online are already making guesses of who could play the role of Cable, including Avatar actor Stephen Lang, who already looks the part. Australian artist, BossLogic designed the mock poster above showing Keira Knightley as Cable, which fans seem to really like. Writers of the film are using a lot of "if" when they talk about the character, but it seems like a sure thing he'll be in the sequel.

6. First Cable Deadpool Story

No Caption Provided

If Cable is going to be a part of the sequel, there are a few places the story could go. Sure, Deadpool could just be there to take down Cable, much like the events of New Mutants #98, but it would be much more fun to jump into the series that Deadpool fans everywhere love: Cable & Deadpool. The first story involves a cult that offers Deadpool the chance to have a normal face again. They can heal the scars left by Francis. Of course, something is fishy, and Cable is there to set things right.

While writers have come out and said they're not looking to make this a big budget film, it's not too hard to take this story, which has a futuristic city, and strip it down quite a bit. This could easily be a grounded story that fits into the world that was set up in the first film.

5. "Hydra" Bob

No Caption Provided

While many people focus on the main story, one thing Deadpool did really well was set-up the secondary characters who play a larger role in his life later on. Both Blind Al, Deadpool's roommate, and Weasel, the bartender in the mercenary bar, played vital roles in the film. However, there was one character that popped up a couple times that is a huge part of Deadpool's world, Hydra Bob.

Although Marvel owns the rights to everything "Hydra," Bob was in the movie, working for Ajax AKA Francis at the end of the film. Deadpool and Bob had a quick discussion in front of Francis' base, which was totally not a S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier. Deadpool and Bob's relationship is interesting. They're friends, but at times, Deadpool almost treats him like a pet dog. Obviously, this would be a bit tougher to pull off if Cable is already part of the story, but it would be interesting to see nonetheless.

4. More than Two X-Men

No Caption Provided

While Deadpool takes place in a larger universe that contains the X-Men, only Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead appeared in the film, which is fine, since the film focussed mainly on Deadpool's origin and getting revenge on Francis. At one point, Deadpool even jokes that the studio couldn't afford any more X-Men.

However, the X-Universe is a lot larger than that and there are a ton of characters that aren't being used in the current slate of X-Men films, including the mutants of X-Force, which is more of a mercenary team of mutants. Deadpool has worked with other mutants in the past, like Angel, Wolverine, Sabretooth, etc, so it's not like he's stuck in his own bubble of jokes and murder. In fact, he and Wolverine play really well off of each other in the comics, so here's to hoping Hugh Jackman doesn't put away the adamantium claws for good.

3. Quick Cameo by the Caption Boxes

No Caption Provided

Aside from Deadpool's bizarre sense of humor, love of words like "chimichangas," and breaking the fourth wall, one of the things that the comic book series is known for is the caption boxes. In the comics, there are two distinct types of captions: the yellow and white boxes. Only Deadpool can see the boxes, and they respond back to him, as they're different parts of his personality.

If this were added to the film, it would have to be used incredibly sparingly, much like breaking the fourth wall, but it would be a fun gag to see Deadpool essentially talking to himself for a scene in the film and it would be even better if both the white and yellow boxes pop up.

2. The Return of Stan Lee

No Caption Provided

There's a saying when it comes to comic book films: "It's not a Marvel movie without Stan Lee making an appearance." In Deadpool, Stan Lee made an appearance as a host at a strip club that Vanessa worked at, introducing the dancers on the stage. It was one of the weirdest and most memorable cameo's Stan "The Man" Lee made in all of the films he's been in.

What happened to that strip club emcee? With a sequel coming down the line, Stan Lee will probably make another appearance, and many fans really hope it's the same character he played in the first film.

1. Other Survivors of Experimentation

No Caption Provided

In the comics, Deadpool got his abilities from the Weapon X program, the same group that gave Wolverine his adamantium claws. While the place Wade Wilson gets tortured and experimented upon in the film is never called "Weapon X," it contains all the elements of that program, but a bit dirtier. The Weapon X program put out a plethora of super-powered beings, all running around the Marvel Universe, so does that mean the same thing is happening in this film's universe?

This group was making super-powered beings in order to be sold into slavery. Francis AKA Ajax was an example of that, and while the facility burned down, Deadpool survived. Were there more survivors? What about those who came out of the program before Deadpool? We'd like to see a character like Garrison Kane who was a member of X-Force that had cybernetic arms and legs, thanks to the Weapon X program. He was also a part of the program during the same time as Wade Wilson, so it's not too far off to think he's floating around that world now that Weapon X is gone.

What would you like to see in a Deadpool sequel?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rogueshadow  Moderator

I was kind of expecting the yellow boxes, maybe they didn't want to blow their load in the first film.

The individuation of the X-Men was amazing, Colossus and Negasonic had more character within two minutes of screentime than Cyclops did in four films. Honestly, I really hope that Fox simply have Deadpool takes place in it's own universe and start fresh, the Singerverse has run its course for me. They should do Apocalypse, Wolverine 3 and then reboot.

Avatar image for allaboutmarvels
allaboutmarvels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about death

esparza3368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your right, Fox is so under utilizing the characters that they have. X-Universe is vast with 1000s of characters. Among the big villains available are Mr. Sinister, Exodus, Gamesmaster, Shadow King, Onslaught, Reignfire, & Omega Red for starters. They also have access to not only X-Force but X-Factor, Excalibur, New Mutants, & Generation X. They can explore alternate universes by producing animated series that focus exclusively on the Age of Apocalypse, the House of Magneto, Days of Future Past, and so on.

In fact one of the most disappointing things in my mind is that they have not taken advantage of the material to produce their own space opera. Come on the reason that Disney had to invent the "Chitauri" is that most of the alien races were owned by Fox. We are talking about both the Shi'ar and Badoon for starters, and more importantly the coolest and most interesting alien races in Marvel - the Skrulls, the Brood, & the Phalanx. Fox could make their own equivalent of Star Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy, starring the Starjammers, the X-Men, Kang the Conqueror, or the Cosmic Heralds.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Travis Fimmel for Cable. Cable doesn't necessarily need an old actor and his legacy requires a few good years.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the movie needs LESS Stan Lee. It's unfair to Leifeld that Lee, who had NOTHING to do with Deadpool's creation, has a bigger cameo than he does.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@esparza3368: Disney didn't even the Chitauri. That story line was taken from the Ultimates in the Ultimate Universe

esparza3368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By esparza3368

@fallschirmjager:

My bad that's right, they were created for the Ultimate Universe, Earth-1610. Shapeshifters but far more savage than the Skrulls. Unlike the Skrulls they had to consume the flesh or brains of the target species, plus they were genocidal. Never did like them, preferred the Skrulls.

warrior100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By warrior100
No Caption Provided

i wanna see Domino snd taskmaster in sequel.

No Caption Provided

Domino by Actress Eliza Dushku

Taskmaster played by Actor Karl Urban

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

@rogueshadow: completely agree. Wolverine done right should be a dark, anti-hero, gritty, raw, but still big budget, badass action thriller. Seriously could make a billion dollars done right IMO.

Singer is so early 2000's lol. Such cheesy and flat characterization.

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

Deadpool needs to fight Cable.

Slayback as a possible villain (or one of them)

For either this film or the next they could have Killebrew bring back Ajax and make him more like his comicbook counterpart.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbee326da7b7
deactivated-5bbee326da7b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing that didn't impress me in the movie was his healing factor so in the sequel I really want to see him use it more.am I the only one who didn't want ajax to die even tho he didn't really do much in he's kinda my favorite movie villians.I'd really like to see what he's truly capable of

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Anyway. The only nitpick I have with the movie is that it felt so small. There was really only 2 major set pieces in the film.

This was obbvioisly due to budget but still. I'd like to see a bigger playground for Deadpool to play in

At the same time though I don't want them to jack up the budget too high that the creative freedom gets stiffled

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rogueshadow  Moderator

@warrior100: Dushku would be badass, and while he'd be awesome as Taskmaster, now that you've said his name... Karl Urban would actually make an amazing Cable... a character I have a harder time picturing people pulling off.

@rogueshadow: completely agree. Wolverine done right should be a dark, anti-hero, gritty, raw, but still big budget, badass action thriller. Seriously could make a billion dollars done right IMO.

Singer is so early 2000's lol. Such cheesy and flat characterization.

I don't wanna hate on Singer, I do love those films, I mean, I grew up with them, and DOFP is an amazing film, it's just that, there are places the X-Men can go and should go, that I feel they never will with Singer, I don't think we're never going to go to cosmic in this universe. Plus, they've boxed themselves in with the timeline, with so many characters now locked into the 80's, they don't have much freedom. I'm not sure if the X-Men proper movies can stand up to the impending onslaught of MCU & DCEU films in their current state.

Seriously, I thought the X-Men, few as they were, were amazing in the movie, I've been bitching forever about the bad treatment Colossus gets, and in one fell swoop, Miller breathed life into him. From where he hears about Wade, gets on the Blackbird and offers Negasonic a protein bar, he had more character than he did in all four other films. It's a really rare thing for a writer and director to imbue life into characters like that, that's the kind of energy you need in a team movie where screen-time is precious.

I wanna see a 'Wolverine: Enemy of the State' film personally. I really wish Marvel and Fox could work together, but it's probably never gonna happen.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taskmaster and Mr sinister is a must somewhere down the line too

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PrimeEarth2016

@warrior100: Definetely need to see Domino in a Deadpool movie

deitydeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The atrocious yellow boxes that Way introduced should never make an appearance. Yes, to my utter horror, many fans only know the Waypool and even sadder is the fact that even though there are countless posts instructing people to read the older (aka TRUE) material they don't since if they did Way would have 0 fans. Death will not make an appearance (even though it, er 'she', should) since ANY time you deal with religious iconography the ignorant, skittish masses shy away and Deadpool movies must appeal to the masses in order to make money and keep getting made.

As for what should be in. Domino is #1 and would provide a great foil to Copycat...er Vanessa. Domino is an amazing character and it is a mystery why she has not appeared on film yet :( Taskmaster would be a great addition as well and could be utilized in a variety of ways. Some of the best moments of early Deadpool was the practical joke playing between him and Blind Al so more of that is needed.

Best move for the sequel even though it will never happen is to introduce the new actor to play Wolverine. Jackman is done but wolverine is a money making machine and what better way to cash in on that than to introduce the new actor for Wolverine in an almost guaranteed smash hit movie perhaps at the end and lead that into a full-blown X-Force movie with Deadpool, Wolverine, Cable - throw in Domino just for kicks or Psylocke to further tie-in the X-Men movies, etc.

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Random thought: So there's no direct connection made between the shop which gave Wade his powers in the film and the Weapon X project. In fact, we don't know WHAT the state of Weapon X is in the post-DoFP timeline yet (though given Stryker making an appearance in Apocalypse we're likely to get an answer).

What if that workshop in the movie is actually... THE FACILITY.

The Facility is only indirectly connected to Weapon X in the books, and is an independent civilian project that would be a much better match (whereas Weapon Plus was military) what we see of it on-screen.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By deadpool25mm

How about death

Yeah I was hoping to see Lady Death. oh and Taskmaster and Domino.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Cable is already mentioned to be in the next one. So that would most likely entail a Cable/Deadpool story.

Bob showed up in the first one, so I assume more Bob is wanted

I just feel the ending of Deadpool was a bit 'every super hero movie so far' kind of ending, where the hero gets the girl. I kind of hope Vanessa isn't in the next one

Time_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Time_Phantom

How about T ray?

Time_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about T ray?

Avatar image for ganymedeofthemyscira
GanymedeOfThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pansexual Deadpool

dauntes_patron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dauntes_patron

@time_phantom I think T Ray would be too confusing for the casual movie type fans

dauntes_patron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time_phantom: I think T Ray would be too confusing for the casual movie type fans

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T ray or agent x, deff task master, omega red would be good, cable is obviously in it,mhmmm....

SadiaVicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SadiaVicious

The atrocious yellow boxes that Way introduced should never make an appearance. Yes, to my utter horror, many fans only know the Waypool and even sadder is the fact that even though there are countless posts instructing people to read the older (aka TRUE) material they don't since if they did Way would have 0 fans. Death will not make an appearance (even though it, er 'she', should) since ANY time you deal with religious iconography the ignorant, skittish masses shy away and Deadpool movies must appeal to the masses in order to make money and keep getting made.

As for what should be in. Domino is #1 and would provide a great foil to Copycat...er Vanessa. Domino is an amazing character and it is a mystery why she has not appeared on film yet :( Taskmaster would be a great addition as well and could be utilized in a variety of ways. Some of the best moments of early Deadpool was the practical joke playing between him and Blind Al so more of that is needed.

Best move for the sequel even though it will never happen is to introduce the new actor to play Wolverine. Jackman is done but wolverine is a money making machine and what better way to cash in on that than to introduce the new actor for Wolverine in an almost guaranteed smash hit movie perhaps at the end and lead that into a full-blown X-Force movie with Deadpool, Wolverine, Cable - throw in Domino just for kicks or Psylocke to further tie-in the X-Men movies, etc.

THIS.

And again, NO CAPTION BOXES.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By amazing_webhead

i dunno, the caption boxes are kinda what adds to how Wade's character has become so much flatter over the years. flatter than Keira Knightley's chest (sorry, i couldn't resist)

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I want Mr. Sinister even more than I want Cable.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No. Never the caption boxes. That's a hallmark of the Daniel Way's Meme-pool, and was always lame. Thank God Posehn and Duggan got rid of that crap when Marvel NOW! started.

MrGutts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna see the Shiklah introduction.

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My top request for Deadpool 2 is Chimichangas!!!!!!!!!

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By SoA

Travis Fimmel for Cable. Cable doesn't necessarily need an old actor and his legacy requires a few good years.

it wasn't till i saw this pic that i felt you made a good choice

No Caption Provided

some make up and hair dye , BOOM! Cable

Dredd_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warrior100: That leads to a question. Is Taskmaster under Fox or MCU's control? He is a mutant, but he has been a foe and supporting character is more Avengers related books.

I'm watching just now watching Alphas season 2, and a cvharacter they added has Taskmaster's powers.

warrior100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dredd_78: they say in the comics taskmaster use to work for shield.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I would like to see more interaction with the weapon X operatives such as Kaine (stated in the article), leading into Cable.

pinchpaker29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Deadpool VS Taskmaster

- A cameo by Hugh Jackman, let Deadpool trash X-men Origins more in Wolverine's face.

- DP hitting on the X-men chicks.

- Kate Upton as Outlaw... Droooool....

kendigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey Comicvine homies!
Can I ask you to list your favorite Deadpool / Cable team up storylines or trades that I should read to get up to speed?

ComicExplor3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What needs to happen is more X men characters need to be involved. Maybe wolverine..cable..jubilee would be cool..rogue..keep it R rated..make it bad ass..possible enemies could be omega red throw in some sentinals..Just my opinion..

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

' We'd like to see a character like Garrison Kane who was a member of X-Force that had cybernetic arms and legs'

...since when?

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Cable and Domino are must haves for sure. But I feel like a Deadpool movie built around Cable & X-Force could work really well. Cable and Domino and a few younger X-Men have to team with Deadpool for some reason. As long as they don't make Domino or Cable a kid.