Robert Venditti Discusses Hal Jordan's New Role in Upcoming Series

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Hal Jordan is once again becoming a member of the Green Lantern Corps, after months of being an outcast and a renegade. DC's new Rebirth event aims to bring new readers into the 21st century, which means returning to the status quo: Hal Jordan as a Green Lantern. Writer Robert Venditti continues his run with the character, except this time, he's focusing on the entire core. We discussed the upcoming series Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps with the writer and how this will appeal to new readers.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: What's the timeline for this book? Are we seeing what happened to the Green Lantern Corps after the mini-series, Edge of Oblivion, or is this jumping ahead in time?

ROBERT VENDITTI: We are picking up from that. I think for the mission statement of Rebirth, which is to write stories that are very cleaned up and you never had to have read a Lantern book before to know what's going on, but also staying in line with the long history of these characters, which includes the New 52.

So yeah, we'll be picking up from the end of Green Lantern #52 and Edge of Oblivion #6, but we're doing it in a way that reintroduced a lot of this stuff to readers. If you haven't been reading those issues, this is all new content. If you have been reading those issues, you'll completely understand what's going on, and we'll find out what's happening next.

Do you feel this has been a big challenge going into Rebirth considering there is so much heavy continuity in Green Lantern within the past 5 years?

VENDITTI: The Green Lantern concept is a very continuity-heavy concept with things like the emotional spectrum, but I think the way we're starting now with how the Green Lantern Corps are cops in space is something new readers can really grasp onto. I think you can easily grasp onto the concept of will versus fear.

We're starting out with Sinestro and basically, we open the Rebirth issue with Sinestro in charge of the sector Hal used to be, and he's the established, accepted police force in the universe. This will explore how the Green Lantern Corps and Hal Jordan get back where they're supposed to be. I think those are all concepts people can grasp pretty readily, whether you're familiar with Green Lantern or not.

Green Lantern Rebirth interior

At this point, how do the Green Lantern Corps feel about Hal Jordan, considering he's been a renegade for such a long time while the Corps was in a different universe?

VENDITTI: They haven't reunited with them yet. As we're going to see in the Rebirth issue and in Green Lantern #52, as far as Hal Jordan knows, he is the only Green Lantern left. He doesn't have a ring anymore. He's not plugged into the system. He doesn't get the messages. They don't know where he is and he doesn't know where they are. All he knows is that they're missing, and his mission is to find his friends and bring them back. How he does that, gets the ring, and reclaims the mantle of Green Lantern, we will learn in the Rebirth one-shot. Following up on that, we're going to see how the Corps gets back, how everyone hooks up, and how they get the band back together.

Is the story of Hal becoming pure willpower going to be wrapped up in issue #52 or will that push forward into the next series?

VENDITTI: At the end of Green Lantern #52 and the last arc of that, we see how that has an effect on Hal. He's almost becoming a being of pure will. This is a totally unexpected side effect, if you will, of wearing the gauntlets. That ties very heavily into the events of the Rebirth one-shot and how Hal is able to resolve that and what the outcome is.

This is something we've never seen in Green Lantern and it's something that's going to be a moment that, 12 issues from now, you're going to be able to track back and see where they started. I'm already 10 issues into this series, in terms of script. We've already got 3 issues in the can. There is a plan in place. Each arc is going to be very new-reader friendly. You'll be able to look at it a year from now, two years from now, and see all of this was linked to ways that weren't immediately apparent.

You mentioned earlier that the Sinestro Corps is returning and the Red Lantern Corps is appearing in the Green Lanterns title. In regards to all the Lantern Corps, they've been relatively friendly with each other. Can you give us any idea of what is going on with the other corps and who will appear in the series?

VENDITTI: Sinestro Corps and Sinestro are the established police force in the universe now. How Sinestro chooses to go about their missions is a part of the central conflict. Going back to the classic will versus fear, green versus yellow, goes back to the beginning. We'll be seeing them. We'll see the Indigo Tribe sooner than people will expect. We've already seen the Red Lantern Corps in Red Lanterns. We got Carol Ferris as Star Sapphire. We will be seeing other corps, but to get into how they come about would be a little more spoiler-y than we want to be right now.

What characters, aside from Hal, will we be following in the book?

VENDITTI: Hal, John, Guy, and Kyle. Kyle won't be as heavily up front because what we're doing with him is much more secretive. This is why he hasn't appeared in a lot of promo art. That's by design. When he does show up, it will be for a very important reason, so he can accomplish something that only he can do. So in the meantime, it will be Hal, John, and Guy as the leads of the book. There will be plenty of supporting cast [characters] as well. We're going to have a lot of surprises with characters that I don't know if people think they would show up.

Are either of those characters B'ox or Gnort?

VENDITTI: [laughs] I will say that I have not typed the name "Gnort" into a script yet. I have typed B'ox. His name has appeared.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #1 cover
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #1 cover

You're working with artists Ethan Van Sciver and Rafa Sandoval on this book. What's the process of writing for two different artists?

VENDITTI: When you're monthly, you'll write four issues and someone will come in and do a few issues. You're working with a lot of different artists. The great thing here is we're so far ahead. I know which artist is drawing issue 7 and which is drawing issue 4. I know the schedule. Depending on when they come into the stories, it will feel like the story has shifted in a way for the new artist. It will have a different flavor to it. It's nice to be this far out and to plan for those sort of things.

One of the most important things, when it comes to Green Lantern, is the colorist. Who's doing the colorwork on the book?

VENDITTI: Yeah, absolutely. Jason Wright is doing coloring for Ethan Van Sciver. The Rebirth issue looks absolutely phenomenal. Some of the effects he's brought in are story related. He's telling a story with color in a way that we haven't really seen before. The way he and Ethan render Hal and the constructs are just extraordinary. Tomeu Morey is coloring for Rafa Sandoval, and again, it's just fantastic. We have three issues in the can right now. Just beautiful stuff. I think everyone is excited about the stories. Everyone is excited to be on the book. It's a great thing to be a part of and you can see that passion in the work.

With Rebirth, you're trying to keep the long-term readers while appealing to people that maybe have never picked up a comic before. For you, what kind of challenges do you face trying to reach these vastly different audiences?

VENDITTI: I don't think that it's any different from anything else I've done. Everything I've done on X-O Manowar for the past five years now... every issue of that series is meant to appeal to the historical fanbase of that book but invite new readers. It's very much the same here. It's very personal to me. I didn't start reading comics until I was 27. I remember walking into the store and seeing these high issue numbers and coming in and not knowing anything that was going on because the issues were so steeped in continuity. For me, it's something I really try to do with everything I write.

To be able to have a number one [issue] to bring it in is about getting to those core concepts which are really relatable. The Green Lanterns are police in space. Everyone understands that. The idea of will and overcoming great fear. Everybody understands that. I think if you distill it down to those principles, it doesn't matter there may be aliens using rings that do amazing things. I think if you base it in those understandable concepts: Sinestro, he wants to rule through fear. He has a daughter who disagrees with him. Everyone can understand that. If you stick to those kinds of core principles, you're able to add more layers to the characters for historical reasons but be welcoming to new readers.

No Caption Provided
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps interiors
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps interiors

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth #1 will be coming to comic shops on July 13 and the main series starts on the July 27.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dondave

With the way Venditti has already butchered the Green Lantern universe I don't want him anywhere near Sinestro. They should have left him with Cullen Bunn. He should leave Ganthet and Sayd alone as well.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheExile285

Looking forward to this. Interesting that he already has 10 scripts worth of issues done. I just hope he doesn't turn Sinestro into a one dimensional villian.

He has a daughter who disagrees with him.

That's putting it lightly. Although hopefully that means he isn't just gonna Soranik to be some brainless lackey. The cover of issue 1 doesn't exactly invoke confidence about that.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm down with this.. I knew it. Kyle is one special mf. I know he will play a larger role against manhatattan. Give me moaarrrrrrrr Kyle Rayner.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

I am now at the point where I have to pick and choose which Rebirth titles to add to my overstuffed pull list. I think I'll stick with Green Lanterns over this.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

This makes me really excited. It looks like writers and artists have a nice view on the future of their comics, and I'm very interested to see how this title can balance the majority of the GLs.

Also, was Sinestro gaining his police force in the Bunn run, or was this in between Rebirth and this?

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheExile285
UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: I wouldn't say Venditti butchered the GL universe, I thought he's done a lot for this. The only thing I think he needs to work on is Black Hand, and a few other characters, but his work with Hal and the planets they go, and his created characters are all good.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

"I think for the mission statement of Rebirth, which is to write stories that are very cleaned up and you never had to have read a Lantern book before to know what's going on, but also staying in line with the long history of these characters."

Why cant this be the mission statement for every book?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: I wouldn't say Venditti butchered the GL universe, I thought he's done a lot for this. The only thing I think he needs to work on is Black Hand, and a few other characters, but his work with Hal and the planets they go, and his created characters are all good.

All I have to say to that is Carol and Kyle.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: That wasn't that bad. Plus Hal wouldn't be able to carry a relationship as long as he has a ring.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:
@ultimatepower6 said:

All I have to say to that is Carol and Kyle.

Is it fair to say that was Venditti's fault? I only ask because that was something that was used in New Guardians as well and could have been an editor's idea.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: That wasn't that bad. Plus Hal wouldn't be able to carry a relationship as long as he has a ring.

Why?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only reason he couldn't before was because he was always in space while she was on Earth. That barrier doesn't exist anymore and somehow for no reason she suddenly falls in love with Kyle when Hal returns from the dead?

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Robert Venditti is an awesome writer and both artists here are great too. Hal Jordan is my favorite character so this title is most definitely one of my most anticipated title (if not the most).

Also, to people saying that it was Robert Venditti's fault of Hal being leader, or the Kyle-Carol relationship, or the introduction of dark skinned Wally West and that the writer is horrible for all that you have it totally wrong. These were obviously decisions that came from up high (editors). No single writer especially if he is a new-comer to a universe/company has that much creative freedom over well established characters. He has recently tweeted for example how John Stewart will get a leadership role and how that was his intention from the get go. And anyway he still played around those changes and things worked out greatly. He created pretty neat stories and he got the characters in great depth. Can't wait for this book!

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theexile285: Because he'll never give her the attention or love she deserves. He'll always put Earth, the Corps, and the Universe before her. He'll always feel like HE has to solve everything, and he'll always sacrifice anything so that he can wear everyone's burden.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dondave

@theexile285: Because he'll never give her the attention or love she deserves. He'll always put Earth, the Corps, and the Universe before her. He'll always feel like HE has to solve everything, and he'll always sacrifice anything so that he can wear everyone's burden.

And Kyle doesn't?

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: To be honest I haven't read Kyle's side in New Guardians yet, but as a character he's different and would at least try to put her forth. Hal doesn't have a choice.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dondave

@dondave: To be honest I haven't read Kyle's side in New Guardians yet, but as a character he's different and would at least try to put her forth. Hal doesn't have a choice.

What? The only reason Hal couldn't put her first previously was because of literal space between them most of the time. Once she got her ring that was no longer an issue.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheExile285

@rubear said:

@dondave: Grow up a little. xD

No Caption Provided

Nothing Dondave has said is wrong though. Carol basically followed Kyle around the universe where ever he went. Why couldn't she do the same with Hal?

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theexile285: See, that's example of problem with Hal. He can be irresposible as hell. Or Hal. It's situation when basically Galactus-level threat, Relic, decided that "little lightsmiths will doom universe" and he need to turn lights of Lanterns out. Actually universe had very big problem, some kind of rupture in Source Wall. So fears of Relic had basis.
The only one who could help was Kyle - White Lantern. Do you see what Hal did? Instead of saving universe he SUDDENLY decided that it's time to talk about his troubled (and aborted) relashionships.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: To me, that's a completely human like reaction. How do you think most people would react if they found out their ex was dating one of their good friends right after dumping them. Especially given the way he found out. People react poorly to situations when their emotions get the better of them all the time.

And how do you think Kyle would habe reacted if the roles were reversed?

Kyle: "Hmm, I don't like this at all but I'm gonna ignore my feelings and act like a robot because plot."

I don't think so.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

@dondave said:
@ultimatepower6 said:

The only reason he couldn't before was because he was always in space while she was on Earth. That barrier doesn't exist anymore and somehow for no reason she suddenly falls in love with Kyle when Hal returns from the dead?

oh please, Hal and Carol have been pulling sh#t like this since forever.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theexile285: We're speaking not about average human, but about Hal Jordan, man who is supposed to have kinda strongest will in universe. Do such actions look like for you as indication of strong will? For me they look like indication of strong emotion, but not of will. If they'd solve this crisis there would be time to speak about any hurt feelings, but if they'd not be able to do it there would be no time to do anything and neither it'd matter. So i think that reaction would be right if he'd at least try to calm down before doing awkward scene.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theexile285 said:

@rubear said:

@dondave: Grow up a little. xD

Nothing Dondave has said is wrong though. Carol basically followed Kyle around the universe where ever he went. Why couldn't she do the same with Hal?

Because she needed Kyle in the first place and requested for him to help her search for Hal.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Remember the green lanterns? Those were the days.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@teerack: I take it you won't be buying the new issues of Hal & Friends? lol

I'm not too upset over it since Venditti intends to keep John Stewart in a leadership role and actually do things with John and Guy. I'll give him six issues to live up to that promise, if not I'm bailing.

Avatar image for scarletwitchfever
ScarletWitchFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

Is Sinestro going to have control of Parallax again? So soon? That's disappointing. I found Cullen Bunn's first ~ten issues of the Sinestro solo series to be kind of so-so, but he really found some great footing with the character after a while. The last arc and the end of the series was especially good. It'd be unfortunate to see all of that erased!

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Kyle and Carol killed it for me but I'll give it a chance