Jessica Cruz sucks

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just couldn't take anymore and I had to post this. Jessica Cruz is a crappy GL and I am tired of reading about her emotional journey of self exploration. She should never have gotten a ring after "forever evil" was over the GL rings do not chose someone so that said someone can grow as a person they pick people that can over come great fear and protect the universe. So anyone that had been to afraid to leave there owne apartment in like 3 years dose not qualify for a GL ring, the hole thing screems of wankerie.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bloodtalon: The big D struck again with her. Yep, she was a created for Diversity (same as Simon) with little forethought as to how or why she fits in. I mean does Earth really need SIX green lanterns? DC could have brought back Fire, she's an already existing Latin woman. But, if the diversity push at DC and Marvel has shown anything it is that they would much rather lazily give a blank slate new character a fancy prestablished name (usually by killing off/depowering the original hero) than try to promote a minority character that already exists.

And am I the only one who thinks it is incredibly stupid for her to be in the Justice League. Are the readers expected to see her (or Simon) as equals to Superman, Flash, Batman, and Wonder Woman?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: Earth doesn't have 6 protectors though just 6 people from earth. Also not all members need to be equal with each other

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rurgandy

Not every character needs to be a self-insert Mary Sue. Characters with flaws and obstacles to overcome are more interesting than characters whose defining traits are being "OMG BEST SPEEDSTER EVER!" or pulling magic swords out of their ass.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even read GL comics but just from what I have seen of her from Forever Evil and JL I agree

Yarva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yarva

She's definitely not my favorite but I don't see a single thing wrong with her character. The GL ring recruits people that can overcome great fear. Jessica fits that description. I think she is a great demonstration of what it would be if a real person was recruited by a GL ring. She is a flawed human who has to deal with even more than the average human since she has a disorder but she is still able to overcome great fear. That doesn't mean she isn't brave. It's the opposite of that. You can't be brave without feeling fear. Not feeling fear is not being brave. Its being fearless. She's a pretty cool character. I do think that its frustrating to have her fight her demons almost every issue when she's needed to save the day but I do think it's pretty cool to see her beat her demons every day as a rookie lantern realistically would.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bloodtalon: If Hal can get a ring after the Parallax thing, I don't see why Jessica can't get hers.

@rdclip said:

@bloodtalon: The big D struck again with her. Yep, she was a created for Diversity (same as Simon) with little forethought as to how or why she fits in. I mean does Earth really need SIX green lanterns? DC could have brought back Fire, she's an already existing Latin woman. But, if the diversity push at DC and Marvel has shown anything it is that they would much rather lazily give a blank slate new character a fancy prestablished name (usually by killing off/depowering the original hero) than try to promote a minority character that already exists.

And am I the only one who thinks it is incredibly stupid for her to be in the Justice League. Are the readers expected to see her (or Simon) as equals to Superman, Flash, Batman, and Wonder Woman?

Half the time people complain about companies not making new, diverse characters. They make one and people still complain. And who says Fire can't come around? Simon, Jess, and Fire can all exist at once. Plus, don't make it seem like the Corps is the most exclusive club ever. And I think a person with tech limited only by imagination and willpower is more impressive than a guy in a bat costume, and I don't care how many plot, devices you use to prop him up. Hell, a well-trained Lantern is a tough foe for any JL member.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She is a splendid character imo, this thread is sexist.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I don't like her either. I agree that her reasons to have a ring is rather daft. Secondly I think there are just too many human Green Lanterns at the moment... and lastly, which may just be me, but I am a little annoyed that there are 6 human Green Lanterns and one Red Lantern and all of them are (or were) US citizens.

However I understand that there should be a female Green Lantern from Earth to curb all the testosterone Guy, Hal and John leave in their wake, but why couldn't she be from somewhere else... like China, central Africa or (wild short in the dark) Saudi-Arabia?
I've said it before of Baz, but to me, he would be much more interesting if he had been something like a Syrian freedom-fighter rather than some near-hoodlum in the heartland of America. Same applies to Cruz.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I don't hate her as a character but I am really tired of the focus she's been getting in the Justice League series. It's not even that Cruz and Baz are the diversity shills for the Justice League. Her character story is the same thing over and over again of her trying to overcome her demons which gets really tiring. It's making the human Green Lanterns a little too overcrowded by there being 6 human GLs. Earth isn't the only place in Sector 2814 after all.

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabumalal: I hope you weren't being serious, this has nothing to do with her sex it has everything to do with I don't believe that a GL ring would pick anyone with an anxiety disorder so severe that they had not left their own apartment in years, whether said person was a male or a female.

I would also like to clarify that for me this has nothing to do with diversity, I just think if you wanted to tell the kind of story that they are telling with Jesica Cruz the the GL route is the wrong way because the GL rings have rules and qualifications in order to get and use them. They are telling it more like the Blue Beatle as if almost anyone could be thrust into the position of "hero".

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By righteous300

She's pretty awesome in the GL book.

El_Gato93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bloodtalon: Stop your damn whining!! She's a badass character who is compelling and likeable! She's here to stay especially since she's popping outside comics a lot lately (DC Legends, Injustice Mobile, Superhero Girls)...etc Get used to her!!!

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By 2cool4fun

@outside_85: Well the Red Lantern guy is dead, but we still have Blackhand & Carol, so that's 8 human lanterns from the US, as well as the cat.

Tbh I would have maybe been okay with this, if they just left Guy & Kyle as Red & White lanterns. Then them being replaced by 2 green lanterns on earth would make sense, since Hal & John would be too busy leaeding the GL's, but like this, it's stupid, they gave us back the 2 GL we lost AND given us 2 new ones.

If they also gives us Alan Scott ( and even his daughter ), then it will be an overkill.

P.S. I'm just annoyed for those reasons, I'm not gonna lie, the Green Lanterns book is pretty great, and she's the better one in it, Simon is the lame one for me.

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@el_gato93: I was not whining, I simply don't like her for the reasons that I stated earlier. If you like her good for you. after the piss poor writing in issue 27 I am all done with that book. So enjoy the pandering and the nosiness that is Jesica. Shitty writers save me money.?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I don't hate her as a character but I am really tired of the focus she's been getting in the Justice League series. It's not even that Cruz and Baz are the diversity shills for the Justice League. Her character story is the same thing over and over again of her trying to overcome her demons which gets really tiring. It's making the human Green Lanterns a little too overcrowded by there being 6 human GLs. Earth isn't the only place in Sector 2814 after all.

To be fair, in a corps full of Aliens from across the galaxy, and splitting up all the aliens that could join a corps between the red, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and sapphires, six humans in one isn't that surprising. Especially when you consider that there's some universe shaking cataclysm coming from Earth at least once a month, I have to believe that Earth is probably among the (if not THE) most troublesome areas to patrol.

@rabumalal: I hope you weren't being serious, this has nothing to do with her sex it has everything to do with I don't believe that a GL ring would pick anyone with an anxiety disorder so severe that they had not left their own apartment in years, whether said person was a male or a female.

I would also like to clarify that for me this has nothing to do with diversity, I just think if you wanted to tell the kind of story that they are telling with Jesica Cruz the the GL route is the wrong way because the GL rings have rules and qualifications in order to get and use them. They are telling it more like the Blue Beatle as if almost anyone could be thrust into the position of "hero".

Green Lantern rings are somewhat inconsistent. I mean, I don't quite see why they'd let Hal back in after ya'know destroying the GL Corps with them. And GL rings are given to people who overcome great fear, right? I would imagine that, given her disorder, for Jessica to not only be outside of her apartment, but to be out fighting super villains as Power Ring shows her overcoming great fear.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv:

Sort of. I mean, I'm not trying to be insensitive, but leaving your apartment is hardly overcoming 'great' fear. I leave my house all the time and I don't get a green lantern ring.

Ok I'm being facetious here, but I sort of agree with the original poster. Good for Jessica that she can now visit the shops, but is that really what the Guardians (or whoever) had in mind with the overcoming fear thing?

As a resident of this sector, I would rather have my security taken care of by someone who overcame the fear of jet fighter battle, or Kyle who went through the source wall. People who demonstrate that they can put their bodies on the line for the greater good.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainshadow777: But you don't have the disorder Jessica has. What may seem a small task for you, is a big one for her. Fear is personal, but alsays takes a great act of will to overcome.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv:

Yeah I get it. But if we start handing out rings to every kid who can overcome the fear of not having his night light on, we will have a whole heap of Lanterns who may be personally 'brave' but hardly heroically so.

I really don't mind Jessica Cruz, but I do think there are some forms of courage more suited to Green Lantern status.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ScouterV

@scouterv:

Yeah I get it. But if we start handing out rings to every kid who can overcome the fear of not having his night light on, we will have a whole heap of Lanterns who may be personally 'brave' but hardly heroically so.

I really don't mind Jessica Cruz, but I do think there are some forms of courage more suited to Green Lantern status.

Most kids though, don't go through an entire debacle like Jessica did with the RIng of Volthoom. After all that, the fact she was still prepared to fight, I think, is the reason the Corps chose her. (That and the anti-Monitor took out quite a few Lanterns with ease, so it wouldn't be a stretch to say "hey, they maybe needed a few new hands.")

zensum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smh all this Jessica slander

theredhood44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually like jessica(coming from a guy who hates diversity made characters) lol and I actually like her and barry…lel

El_Gato93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bloodtalon: Pandering? Yeah, apparently every non White superhero is pandering... Can't stand comic fans like you. Jessica is a compelling character and is well liked. Her story against Volthroom was awesome, overcoming her fear and dealing with anxiety are relatable traits that make her a character many fans can easily relate to. That's why she's getting outside media attention, unlike that walking talking stereotype of a character known as Fire.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's funny because Jess is the best character to come out the new 52 and one of the best to be created in the past 10 years.

glfan73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please just kill these 2 tokens off... they are terrible characters... they bring nothing to the table and everything DC tries to do with them has been done before... and a 1000 times better...

Simon some lone wolf bad arse.... Sorry Guy Gardner been there, done that and a 1000 times better at it... and Jessica??? Please... its not coincidence this book now undersells Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps by 10% or more every month, and will continue to decline in sales...

These 2 are such poor characters, and so 1 dimensional that they make Kyle Rayner, clearly the weakest of the Earth GL characters, look like a deep well rounded and complete character by comparison.

These 2 have no reason to exist, are nothing but throw away tokens... are incapable of carrying a book... and honestly were nothing more than annual book diversity token stories one shots.... The only interesting characters in their book have been some of the villains... Please DC... these 2 are just perfect examples of why Crisis was needed way back when... Characters that serve absolutely no purpose, were added just to claim some diversity, and flat out stink to high heaven.... Put them and the rest of us out of our misery and just kill them off already... and just accept that the stupid experiment failed.