In Need of some Advice Dc fans... Is Rebirth a good point to jump onboard?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

So... Is this a good point for me to jump on with DC. Ive always been a fan of Batman but more so the tv shows and movies though I did like the Bane stuff in Knightfall and everything. I kinda want to get into Superman and Wonderwoman also Nightwing and all the Teen Titans stuff and maybe Justice League. ive heard that Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey were good to. The only little bit of Watchmen Ive gotten into was the movie. At Marvel Im a huge fan of Xmen (hence you can see why Im looking for something else, Im at the point where I just refuse to pay for the x-books) Avengers which is all bs right now. I also like Caprtain America and Ironman.

So just based on some of that.....is this a decent jumping on spot for me basically looking for something else and coming over from Marvel to DC?

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@hawk2916: It depends what Rebirth really is. From what I heard, it is move from DC to fix what is wrong with the New 52 and bring back missing things from before the new 52. It means that maybe, the Rebirth issues are not necessary for you because you know nothing form during or before the New 52. If you want a jumping point, start with the new regular issues of Batman, Dectective Comics, Justice League, ...

But If you really want to get into DC you should read all the main stories from what I call the Modern Era that starts with the Crisis on Infinit Earths reboot in 1986 to the Falshpoint story leading to the New 52 reboot in 2011. Some new 52 stories are also interresting to read. I will post the suggestions I made in a previous post:

I will base my recommendation on my personnal readings and form dc.wikia.com.

For the Justice League :

• Identity Crisis
  • Justice League: A New Beginning
  • JLA: New World Order
  • Justice League of America: Tornado's Path
  • Kingdom Come (elsworld but a must)

For Superman :

• All Star Superman
  • The Man of Steel
  • Superman: Birthright
  • Superman: Earth One
  • Superman for all Seasons
  • Superman: Kryptonite
  • Superman: Secret Origin (a very good take on Superman's beginnings)

For Batman :

• Batman: Hush (If you're going to read one, read this one)
  • Batman: The Long Halloween (Inspired part of The Dark Knight and is Two-face origin story)
  • Batman: The Man Who Laughs
  • Batman: Year One (Inspired part of Batman Begins)
  • Batman: The Killing Joke (Inspired Jokers in both Burton and Nolan's movies)
  • Batman: Dark Moon Rising
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (possible futur and Inspired Batman vs Superman that is coming out soon)

For Wonder Woman :

• Wonder Woman: The Circle
  • Wonder Woman: Down to Earth
  • Wonder Woman: Gods and Mortals
  • Wonder Woman: Odyssey
  • Wonder Woman: Who is Wonder Woman?

For Flash :

• The Flash: Blood Will Run
  • The Flash: Born to Run
  • The Flash: The Dastardly Death of the Rogues
  • The Flash: Lightning in a Bottle
  • The Flash: Wonderland

For Green Lanterns:

• Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn
  • DC: The New Frontier
  • Green Lantern: Rebirth
  • Green Lantern Corps: Recharge
  • Green Lantern: Secret Origin
  • Sinestro Corps War
  • Blackest Night (Long run and has zombies)

For Green Arrow:

• Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
  • Green Arrow: Quiver
  • Green Arrow: Sounds of Violence
  • Green Arrow: Year One

For Aquaman:

• Aquaman: American Tidal
  • Aquaman: Death of a Prince
  • Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis

Captain Marvel (because I like him):

• Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil
  • Shazam: The New Beginning
  • The Power of Shazam
  • Trials of Shazam

For Others:

• Logo: Portrait of a Bastich (Dark but so so fun to read)
  • Showcase presents Booster Gold
  • Plastic man: On the Lam
  • And the great Jack Kirby's work (aka the King of Comics):
    • Jack Kirby's fourth world
    • Kamandi
    • O.M.A.C

For new 52 reading :

• Batman: Court of Owls + The city of Owls
  • Flash: Move forward (if you're into flash, else you can skip)
  • Superman and the Men of steel (if you really want to read a new 52 superman)
  • Wonder Woman: Blood (one of the rare very good new 52 title)
  • Green Arrow: The Kill Machine (can fit with the TV serie if you watch it)
  • Aquaman: The Trench (another of the rare very good new 52 title)
  • Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
  • Forever evil (Justice League: Trinity war can be read before but is not a must)
  • Justice League: Darkseid War 1 + 2
  • Swamp thing (Charles soule's run - a very good run): Seeder + The Killing Field + The sureen
  • Swamp thing/ Animal Man - Animal man: Rotworld The red kingdom + Swamp thing: Rotworld The green kingdom
  • Justice League Dark: In the Dark (has all the dark art heroes of DC such as Constantine)

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jb681131: Thanks. I'll definitely look into those

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: I think it's probably as good a time as any to start reading DC. There will be a lot of titles starting from issue 1 again in June so it makes sense. I started reading DC when the New 52 began and that was also really good with the clocks resetting at issue 1.

DC is also the home of great one-shots as well, so there are plenty of awesome classics out there to read in the meantime.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

DC is also the home of great one-shots as well, so there are plenty of awesome classics out there to read in the meantime.

Yes. Mainly with their Verdigo and Wildstorm imprints:

• V for vendetta
  • The Watchmen
  • RED
  • Punk Rock Jesus
  • Road to perdition
  • A history of violence

DC, with those same imprints as also very good non-superhero series :

• 100 bullets (one of my all time favorit comics)
  • Preacher
  • American Vampire
  • Lucifer
  • Daytripper
  • DMZ
  • Fables
  • Hellblazer
  • iZombie
  • Northlanders
  • Sweeth Tooth
  • Transmetropolitan
  • Y: The last man
  • The Sandman

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, and stand alone graphic novels like The Last Halloween and Red Son. It was a lot harder getting into Marvel - which I haven't really been able to do - because I couldn't really find a good graphic novel on Spider-Man etc. I'm sure they exist(?) but I gave up looking.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Yes, Rebirth is a good jumping on point. If anything you won't have the big emotional gut punching response many fans will get from this, but the issue basically explains the whole history of DC comics, they're characters, and then introducing something new that will change everything. It also gives you a taste and glimpse of whats to come in the new series of many characters.

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheNaughtyTitan

Definitely.

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed new 52 because dc has a very large and confusing history. I've been reading heavily for awhile now but there are still plenty of times I had no idea who the big reveal character was or just didn't care about him

I'm worried about rebirth because it's all going to come back together and characters history's are going to be jumped because of events like new 52 and convergence

BUT I am hoping all the rebirth one shots realign some history so we can keep going good. I'd don't want to loose stories from new 52 like green lantern and especially batman

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Back in 2011 with the Flashpoint event the DC universe was restarted in an effort to attract new readers and the New 52 was created. In those five years of the New 52 though many characters and their legacies were lost and the return of said legacy is what Rebirth is all about.

DC Universe Rebirth #1 is an 80-page one-shot that starts this new phase of the DC universe and it's a really good starting point for new-comers. There might be one or two things that confuse you though, especially concerning Superman. I suggest that you read at least the following books to get a sense of what's going on.

• Superman The Men of Tomorrow by Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr.
  • Superman Lois and Clark by Dan Jurgens and Lee Weeks.
  • The Final Days of Superman by Peter J Tomasi with many artists.

With everything else you should be fine, but there are many books of the New 52 or even before that will give you a better sense of where the universe has been and where it's headed, for example the Justice League title by Geoff Johns. Feel free to visit my list on my profile of what I consider to be the best stories to come out of the New 52 era. And of course there are many great books from before Flashpoint that you could check out once you get comfortable with the characters and their legacies.

Epyon007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say Rebirth is as good as any place to start off. For the most part it's pretty easy to follow and you do not really need to know the previous history. Darkseid War and Final Days of Superman are useful for just some back story on the characters. They're also pretty good reads too.

Skarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Start w/Rebirth. DC is attempting to pull the threads of Flashpoint/N52/DC YOU into something that appeals to old and newer fans that only know some characters from the tv series. Some things from 52 will stay, others not. It's an attempt to give 'history' and 'legacy' back to the DCU. The Flash that I grew up with (co-existing w/Barry for a bit) Wally West is back. He's not the Wally from the Flash series on CW, he's the original Wally. The guy that inherited the mantle of the Flash after Barry died (long story). Wally (hopefully) will go to the Titans book, and get a solo title soon! For me, this fact alone brings the Titans closer to what I grew up with, Cyborg can stay in the JLA, I don't mind, he's earned it. The others work too well together to go their separate ways for long.

Read Final Days of Superman and Darkseid War if you feel you need to, but do read Rebirth, the individual titles have a Rebirth issue as well, then a number 1, then they go to twice a month. It should be easier to pick up this attempt at a DCU then with 52 and DC You.