Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (3366 posts) - - Show Bio

Watch this clip

Now watch this one

Notice anything? Yeah, Billy Batson is getting his powers DIRECTLY from the gods(plus Solomon) themselves. I think I'd be MORE okay with the name change from Captain Marvel to Shazam, possibly even like it, if they DID just cut out the wizard and have it be like this where he's getting his powers DIRECTLY from the gods. At least that way him being called Shazam makes more sense instead of it just being the "Shazam spell" where the name no longer is an acronym for the source of his powers and just a word with no real meaning. I mean it's an interesting take, but I think it works AGAINST the name change.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
#1 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it's really a big issue.

#2 Posted by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of curiosity did DC lose the rights to the name or they want to change it so people don't mistake him for his marvel counterpart?
Anyway nice idea. I really prefer Shazam to Captain Marvel, the word Shazam is more known around the world while no one knows who Captain Marvel is and the ones who know him know him as Shazam anyway.

#3 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (3366 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: They never HAD the rights to the name. Marvel trademarked the name Captain Marvel before DC got the rights to the original.

Also like I said I wouldn't MIND the name change so much if it wasn't for the fact the new origin works AGAINST the name change. Without the letters in the name standing for something, it doesn't work. It's just a made up word with NO meaning behind it.

#4 Posted by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

Shamoz.

Beata

#5 Posted by jayc1324 (26421 posts) - - Show Bio

DC screws up everything.

#6 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: They never HAD the rights to the name. Marvel trademarked the name Captain Marvel before DC got the rights to the original.

Also like I said I wouldn't MIND the name change so much if it wasn't for the fact the new origin works AGAINST the name change. Without the letters in the name standing for something, it doesn't work. It's just a made up word with NO meaning behind it.

Not really. It's the magic word Billy uses to transform into his superhero identity, also known as Shazam. I mean, it's not like his power set has done a lot of changing. You could still make the case that it means that without saying it, if I'm remembering things correctly.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
#7 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1379 posts) - - Show Bio

@smart_dork_dude: Just putting it out there - it was ALWAYS from the Wizard. Like that is the absolute original origin story - that the Wizard granted Billy the powers, and the magic word to invoke them is his name, which is Shazam. Yes, I realise the Wizard's name has that meaning behind it - but I didn't think that had been changed in the comics? I might not be remembering properly, but I thought his name was still Shazam, and that's what Billy has to say.

#8 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (3366 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: Shazam has always stood for Solomon, Hercules, Achilles, Zeus, Atlas(Or Apollo in some versions), and Mercury. It's a codeword that relates to his powers.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
#9 Edited by WIshIWasSuperman (1379 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: Shazam has always stood for Solomon, Hercules, Achilles, Zeus, Atlas(Or Apollo in some versions), and Mercury. It's a codeword that relates to his powers.

Yes, it stands for their names - my point is/was that it was the Wizard's name even in the original comic, and also it was the Wizard who granted Billy his powers - he never met all the gods, which it seemed you were suggesting earlier. Also, as far as I know this hasn't been changed (the acronym part), but on that count I could be wrong. They haven't really gone into yet in the new 52, now that I think about it - he doesn't even really know what his powers are yet, at least not fully.

#10 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (3366 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: No it's been called the "Shazam spell" and his powers come from magic itself.